Absolutely unbelievable

All things outside of Burning Man.
GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Absolutely unbelievable

Post by GreyCoyote » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:40 pm

If you are following the dialogue in regards to Commodification Camps, etc, the Burning Blog has a real howler: Will Chase decries commodification (Black Friday), and suggests we all boycott it... but he suggests if we don't boycott it, then kindly consider purchasing your goods via a method that gives a 0.5% "donation" to Burningman!

I nearly fell off of my chair. Read it and weep. Link: http://blog.burningman.com/2014/11/part ... -you-must/

If the BMORG doesn't see the rich tapestry of contradictions here, then they have clearly lost their minds.
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

GreyCoyote

Re: Absolutely unbelievable

Post by GreyCoyote » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:34 pm

Amazing. It appears the BMORG pulled the blog post. :shock:
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

digital
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: Middle'a-nowhere

Post by digital » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:35 pm

Just going to say... Seems to have vanished behind the smoke and mirrors. Lol

GreyCoyote

Post by GreyCoyote » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:56 pm

digital wrote:Just going to say... Seems to have vanished behind the smoke and mirrors. Lol
And of course, nobody has a copy (banging head on monitor)... so it never happened and I really didn't see that. :evil:

Nothing to see here... just move along, Citizen...
(A Beautiful Mind)

Sham

Post by Sham » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:39 pm

Not sure what you're talking about. Were you dipping into the cooking sherry? 8)

GreyCoyote

Post by GreyCoyote » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:00 pm

Sham: I will be COMPLETELY honest here. In the very finest Burner tradition, some very fine spirits were indeed consumed today. Its thanksgiving, so sue me.

That being said, it changes nothing. Please see the post on Burners.Me.
(A Beautiful Mind)

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:16 pm

My comment was right behind yours.

" But we’re sure as hell not going to set foot in a box camp."

Was my edit!!!!!!!!
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:37 pm

That didn't take long. Google didn't even have time to cache it.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Lonesomebri
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:02 pm

Wow! Is there some form I could submit to the Bmorg to register to them my thoughts on this? You know, to contribute a real positive realistic action?
Camp THREAT: Dominating the porta potties 3 years running.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

GreyCoyote

Post by GreyCoyote » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:10 pm

Lonesomebri wrote:Wow! Is there some form I could submit to the Bmorg to register to them my thoughts on this? You know, to contribute a real positive realistic action?
My dog, Bri! You are SUCH a dumbass! Cant you think, man? (Notice tongue planted firmly in cheek)

The "form" is $100 bills. You are allowed one word per form. 200 word minimum. Send to the attention of Will Chase / Larry Harvey. Subject: "Outrage about commodification camps".

That'll fix 'em! :mrgreen:
(A Beautiful Mind)

motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Post by motskyroonmatick » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:14 am

Hahahahahaha Wow! Just wow.

Nice work Grey Coyote!
Black Rock City Welding & Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:56 am

"Paranoia will Destroy ya"

rich man throwing stones from his big glass house...
the BRCCP will eat you too. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Frida Be You & Me

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:03 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:"Paranoia will Destroy ya"

rich man throwing stones from his big glass house...
http://www.politico.com/story/2014/01/w ... 1gOkg.like
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:05 am

burners.mexxx don't like commies... 8)
Frida Be You & Me

GreyCoyote

Post by GreyCoyote » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:07 pm

Its going to be very interesting to see how they address all of this. I dont see the BORG spanking their own in public, but I guess anything is possible. And if they choose to just gloss it over and ignore the core issues... (-shudder-)
(A Beautiful Mind)

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:20 pm

I know exactly how it will end. You should too if you've been going to BM for any length of time and watching how they have handled the population crisis and the ticketing crisis, just to name two.
JK
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

GreyCoyote

Post by GreyCoyote » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:27 pm

Elderberry wrote:I know exactly how it will end. You should too if you've been going to BM for any length of time and watching how they have handled the population crisis and the ticketing crisis, just to name two.
Then pray tell, oh Great Oracle. Share with us your insider knowledge. Expouse it for us, the unwashed masses with only a paltry non-green color to our names.

TL;dr - spell it out in specifics, or be labeled just another clueless rube like the rest of us.
(A Beautiful Mind)

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:19 pm

OK, I will...

Here's what I think will happen, whether I or you or anyone likes it or not:

1. They will say that there was a problem, especially with Popsicle camp and they will be implementing much stricter guidlines on TurnKey camps.

2. They will assure everyone that there will not be any special accommodation in ticketing or placement.

3. They should, i'm hoping but doubt that they will, remove Tannenbaum from the board.

And that will be the end of it as far as the BMORG is concerned. And why not? There are less than one percent of the population protesting, only what 20 or less here? More on FB and burners.me, but certainly the numbers are not big enough to give them any concern.

So, I might as well resign myself to that fact. And frankly, other than reading about it after the burn, those camps had literally no effect on how much I enjoyed my burn.

If I'm wrong, so be it. But that's how I see it playing out.
JK

GreyCoyote

Post by GreyCoyote » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:42 pm

Ya know, its just damn scary when you and I are on the same page, EB. mrgreen:

Thats pretty much how I think it will go down too. Nothing earth-shattering or powerful. The real wiggle-room will be in the spin and window dressing they use.

