The Bar 2015 Edition

All things outside of Burning Man.
gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Re: The Bar 2015 Edition

Post by gaminwench » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:15 pm

See, I thought that she was closing her eyes because she was enjoying the lovely contact with her yummy husband!
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

magicmarty
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Hushville - Althing

Post by magicmarty » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:20 pm

Thanks again, Ratty, and thanks for the lovely comments, YG and Gaminwench. First time that my wife has gotten a comment on E Playa since I joined in 2008. She is thrilled. :D
"Creativity requires the courage to let go of certainties" - Erich Fromm

Stay firm but loose!

MagicMarty

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:43 am

well Marty, she's a peach! as are you both!
and, if she'd come on here more, she'd probably get all sorts of comments!!!
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Aurelia
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: the Love Camp

Post by Aurelia » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:41 am

Good Morning dear Bar

And I do agree with Yggy
of course Marty your wife is lovely as you are
and it certainly does not require a photo to communicate further

xoA.

magicmarty

Post by magicmarty » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:02 am

Aw Shucks, shuffles feet in embarrassment, but loving every minute

Hugs

Stay firm but loose!

MagicMarty

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:11 am

Morning Bar...

I've got the sickness and I am not down with it...

Sore throat, tight chest...ughhhhhh

Have a good day everyone :coffee:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:29 am

Boo on being sick, I hope you're able to spend some time bundled up under covers and do the hot tea with honey and all that to try and nip it in the bud.

I got up hours earlier than I wanted to (*shakes fist at insomnia*), and used the time to try and make a list of upcoming projects. I figure that should help me organize and prioritize, but at the moment it just feels really overwhelming. Maybe after a bit more sleep and loads more caffeine it won't feel so daunting.

Have a great morning... And hump day :coffee:

Hopefully the weather's ideal wherever you're at. It's been wet here for the last few days. Not really wet, just kind of lip service... But they're saying that the second half of the week could see some heavier rain. I'd complain, but we sure could use it.

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:30 am

*makes ginger/honey/whiskey/lemon tea*
try this Lucky. Dang the tight chest! Hope you feel better fast!
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:42 am

Thank you Trilo, ygmir...

Someday I may try that honey/lemon/whiskey remedy (cept I really don't like honey). But today there is no rest for the wicked. :twisted: There's a grindstone that's calling my nose...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Elorrum
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:42 am

I've got the early signs of a cold. Since I'm new to this vector, I think it could be a bad 'un. I have today to rest and gather my arsenal. Salt water gargle and zinc lozenges already on board. Off to the store to get limes and spices for my favored cold remedy soup. Hot chili lime Thai, coconut milk, ginger, red curry.

Lucky? Want some?
"Ask again later." - Magic 8-Ball

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:39 am

may have gotten a photo of the elusive, though small or young, bear?
top left.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

^Rhino!
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Black Rock Beacon

Post by ^Rhino! » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:46 am

ygmir wrote:*makes ginger/honey/whiskey/lemon tea*
try this Lucky. Dang the tight chest! Hope you feel better fast!

A man after my own heart, though I omit the ginger. I don't know what it is, but Jack Daniels is a part of my stock of medical supplies as it will cure the common cold as well as most cases of boredom (provided the right music or movies are involved).
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
Black Rock Beacon - '2010, 2012-2016
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever. Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Div. of Geology 2009-2015
I'm here until the serendipitous synchronicity is ubiquitous.

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:18 am

I poisoned myself many times with that bastard Jack when I was younger so I stay away...

Ygmir, I'm jealous, you've got Winnie pooh in your backyard.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:28 am

:coffee: :coffee: :coffee:

MyLarry likes honey Jack in ginger tea to ease his joints. I hardly ever drink anymore.

So I get major surgery for Christmas. They can't fix the one thing until the other is rearranged, then healed. :roll:

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:45 am

Well darn AntiM what a crappy way to spend Christmas. Hoping everything turns out good and as it should and that you're up back on your feet in a jiffy.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

magicmarty

Post by magicmarty » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:22 am

Morning, Lucky and Anti M ... Good luck with the surgery. Hope all goes well and you heal up quickly and without complications.

(((Anti M)))

Stay firm but loose!

MagicMarty

Ratty
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:58 am

Morning Bar Peeps. (((AntiM))). Be brave. (That's what my Mother always said to me heading in for another childbirth.) You'll be 100% soon. hugs and kisses.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:31 am

all the Best, AntiM!!
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

unjonharley
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:39 am

AntiM wrote::coffee: :coffee: :coffee:

MyLarry likes honey Jack in ginger tea to ease his joints. I hardly ever drink anymore.

So I get major surgery for Christmas. They can't fix the one thing until the other is rearranged, then healed. :roll:
Hell-of-a-xmas-present.. Sending mojo your way.. Ginger for joints is the best.. I helps with inflammation of my heat sack too. Damned old bag.
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

BAS
Burning Since: 2006

Post by BAS » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:40 am

Anit M-- I had surgery just after Christmas back in the 1980s for an ingrown hair, I can't recall how to spell what they are called but one got Rush Limbaugh out of the Vietnam War. Definitely not major surgery, but I can sympathize. I hope it goes well and you recover quickly and fully.

