GREATEST BASEBALL FANS IN THE WORLD?

All things outside of Burning Man.
joel the ornery
Burning Since: 1998
Location: i'm the snarky one in your worst fucking nightmares

baseball.... that annoying buzz in the background.

Postby joel the ornery » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:23 am

baseball.... that annoying buzz in the background.

cowboyangel

Re: baseball.... that annoying buzz in the background.

Postby cowboyangel » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:13 pm

joel the ornery wrote:baseball.... that annoying buzz in the background.

and where's yo field a dreams pot makka?
"We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believe is false."- William Casey, CIA Director 1981

Apollonaris Zeus

Postby Apollonaris Zeus » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:11 pm

American League that's were its at!!!

Thecatman
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Postby Thecatman » Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:04 am

Bummer Barry Bonds tied Henry Araron. I was hoping he would have recieved a career ending injury last week when the Giants played at Dodger Stadium

mdmf007
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Postby mdmf007 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:00 am

Even with the steroid cloud hovering around him Bonds is still a great player.

Aaron was a great player, but he didnt have to compete with 100MPH fast balls, curve balls designed in a wind tunnel, and a 160 game a year schedule.

I think its quite an accomplishment - of course there are other players on a faster pace to the record books than either Bonds or Aaron - so they will be the news makers in a decade or so and bonds will be another footnote.

later
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)

Thecatman

Postby Thecatman » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:00 am

I did'nt care for his additude when playing resumed after the baseball strike in 95 or 96 (I'll stand correction on the year). The players screwed the fans in all the past stikes. Thats part of the reason us working folks almost have to get a loan to go to a game. The home plate umpire yells, "PLAY BALL", not work ball.
He did'nt care if the fans attended or not. I watched the games on TV last week when the Giants played the Dodgers and they took a trip down memory lane by showing his first home run when he was with the Pirates. He looked like he weighed about 190 in the vidieo. He's 6'4". Now he's around 245. More like a football player. The weight progession could be aging or steriods or both. I realize it has never been proven he used steroids, but either way, I don't like him. But hey, I put on 30lbs since I graduated but I know it's from getting older and not taking care of myself.

Thecatman

Postby Thecatman » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:03 am

Henry Aaron did'nt have to deal with, in my opinion, meaningless interleague games either.

cowboyangel

Postby cowboyangel » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:55 pm

steroids or no steroids, it's still very fucking hard to hit a baseball traveling somewhere between 74-95 miles an hour....
"We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believe is false."- William Casey, CIA Director 1981

Apollonaris Zeus

Postby Apollonaris Zeus » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:02 pm

mdmf007 wrote:Even with the steroid cloud hovering around him Bonds is still a great player.

Aaron was a great player..., and a 160 game a year schedule.

...in a decade or so and bonds will be another footnote.

Yes, Bonds is a GREAT player, but steroids could have given him 10 home run advantage for every year he was on the stuff.

And not to be picking on you little wiggums, but if Aaron was hitting in a 160 games with the new tighter and more responsive ball he would have been an 800+ homerun champ.

Alex Rodrigues might be the first 800+ hitter if he stays healthy. Being OFF steroids should be a plus, because they tax your liver and kidneys causing you to ages faster. That shows up in your most used joints like the knees and lower back. Mark McGwire was hurting so back it affected his swing and couldn't run the bases.

On a sad note:

Phil Rizzuto past away. One of the greatest shortstops in history. Ted Williams once said of him, that if he was playing with Boston during those years, it would have been the Red Sox and not the Yankees winning the WS. Was Ted was right or did he just respected the guy? Perhaps a little of both. True, there was no more productive shortstop hitter in the world series then Phil.

Here are some records:

He was named the American League's Most Valuable Player in 1950 after leading the team to its second consecutive pennant with a .324 batting average. He led the AL in double plays three times and in putouts and fielding percentage twice each. His 1,217 career double plays ranked second in major league history. and his .968 career fielding average trailed only Lou Boudreau's mark of .973 among AL shortstops. He led all Yankees and Cardinals hitters with 8 hits and a .381 average in the 1942 World Series.

Like many players of the era, his career was interrupted by a stint in the United States Navy during World War II. That's three years of missing potential records!!!!!

