Work In Progress 2015/2016

All things outside of Burning Man.
trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Work In Progress 2015/2016

Post by trilobyte » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:06 pm

Continuing on from this great thread, tell us about (and show us pics of) that awesome, cool, fun project you're working on. If you're working on an awesome piece of playawear, tell us about that here. Some of us like to live vicariously through other people's adventures, while others are inspired and motivated by seeing what other people are doing. It doesn't need to be a how-to or instructional guide, and it's okay if you don't have pics (though take some next time), show us what you've got!

torrey.smith
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Sextant

Re: Work In Progress 2015

Post by torrey.smith » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:28 pm

I want to burn something on the Playa this year :)

I'm working on a new way to join basic dimensional lumber (2x4's) for use in geodesic structures, possibly non-spherical in nature.
Sarge

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:13 pm

On something as small as a 2x4, those grooves seem like they'd be mostly ornamental and wouldn't be able to support any kind of load. Is that a random internet find, or have you built something with that kind of a connector? I'm curious to know how it stands up. Otherwise, woohoo for burnable art - sounds like a great challenge!

torrey.smith

Post by torrey.smith » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:32 pm

trilobyte wrote:Is that a random internet find, or have you built something with that kind of a connector?
This is my original work at TechShop. I route them on the ShopBot:

I'm experimenting with different joint shapes:

My goal is to develop a joint that exceeds the tensile strength of the lumber itself, assisted by adhesive.

I'm testing adhesives ranging from white PVA (Elmers!), wood glue, gorilla glue, epoxy, and any others that can help in a relatively challenging design environment.

I'm starting with 2-dimensional joints to refine the basic joint shape, which I will then apply to 3-dimensional joints to match local curvature of whatever surface the geodesic lattice is being applied to.

I'm also starting to learn about basic lattice reduction in order to tune the local density:

I think low-cost access to CNC machines has unlocked some new avenues. I just want to go play there and see what happens!
Sarge

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:51 pm

torrey.smith wrote:My goal is to develop a joint that exceeds the tensile strength of the lumber itself, assisted by adhesive.

I'm testing adhesives ranging from white PVA (Elmers!), wood glue, gorilla glue, epoxy, and any others that can help in a relatively challenging design environment.
So, I've seen reference to PVC glue. And I thought a that might be Elmer's but I've never been sure. I think it's a British term. Do you ahve any insight?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

ygmir
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:29 pm

finally finished the cemetery r&r project, I wanted to post in context in 2014.....but......:
1412981400393.jpg
1412981399163.jpg
1412981401508.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

sadie
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Solomio

Post by sadie » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:36 pm

That looks great, Ygmir. Amazing skills you have.
Were the rose ladies pleased? Were you able to tip-toe through their, um, bushes?

("rose plants" just doesn't sound right....) :roll:

*red carpet rolled out*
If I've told you once, I've told you ten thousand times..jazz hands goddammit....JAZZ HANDS!!!

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:39 pm

sadie wrote:That looks great, Ygmir. Amazing skills you have.
Were the rose ladies pleased? Were you able to tip-toe through their, um, bushes?

("rose plants" just doesn't sound right....) :roll:

*red carpet rolled out*
well thanks Sadie. yes, the rose ladies were pleased......right down to their rose hips.

a true sportsman does not hunt in a zoo**
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service

Post by Elliot » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:29 am

torrey.smith wrote:...

Have you tried asking someone who manufactures a lot of finger-jointed products in various woods? I can refer you to such a manufacturer. (Of course, they might not want to share a trade secret.)
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service, Healing Arts, Body Paint & Piano Bar
No phones, tobacco, or politics in our public area, please.

In the 3:00 G Plaza this year

Bike come unglued? Take it to the nude dude!

