New FAA Rules -- ALL Drones must be registered..

All things outside of Burning Man.
Meat Hunter
Burning Since: 2014

New FAA Rules -- ALL Drones must be registered..

Post by Meat Hunter » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:28 am

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technolog ... li=BBnb7Kz

-----------------------

Regulation of drones in the hands of civilian pilots took a big step forward today. The Federal Aviation Administration announced that all units weighing between 0.55 pounds and 50 pounds must be registered by February 19th, 2016. Anyone caught flying without proper registration after that date could face stiff penalties. The FAA says civil penalties include a fine of up to $27,500. Criminal penalties include a fine of up to $250,000 and up to three years in jail.

The registration will usually include a $5 fee, but the FAA is waiving that for the first 30 days in an effort to encourage participation. It notes that "registrants will need to provide their name, home address and e-mail address. Upon completion of the registration process, the web application will generate a Certificate of Aircraft Registration/Proof of Ownership that will include a unique identification number for the UAS owner, which must be marked on the aircraft." Time to break out those decal packs.

You can't actually register until December 21st, although you can begin the process now. And this registration only covers civilian pilots and hobbyists, not people who want to use a drone for commercial purposes. The FAA did note in this press release, however, that it is "developing enhancements that will allow such online registrations by spring of 2016" for commercial operators.

License and registration please

Owners using the web based registration must be at least 13 years old. It's unclear if younger pilots can apply through snail mail."Make no mistake: unmanned aircraft enthusiast are aviators, and with that title comes a great deal of responsibility," said US secretary of transportation Anthony Foxx. "Registration gives us an opportunity to work with these users to operate their unmanned aircraft safely. I’m excited to welcome these new aviators into the culture of safety and responsibility that defines American innovation."
Specializing in Calibrating Windsocks -- Any where, Any Time, and Any elevation.

Vidi ego exars.

Meat Hunter

Re: New FAA Rules -- ALL Drones must be registered..

Post by Meat Hunter » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:42 am

For those who wish to read the official FAA notification:

https://www.faa.gov/news/press_releases ... wsId=19856

------------------------

For those wishing to begin their registration process:

http://www.faa.gov/uas/registration/
Specializing in Calibrating Windsocks -- Any where, Any Time, and Any elevation.

Vidi ego exars.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:30 pm

Thanks for posting, Meat Hunter! I've nudged this over to Open Discussion since that's a better fit for threads about US or World news. I think it's probably a good idea, there have been a ridiculous number of stories in the news over the last few years about badly behaving operators causing serious issues. A little while ago here in the bay area there was an incident with a police helicopter trying to follow a suspect on the ground nearly colliding with a drone, there were some issues with hobbyist drones interfering with firefighting earlier in the year too. Hopefully the process proves to be simple and easy so it's not too much of a hassle for all the responsible drone users out there.

Meat Hunter

Post by Meat Hunter » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:09 pm

This FAA registration of drones is very similar to the registration of General Aviation aircraft -- This is a U.S. Government regulation.

Like the Burning Man guidelines regarding on who can and how General Aviation aircraft fly at Burning Man; one should not automatically assume that just because their drone is registered with the FAA that the limit on the number and uses of drones at Burning Man will automatically change.

Civilian drone pilots are aviators. Regarding Burning Man drone rules and guidelines, please keep your knowledge current & fly safe.

Vidi ego exars.

BAS
Burning Since: 2006

Post by BAS » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:16 am

Well that complicates my plans for world domination!

(Why does it seem MORE tempting to get a drone or other flying remote control vehicle now that they must be registered? Not that I am likely to buy one any time soon.)
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch

Just_Joe
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Black Rock Weather

Post by Just_Joe » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:25 am

I registered this morning. It was painless.
I'm hoping to bring mine to TTITD again this year for a project.

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:27 pm

Thanks Mr Meat Hunter for posting this.

I believe treating drone pilots equivalent to airplane pilots is a great decision. It reuses policy and infrastructure, saving taxpayer dollars and tells drone pilots that they bear the same responsibilities as pilots and to fellow pilots.

The drone pilot database will be public record. The pilot and aircraft databases are. But the pilot registry allows pilots to maintain privacy of their home or business physical address http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificate ... asability/. The counter argument is that with literally millions of drones in the US, if one crashes into your house or your kids, you can get the registry number off it and go to the owner without red tape.

Maybe a middle ground is to allow law enforcement and insurance companies access to address data.

This issue will be debated. litigated and legislated, but a lack of resolution is no excuse for not registering you and your drone!

Gritty Nitty: http://www.faa.gov/news/updates/media/20151213_IFR.pdf

Some previous drone threads
viewtopic.php?f=69&t=67353&p=975847&hil ... ne#p975847
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=68089&p=991035&hilit=+drone#p990976
viewtopic.php?f=65&t=76385&hilit=drone
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=74669&p=1084710&hil ... e#p1084710
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Zona

Post by Zona » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:55 pm

The FAA is worried about factional thermal sublimation.

You should be too.
Laika and me went on a ride.

BAS
Burning Since: 2006

Post by BAS » Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:26 am

I'm more worried about my diet, but people would probably be happier without my going into detail.
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:31 am

Frida Be You & Me

Bless
Burning Since: 2012

Post by Bless » Mon May 16, 2016 9:17 am

You can print out some pretty nifty "No Drone Zone" signs from the FAA: https://www.faa.gov/uas/no_drone_zone/

Might be fun to hang some of them around camp.

Interesting fact: it is illegal to fly drones in our nation's capital.
FUCK YOU, I'M A WIZARD. FUCK YOU, I'M A SHARK.

daijetmiu
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Disorient

Post by daijetmiu » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:20 am

Hi, is there anyone who has acquired a drone license and willing to assist on a drone videography and photography for our dragon art car Gon Kirin? (https://www.facebook.com/gonkirin/)

We are willing to trade for its service. =)

Regards,
ZparkZ

Return to “Open Discussion”