The Bar 2015 Edition

All things outside of Burning Man.
mgb327

Re: The Bar 2015 Edition

Post by mgb327 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:36 pm

I could help, but the main tools I use are explosives....hard to put things back together after I take them apart.
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.

deutlich
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Thumper

Post by deutlich » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:43 pm

hey everyone!

i have become so antsy now that we're so close. and i'm mostly packed up, save for a few things still on the way by mail.

i switched up my mailing address with the usps, though. so hopefully the stuff i have shipping comes to the address i want them to, and not the mail forwarding address. won't be the end of the world but it'd put a bit of a crimp in plans.

other than that, i am just set to go.

cannot wait to get dusty!!!

deutlich

Post by deutlich » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:44 pm

MyDearFriend wrote:Rainbow of drinks for me please.

I am aimlessly wandering putting things down and picking them up. Two bins go to the DC container tomorrow, one leaves here with me in my car for that 3000 mile drive on Friday.

~~~~~~tries to focus~~~~~~

:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
HI MDF!!

How's that packing going now?

^Rhino!
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Black Rock Beacon

Post by ^Rhino! » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:22 pm

"How's that PACKING going on?"

I misread that, and it may have been indicative of true conditions for some:

"How's that PANICKING going on?" is what I read. Just one letter of difference, and meaning so much more.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
Black Rock Beacon - '2010, 2012-2016
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever. Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Div. of Geology 2009-2015
I'm here until the serendipitous synchronicity is ubiquitous.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:27 pm

mgb327 wrote:I could help, but the main tools I use are explosives....hard to put things back together after I take them apart.
Like hanging a stick in the middle of the old barn to knock the barn boards off, leaving the nails in the beams.
One works.
Two also works - if you like toothpicks.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:48 pm

^Rhino! wrote:"How's that PACKING going on?"

I misread that, and it may have been indicative of true conditions for some:

"How's that PANICKING going on?" is what I read. Just one letter of difference, and meaning so much more.
"Opinion" without 3.14, is just an onion..........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot's Bicycle Service

Post by Elliot » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:51 pm

It's a small job -- no room for a backhoe anyway. Dynamite sounds tempting though, considering the clay and the tree-stump.

The case.

The cause.

The culprit. Well… that flower pot is a stand-in for the culprit. When I bought this place, there was an ailing Gravenstein apple tree in that spot. It had 30+ years to squeeze that line eastward.
Then I fooled with it when I cut down the porch to make room for the new barn, and that probably did not help it any.
Our address in 2019 is at 4:00 & Cupid
NOW HIRING BICYCLE TECHNICIANS
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service, Massage Clinic, Body Painting Studio, & Piano Lounge

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:12 pm

Sorry for your troubles Elliot.

Hi Bar! How's everyone? I'm just relaxin in the back yard. nice
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:09 pm

Elliot wrote:... So now I am swinging pick and shovel in the open sun, with 90 F in the shade. "Mad dogs and Englishmen...."
This is terrific conditioning for BRC! It's like I'm there already! Whoo-hoooooo! :mrgreen:
Careful there.
AND, too much sun/heat could lead to additional conditioning for BRC. Riding naked to the nearest bar and expecting drinks for free...
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:15 pm

Good evening bar! I'm sort of doing the wander where I wonder what I am really working on, and why do I have batteries and pliers on every table. Then I decide to just finish one thing, one thing. Stitching stuff on a jacket was a nice way to pass time. Something I wonder why I didn't enjoy in say..> MARCH!? I now understand that this is historically my method, and no amount of promises for next year will change me much. All the parts have arrived, and we'll see what happens.
Chicken noodle soup was on sale so I'm ready if nothing else changes.
"Ask again later." - Magic 8-Ball

MikeGyver
Camp Name: Dye With Dignity

Post by MikeGyver » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:15 pm

AHHHHHHHHHHHH. I haven't been this stressed in a long time. Leave in 11 days in a vehicle that is still getting surgery. Worst case scenario I buy a transfer case for my jeep and drive that. I was just hoping to wait till after Burning man to spend that much.

