Eplaya Coffee and Chai

All things outside of Burning Man.
Zulegoona

Postby Zulegoona » Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:21 am

I do like the cyclical nature of the seasons of the mid-west and the ways your forced to deal with them. It makes me feel my role as just another part of the natural way of things better.

tonytohono

Postby tonytohono » Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:23 am

Better light in here. I mean I live for light... and not just any light. I like atmosphere. Diffused.

tonytohono

Postby tonytohono » Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:24 am

That was the one thing I did not appreciate about the bay area Zule... there really isn't too much of a difference in the seasons. Where I am not there is... Hot has hell in summer, and snow in winter... all of it.

gigglesnort

Postby gigglesnort » Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:42 am

I'm very cyclical. And besides, I'd be manic all the time or depressed beyond reason if I didn't have the seasons, I think.

tonytohono

Postby tonytohono » Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:46 am

Where I am NOW...

Fuck... I need another cup of coffee!

gigglesnort

Postby gigglesnort » Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:55 am

[pours another cup for T].

Well, we kinda have seasons here. Summer lasts an exceedingly long time, it seems, and then we have Winter Lite. Sometimes, though, sometimes it *will* snow! Shhhh! Look, there's a picture of our local "mountain" all dusted in white (left pointing arrow here).

gigglesnort

Postby gigglesnort » Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:00 pm

Today, however, 62 degrees and bright blue skies! *Sigh*

Donita

Postby Donita » Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:05 pm

Crapramento, CA: checking in at 41 degrees F. Foggy like pea soup and colder than a witch's tit.

gigglesnort

Postby gigglesnort » Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:12 pm

I'm with you in spirit over at the bar, D, but contemplating alcohol today makes my tummy hurt. :o(

It might as well be cold and dreary here, for all I feel like getting outside in it. Damn streptococci.

geekster

Postby geekster » Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:14 pm

San Jose, CA: 54 degrees and Sunny. Not a single cloud in the sky, 360-degrees of blue sky.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.

Donita

Postby Donita » Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:24 pm

My heart goes out to ya', hon. Strep is no fun. :( I am sending warm hugs and healing energy....
Both palms to the screen, like Zule said, "HEAL !!!!"
Hmmm... (scratching head) What's good for strep??
Hot lemony tea?? Peppermint tea?? Anything with echinachea is good.

** HEALING ENERGY ** HEALING ENERGY ** HEALING ENERGY **

geekster

Postby geekster » Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:33 pm

Gargle twice a day with an antiseptic and also with warm salt water. About the same salinity as tears. DONT IGNORE STREP, it can get away from you and if it does, you could find yourself making Muppets with Henson. If you were given antibiotics, take them ALL as directed ... PLEASE.

http://www.angelfire.com/me3/muppets/He ... ction.html

gigglesnort

Postby gigglesnort » Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:43 pm

Sanitized kisses to everyone! I have antibiotics, will take them all, doing the gargling, lotsa vitamins. I feel alot better today, kinda weak, and the antibiotics are killing my gi tract. Ugh. But at least I'm mobile rather than bedridden as I've been all week, and I"ve finally stopped w the chills/sweats/body aches. Yay! And my throat looks more like its supposed to now.

I've heard but am not an expert that echinacea should be taken during times of wellness to maintain wellness, but not when yer already down and out. Anyone know about that?

Donita

Postby Donita » Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:00 pm

Echinacea is one of the primary remedies for helping the body rid itself of microbial infections. It is often effective against both bacterial and viral attacks, and may be used in conditions such as boils, septicaemia and similar infections. In conjunction with other herbs it may be used for any infection anywhere in the body. For example in combination with Yarrow or Bearberry it will effectively stop cystitis.

It is especially useful for infections of the upper respiratory tract such as laryngitis, tonsillitis and for catarrhal conditions of the nose and sinus. In general it may be used widely and safely. The tincture or decoction may be used as a mouthwash in the treatment of pyorrhoea and gingivitis. It may be used as an external lotion to help septic sores and cuts. Much research is focussing upon this plant, providing important insights into its activity and potential uses. Glycosides from the roots have mild activity against Streptococci and Staphylococcus aureus.

Echinacoside was the most active with about 6 mg being equivalent to one unit of penicillin. The tincture was able to reduce both the rate of growth and the rate of reproduction of Trichomonas vaginalis, and was found to be effective in halting the recurrence of Candida albicans infection. It seems to prevent infection and repair tissue damaged by infection, partially through inhibiting the activity of the enzyme hyaluronidase. The hyaluronidase system is a primary defense mechanism, involving connective "ground" substance, or hyaluronic acid, acting as a barrier against pathogenic organisms. Some pathogens activate an enzyme, hyaluronidase, which once activated destroys the integrity of the ground substance. This causes the barrier to become leaky, allowing pathogens to invade, attach themselves to exposed cells, penetrate the membrane and kill the cell. The result as an inflammatory infection. Echinacea inhibits the action of hyaluronidase by bonding with it in some way, resulting in a temporary increase in the integrity of the barrier. Fewer pathogens are able to stimulate the destruction of the ground substance. A range of constituents mediate this process, especially a complex polysaccharide called echinacin B. This anti-hyaluronidase action is involved in regeneration of connective tissue destroyed during infection and in the elimination of pathogenic organisms creating the infection. Purified polysaccharides prepared from Echinacea possess a strong activating force on the body's macrophage-mediated defense system. These macrophages initiate the destruction of pathogens and cancer cells. Echinacea activates macrophages by itself, independent of any effect with T-cells. A tumor-inhibiting principle has been found, a oncolytic lipid-soluble hydrocarbon from the essential oil. The echinacosides glycosides appear to be the primary `antibiotics', but there are many other active substances present which probably function synergistically. The polysaccharides possess the best immune stimulating properties and are also antiviral. Other constituents have been shown to possess good anti-tumor, bacteriostatic, and anesthetic activity.

