The Bar 2015 Edition

All things outside of Burning Man.
MyDearFriend
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Re: The Bar 2015 Edition

Post by MyDearFriend » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:26 am

ygmir wrote:
trilobyte wrote:If only there was a message board you could browse, or a search function that could find it, or a link you could click on...
can this be a sticky?
I vote YES. :P
"Burning Man ruined my life as I knew it, and I have never been happier." -mgb327

"BTW I'm not your wife so don't lie to me." -Ratty

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:53 am

Why can't it all just come to me in a vision?

hey, good day Bar! Not sure what to do today. Should try the outside experience. Oh, I need to go through my car and find my sunshade for the front window. I would like one of these, but they are ridiculously priced.

I am going to try the mystery of what is inside the roller brake on my trike's axle, unjon said to never oil it, but it's seized, far beyond the companionable squeak that served as a navigational aid for My Dear Friend. It's got chopper forks, so no caliper brake mounting point on the front.

The wheel is turning and you can't slow down
You can't let go and you can't hold on
You can't go back and you can't stand still
If the thunder don't get you then the lightning will
"Ask again later." - Magic 8-Ball

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:59 am

So much thunder over the mountains today. Brooding clouds. Heavy, dark, and pendulous.

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:46 am

Just heard about a new card game where the object is to lose all your friends on social media to win the game.

Inspired by the fact that people were becoming less present due to their phones and social media.

Free Me!!!!!!!! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:30 pm

The MnG thread has been a stickythread for a while now :wink:

I feel bad for, but never quite got the whole social media addiction thing. Sure, I can see being on it a lot during down time (it's a great time-vacuum), but not if there's a person in front of you to talk to or spend time with. Or something better to do. I tease my gf sometimes about devices. She's actually pretty good about using them, but she's really fond of taking and posting pictures of food.

Aurelia
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: the Love Camp

Post by Aurelia » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:37 pm

to quote my 13 year old family member
"Whatever ! "

xoA.

MyDearFriend
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Post by MyDearFriend » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:24 pm

Elorrum wrote: Oh, I need to go through my car and find my sunshade for the front window. I would like one of these, but they are ridiculously priced.

I am going to try the mystery of what is inside the roller brake on my trike's axle, unjon said to never oil it, but it's seized, far beyond the companionable squeak that served as a navigational aid for My Dear Friend. It's got chopper forks, so no caliper brake mounting point on the front.
Good luck with the brake! We can make a squeak with a clothespin if we have to. 8)

And yes indeed that is a very cool sunshade but you should definitely NOT buy one.
"Burning Man ruined my life as I knew it, and I have never been happier." -mgb327

"BTW I'm not your wife so don't lie to me." -Ratty

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:25 pm

*shuffles in, strips and assumes "Lotus position"*

[media]
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:57 pm

Ohm....

Evening Bar! Nice video ygmir. I think I could just lay here and float away to it or......just give the bong a really good ripppppp :mrgreen:

Gerlach health fair was a hit! It was fun and got to meet many locals. Bruno's daughter recognized my BM necklace that I was wearing from Eridu Society and French Quarter fluer du lis. Then popped over to 8 mile for a photo opp. Hella storm on the way home.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Sham

Post by Sham » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:30 am

Good morning bar people. I don't usually drink this early in the morning, but today will be an exception.

I spent the better part of last night packing boxes for the trip out west. I guess my tickets coming in the mail motivated me to get moving.

The reality of next month is all setting in.

Aurelia

Post by Aurelia » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:07 am

Good Morning Dear Bar
I considered retirement
After finding placement that will make my usual daily volunteer shifts too much
but maybe not

xoA.

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:15 am

*wanders in, starts ECM*
drink Sham it's good practice!!
Hi ASD!

ha, so I bought an inflatable "kiddie pool" that holds about 1500 gallons of water, for fire protection storage, and thought I was filling it overnight, from a hose. Got up this morning and checked. it should have been overflowing, but was just about perfectly full........strange, until I started looking, and noted the ground was wet. Checked, no leaks. then noted it looked like a lot of water had poured down and across the area that would drain from the pool. Checked the sides of the pool for marks of climbing animals. none......my only conclusion was a bear came and got a drink, pushing the side down to reach the water. There is one telltale mark, on the top of the inflatable ring..........I can just see it sitting in the pool splashing and laughing for the evening.
Of course, now, I have to wonder if it'll come back, and if it'll try to dig through the side, when I put the top on? But, if I don't put the cover over it, it'll evap, mold, and or get drained anyway......
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Aurelia

Post by Aurelia » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:22 am

Wish you had one of those cameras that do motion surveillance

xoA.

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:38 am

"Bear Bar!" Or if you're Daniel Boone, "Bar Bar!"

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:43 am

Yeah Igmir, (Morning by the by). Live web feed from the Hof. It's bound to see more life than that boring Gerlach camera. Of course there's that little catch about no electricity no internet. If they can do it in a watering hole deep in Africa you can too.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
You should start doing drugs, it doesn't mess you up as much. CaptG

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:58 am

Man, last night was a lot of fun. Karen Christians, LadyBee, and George Post were at BMHQ last night for a book signing/launch party for Jewelry Of The Playa... a really stunning coffee table book that showcases some of the really amazing Burning Man jewelry and a few of the wonderful makers. I see Bee fairly regularly but hadn't seen George since the playa, and had never met Karen.. she was wonderful and so passionate about the cultural significance of the wearable art coming from the event... it made me feel proud for burner culture, and inspired as an artist. I've had fun with dogtags, and have dabbled with wearables, but wow. Anyhow, I got a copy of the book and enjoyed a glass or two of wine, and said hello to a few familiar faces. Yep, great night.

