Therapy, psychology, and all that jazz.

All things outside of Burning Man.
dana

Re: Therapy, psychology, and all that jazz.

Post by dana » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:15 am

My favorite Freud story (myth?) is that he got deeply into exploring his own dreams and somewhere in the depths of that process he got totally overwhelmed and freaked out. He then stopped the whole personal exploration and wrote his book on dream interpretation.

Penis envy? Wait, you mean that's really not the actual reason why we have all these Lara Croft type badass women super heroes now??!!! :roll:

Tin Halo
Burning Since: 2004

Post by Tin Halo » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:19 pm

FIGJAM wrote:I would just add that a many people stay in those relationships for fear of the unknown.

There is a weird sense of security in an abusive relationship because the victims know the routine, but if they leave they don't know what will happen.

(...walks away whistling aimlessly, hands in pockets...)

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:00 pm

kiboy wrote:Sorry for being so snarky. Didn't mean to hurt anyones feelings. The problem here is that I'm getting only one side of the story. I learned long ago that nobody is totally innocent. But you sound like such a sweet guy maybe i'm wrong. :roll:
You are the reason I haven't been on eplaya at all for several weeks. You sound exactly like the therapists I described.
I WAS totally innocent, I had a drug-addict fucked-up freak explode on me. If I knew that's what she was, I'd have stayed away. As soon as I found out, all I tried to do was get away.
You'd do well to stay the fuck away from me. If this conversation happened in person, it would go rather poorly.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:36 pm

Or:

it could happen with an EplayaAssholeRecognitionTherapyHug. :shock:

paging EARTH to the Bar...
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

kiboy
Burning Since: 2000

Post by kiboy » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:49 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:
kiboy wrote:Sorry for being so snarky. Didn't mean to hurt anyones feelings. The problem here is that I'm getting only one side of the story. I learned long ago that nobody is totally innocent. But you sound like such a sweet guy maybe i'm wrong. :roll:

I WAS totally innocent,
Well then I stand corrected. You're the first.

Don't believe everything you think.

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:28 am

(((kiboy, :) CaptainGoddammit)))
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:25 am

After Bettelheim's suicide in 1990, detractors claimed that Bettelheim exploded in screaming anger at students, and went beyond firm treatment to corporal punishment. Three former patients questioned his work and characterized him as a cruel tyrant. Roberta Carly Redford, a student at the Orthogenic School from age 16 to 23, claims in her book Crazy: My Seven Years at Bruno Bettelheim's Orthogeneic School that she was "beaten regularly, emotionally abused, and subjected to a variety of humiliations. Bettelheim himself was a key part of this treatment." Other former patients wrote or spoke publicly to tell how much Bettelheim had helped them, so there seemed to be no consensus.[26][27][28][29]

Alida Jatich, who lived at the school from 1966 to 1972 from ages twelve to eighteen, wrote in an initially anonymous April 1990 letter to the Chicago Reader, “Bettelheim told the children over and over how lucky they were to be at his school, and that if they didn't do as they were told, they would end up in a state mental asylum where they would be given drugs and shock treatments.” She further stated, “I lived in fear of Bettelheim’s unpredictable temper tantrums, public beatings, hair pulling, wild accusations and threats and abuse in front of classmates and staff. One minute he could be smiling and joking, the next minute he could be exploding.” Ms. Alida Jatich publicly revealed her name and the time she was at the school in another letter a year later.[30]

In a July 1990 letter to the Chicago Reader, a former counselor at the school writing anonymously stated, "At that time, in the late forties, I probably had more experience upon which to assess the adjustment of the children than most of the counselors at the school. By age 22, when I worked there, I had spent fully a third of my life in group living with a variety of youngsters under stress; four years in an orphan home followed by three and a half years in the wartime army. I understood that the stream of human normality was very wide, and that time healed many wounds without human intervention. It amazed me that Bettelheim, a man from another culture, could look at the same child as I and see a 'schizophrenic' while I saw another rambunctious American kid. What did a forty year old Viennese intellectual really know about the inner (or outer for that matter) life of a ten-year old West Side Chicago Irish kid who had no one to care for him?”[31]

A September 10, 1990, Newsweek article stated: “There are indications that at least the local psychiatric community knew exactly what was going on, and did nothing. Chicago analysts scathingly referred to the doctor as ‘Beno Brutalheim.’”[32]

A Los Angeles Times book review of Richard Pollak's states that two separate women reported that Bettelheim fondled their breasts and those of other female students at the school.[33]

In November 1990, a Chicago Tribune article noted that Bertram Cohler, who worked with Bettelheim and briefly headed the school after Bettelheim left, got the idea from Bettelheim that his PhD was in art history, and Jacquelyn Sanders, who worked with Bettelheim for twelve years, also had the same idea. Ralph Tyler, who brought Bettelheim to the University of Chicago first to teach art history and then in 1944 to become the new director of the Orthogenic School, assumed Bettelheim had two PhDs with one being in art history and the other in psychology. In some of his writings Bettelheim implied that he wrote a dissertation on the philosophy of education. The University of Chicago's official biographical sketch credits Bettelheim with only one PhD and does not specify the field.[7]

This same Chicago Tribune article also contained additional accounts of abusive treatment of child patients at the 'Orthogenic School,' such as:
• '"I lived for years in terror of his beatings, in terror of his footsteps in the dorms--in abject, animal terror,"'
• 'would pull an adolescent girl out of a shower, then hit and berate her in front of dormitory mates,'
• 'another former student, Roberta Redford, recalls being summoned from a toilet stall for a similar thrashing,'
• 'Orthogenic School patient Charles Pekow had allergies, but was not allowed to take medication, even when overcome by asthmatic attacks. Bettelheim thought allergies were psychologically induced—a theory largely laid to rest by subsequent medical research,' and
• 'Richard Younker, a photojournalist in Chicago, remembers how he and a dormitory mate, both Cub Scouts, decorated their wall with a plaque illustrating how to tie knots. `"Dr. B said to the whole dorm: `Look, the two boys who are so twisted up inside show the whole world by putting knots on the wall,`" Younker says.'

In her April 1991 letter to the Chicago Reader, Alida Jatich wrote, "I suspect that the main reason why it's so hard to talk about the Bettelheim tragedy is this: in one way or another, he induced all of us to act in ways that we feel sick to think about now. This includes kids, parents, staff members, students and faculty at the University of Chicago, colleagues, and so forth.”[34]

Two biographies published in the 1990s revealed evidence that Bettelheim had lied about or exaggerated many parts of his background. These included wartime experiences, family life, academic credentials and the use of corporal punishment at the Orthogenic School. While Richard Pollak's biography[35][33] expressed a strongly negative view of Bettelheim, that by Nina Sutton[36] offered a different interpretation of some of the material. Gaps emerged between the public reputation Bettelheim had established in the US and some of the facts revealed during this controversy, but some commentators made charges that related to Bettelheim's personality.
Frida Be You & Me

katy potaty
Burning Since: 2011

Post by katy potaty » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:26 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:
I figure shit out for myself.
And it's really that simple. The crazy ones are the fun ones. Almost any guy can tell you that. The problem was as simple as me sometimes choosing people above the hot/crazy matrix line, or hanging around too long with ones below the hot/crazy line but firmly in the "fun zone" area. There's a chart for this stuff, that 'rapists tend to disapprove of but it tends to be very accurate in real life.
Now everything is good, thanks to me straightening that out.

However you got there, Captain Goddammit, at least you got there. Glad things are better now :D

Return to “Open Discussion”