Looks like you had a fun day Elliot. Getting in shape.

Elorrum, You always have the best ideas when your running out of time.
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:28 pm

MikeGyver wrote:... Worst case scenario I buy a transfer case for my jeep and drive that. I was just hoping to wait till after Burning man to spend that much...
Used $200?
Or am I missing something.

MikeGyver
Camp Name: Dye With Dignity

Post by MikeGyver » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:39 pm

Missing the fact that the only used one I can find, Is $200, but is in Florida and will cost another $150 to ship without knowing if it needs work or not since the guy seems to have no clue.

When I bought a Jeep instead of another off the wall European car I thought I was getting something I would be able to find parts for. But apparently I bought one of the few Jeeps with a drivers side drop transfer case. Long term goal is buy a more modern 4x4 dodge and swap all of the drive train over.

The shop I took mine to wanted 400 in parts and another 400 in labor and I've found refurbished ones for as low as 600+core
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.

MyDearFriend
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Post by MyDearFriend » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:48 pm

deutlich wrote:

I am aimlessly wandering putting things down and picking them up. Two bins go to the DC container tomorrow, one leaves here with me in my car for that 3000 mile drive on Friday.

HI MDF!!

Hahahahahaha, NOTHING is what could be called packed, though some items have been thrown into bins. :?

Good news is, I got a lot of stuff finished today, so I feel like I am farther ahead at this point than I have ever been.

Waiting to remember what huge and necessary task I have forgotten.

Great to see you here again, (((((((Deutlich))))))) !!!

Mike you have my very deep sympathy. And (((((Elliot))))))) geez, sewage??? :shock: :|
"Burning Man ruined my life as I knew it, and I have never been happier." -mgb327

"BTW I'm not your wife so don't lie to me." -Ratty

MyDearFriend
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Post by MyDearFriend » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:50 pm

Oh oh oh and I had a drink with SquirrelHead tonight, and met the Burngin he is bringing to BRC this year. 8) 8) 8)

Came home and taught myself how to use a Dremel engraving tool. Alcohol + power tools, what was that rule again? :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Burning Man ruined my life as I knew it, and I have never been happier." -mgb327

"BTW I'm not your wife so don't lie to me." -Ratty

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:53 pm

MyDearFriend wrote:Oh oh oh and I had a drink with SquirrelHead tonight, and met the Burngin he is bringing to BRC this year. 8) 8) 8)

Came home and taught myself how to use a Dremel engraving tool. Alcohol + power tools, what was that rule again? :lol: :lol: :lol:
*swoon*
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Elorrum
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:57 pm

MyDearFriend wrote:Oh oh oh and I had a drink with SquirrelHead tonight, and met the Burngin he is bringing to BRC this year. 8) 8) 8)

Try not to do it, is more of a guideline than a rule... if you can only remember one thing... keep the power cord out of the work area. It's exciting to use a cutting power tool on a live cord, that sort of stops the lesson in it's tracks.
"Ask again later." - Magic 8-Ball

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot's Bicycle Service

Post by Elliot » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:57 pm

Canoe wrote:
Elliot wrote:... So now I am swinging pick and shovel in the open sun, with 90 F in the shade. "Mad dogs and Englishmen...."
This is terrific conditioning for BRC! It's like I'm there already! Whoo-hoooooo! :mrgreen:
Careful there.
AND, too much sun/heat could lead to additional conditioning for BRC. Riding naked to the nearest bar and expecting drinks for free...
:lol: That might not be noticed in some towns with lively art- and Burner communities, but would go over like a lead balloon in this cultural backwater.

Yes, fabulous exercise!

And...

The cure. With a little silicone dry lube on the O-ring, that slip fitting went back together as I pushed the pipes in and down. This also corrected the fall of the line. (I’m surprised it worked fine for so long.)

The pipes wanted to spring back up, so I “re-trained” them with 18” lag screws.

Back to our regularly scheduled program tomorrow.
Our address in 2019 is at 4:00 & Cupid
NOW HIRING BICYCLE TECHNICIANS
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service, Massage Clinic, Body Painting Studio, & Piano Lounge

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:05 pm

*applauds
Elliot!!**
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

magicmarty