Flipping through the book this morning, I was surprised and delighted to see one of my pieces found its way into the book! Back in 2005 while at Space Island I designed a pendant, and there it was looking back at me, slightly modified and with a beaded necklace staring back at me on page 61. Wrong year and wrong credits of course, but I imagine that has less to do with any kind of slip up by Karen and more to do with the faulty memory of the person who submitted it. It's still fun to see it, and I can't wait to run into my old campmates in the desert and let 'em know the CamelToepia and Space Island stuff is in a book.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021

Post by lucky420 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:18 am

trilobyte wrote:Man, last night was a lot of fun. Karen Christians, LadyBee, and George Post were at BMHQ last night for a book signing/launch party for Jewelry Of The Playa... a really stunning coffee table book that showcases some of the really amazing Burning Man jewelry and a few of the wonderful makers. I see Bee fairly regularly but hadn't seen George since the playa, and had never met Karen.. she was wonderful and so passionate about the cultural significance of the wearable art coming from the event... it made me feel proud for burner culture, and inspired as an artist. I've had fun with dogtags, and have dabbled with wearables, but wow. Anyhow, I got a copy of the book and enjoyed a glass or two of wine, and said hello to a few familiar faces. Yep, great night.

Flipping through the book this morning, I was surprised and delighted to see one of my pieces found its way into the book! Back in 2005 while at Space Island I designed a pendant, and there it was looking back at me, slightly modified and with a beaded necklace staring back at me on page 61. Wrong year and wrong credits of course, but I imagine that has less to do with any kind of slip up by Karen and more to do with the faulty memory of the person who submitted it. It's still fun to see it, and I can't wait to run into my old campmates in the desert and let 'em know the CamelToepia and Space Island stuff is in a book.
and that's Brunos daughter recognized my necklaces from...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

magicmarty
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Hushville - Althing

Post by magicmarty » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:19 am

Morning everyone. Off to the computer repair guy to make my desktop computer well again. Hadn't moved it for about 7 years and it is full of dust. Maybe that's the problem. At any rate, the guy I use is both good and honest so I feel he'll do what's right by me. Great story about the bear, YG and last night, Trillo.

Cheers

(((LF)))
"Creativity requires the courage to let go of certainties" - Erich Fromm

Stay firm but loose!

MagicMarty

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:37 pm

*Crashes through the swinging doors. Yelling.* Drinks are on me. I got my ticket and vehicle pass! OK. I'm doing the happy dance. I want to thank everyone for your support. My ticket of course came from this dysfunctional online family. Thank you. I'll be hugging my brains out soon. *Dances around the room with imaginary partner*

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:53 pm

YAY!!! Ratty's coming home!!!
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

mgb327

Post by mgb327 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:57 pm

All the time you were worrying about that ticket, we ALL knew you would find one. See you in the DUST! this year....and dusty it will be.
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:35 pm

yay Ratty!!!
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:35 pm

Thanks guys. Hey Igmir, Did you find another Viking yet to give away that fur wrap. (The look on your face didn't exactly say 'I got my Red Rider BB rifle that I was hoping for'. There seem to be an abundance of vikings on this board. Anyway, I got my ticket. Ahhhhhhhhh.

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:05 pm

Ratty wrote:Thanks guys. Hey Igmir, Did you find another Viking yet to give away that fur wrap. (The look on your face didn't exactly say 'I got my Red Rider BB rifle that I was hoping for'. There seem to be an abundance of vikings on this board. Anyway, I got my ticket. Ahhhhhhhhh.
I love my fur wrap!! hell no I didn't give it away.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

burner von braun
Burning Since: 2010

Post by burner von braun » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:07 pm

WooHoo! Congratulations Ratty!

(..and thanks to whoever was able to provide Ratty a ticket)

Joeln
Burning Since: 2014

Post by Joeln » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:11 pm

Way to go Ratty! Let me know where and when and I'll swing by for trick or treat.
Collapse first and avoid the rush

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:48 pm

I'm so happy today. Great Iggy. I'm glad you like it. Joeln. I'm not hard to find. I'm suppose to be working now so....back to Netflix and filing cabinets.

Jovankat
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Methuselah's Children

Post by Jovankat » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:08 pm

Yay Ratty! :)

moonrise

Post by moonrise » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:23 pm

*whispers* ya' never know...I might still show :wink:

Happy for ya' Ratty! and a VP, too...wowowow
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!

Patsh

Post by Patsh » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:26 pm

YAY Ratty for your ticket!! (still waiting over here...)

One of the pieces of fabric from your "free yard sale" at the Hof, has found its destiny... it's the long, narrow, beige microfiber piece which is about to become the cushion for the piano bench. Recently, I found a new, king sized, 3" thick, memory foam mattress topper (yard sale) for $20, and had to trim a sizeable strip off one edge to fit my queen sized bed.... the leftover strip just happens to be the same width as the piano bench! It'll be so comfy to sit on... now I'm gonna have to learn how to play the piano! :roll:

Moonrise, you'll have to sneak in to the Meet'n'Greet on Wednesday and surprise us!!!!
formerly, Triken

keep on triken' Mamma!
Triken' ma blues away....

Theatre is Life
Cinema is Art
Television is Furniture

Return to “Open Discussion”