Email: elliotsbikes@outlook.com

torrey.smith

Post by torrey.smith » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:52 am

Elliot wrote:
torrey.smith wrote: Have you tried asking someone who manufactures a lot of finger-jointed products in various woods? I can refer you to such a manufacturer. (Of course, they might not want to share a trade secret.)
I would definitely appreciate any adhesive suggestions.

I'm trying to cast a wide net because warping of the wood over a large structure may require revisiting of traditional joint gaps (usually minimized) to ensure fit in the first place.

I think I can begin with oven-cured and pre-cut wood for this year's Playa experiment, but my ultimate plan would be to store wood out in the desert for a year and machine on-site.
Sarge

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:18 am

Watch for a PM.

Meat Hunter

Post by Meat Hunter » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:26 am

When I built my wooden frame airplane in 1976, I used Aerolite glue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerolite_%28adhesive%29

It is a two part glue, that uses a white powder that is mixed with formaldehyde, makes a clear glue that has gap filling properties and makes the joint stronger than the wood.

My longeron's were made from 3/4" x 3/4" pieces of clear grain Sitka spruce and many of my joints were high angle (but end of wood to side of wood).

My FAA inspector required me to make a sample joint each time that I mixed a batch of the glue. When he came over for the inspections he broke each joint to see whether the glue or the wood failed. In all cases, the wood failed - never the glue.

Aerolite glue is the same glue that the British used to build their WW II wooden frame Mosquito bombers.

torrey.smith

Post by torrey.smith » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:51 pm

Meat Hunter wrote:When I built my wooden frame airplane in 1976, I used Aerolite glue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerolite_%28adhesive%29

It is a two part glue, that uses a white powder that is mixed with formaldehyde, makes a clear glue that has gap filling properties and makes the joint stronger than the wood.

My longeron's were made from 3/4" x 3/4" pieces of clear grain Sitka spruce and many of my joints were high angle (but end of wood to side of wood).

My FAA inspector required me to make a sample joint each time that I mixed a batch of the glue. When he came over for the inspections he broke each joint to see whether the glue or the wood failed. In all cases, the wood failed - never the glue.

Aerolite glue is the same glue that the British used to build their WW II wooden frame Mosquito bombers.
Thanks!!! This is a very useful lead.

What is your mixing, pot life and cure time like, if your recall?
Sarge

Meat Hunter

Post by Meat Hunter » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:31 pm

Torrey,

It has been so long (1976) since I built that aircraft that I do not remember the exact mixing ratio. The mixing and use directions came with my glue package.

(1) The first step is to mix the white powder with water and then spread it on one piece of wood.

I think that the water/powder mixture was useable for at least an hour or possibly more. Since it was so easy to mix, I normally did not to mix any more than I needed at one time.

(2) Then paint the clear formaldehyde on the other piece of wood.

(3) Both pieces of wood are then pressed and clamped together and a chemical reaction takes place.

I think that I remember allowing the parts to remain clamped for 24 hours before un-clamping.

If I am incorrect regarding the mixing and application procedure, please allow this ol' 71 year old a small geriatric mistake. The directions that come with the glue package will correct any mistakes that I have made.

torrey.smith

Post by torrey.smith » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:46 pm

Thanks!

I enjoy the mix of new and old technologies that this concept touches on :)
Sarge

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:55 pm

I've had really good luck and results with polyurethane glues. As stated, the wood breaks before the joint.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

forty_eight
Burning Since: 2013

Post by forty_eight » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:25 pm

Can you burn the glue?

Something else like that came up. They say don't burn anything painted out there.

Does some of the big art have paint, tho?

Did Church Trap have some paint on it?

Did Embrace have paint on or inside it? Why so much black smoke from the Embrace burn?

This too off-topic?

torrey.smith

Post by torrey.smith » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:39 pm

Burnability is key. This sounds very on-topic to me! Thanks for the insight.
Sarge

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:45 pm

Very cool, good luck with the project. As low grade a lumber as 2x4's are, I wouldn't have thought they alone could be used in a load bearing structure - I always figured them more for part of a supporting cast (studs, cantilevers, etc) than for leading roles :) I really like the pattern of the connectors, the interlocking jigsaw bits are brilliant.