This all points to the conclusion that its actions relate to immune system functioning on some level, helping deal with infections and stimulating the immune response. It activates the macrophages that destroy both cancerous cells and pathogens, increases the level of phagocytosis by raising levels of white blood cells such as the neutrophils, monocytes, eosinophils, and B lymphocytes. It also has an effect on properidin levels, indication an activation of the complement system.

Preparations & Dosage: Decoction: put 1-2 teaspoonfuls of the root in one cup of water and bring it slowly to boil. Let it simmer for 10-15 minutes. This should be drunk three times a day. Tincture: take 1-4 ml of the tincture three times a day. Echinacea is often, inappropriately, used as a daily `immune support' (whatever that is!).

Donita

Postby Donita » Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:09 pm

I'm getting all this stuff from http://www.healthy.net

Herbal Treatments for Sore Throats:

Echinacea and goldenseal combination formula is important for helping to clear any kind of infection. Both of these herbs stimulate the immune system. Give your child one dose, every two hours, during the acute phase. Then reduce the dosage to one dose, three times a day, for up to one week. Note: You should not give your child echinacea on a daily basis for more than ten days at a time, or it can lose its effectiveness.

Garlic is antibacterial and supports the immune system. Choose an odorless form, which will be better tolerated by children. You can give it to your child in whole capsule form, or dissolve the liquid in hot water or soup. Follow the dosage directions on the product label and give it to your child until she is better.

Brew a sore throat tea. In 1 quart of water, boil some or (preferably) all of the following: 1 tablespoon of licorice root, 1 tablespoon of hyssop, 2 tablespoons of slippery elm bark, and 1 teaspoon of sage. Licorice and slippery elm soothe irritated mucous membranes and ease a sore throat. Hyssop and sage detoxify the blood. Give your child one dose of tea, three times daily, for a couple of days or until she feels better. She can also gargle with this tea when it has cooled. Note: Licorice should not be given to a child with high blood pressure.

Yarrow maybe helpful because it promotes sweating and helps to lower fever. Give your child one dose, two to three times a day, as needed, for the first one or two days.

Grapefruit seed extract can be taken internally or used as a gargle. A highly concentrated form, such as Citricidal, Nutrabiotic, or Paramicrocidin, is preferred. Place 5 to 10 drops in a glass of water for a gargle. Or have your child drink 3 to 5 drops of extract in 6 ounces of water, three or four times daily, for up to three days.

I also hear that a few squirts of hot cum can help a sore throat. :oops: 8) "Mind In Gutter" alert!!!! Made ya smile, though, huh??!!!!

helitack
Burning Since: 2004

Postby helitack » Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:10 pm

Death Valley, 72 degree, no clouds, no people, a little wind. Heaven.

geekster

Postby geekster » Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:10 pm

Donita wrote:I also hear that a few squirts of hot cum can help a sore throat. :oops: 8) "Mind In Gutter" alert!!!! Made ya smile, though, huh??!!!!

:shock:

I have the cure! I have the cure!

gigglesnort

Postby gigglesnort » Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:23 pm

many thanks for hte info! I have a great interest in but only a little knowledge about herbal medicine and such. I try to treat my illnesses holistically these days, making changes to affect problems rather than just medicating symptoms, i.e., flaking out completely on my stupid boring job! Seems to have done the trick for the depression, among other things.

gigglesnort

Postby gigglesnort » Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:26 pm

helitack wrote:Death Valley, 72 degree, no clouds, no people, a little wind. Heaven.

ooh, I think hella has the cure.

geekster

Postby geekster » Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:45 pm

gigglesnort wrote:ooh, I think hella has the cure.

Yeah, from the tone of his postings lately he has a lot more of it than I do.

I love the Southern California desert in the winter and spring. We used to drive out there often just exploring when I lived down there. I kindof miss it, really. The desert is too far away up here.

gigglesnort

Postby gigglesnort » Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:46 pm

geekster wrote:
Donita wrote:I also hear that a few squirts of hot cum can help a sore throat. :oops: 8) "Mind In Gutter" alert!!!! Made ya smile, though, huh??!!!!

:shock:

I have the cure! I have the cure!

well, I wasn't exactly talking *this* cure.....but yeah.....he does seem to have plenty to spread around.

geekster

Postby geekster » Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:49 pm

I know, I will climb out of the smartass suit now.

helitack

Postby helitack » Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:55 pm

Tone? More of what? no sabe

gigglesnort

Postby gigglesnort » Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:55 pm

my libido is hiding from teh bugs, I think. do you really think *that* would help? :wink:

gigglesnort

Postby gigglesnort » Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:56 pm

helitack wrote:Tone? More of what? no sabe

Do you speak different languages, too?

gigglesnort

Postby gigglesnort » Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:58 pm

gigglesnort wrote:

Do you speak different languages, too?

Oh wait, forgive my slow-moving brain, I figgered it out.

geekster

Postby geekster » Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:59 pm

Oh, sorry. I got the impression from some of your posts recently that you were missing close encounters of the carnal kind. Thought maybe you had more of that special strep killer sauce in reserve than I do.

It probably has about the salinity of tears too.

geekster

Postby geekster » Sat Dec 18, 2004 2:00 pm

gigglesnort wrote:Oh wait, forgive my slow-moving brain, I figgered it out.

Mine is slower.

helitack

Postby helitack » Sat Dec 18, 2004 2:02 pm

Si

helitack

Postby helitack » Sat Dec 18, 2004 2:05 pm

Geekster you are correct sir. Only a few more days though and I should be OK. Thanks for worrying though. Jeebus, I am going freekin nuts!

Return to “Open Discussion”