(Hey! Where'd my vodka go?! I haven't seen it since I moved about a year ago!)
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:43 am

Rush Limbaugh had a spastic colon, that made him 4-F. And you people thought he was full of shit. According to the U.S. Military, apparently not.

Skuzzy61
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp/We got this!

Post by Skuzzy61 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:05 am

It's that time of year. In the true spirit of giving, I post for your reading pleasure a Christmas story which has become legendary in our family. Yes, every word is true, but do not discount the possibility of the writer embellishing for impact. :)
====
A Christmas Tail

The following event is not an episode from the "Twilight Zone", but I think Rod Serling would be proud of it.

A Christmas event occurred, which requires re-telling, as I will probably forget the story after the Wife unit and I make with the New Year's party. As a matter of fact, many memories, along with accompanying brain cells, will be lost on that night. I can only hope that this little nugget is one of them that gets axed, but I digress (would it a Skuzzy wall-o-text without a digression here and there?).

Now, to fully appreciate this tale, I need to lay the ground work. I will make an effort to make this part interesting although I think embellishments may not be needed for this,..something you will come to understand as you read.

Off we go. Yesterday, we celebrated our Christmas at the Wife unit's family hide out, also known as the Dragon's lair,..er..her Mother's house. Most of her family was present and partially accounted for (there is no accounting for some folks).

They were her parents, her younger brother and his family (a Wife unit, 3 rug-rats ages 18, 16, and 9), and her son and SO (no, not a significant other, more of a stupid other). Those are the players for this tale. Names are not needed and that is only to protect me from them finding out I regurgitated this tale while making various comments about them.

This particular family has this, what they like to call, tradition. As in most traditions, it is hideously boring and full of tripe. It goes like this.

Someone takes their place as the Santa. This is a physical location as well as a mental one. You are required to be by the tree at all times. Movement from the tree can be regulated, via leash if need be. Taser is also not to be ruled out. No one is allowed to touch the presents, except for Santa, and this is where the Taser can be handy.

The 'Santa's' job is to hand the presents out. Now, Santa may only distribute one present at a time, all the while announcing who the present is for and who gave the present. Missing name tags are not allowed and any presents missing tags become the owner of the Dragon herself. This explains why the name tags are taped on all 4 sides to the present and why each present also has the names of the person written in Sharpy on the present itself. Tough on clothing. For the longest time I thought 'Laura' (my niece) was a fashion name brand.

Any who, once the Santa hands a present to a person, everything stops while the camera operator gets in position to roll the tape. Yes, it is a major production. Once the camera operator is in place, he/she hollers 'Action!' and the opening process begins. The process contains many staged events, such as "Smile like you are having fun!", or the inevitable, "yes you can return it, but act like you like it for right now!".

First, the Christmas card is opened and read aloud, including any pithy comments by by the giver. I have been known to take advantage of this and write phrases such as, "I need to fart", or "There's a booger on the card!" and many others. I also pick some interesting cards. This year, I got a card showing a naked fat man on the beach, captioned, "Roasting Chestnuts". The Dragon hates me.

Once the card is read, it is passed to everyone in the room so they can read it too. My cards usually get passed quickly, which is all part of the plan. The person with the gift has to wait until the card has made its rounds. Once he/she has a handle on the card, they are then free to open the gift. Of course by this time the person waiting for that stupid card to make it rounds has run completely out of patience and is ready to just shred whatever is in their lap. God help the kitten.

Once the gift is opened, it has to be shared with everyone else before the next person can get a present. Now, I am going to pause here to recollect a contrasting method to Christmas gift opening. When I was growing up, I think my parents had the right idea. We, the rugrats (the 4 horsemen from hell), would wake the parents at some ungodly hour of the morning and then would wait until the parents were prepared. In the finest tradition of the Marines preparing for an a enemy beach assualt, they would don body armor, protective head hear and get set in the bunker in the living room. Then the word would come down from on high. "GO!"

The next 30 seconds would be consumed with what amounted to 400 chainsaws going off at once and tearing into a 2x4. Paper dust, and shredded ribbons filled the air. Even the tree ends up missing most of its limbs, due to the candy hanging from it being ripped off as it was always, first come, first serve. Yes, my parents were evil and there was no doubt that in today's environment, "Child Services" would certainly be involved in this monstrous mess. It was Christmas Armageddon at its finest!

No one knew where anything came from. All we knew is the fun stuff got played with while the boring stuff was left to lie about the battlefield in utter disarray and various states of manglement.

Okay, back to the present setting. I have always sat in awe of the kids at the Dragon's arrangement. They sit quietly and wait for each present and go through the pain staking process to get to the fruit of it all; the gift itself. I have often thought, "There is something seriously wrong with these kids".

Then there is me. I refuse to hold this tradition near and dear to my heart. I will not respect such a tortuous dance. That's right,..I always start opening my gift AS the card makes its rounds. All the while enduring moans and groans from the Dragon.