In 1950, his MVP season, he hit .324 with 92 walks, and scored 125 runs. Rizzuto also handled 238 consecutive chances without an error that season, setting the record for shortstops. From September 18, 1949 through June 7, 1950, he played 58 games at shortstop without an error, breaking the AL record of 46 set by Eddie Joost in 1947-1948; the record stood until Ed Brinkman played error-free for 72 games in 1972. Rizzuto recorded 123 double plays in 1950, which despite falling short of the league lead broke Crosetti's team record of 120, set in 1938, and remains the Yankee record. Rizzuto's 1950 fielding percentage of .982 not only led the league, but at .9817 came within a point of Lou Boudreau's league record of .9824, set in 1947; it stood as a Yankees record until 1976, when Fred Stanley posted a mark of .983.

Rizzuto was voted the American League's Most Valuable Player by a large margin in 1950, after having been the runner-up for the award behind Ted Williams in 1949. Rizzuto played in five All-Star Games, in 1942 and each year from 1950 to 1953. In 1950, he also won the Hickok Belt, awarded to the top professional athlete of the year, and was named Major League Player of the Year by The Sporting News. He was voted top major league shortstop by The Sporting News four consecutive years (1949-1952).

Rizzuto was the MVP of the 1951 World Series, batting .320. Decades later, Rizzuto still spoke resentfully of the incident where pugnacious Giants second baseman Eddie Stanky sparked a rally by kicking the ball out of Rizzuto's glove on a tag play.

Rizzuto's 1953 Topps baseball card read in part: "Phil was turned down by the Dodgers because he was too small. He tried out for the Yanks. Despite his size, a scout liked him and sent him to a Yank farm. Later Phil was the Yank shortstop who helped N.Y. beat the Dodgers in three World Series!" Ty Cobb named the 'Scooter' and Stan Musial as "two of the few modern ball players who could hold their own among old timers." Yankees manager Casey Stengel had famously dismissed Rizzuto during that Brooklyn Dodgers tryout in 1935 when Stengel was managing that team, advising him to "go get a shoeshine box." But Stengel ended up managing Rizzuto during five consecutive championship seasons, and would later say, "He is the greatest shortstop I have ever seen in my entire baseball career, and I have watched some beauties." Baltimore Orioles manager Paul Richards added, "Among those shortstops whom I have had the good fortune to see in action, it's got to be Rizzuto on top for career achievement. For a five-year period, I would have to take Lou Boudreau. ... But, year after year, season after season, Rizzuto was a standout." During his heyday, Yankees pitcher Vic Raschi noted, "My best pitch is anything the batter grounds, lines or pops in the direction of Rizzuto." Decades into his retirement, teammate Joe DiMaggio characterized Rizzuto's enduring appeal to fans: "People loved watching me play baseball. Scooter, they just loved."

Rizzuto was noted for "small ball", strong defense, and clutch hitting, which helped the Yankees win seven World Series. As an offensive player, he is particularly regarded as one of the best bunters of his era; he led the AL in sacrifice hits every season from 1949 to 1952. In retirement, he often tutored players on the bunt during spring training. In the announcing booth, Rizzuto talked about the several different kinds of bunts he would use in different situations. Later during his broadcasting career, he occasionally expressed disappointment that the art of bunting had largely been lost in baseball. Rizzuto was among the AL's top five players in stolen bases seven times. Defensively, he led the league three times each in double plays and total chances per game, twice each in fielding and putouts, and once in assists. Rizzuto ranks among the top ten players in several World Series categories, including games, hits, walks, runs, and steals.

Rizzuto also had more than his share of malapropisms and stream-of-consciousness commentary, which annoyed his critics but amused his fans:

"Uh-oh, deep to left-center, nobody's gonna get that one! Holy cow, somebody got it!"
"Bouncer to third, they'll never get him! No, why don't I just shut up!"
"All right! Stay fair! No, it won't stay fair. Good thing it didn't stay fair, or I think he would've caught it!"
"Oh, these Yankees can get the clutch hits, Murcer. I might have to go home early, I just got a cramp in my leg."