Camp Name: Hushville - Althing

Post by magicmarty » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:40 pm

Wow, just finished catching up on a weeks worth of posts.

Sorry to have missed your birthday, Ratty. Happy Birthday Ratty. Will contact you as soon as we land on Playa on Thursday.

Good job, Elliot and congrats on your daughter's career, Doc. MDF, the packing frenzy needs you to take a deep breath. Don't envy you all that make a long cross country trip. Gotta be a lot more complicated logistics than we "locals" have to experience.

Sorry about the truck break down, YG, but as someone said, better now than later.

Getting my stuff laid out on a table in the garage tomorrow. Done it so many times, I just have to repack everything from last year complete with playa dust. Going to try using one cooler with dry ice this year and another with frozen water bottles and see how that works.

We leave a week from Wednesday and will be stopping at Sierra Hot Springs on Wednesday afternoon and the Silver Legacy in Reno that night. Off to BRC on Thursday morning.

Looking forward to seeing you all. I will be camped at 5:10 on E in Hushville and will be doing afternoon shifts in the ARTery on pre opening Friday, Saturday and Sunday. So, please do stop by and say hi and get a Magic Marty hug. Maybe give me one too! For sure at the M&G.

Cheers

(((LF)))
"Creativity requires the courage to let go of certainties" - Erich Fromm

Stay firm but loose!

MagicMarty

Aurelia
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: the Love Camp

Post by Aurelia » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:27 am

Good Morning Dear Bar !

Thank you for tuning in MM

Working on a film project with some fine people again today
it amazes me how we all can really be useful when we permit connection
yesterday I was at a table when a huge painting fell off the wall and conked me on the head
really thought I was a goner..but here I am today

Tomorrow I go to Stinson Beach for the "enforced " whole family stay
rule 1. no burning man talk ..yeah right

xoA.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:48 am

Larry brought our blinky bins into the bedroom and we sorted them together, chose some items for the gifting box, removed stuff we just don't use, and touched up/repaired other lights. I have a shit-ton of battery pack LED light strings. I suggested that one evening we grab the small blinky box, head out to the playa, and figure out how to wear all the damn lights as we sit in the dark. If we start that in camp, we never seem to leave.

:coffee: :coffee: :coffee:

I am both excited and ... not. So weird.

Aurelia
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: the Love Camp

Post by Aurelia » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:00 am

exactly ~~

xoA.

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:08 am

*rides in on War Rabbit™, sets out to hunt breakfast, checks Da Mules cheeze doodles*

Hi gang.
yeah sorting and packing.....I'll be on playa Friday, running out of time, again, it seems. hahah

[media]
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:30 am

TWEEKS TWEEKS TWEEKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:36 am

Morning Bar!

Someone give figjam some oil, he's squeaky....
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

deutlich

Post by deutlich » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:44 am

MyDearFriend wrote:
deutlich wrote:

HI MDF!!

Hahahahahaha, NOTHING is what could be called packed, though some items have been thrown into bins. :?

Good news is, I got a lot of stuff finished today, so I feel like I am farther ahead at this point than I have ever been.

Waiting to remember what huge and necessary task I have forgotten.

Great to see you here again, (((((((Deutlich))))))) !!!

Mike you have my very deep sympathy. And (((((Elliot))))))) geez, sewage??? :shock: :|
You too!!

Where are you camping this year?

Also I am now officially at that point where I can't get un-excited. Just ramped up to eleventy at all times.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:45 am

Good Morning Bar Peeps. Just coffee for me please. Too early.
AntiM,
I am both excited and ... not. So weird.
There should be a term for this malady. A lot of folks seem to have it. Including me. There should also be a term for that weird feeling that comes over you when you're driving there. Almost like you want to turn around and go home.
I have that same box of battery op lights. I'm bringing them all. Turns out I have husband and wife newbees joining me in camp. I'm excited about that. They need lights. It's going to be too hot to do much today so I'm going food shopping. My garage sale find yesterday was 6 pairs of onesies and caftans. (Footed sleepers). Great gifts for my camp neighbors. I think I'll sew some bags. That's a mindless project.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:17 am

Making a beard out of straw is hard.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:38 pm