Post by Captain Goddammit » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:26 pm

Yeah I had one too.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Re: I'm so old I remember when...

Post by Elderberry » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:31 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:Yeah, nowadays in my world, Elliot's phone number is "Hey Siri, call Elliot!"
Hahahaha. Ya, it's OK Google and Hey Cortana for me depending on what phone or device I'm using.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Skuzzy61
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by Skuzzy61 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:02 am

I had to go out and pick up the milk bottles and set out the empties.

The local grocery store got its first cooler. The first thing they stocked in it was milk. We all lamented how the end of the milk delivery was coming and the world would end because of it. Oh yes,..we still had drama back in those days, it was just more localized than today.
I really would like to change the world, but I do not have access to the source code!
Duct tape is like "The Force"! It has a dark and a light side, and holds the universe together!

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:35 am

Comic books were 3 for a quarter.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:14 pm

I'm not that old, but... I too had a paper route. Ice cream from Thrifty's was 25 cents a scoop. We'd wash and clean out my friend's parents (full size) station wagon, which was guaranteed to have around $5 in change in and under the seats. Triple scoop ice creams for all, and more candy than you could shake a stick at...Dad would pay $1 per lawn mowing, I bought RUN DMC's big breakout album Raising Hell on cassette tape from Long's Drugs with some of the proceeds. We used to fly cheap kites, ride the Knight Rider bigwheel, have dirt clod fights and play with slingshots for fun. It was indeed very simple. Also produced home-made cross bows, the older guys showed us how to make. It shot sharpened 12" coat hanger arrows we made. We also played with fire and gas when we got a little older.
No one died or was seriously injured from any of these activities...
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

Netty58
Burning Since: 2014

Post by Netty58 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:19 pm

I remember playing with mercury in chemistry class.

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:53 pm

Jackass wrote:
Then how do you explain the way you turned out?

Netty58
Burning Since: 2014

Post by Netty58 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:38 pm

On the phone thread...my phone number when I lived in England was Penketh 3771. That had to be errrr...oh my god. 40 years ago?

However, I can't remember my current cell phone number.

Elderberry
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:51 pm

Skuzzy61 wrote:I had to go out and pick up the milk bottles and set out the empties.

The local grocery store got its first cooler. The first thing they stocked in it was milk. We all lamented how the end of the milk delivery was coming and the world would end because of it. Oh yes,..we still had drama back in those days, it was just more localized than today.
My grandmother's house had a milk shoot built in. Basically, it was like a one-foot square cut-out with a door on the inside and another on the outside. The milkman would put the bottles in from the outside, you could pick them up on the inside.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:12 pm

My Uncle Mart was the milkman for Mammoth Ca. We would leave Bishop in the morning and drive all day through the mountains. Nice work if you can get it. My last house had a cabinet in the back porch with a wire bottom. Cooled by the basement temperature. Great for eggs and potatoes. Thrifty's ice cream was 10 cents a scoop, we killed spiders in the house with flaming hair spray, we made our own kites, I did ironing for $1.00 an hour, (so did my mom and sisters) and the freezer out in the garage was full of boysenberries and imitation ice milk.

My mom put up plums, apricots, peaches and made jam too. We also had avocados, guavas, nectarines and oranges. My dad killed the chickens when we weren't looking.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:54 pm

I was talking to a friend the other day who has started driving school busses, he's been telling me about the literally insane amounts of rules regulations and procedures, the extreme safety protocols etc.
Well god damn... when I was a grade school kid, the procedure when the school bus came to the railroad track was to stop and send a completely untrained second grader across the tracks on foot to wave the bus across if the coast was clear!

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:18 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:
Jackass wrote:
Then how do you explain the way you turned out?

I never said no one was deeply scarred...

Although at 13, some friends + gun-play = one of them with a hole through the wrist with a .45. Thankfully I was at my first Giants game that day and not present at said incident
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

pinemom

Post by pinemom » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:14 am

....making a new bar was sacrilege. And you got harpooned for attempting too.

Glad everyone got over that!
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:15 am

pinemom wrote:....making a new bar was sacrilege. And you got harpooned for attempting too.

Glad everyone got over that!
haha I' referenced that recently!!
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Just_Joe
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Black Rock Weather

Post by Just_Joe » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:32 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:I was talking to a friend the other day who has started driving school busses, he's been telling me about the literally insane amounts of rules regulations and procedures, the extreme safety protocols etc.
Well god damn... when I was a grade school kid, the procedure when the school bus came to the railroad track was to stop and send a completely untrained second grader across the tracks on foot to wave the bus across if the coast was clear!
Nothing's changed here. They'll still let any clown drive.
Once in high school, our driver slid off the road during a winter storm. The driver enlisted the boys to get out and push it out. As a reward, she let us smoke on the bus for the rest of the ride to school.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:11 am

Oh piney, I still remember a time before tisha2 even started the original ePlaya bar thread (though to be fair, I think there had been a bar thread on the site that came before this one). I was still in lurker mode, because back in those days this was a far nastier corner of the internet. Years later, after coming back from a break from Burning Man I couldn't help but notice the bar you and most others were posting in wasn't the original, but one of a couple duplicates... because the original bar thread (at nearly 3K pages of posts) was far too intimidating for most people. I don't mind having different threads each year (hell, we build a different city every year), nobody ever read that board start to finish anyways and the lower page count has proven to be a lot less intimidating to people.