Rizzuto is also the announcer who provides the play-by-play commentary during the long spoken bridge in Meat Loaf's 1977 song "Paradise by the Dashboard Light." Ostensibly an account of a baseball sequence, it actually describes the singer's step-by-step efforts to lose his virginity. Rizzuto was reportedly unaware of the suggestive double entendre nature of his spoken contribution, and claimed to be annoyed by the song's success after he began receiving disapproving letters from clergymen. However, by the time he was given a gold record for the album, the mini-controversy had been smoothed over. "Phil was no dummy," said singer Meat Loaf. "He knew exactly what was going on, and he told me such. He was just getting some heat from a priest and felt like he had to do something. I totally understood."

In the movie Sea of Love (1989), Al Pacino plays a police detective who, in the film's opening scene, goes undercover as Phil Rizzuto to bust wanted felons. The police organize a New York Yankees rally that's really an undercover sting operation...and mail "invitations" to dozens of wanted felons who show up thinking it's a meet and greet breakfast with their favorite Yankee players. Before the bad news is revealed, Pacino is serving orange juice to all the felons, wearing a Yankees windbreaker. One of the felons asks Pacino when the Yankees arrive and he responds with, "What...you don't recognize me?" When the felon doesn't, Pacino answers with, "Holy Cow!" And the felon smiles broadly in recognition, "Yeah, yeah...that IS you!" obviously referring to Rizzuto.

Yogi Berra, on hearing teammate Joe DiMaggio was to marry Marilyn Monroe: "I don't know if it's good for baseball, but it sure beats the hell out of rooming with Phil Rizzuto."

At the time of his death, Rizzuto was the oldest living member of Baseball's Hall of Fame, at 89.

Good bye, phil!

Bin Noddin

I am not worthy . . .

Postby Bin Noddin » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:02 am

I confess I haven't been to a ballgame since the year of the strike, which someone reminded me tonight was 1994. Used to take my kid and some friends to see the O's, back when all the Ripkens were still in the game. Tonight we had an office outing to see the Orioles play the Rangers. The Orioles got played alright. I have no clue who these guys are. Don't follow the sport at all. The stadium was maybe quarter full - its a cold, cloudy Wednesday night ferchrissake. We're busy with the hot dogs and beer, socializing since we are spread among many work sites. Occasional glances at the field. Score 3-2, middle of the fourth, big deal. Then balls started to fly, a regular hailstorm. Then we started to pay attention. Holy Shit! Soon everybody is at the railing. A massacre! I really don't have a clue who these guys are, but 30 to 3? A record was set, and I have no clue, I am not worthy. I am not a baseball fan. I was just hanging out with some co-workers. I raise my warm beer to you, CowboyAngel.
"I have gobs of mustard and ketchup on the front of my shirt, which does not make me a hot dog." Sam A. McKeen

cowboyangel

Postby cowboyangel » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:02 pm

for a now or former Bostonian, Red Sox baseball rates higher than the Catholic Church and actually has religious status in some parts of Massachusetts and the SF Bay area where many Red Sox fans live.

Apollonaris Zeus

Postby Apollonaris Zeus » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:48 pm

Cowboy, I hope you have been on the playa for the past three days.

Cuz, you're been swept!

After the Yanks lost 4 games and swept by the tigers, I was hoping they might take one game from the RS.

I was not pretty! 2 games were no-hitters into the 5th and 7th. The Yank relievers had only one run scored against them.

I don't think that the yanks will over take the Soxs, but they might meet in the post season as a wildcard.

I hate wildcards!

AIIZ

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Bob » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:02 pm

"Why panic? If we don't do it, we'll come back next year and try again."

"If it doesn't happen, who cares? There's always next year. It's not the end of the world."

- Manny Ramirez
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

cowboyangel

Postby cowboyangel » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:41 pm

Bob wrote:"Why panic? If we don't do it, we'll come back next year and try again."

"If it doesn't happen, who cares? There's always next year. It's not the end of the world."

- Manny Ramirez

He's right.
I like Cleveland..not there since 48.

Keep in mind, that baseball can never be eclipsed by baseball since the 04 Red Sox..greatest team ever was ever will be amen.