Now, I must digress one more time. Yes, I know, I am planning this, but at least I warned you first. The day before this merry event, the Wife unit and I assembled our factory and prepped for the "Wrapping". This year, I wrapped, and she made the bows and stuffed the cards. In true tradition, we ran out of paper once and made a trip to get more paper, and grabbed a bottle or three of more wine for the factory workers. Oh,..did I mention we ran out of wine too? Funny that.

Okay,..that is the last digression. Back on track and to the present (I am sure that pun was not intended, but if made you react, then it was worth it). We are all sitting in the circle and this year the youngest brat (I mean that with all my heart) was named Santa.

The first gift was handed to the Wife units father. It was from me. Oh darn it all! One more time. Uh,..we also pick names from a hat at Thanksgiving so everyone only has one present to buy for any given adult member of the family, while the kids make out like bandits. I picked the Wife unit's father this year.

From this point forward, let's do this like a play as the flow may be more natural and I will be less prone to augmentation and digression. Oh look, a bird,....

Wife unit Dad: Nice card Skuzzy! <stated very sarcastically>
Me: It reminded me of you. <with equal sarcasm>
Wife unit Dad: So Skuzzy,..do you know what I got this year?
Me: Not at all, and you should be grateful. Had I bought it it would have been a pink tutu.
Wife unit Dad: Good man. My daughter knows what I like.
Me: But I did wrap it.
Wife unit: Yes, he did, but I put on the bow and card.
Me: Yes, she did. She asked if I wanted to wrap or would I be happier to get the bow job.
<dead silence>
Commentary: You ever have a moment in time where everything seems to stop? And you suddenly realize your hair is on fire and everyone is staring at you? And not showing any interest at all in putting the fire out?

Wife unit brother: I am sure that is more than what we wanted to know.

Commentary: Right about now I realize what I think I might have said and I look about the room for any hint of confirmation, when I make eye contact with my 18 year old niece's eyes, bearing an expression which could only be interpreted as sheer horror.

Okay,..the room erupted in many different emotional expressions and utterances. The Dragon was breathing fire. All of which have been captured on film, including my incredibly red face, for posterity.

It was a Kodak moment I am sure to never live down. I am also sure this is what got the "Big Bang" started.

Who knew the power of one little letter could do so much damage in such a short amount of time?
As the camp evolves.....
We got this! 2016/2019
We had it! 2020
We almost lost it! 2021
We have no idea where it is! 2022
Who the hell are we and why are we here? 2023

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:01 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:Rush Limbaugh had a spastic colon, that made him 4-F. And you people thought he was full of shit. According to the U.S. Military, apparently not.
Spastic Colon = Irritable Bowel Syndrome. From Wikipedia: "IBS is a disorder of the gut–brain axis." So now we know what happened to his brain. :mrgreen:

magicmarty

Post by magicmarty » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:04 pm

Elliot, you are spot on!

Stay firm but loose!

MagicMarty

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:14 pm

To spell it out for the folks in Rio Linda:
Rush Limbaugh's evil axis; Irritable Bowel Brain.

Stop me before I alliterate again. :wink:

Ratty
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:28 pm

Skuzzy, Did they forgive you. My story would involve sending a reply to my daughter that was less than flattering about the family she had just married into. (Onion dip was way beneath them.) How was I to know it was going 'reply all'. It's been about 12 years and I've yet to hear another word from them. Nope. They didn't forgive and I made no apologizes.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:14 pm

Skuzzy, you just made my Christmas!!! :lol:

That is priceless and shows you are a natural raconteur.

Less standing in the corner please!!! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:20 pm

Haha... bow job, brilliant!

Back when I used to do christmas I had an ex whose family was like that, and holy crap was that crazy. Growing up, we were generally pretty quick about it. Kids would do everything they could to get the adults up as early as they could, once adults were seated in the living room and gave the go-ahead, kids dove in and sorted the presents and then dove in and unwrapped. It was fast, though I think it was more excitement than it was a race. Things would go a bit slower later in the day at grandma's house, I don't recall the exact order but the idea was that the grandparents/aunts/uncles/etc wanted to see the look on ppl's faces as they opened stuff. That was all pre-digital camera, so there wasn't any obsession with taking pics of each person with everything they got. Back when film was limited and developing pics cost money, you pretty much wanted to make sure you had film for the camera on the day, and then wanted to make sure you got great pictures or 'keepers' and on the really good ones like the group family picture you'd snap a couple just to make sure you got a good one.

Man, today's been a bit nutty... definitely time to start making drinks!

*pours shots of limoncello, downs one, then mixes up cocktails*

unjonharley
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:06 pm

Just to keep life interesting.. Active shooter two blocks from the house..

Alert went off at daughters work place collage.. School is four miles away..

Son and I are locked down in the house..

Just heard an Interceptor ripping up the street
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

Aurelia
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: the Love Camp

Post by Aurelia » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:16 pm

Scary shit UJH

I will be worrying with you

xoA.

Return to “Open Discussion”