I also remember milk bottles and milk chutes, and vaguely remember heating oil deliveries. My dad's 2nd wife's family had an older house that used the stuff, and though I was just a kid I remember that being a really big deal when the guy was supposed to come around. Looking back, I'm also amazed to have survived childhood, between various incidents with bb guns, actual guns, getting to play with use stuff like snowmobiles and chainsaws and spending way too much time sneaking around construction sites, junkyards, abandoned buildings, and other places you wouldn't think of as kid-friendly. Good times though... built character or something :)

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:58 am

built character or something
this.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Aurelia
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: the Love Camp

Post by Aurelia » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:43 am

Oh Yes You Characters !

weird to attempt to explain how normal life was then
except I can remember when I begged my family to only speak English and only BUY white bread because it was so embarrassing
Now my family begs me to teach languages and bake bread

xoA.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:50 am

I remember when the bar thread would crash my computer.

I could still have milk delivery if I chose. Winder Dairy, they install a chill box on the porch, do milk and other dairy, bread, eggs, produce, and even meals. If my ability to go grocery shopping were ever fully compromised, I'd use their service.

Skuzzy61
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by Skuzzy61 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:20 am

I remember when Mom would yell, she needed some butter, we would all scramble. The slow one got caught and would be dealing with blisters from running the butter churn for a few hours.
I really would like to change the world, but I do not have access to the source code!
Duct tape is like "The Force"! It has a dark and a light side, and holds the universe together!

Thecatman
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Post by Thecatman » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:30 pm

When ever we'd go out to eat I remember my dad asking the waitress for a
Doggie Bag

as opposed to a "box" or "take out box"
My cats are cuter than your grandkids!

"Government is not the solution to our problems, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

^Rhino!
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Black Rock Beacon

Post by ^Rhino! » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:34 pm

I'm so old that I remember shen cowboys carried guns in a holster on their belt instead of cel phones.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
Black Rock Beacon - '2010, 2012-2016
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever. Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Div. of Geology 2009-2015
I'm here until the serendipitous synchronicity is ubiquitous.

Patsh

Post by Patsh » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:06 pm

I'm so old, I remember the day Mom brought home a(nother) little bundle of joy, now known to us here as our sweet Delle!!

:D :D :D
formerly, Triken

keep on triken' Mamma!
Triken' ma blues away....

Theatre is Life
Cinema is Art
Television is Furniture

Thecatman

Post by Thecatman » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:27 pm

^Rhino! wrote:I'm so old that I remember shen cowboys carried guns in a holster on their belt instead of cel phones.

Not to stray off topic but
they still do in Virginia City and not just the street actors shooting blanks. Go into The Bucket of Blood saloon on just about any Saturday and there may be several people/cowboys with a revolver on their belt. Usually .357/.38 special or .45 long colt. Western style single shot six. No blanks here.
Open carry is legal in Nevada though you rarely see it except maybe in some out of the way place like Tuscarora or Montello. Ione. McGill. Unionville. And VC etc.

Isn't open carry was legal in Missouri?

"Government is not the solution to our problems, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

DoctorIknow
Burning Since: 1998

Post by DoctorIknow » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:10 am

I'm so old I remember when bottles of CocaCola had a green tint, had the name of the bottling city embossed on the bottom (and the name Coca Cola was also embossed) and the bottle itself weighted 14 ounces and only held 6.5 ounces. (a POUND in the hand of an 8 year old in a sensuous shape that fit perfect!) Speaking of a drink of only 6.5 ounces, what a fucked-up state of affairs that now kids need 32ounce Big Gulps (or bigger) to have their thrist quenched.

I'm so old I remember in movie The Gods Must Be Crazy, that the natives realistically used the Coke bottle to pound stuff...the bottle wouldn't break...try that with any soda or beer bottle... Except for the top of the neck, the bottle was almost unbreakable the walls were so thick.

I'm so old I know the word quenched!

Free Playa Name for any virgin....although I doubt they venture into the old folks home:
Quench

vargaso
Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Post by vargaso » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:24 pm

I'm so old...I remember when you had to press a certain number combination on the cable box to unlock the Playboy channel and get a look at naked women while the parents were out to dinner. Kids these days, they can just Google that shit now. They don't even know, man...

Thecatman

Post by Thecatman » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:02 pm

I remember when cable TV was never heard of,
though I do remember seeing a TV program called Playboy After Dark in the TV guide that came with the Sunday newspaper.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:23 pm

vargaso wrote:I'm so old...I remember when you had to press a certain number combination on the cable box to unlock the Playboy channel and get a look at naked women while the parents were out to dinner. Kids these days, they can just Google that shit now. They don't even know, man...
I remember when they just sort of scrambled the xxx channel, but you could still kinda' see it.

Wigwam
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: The Wanderers

Post by Wigwam » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:23 pm

I'm so old I remember my mother ordering coffee in a cafe and the cream came in little glass bottles with cardboard lids.
The truth is more important than the facts.
I'm not an actor, but I've played one on TV.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:30 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:I remember when they just sort of scrambled the xxx channel, but you could still kinda' see it.
Yeah, and all the cable company did to allow you to see it is send you a filter box that would remove the noise. People would make their own to descramble the video too.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Return to “Open Discussion”