The Bar

All things outside of Burning Man.
sputnik
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Ubercarney

Post by sputnik » Tue May 17, 2005 7:37 pm

Sue, sorry to hear your day is going poorly. Here's your drink.
It's going to be alright.

Zulegoona

Post by Zulegoona » Tue May 17, 2005 7:45 pm

Evening,.. Miss you too cowboyangel, good to see you stopped in.

I'll have a dark beer if there is any.

Zulegoona

Post by Zulegoona » Tue May 17, 2005 7:49 pm

Hey Sputnik, what you doing with all your free time now the prototype windmill isn't a going thing anymore?

Lassen Forge
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Post by Lassen Forge » Tue May 17, 2005 8:41 pm

sputnik wrote:Sue, sorry to hear your day is going poorly. Here's your drink.
Bless you, Sputnikski... it's been a lousy day.

Guess I'm not alone, tho... sorry to hear about the windmills... kinda hurt hearing it got shot down - I thought it would've been awesome.

cowboyangel

Post by cowboyangel » Tue May 17, 2005 10:02 pm

heelo sue and zule and sputnik and helli and boy...robitussin and red bull will really fuck you up mightily......must consume more inhalents, mystical mists and bog venom, playa dust and ...where the fuck is bambi? that lascivious rascal?
"We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believe is false."- William Casey, CIA Director 1981

helitack

Post by helitack » Wed May 18, 2005 5:33 am

heli brews some special dark roast coffee for the bar. Gotta go herd Hollywoods today, see ya. Enjoy!
Actively helping President Trump build the wall

Winning hearts and minds in lovely TexMexistan...

sputnik

Post by sputnik » Wed May 18, 2005 6:08 am

Bay Bridge Sue wrote:Guess I'm not alone, tho... sorry to hear about the windmills... kinda hurt hearing it got shot down - I thought it would've been awesome.
We're still doing the windmills, it's just my design that was 'voted off the island'. No big deal really. I am fully behind the project and will work as hard as I can to get the other design built and out there.

This friday is the burn party for my windmill. We need to see how this will burn. The structure is mostly open space so I'm pretty sure we're going to need to add something to keep it going. The plan right now is to spray the structure down with kerosene or other flammable liquid that doesn't evap fast.

ahhhh...coffee.

Lassen Forge

Post by Lassen Forge » Wed May 18, 2005 8:11 am

(Stumbles into bar, half asleep... smells coffee and eyes open!)

Ahhh, superstrong French Roast! Thanks, Heli!! Hope you have fun with the touristas... >giggles<

Heya Sput... G'morning! Glad to hear about the widmills still being a go... can't wait to see 'em! Wish I could be there for the burn - bet they'll be awesome...

visions of flaming windmill vanes floating through the air in a cloud of dust >>giggles<<)

You *might* be able to incorporate something like small baggies strategically placed in the structure so when it burns it "releases" the K-1 in them to assist the burn... Don't quite know how it'd work, but it might help combat the evaporation problem... Just an idea...

Gotta go fire up the ERC radio system inna bit, trying to get an auxiliary station set-up for my office (since our building is supposed to be the alternate ERC), it'll be fun if I get the approvals and whatnot... big thing is interference with the commercial broadcast towers 500' north of here. But if we get the OK I'll be able to talk pretty solidly to all over the continent and beyond... (We did a trial about a year ago and hit Australia somewhat regularly, Alaska and the Midwest pretty consistantly, and Nevada and SoCal like it was next door, all on 100 watts...)... they say it has to do with being surrounded by salt water on 3 sides...

Anyway, gotta get goin'... hope y'all's day goes awesome. Thanks for the 'Joe...

Hugz,
BBS

Edited to fix formating and to add an idea...

sputnik

Post by sputnik » Wed May 18, 2005 8:15 am

'morning Sue.

