Any Burners in Nairobi?

All things outside of Burning Man.
roamer
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: The Rising Arms Pub

Any Burners in Nairobi?

Post by roamer » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:31 am

I know, it's an extreme long shot but if there are any Burners in Nairobi, Kenya, please get in touch.

Even if you've found this a few years after it was posted. Hopefully, by the time you read this, I will have gathered a group of misfits for you to hang out with amid the conventional and unremarkable Nairobi social scene. There is more fun to be had than milling about outside Havanas on a Thursday night!
Doing my bit to put the play in playa

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Any Burners in Nairobi?

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:55 pm

I know so little about what it's really like in Africa... Of course, it's not your business to educate me. But if you have something to say, I'd listen.

(If roamer says something at it's tldr, I'm going to feel so foolish.)
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

roamer
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: The Rising Arms Pub

Post by roamer » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:50 am

So it turns out that there is more than a couple of Burners in Nairobi.
The first of what will hopefully be a monthly gathering is next week.
Just started a FB group to connect everyone.

I'm gonna attempt to pull off a Santacon this Christmas, then a couple of themed parties to raise money for local art collectives in the new year.
Then who knows? Perhaps organise a group to burn an effigy on the beach.
At the very least I'll be able to get my fix of Burners on a regular basis.

Cryptofishist - Africa is a large and varied continent but i can tell you a little about Kenya :wink: ...
It's a relatively stable country with all the embassies, NGOs and multinationals based here but also serving the surrounding countries of East Africa too.
Growing economy with a growing middle class. Nairobi is a giant construction site in an effort to move people out of slums and into apartments.
Nairobi is approximately the same geographical size as Reno but has a population of 3.3 million rather than 233,000.
Over 60% of the population is aged under 24 with a median age of 19.1
Christianity blended with older, ethnic religions is rife along with right-wing politics - they still burn witches, kill black cats and you'll find ads in newspapers offering to place or lift curses. I'd risk my life if I went outside wearing a utilykilt or the horns I was gifted at Kostume Kult.
No social welfare system at all beyond begging for charity. Nor any real tax system set up to fund it.
Upper middle class lifestyle available with income of US$20,000
Music and art recently dropped from school curriculum to save money.
Internet shopping is nonexistent except for a few small, local companies offering low quality products at ridiculously expensive prices.
Smoking is illegal in public so I must dive into a bar or restaurant for a smoke.
There are two Dominos stores and a single Coldstone Creamery in Nairobi.

But the pros outweigh the cons and the love of my life lives here.
Doing my bit to put the play in playa

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:49 am

Roamer, thanks for the short insight. Don't go organizing your own arrest. It sounds like the local constabulary may not understand, 'burner mentality'.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Return to “Open Discussion”