The Bar

All things outside of Burning Man.
sparkletarte

Post by sparkletarte » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:40 pm

haha, well the cops sure believe it, because they used him. He was interviewed in the local paper and he says he's just practiced at picking up energy, and it's something we all can do but most of us don't know how to do it. He doesn't charge for what he does by the way.

But yeah, you might want to call the cops and my friend and her family and tell them it's not true.

That's a weird comment RG. It happened. The cops gave a report in the paper about it. Do you think they are lying are distoring the truth? Why would they do that? I don't think generally speaking cops are excited to say they used a psychic.

Ranger Genius

Post by Ranger Genius » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:40 pm

Instance of what?
“We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.”

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:40 pm

and i agree. anyone who is worth a shit will not charge you to do spiritual work.
It’s an honor to gift things, yes?

I’m using this pic in my current artist’s bio, along with other shots of my work. This form in particular has been speaking to me lately. I saw your "flare" pic and thought you'd enjoy this one.
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather

regynalonglank

Post by regynalonglank » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:40 pm

reasonable = able to reason. if something works, even if you don't know why, it would be the result of reasoning to assume that it is valid. it would also be reasonable to assume that you just don't know why, and it doesn't matter.
\v/

/ \

just listen to the drum

sparkletarte

Post by sparkletarte » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:42 pm

Okay well with your herbal comment you lost me. Oh yeah, our medical system is sooo right even though it's only been used for what, 100 years? And people have been using plant medicine for what, 1,000 of years and it works? Do you believe that what you ingest has no effect on your body? Or pardon me, only those items scientifically proven to have an effect do so?

There are many things we don't know about the world yet RG, and it's rather arrogant to think that we know everything, which is what I get from what you are saying.

regynalonglank

Post by regynalonglank » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:43 pm

LeChatNoir wrote:
and i agree. anyone who is worth a shit will not charge you to do spiritual work.
It’s an honor to gift things, yes?

I’m using this pic in my current artist’s bio, along with other shots of my work. This form in particular has been speaking to me lately. I saw your "flare" pic and thought you'd enjoy this one.
it is amazing actually...the glowing metal in the forefront just seems like its not real, it's so intense...it comes across as a cartoon or something, and then when you realize it is real its like mindblowingly cool.

yes, as in the way the one who cleans the temple is honored...gifting of what is gifted to you, through you...not of you.
\v/

/ \

just listen to the drum

Ranger Genius

Post by Ranger Genius » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:43 pm

And the local police are experts at detecting deception, or just a plain old lucky guess? I go by track record, and no psychic detective has ever been able to demonstrate a more than random chance of being able to detect dick, in a properly cheat-proofed environment.
“We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.”

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:44 pm

That's a weird comment RG.

In RG's defense, I'd say he's being his skeptical self and I can appreciate that. Not always agree with it, but I'm skeptical too, so I can relate. I believe that there are those who will help with what gifts they have. If they want to charge you, then beware. A gift is meant to be given.

sparkletarte

Post by sparkletarte » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:44 pm

A lucky guess? In a huge forest? Please. He pinpointed the place her body was.

Ranger Genius

Post by Ranger Genius » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:45 pm

I'm not saying we know everything. Just that we know some things aren't true.

What was the average life expectancy 100 years ago? or 300?

sparkletarte

Post by sparkletarte » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:45 pm

I don't have a problem with people charging for a service. If I'm gifted at being a business owner, or at arranging flowers, or at creating meals, does that mean I should not charge people for that gift?

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:46 pm

gifting of what is gifted to you
So right on sister.

I had to use photoshop to tone down the glow of the forging, actually, because it was so bright compared to my face, it look really unreal... but I promise, ti was right there and hot as hell.

regynalonglank

Post by regynalonglank » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:47 pm

you don't get those gifts from a higher plane, you work for them, they are from you. no one has a right to charge money for spiritual work. it is not of them. it is of a higher place...just my opinion!
\v/

/ \

just listen to the drum

sparkletarte

Post by sparkletarte » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:47 pm

I'm not saying that current med doesn't have it's benefits, that would be foolish. I am saying that tradtitional and conventional meds can be used together to great benefit.

Calling it all bullshit is quite a bit different.

Ranger Genius

Post by Ranger Genius » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:48 pm

Forgive me if I don't take it at face value as being true. there have been a lot of widely publicized cases that turned out to be complete frauds or just plain not true. Define "pinpointed," for instance, and "huge." Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Just because we want to believe something doesn't mean that we have the liberty of tossing out everything we know about how the world works in order to accept it.

regynalonglank

Post by regynalonglank » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:48 pm

LeChatNoir wrote:
gifting of what is gifted to you
So right on sister.

I had to use photoshop to tone down the glow of the forging, actually, because it was so bright compared to my face, it look really unreal... but I promise, ti was right there and hot as hell.
oh it looks real, its just hard to grok that shape as a light source...
\v/

/ \

just listen to the drum

Ranger Genius

Post by Ranger Genius » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:49 pm

perhaps a double exposure would be in order, noir.