Fishy - PVA glue is elmer's, PVC glue is the stuff used to glue PVC/plastic pipes for plumbing.

Yggy, you can post links to the earlier posts in the other thread for ppl who want to see where things started. For those interested, here is where he started working on the walls, and for those who want to see some really fucking amazing stonework, check out this post.

forty_eight, burnability is a major issue. My understanding is that projects that have paint need to be mindful of that as well - if designing burnable art you'd want to get in touch with the ARTery early in the process and they can get you in touch with FAST (the fire art safety team) to help sort logistics. The reason you saw so much dark smoke with the Embrace burn was that it happened during the day.

Tin Halo

Post by Tin Halo » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:44 pm

torrey.smith wrote: I would definitely appreciate any adhesive suggestions.
This past day or so, I've been on a mental bender about making a wooden kitchen sink, and possibly a wooden bathtub. I sounded nuts unto myself (moreso than usual, anyway) until I discovered that not only have many done this, but there's even a manufacturer over in England. (Teak is the prime choice, btw. Ipe also looks promising.)
The glue most highly regarded is Resorcinol. It is the default glue for shipbuilders/watercraft builders, as well as people building crazy shit like wooden kitchen sinks. Pricey as hell, though, and I've also found a number of people recommending DAP 00204; I found some 00203 today, and that has good reviews as well. Believe it or not, Titebond III is touted as perfectly acceptable. (Make sure it's III, and not II. Green label.) Gorilla Glue was pretty much universally reviled, and after my experiences with it, I'm on the periphery of that camp.
Might also look at West systems. I've seen Jimmy DiResta (if you haven't heard of him, prepare to be blown away...youtube...) use their products on a number of projects; a rep from them got back to me today with recommendations and they're more than happy to help you figure out what combination of their products you need for whatever project you're doing.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:41 pm

This is so beyond http://thistothat.com/ that it seems silly to mention them. However, I love them, even though they no longer keep up to date.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Patsh

Post by Patsh » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:22 pm

That's a pretty neat link there, Fishy! Thanks!

I know I've seen it before, but now, it's bookmarked.
formerly, Triken

keep on triken' Mamma!
Triken' ma blues away....

Theatre is Life
Cinema is Art
Television is Furniture

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:27 am

well, got the plaque set, I wrote some of the story in the bar thread:
fortunately, they made the new plaque the same exact size and shape, unfortunately, they changed the mounting stud locations. Not a big deal but marking and drilling and fitting and reaming holes for minor alignments was a good workout.

rangers loading old plaque "for posterity":

prepping and re-drilling:

ranger wants to see the new plaque:
damn gotta go back on my diet (gut) haha

Photog wants a photo of old plaque upright:
"oh sure, no worries , I love lifting this thing around for your amusement *note happy face*:

ok, lets try and see if it fits:

lining up the studs/holes for the third time:

it fits! yay! pushing into place:
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:00 am

:D
If only everyone could have such interesting work!

And that T-shirt is sig-line worthy.

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:48 am

Good to see the ancient and honorable order of E Clampus Vitus doing good deeds. What say the brethren? Satisfactory! And so recorded.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:58 am

Elliot wrote::D

Yeah didn't even notice the t shirt. To distracted by whos in it... :twisted: :wink:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:03 am

lucky420 wrote:
Elliot wrote::D

Yeah didn't even notice the t shirt. To distracted by whos in it... :twisted: :wink:
*blushing* :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Dr. Pyro wrote:Good to see the ancient and honorable order of E Clampus Vitus doing good deeds. What say the brethren? Satisfactory! And so recorded.
yeah that was the plaque from 1964, Doc. I think this newest one is from the State parks.
But, ECV does a lot of plaques and hysterical monuments, good work indeed.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