Pass the popcorn.
(A Beautiful Mind)

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:04 pm

GreyCoyote wrote:Ya know, its just damn scary when you and I are on the same page, EB. mrgreen:

Thats pretty much how I think it will go down too. Nothing earth-shattering or powerful. The real wiggle-room will be in the spin and window dressing they use.
Yup, pretty much how I see it playing out as well (except JT won't resign or be forced out, they might have him do a mea culpa). I'm really hoping they make these camps follow the same rules as any placed theme camp, especially enforcing the interactivity rules. I mean seriously, by the rules they don't even have to do it non-stop. They can throw their bar open for a "special sunset cocktail hour, Mon - Thurs" and be considered interactive, and they would be better neighbors.

Note: this is all speculation on my part, based on how they've handled other "issues" since I've been attending.

edit: I also meant to say if you hang around here long enough, and have an open mind, you'll actually find yourself agreeing with almost everyone at some point, no matter how much you wouldn't think so.
Tangentially, some of my favorite people from Burning Man & eplaya are folks who I would never meet in the "real world", and who are pretty far from me in most philosophical matters. They are, however, kick-ass human beings.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Jovankat
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Methuselah's Children

Post by Jovankat » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:18 pm

If you guys are right and the above is how it all plays out there's still one issue I feel is left unresolved; access to the turnkey application process. If the solution they come up with is stricter policing of the turnkeys will anyone able to run one? Until now the processes to do with turnkeys have been kept secret. Now that we know there exists a third class of placed camp with early access privileges (theme and support being the first two) will we all be a allowed apply to run such a camp? Or will that option remain only open to those who already have *connections*?

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:27 pm

Good question.

And there's also one more issue that I'm sure will have be brought up in negotiations with those camps. If TurnKey camps aren't guaranteed anything that regular camps are, wouldn't that also have the effect of limiting the scope of those camps? Which, would actually solve the entire problem. And, the answer to your question would be yes, as those types of camps have been going on for years.

We can only hope. (Oh, and continue to voice our displeasure.)
JK

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:50 am

Jovankat wrote:If you guys are right and the above is how it all plays out there's still one issue I feel is left unresolved; access to the turnkey application process. If the solution they come up with is stricter policing of the turnkeys will anyone able to run one?
I fervently hope they make it as open as any theme camp application - meaning anyone who wants to put in the work can apply, and that application can be found right there on the website with the other ones, but they're held to standards that could cause them to get lousy placement, or none at all, if they don't meet what they claimed they would do in the way the camp is run on-playa, just like every other theme camp.

We all know that once Theme Camp applications are submitted it's a completely opaque process, and I honestly don't have a problem with that, but there should be known standards for TurnKey camps, and there should be repercussions if they break those standards. Hell, we all know (or at least have heard of) camps who've gone from multi-year Esplanade camps to being sent to the boonies when they started phoning it in, that risk should apply equally to Commerce Camps.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

elKay
Burning Since: 2011

Post by elKay » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:13 am

I just don't understand why there should be placed commerce camps at all. There is no justification that will make it feel right to me.

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:17 am

I wouldn't mind them being placed if placement were based on participation just like any other camp. With the money those camps have, it could actually add to the event if done properly and was open for all to enjoy just lake every other camp.
JK

Lonesomebri

Post by Lonesomebri » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:22 am

Elderberry wrote: ....We can only hope. (Oh, and continue to voice our displeasure.)
Hilarious, simply hilarious, all you have done is criticize any and all who complain, and now you act like you are one of us. Hilarious, and a bit pathetic. Yeah, you expressing displeasure at anyone standing up against the for-profit hotels going up in BRC has now transformed itself into opposition to the sell-out. Welcome to the team. Sure,nothing much will be done, but some of us had the integrity and balls to state our claim without so much wishy washy internal dishonesty.
Elderberry- And frankly, other than reading about it after the burn, those camps had literally no effect on how much I enjoyed my burn.
Sort of like slavery, human trafficking, and child abuse.....who cares (says the concerned) it doesn't effect me or my comforts?
Last edited by Lonesomebri on Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Voltaire, Candide

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:23 am

Don't hold back Lonesome. Tell us all how you really feel.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Lonesomebri

Post by Lonesomebri » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:26 am

Ratty wrote:Don't hold back Lonesome. Tell us all how you really feel.
Weather is nice out, had eggs and hashed brown to eat.

Tell you the truth, I am considering changing sides and supporting the sell-out, seeing as the quality of characters in the anti side has slid so dramatically downhill in recent days.
Last edited by Lonesomebri on Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Voltaire, Candide

elKay
Burning Since: 2011

Post by elKay » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:27 am

Elderberry wrote:I wouldn't mind them being placed if placement were based on participation just like any other camp. With the money those camps have, it could actually add to the event if done properly and was open for all to enjoy just lake every other camp.
How great can their gift be if the motive is really about profit?

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:29 am

My position hasn't much changed. I wasn't going to jump to conclusions until there was sufficient credible evidence. Once there was, my position has been consistent. If you're upset that I didn't go off like some raving maniac, well sorry. That's your problem. I might suggest you take some advice from my avatar.
JK

Return to “Open Discussion”