What the hell is ERC radio? Can I listen?

sputnik

Post by sputnik » Wed May 18, 2005 8:26 am

Bay Bridge Sue wrote:You *might* be able to incorporate something like small baggies strategically placed in the structure so when it burns it "releases" the K-1 in them to assist the burn... Don't quite know how it'd work, but it might help combat the evaporation problem... Just an idea...
Yeah, actually the idea for lighting it up includes model rocket motors aimed at bags containing some appropriately flammable substance.

Lassen Forge

Post by Lassen Forge » Wed May 18, 2005 8:34 am

sputnik wrote:'morning Sue.

What the hell is ERC radio? Can I listen?
Emergency Response Center - We have a system set up on the 40 meter Ham Radio Bands as a failsafe backup (as long as the band conditions are right)... If you have a ham band receiver you can catch us between 9:30 and 10:30 (Pacific time) - starts with Nevada Div. Emg. Mgmt at 9:30 on 7.248, Caltrans at 9:45 on 7.250, and Calif Ofc. of emergency Services at 10:00 on 7.230 (All times Pacific, All freq's in MHz.)

Basically they're check-ins to see how well we can transmit/receive, we use the old Ma Bell "circuit merit" system (0-5, 0 being unreadable, 5 being perfect) to different points here and beyond. Our Station id "Caltrans Oakland", so if you hear that it's probably me. ;~) So yeah, if you got a Shortwave receiver (or a Ham Rig) you can (hopefully!) hear us!!

Aw heck, rain's starting (again)... I thought this was supposed to be May, not December!! Keep this up we may need to build our camp on pontoons!!! (As the man floats off on his raft, burning merrily...) Maybe the theme this year should have been "Norse Mythology and Customs" and the man could be on a Funeral Boat or something! >giggles<)

sputnik

Post by sputnik » Wed May 18, 2005 8:45 am

I don't have a ham rig or shortwave, though I do know a ham. Is this the Litton ERC I found on the internet?

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed May 18, 2005 9:52 am

Careful Sue, suggesting themes can lead to midnight visits from the first camp terror squads.* They will arrive on undecorated golfcarts and shake you up pretty good. If you sass them too much, rumor has it, you will get a front row seat to the burn, as it were. Inside the man.

Thanks for the coffee.

*This is especially true if you upstage Larry by having a better theme idea.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Lassen Forge

Post by Lassen Forge » Wed May 18, 2005 11:49 am

theCryptofishist wrote:Careful Sue, suggesting themes can lead to midnight visits from the first camp terror squads.* They will arrive on undecorated golfcarts and shake you up pretty good. If you sass them too much, rumor has it, you will get a front row seat to the burn, as it were. Inside the man.

Thanks for the coffee.

*This is especially true if you upstage Larry by having a better theme idea.
Naw, they wouldn't... wait a minute... what's this? An envelope on my desk?

(Picks up envelope marked "BBS" in black KENO crayon, white powder that resembles playa dust seeping from seams...)

Lessee what it says...

(opens envelope, plume of playa dust wafts over desk, settling on expensive electronic crapola... )

Hmmm... Interesting... looks like some kinda red ink...

"Du not fil de othur berners heds wif subversif thots anee moor. You haf bin warnd."

Looks like a reddish splotch on the bottom, and a skull and crossbones...

I wonder if that means anything?

cowboyangel

Post by cowboyangel » Wed May 18, 2005 6:18 pm

3 Liters of Jäger please......
"We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believe is false."- William Casey, CIA Director 1981

Zulegoona

Post by Zulegoona » Wed May 18, 2005 6:34 pm

* wanders in CBA sits alone in the otherwise empty bar waiting to be served*

evening

* goes behind bar and pours a glass of Jäger *

will this do yeah?

Zulegoona

Post by Zulegoona » Wed May 18, 2005 9:33 pm

* as if a switch was flipped, Zule come back to life *

Hey gather around kiddies the drinks are on me in honor of Blue's birthday.

Zulegoona

Post by Zulegoona » Wed May 18, 2005 9:47 pm

Well ,... I need to head out, help your selves,... good night

Lassen Forge

Post by Lassen Forge » Wed May 18, 2005 10:02 pm

Happy birthday to blue
Happy birthday to Blue
Happy birthday, y'ol' well, you know... >>giggles<<
Happy Birthday to Blue!!!

