The pre-sale curse

All things outside of Burning Man.
Monkeystyle
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Morning Cock n' Tales

The pre-sale curse

Post by Monkeystyle » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:11 pm

Does anyone else think that buying a pre-sale BM ticket is a horrible idea? I mean its like a curse. it seems like if you buy a Pre-sale ticket then it is almost a guarantee that you are going to miss out this year.... I mean, really, why else would 90% of the tickets being offered on eplaya and third party sites be asking for $650-$700 a piece and claiming that the tickets were pre-sale? they must have sold 30 000 of those things!

TT120
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Re: The pre-sale curse

Post by TT120 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:37 pm

Because they're really NOT presale tickets but people are saying they are so they can make a profit without people yelling at them for scalping tickets.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley
We welcome the stranger, but that doesn't mean we have to like them, nor they us, and that's alright. - AntiM

W6BJD

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:58 pm

People will find out, because the price is on the ticket. Of course, people might not report being ripped off that way.

It could be that a disproportionate number of eager yet unprepared buy them in December/January and then find out that they bit off more than they could chew.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:27 pm

There are no gift tickets or contests for tickets either, not sure it's a curse on one set of ticket buyers or the changing nature of available third party tickets. In some of the years past there has been a healthy fair market sale of tickets approaching the event, which hasn't happened this year, and alot of ditching of pre-sale tickets below cost, which I don't see. This year though, with demand higher, the only tickets rising to the observable surface are the more expensive pre-sale, and yeah, who is going to buy a ticket and then turn in seller for scalping, thereby maybe getting the ticket cancelled? This year the pre-sale tickets are not yet going far below cost as they have in years past. Is a person who bought pre-sale tickets sweating the OMG sale, losing money selling tickets? Probably not. Some curse.....
Camp THREAT: Dominating the porta potties 3 years running.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

Monkeystyle
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Morning Cock n' Tales

Post by Monkeystyle » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:56 pm

thanks for picking up the heavy sarcasm there TT120 :-P
it drives me nuts how people can just do that. and its at least 3/4 of the posts for tickets offered that I've seen.

pink
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Post by pink » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:01 pm

Well you could buy 4 in the presale. And then your friends flake.....
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!

Return to “Open Discussion”