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Bob » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:23 pm

I don't have a rooting interest, but now I'm thinking I'd like to see Manny jacking them out of Coors Field.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

Kinetik V
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Postby Kinetik V » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:40 pm

I hope the Monfort brothers are ready to lift the trophy and parade it all around Coors Field because the Rockies are going to win it all.

(And as for the Yankees forcing Joe Torre out...that was the stupidest thing they could've done. NY, welcome to mediocrity as there won't be any more pennants for awhile.)
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it. And now i get paid well to do just that.

cowboyangel

Postby cowboyangel » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:23 pm

agreed on Torre. Sox or Indians will stun the Rockies.

cowboyangel

Postby cowboyangel » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:55 pm

AMAZING RED SOX> AMAZZZZING!

cowboyangel

Postby cowboyangel » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:05 pm

AMAZING
AMAZING
AMAZING

cowboyangel

Postby cowboyangel » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

what can I say?

I hate the talk about the new Boston dynasty. That's a bunch of shit. Boston made a bunch of smart shrewd moves with acquiring players and using their farm club system and they have a great business plan obviously, but baseball is a fickle thing after all and always subject to changes. I still can't believe the 2004 Red Sox. Now the 2007 Red Sox. Let's just enjoy the moment here and not get sucked down this foolish path of dynastic speculation.

joel the ornery

Postby joel the ornery » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:18 am

the season is over.

prepare for winter.

Kinetik V
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Postby Kinetik V » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:53 am

Kinetic V wrote:I hope the Monfort brothers are ready to lift the trophy and parade it all around Coors Field because the Rockies are going to win it all.

(And as for the Yankees forcing Joe Torre out...that was the stupidest thing they could've done. NY, welcome to mediocrity as there won't be any more pennants for awhile.)

Well, I prefer my crow medium-well with a side of loaded baked potatoes and a tall glass of spiked Red Diamond sweet tea. Sheesh, wtf happened? Swept in 4 games? Embarassing.....well...I can't say that it's too embarassing. When your hometown team is the Royals and the only excitement they offer is leaving their fans wondering if they'll beat Tampa Bay's record so they won't be the worst team in baseball...it's a reminder that things could always be worse. And there's always next year. Remember, pitchers and catchers are scheduled to report for training on Feb 11th.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it. And now i get paid well to do just that.

joel the ornery

Postby joel the ornery » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:02 am

joel the ornery wrote:the season is over.

prepare for winter.

the season is fucking over, already.

Bin Noddin

Postby Bin Noddin » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:42 am

THIS is what it took to bring Joel out of hibernation?
Hibernating bears give birth to cubs. Cubs, I say.
"I have gobs of mustard and ketchup on the front of my shirt, which does not make me a hot dog." Sam A. McKeen

joel the ornery

Postby joel the ornery » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:52 am

fuck the cubs.
fuck the sox... white and red.
fuck steinbrenner and his ilk, at all levels of baseball.

Bin Noddin

Postby Bin Noddin » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:56 pm

Welcome back, baby!

cowboyangel

Postby cowboyangel » Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:28 pm

Joel's just mad because he used to play college ball, and his best friend on the team did his girl friend...it's a mid west thing......

cowboyangel

Postby cowboyangel » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:50 pm

ahhh.....Joel..da ya want me to send you a baseball to see what happens when you load it in your kiln?

Apollonaris Zeus

Postby Apollonaris Zeus » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:32 am

Congrats to the Bosox!!!!

But what a bore of a series to watch. So bad were the Rockies that I would stop watching after the seventh or eight knowing the rockies couldn't get more then two hits together in a late rally or any rally.
I don't believe that 8 days off can throw off your hitting. Maybe the first few innings, but these are pros and this is the world series- you can't get anymore pumped up then this game! We must face it. The National League just doesn't have the depth it needs in its team.

On Torre, he was fucked! Dodgers will be a good home for him until he retires in a couple of years or so.

A-Rod in Boston? Lowel in NY?

Better believe it! I think that A-Rod wants to own his own team. Lowel in NY would be a better match then A-Rod- and lowel can hit in a world series something A-Rod has a problem with doing.

AIIZ

cowboyangel

Postby cowboyangel » Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:59 pm

Rockies: about 56 mil salaries
Red Sox: about 150 mil

I'm afraid it is about the money.

Return to “Open Discussion”