Congrats on being 21!! >grins<<

A round on me to whoever's still hanging out here... kinda dark... maybe I ought to refill these lanterns one of these days!!

blueniteowl

Post by blueniteowl » Wed May 18, 2005 10:07 pm

Ah gee thanks, it was yesterday, but better late than never.

Oh, do I get to be 21 forever? That would be nice. Yes bartender, I'm only 21.

blueniteowl

Post by blueniteowl » Wed May 18, 2005 10:08 pm

Z, sorry I left you hanging. I was wandering and got distracted. And you bought drinks and all. *smooches*

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu May 19, 2005 8:56 am

Coffee's up!
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

sputnik

Post by sputnik » Thu May 19, 2005 9:20 am

Thanks Fishie. I'm still waking up. Went to see SW Episode III last night with some burner friends and had a great time (I was a bathrobe jedi!). But now I need coffee...

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu May 19, 2005 9:37 am

So, what's the burner gloss on Episode III?
The Lady with a Lamprey

sputnik

Post by sputnik » Thu May 19, 2005 9:49 am

Acting was on par with episodes I and II (which means it was bad). Story was darker. All loose ends tied up, though I feel like some of them were tied up too hastily and with little thought as to why. Specifically why Yoda decides he must go into exile, and how they all so easily get away and go into seclusion for the next 18 years.

But we had fun, and that was the point.

I hope this is the end. I hope George doesn't decide to do episodes VII, VIII and IX.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu May 19, 2005 10:36 am

I haven't heard any noise about the final 3 episodes for years. In fact, in all the publicity, it seems like he's more or less retiring. (but it's all spin anyway.)

I only ever saw episode 4. fun at the time, I suppose. Personally, I find it dissapointing that the same two droids were in the first trilogy. It may sound like a quibble, but there was something more profound in the idea that these two ordinary "people" got caught up in things and changed thing rather than they were involved all the time in the power struggle. I think that some of what Lucas has been saying about the loss of democracy to empire (he sites the roman republic and pre-napolionic france--some sort of democracy, but not very good ones) and peoples' complicity in that. And having the droids stand in for ordinary citizens means more to that democracy idea than having them continue to be functionaries in a power system. it could be sort of oh the dems are in power, now it's the republicans (and I don't care which is which in this analogy) and r2 and creepio are just party hacks.

IMHO>
The Lady with a Lamprey

Lassen Forge

Post by Lassen Forge » Thu May 19, 2005 4:06 pm

(Stumbles back in, sheepish look on her face yet again...)

I have a debt of honor to fulfill. Do we have that barrel of Grappa still stashed in the back room? I need to go drown myself in it! If not, a few shots would be appreciated.

sputnik

Post by sputnik » Thu May 19, 2005 4:27 pm

ummm...so you're going to get blazing drunk because of a debt of honor?

eta: OK. <rolling out the barrel> Here you go.

Have a barrel of fun.

Lassen Forge

Post by Lassen Forge » Thu May 19, 2005 4:34 pm

It's a long story...

I said something claiming offense to someone offensive about what they said (or more like the way they said it) and when I re-read it I realize I had misstated to where it sounded (on re-re-reading it) like I was saying something offensive about someone totally non-offensive...
And I meant not offense the way it sounded but to the one who was offensive without being offensive to anyone, and, well...

Mmmm... Good grappa makes me like that!!

Back to my blather... I just couldn't find my deuling pistols. The swords were bent. They put a net under the cliff.

But the most importnat reason is always the best...
any reason in a dust storm is a good reason to tie one on...

Good to see ya, Sputnik! Looks like a barrel of cheer! Thanks for rolling out the barrel, is the gang all here? >>giggles<<

Brought to you by the makers of "Polkacide" accordians... put a little wind in YOUR life. www.wherestheearplugs.com

cowboyangel

Post by cowboyangel » Thu May 19, 2005 4:50 pm

think 'thunderdome. Jäger please.

Return to “Open Discussion”