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:51 pm

I’m gifted with the abiltiy to forge metal. I’ve also spent lots of time and money honing that skill. I make my living forging steel because I have to subscribe to the system that consumes us. Whatever gifts I have, I was gifted them without payment and so I’ll gift them on down the line.

Perhaps my previous statement, like most blanket statements, was a bad one, but I fear it hold true more often than not.

yeah, I think regyna's got it... there's a difference between using my body to feed me and my spirit to feed others.

And by the way, if I won the lottery, I'd do what I do for free... no kiddin'

sparkletarte

Post by sparkletarte » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:51 pm

I think that people have to work to develop spiritual gifts, just like we have to work on other types of gifts. Not everyone can be trained to do everything- some of us are naturally better at and drawn to certain disciplines. I don't think it's fair for me to say, yes I will charge you for making you a wonderful meal as a gifted chef (for example), but you can't charge me a service that you are giving me. However if someone wants to give their gift for free, that's fine it's their choice. I don't think it's appropriate to judge whether someone has the right to charge people for something or not. If you don't agree with the charge then don't use that person.

What about gifted artists? That could be called spiritual.

Ranger Genius

Post by Ranger Genius » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:52 pm

there are a number of things that work from ancient medicine. Like aspirin for instance. And aloe. Why doesn't modern medicine use these things? Oh yeah, it does. Medical science takes what works, even (as in the case of some antidepressents or antipsychotic drugs) when they don't know precisely how or why they work. There's no conspiracy to suppress knowledge there. They took the stuff that worked and figured out why when possible, and discarded the stuff that was just plain mysticism and wrong.

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:53 pm

perhaps a double exposure would be in order, noir
Well... the steel loses it’s glow quite quickly, especially out there on the end where it’s thinner. You’ve got to act quick. In the real full size pic, it looks great because you can pick out the detail of my face and the forging too. They’re both in the same plane of focus.

Ranger Genius

Post by Ranger Genius » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:54 pm

got a website? post it and then let us see the full pic.

regynalonglank

Post by regynalonglank » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:54 pm

well, i agree with you somewhat - everyone has to eat. but you can get money gifted to you for doing the work without "charging" for it. you say you can give a donation if you are so inclined, or some such thing. but to say i will do a spiritual cleansing on your home for fifty bucks is just wierd to me. it would be like charging admission to a church. you are expected to give what you can, but if you have nothing you can still come in.
\v/

/ \

just listen to the drum

sparkletarte

Post by sparkletarte » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:56 pm

rg- she was found in a heavily mountainous forested park over 1,000 acres or so. It streches along the water for about 8 (?) miles. She was found somewhat near to the water. He told them where to find her- in a little depression. They had already been through the area searching with dogs and the Search & Rescue team with no luck. No only did he tell them where to find her, but also he directed them to a piece of her clothing before that.

Ranger Genius

Post by Ranger Genius » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:56 pm

But what I was thinking was to use the glow of the steel for an exposure of your face with the forging out of frame, then a brief exposure of the forging, or a longer one with the aperture stopped down, so you didn't have to choose between glared out forging and dark face.

Ranger Genius

Post by Ranger Genius » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:57 pm

Do you know this particular psychic?

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:58 pm

AHHH... the conversation is progressing at a pace faster than the typing allows!!

Let’s say I have a gift and I give it to you. You feel the need to pay me something for it. Well I don’t’ wan anything for it. If you say “I’ll fix you a meal” and I happen to be hungry, then I’d accept. If I wasn’t then I’d say, “Give it to the fellow behind me, because he looks hungry to me”

but I’d never accept money. To accept money for a sacred thing, in my opinion, adulterates it and makes it unholy. Just my take on it though.

Does that make sense?

Ranger Genius

Post by Ranger Genius » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:58 pm

People have to work to develop the skill to be a good con artist, too..that doesn't mean I support them being able to use it to make a living.

regynalonglank

Post by regynalonglank » Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:01 pm

LeChatNoir wrote:Does that make sense?
yes, it does. that is why most people who are truly gifted in that way do not do it for a living. they do it in addition to whatever they do to get along in the world...much like many artists.

there are those who believe that if you do try to make it your living you will lose that gift...and become a charlatan, faking it for money long after the gift is gone.
\v/

/ \

just listen to the drum

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:02 pm

But what I was thinking was to use the glow of the steel for an exposure of your face with the forging out of frame, then a brief exposure of the forging, or a longer one with the aperture stopped down, so you didn't have to choose between glared out forging and dark face.
Oh... I went into Photoshop and carefully cut out each one and changed the brightness of each to match up very well. It took a long time, but I’m satisfied with the results and I’m a nitpicking psychopath for detail. The black background helped a lot with the edits.

Return to “Open Discussion”