MyDearFriend
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Post by MyDearFriend » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:09 pm

Too utterly awesome, Yggy 8) and oh yeah the plaque looks good too.
"Burning Man ruined my life as I knew it, and I have never been happier." -mgb327

"BTW I'm not your wife so don't lie to me." -Ratty

Tin Halo

Post by Tin Halo » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:14 pm

Well, here's some stuff that I have staring me in the face everyday…

Vintage card catalog. Stripped the Formica off, filled in the holes, gave it some alkyd enamel from Benjamin Moore (almost a full gallon, free from Hazmat). I'm trying to get some hairpin legs for it. I could probably make them but my welding gear isn't as smooth as others.

The drawers, from which I have removed the card retaining mechanisms; I've filled in the gap at the bottom where the mechanisms were, and am covering the bottoms with cloth, so that the drawers are actually useable.

The holes where the knobs were are being filled with marbles, salvaged from empty spray paint cans.

Back in July, I found a Porter-Cable 6 gallon compressor by the side of the road. I am in the process of repairing it so it will get over 40psi; the tank got stripped, and I'm adding a salvaged LP tank to it as well, to increase capacity. I had one just like it, already, so this was all bonus.

Earlier this year I made a vintage-styled cart, from real estate signs, old shelving, and a toilet plunger handle. More will be made from the remaining signs.
greenshot

Pendant light from old propane tank. My design; Client loved them so I'm making more and will be offering them for sale when I get the other stuff done and my website up.

Get your inner child drunk with this wine/bar cart. When done, the shelves hold a full case of wine.
image hosting no registration
image post
The wheels are from a bed frame, but since they don't move like I want them to, I'll be replacing them with newer, sturdier ones.

'95 Squier Jazz, rescued from a flea market; it was held together by the stickers covering it, as it had been insanely abused, presumably by a wanna-be punk star. Since my collection has a '66 Precision and a '91 re-issue of a '62 Jazz, and neither will be made fretless, I've pulled the frets on this one. The body has been glued back together, cracks and holes filled in as much as the damn thing will let me, and will sport a metallic burnt-orange lacquer paint job.
The paint search was funny. I found the color my vision required, but it was $90 for a half-pint. Fuck you, Sherwin Williams. I spent $35 on the guitar.
Whaddya know.. while not exactly what I had envisioned, a $20 can of lacquer from Advance Auto Parts will be just fine. Done.
It would be finished by now but the paint didn't come out to my satisfaction so I stripped some of it down and am doing it again. It will have some 'applied wear and tear' when I'm done with it. But not over-the-top, like Fender loves to do.
image upload no limit

Back in the spring I found some locker doors at ReSource. I've built cabinets for two of them.

Home Depot paint stirring sticks. I can't divulge what I'm going to attempt to make from them, but if I pull it off, file it under "fucking cool".

From today's adventures:
November, 1964 Gubmint-issued desk chair. $5.00. I have plans for this one.
(Behind it is real-estate sign cart #2, waiting to be finished...)

File under 'serendipity'.
I've been wanting a paint shaker for a couple of months now. All the awesome paints I'm getting from Hazmat could really do to have the shit shaken out of them, rather than me breaking my wrist in endless hours of stirring. Problem is, where does one find a paint shaker like that you see in paint stores? "Paint Shakers'R'Us"?
Well, on my third trip around the yard at K&K Surplus today, I found this. Scrap value, $15. Hard to beat. Who knew they were pneumatically driven? Many, but not me. I figured they'd be an electric motor with an eccentric cam disk or something. Nope.
At the moment, it has a decidedly unhealthy cocktail of brake cleaner, engine cleaner, and Zip-Strip covering it.

So, that's what I'm up to. Believe it or not, there's more. I just needed to draw a line in the sand, here.

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:35 pm

those look like fun and interesting projects! congrats on some great re-purposing!!!
a thought: maybe resize the photos so we can see them direct?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Return to “Open Discussion”