The Bar 2016 Edition

All things outside of Burning Man.
trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Re: The Bar 2016 Edition

Post by trilobyte » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:20 pm

Glad to hear things are going well (though busy), catman. Personally I've got mixed feelings about the 747. All the pitches I'd seen had indicated that they had much more serious artistic ambitions (well as artistic as one can be considering the form factor). I'm trying not to form a solid opinion until I see the completed project on the playa, and I wish the team well.

Hooray for pre-cooking and food prep - I posted my progress in the one item a day thread. Things are going well, but I'm in the last couple days before going off comms before heading into the dust.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:36 pm

Trilo, I also have mixed emotions about da plane. I saw drawings a while back with an open top observation/dance floor. That looked like fun. If they are going for the biggest 'art car' well, they got the biggest part right. It will be imposing. That's for sure. You have to admire their vision. It's a lot of time, money and planning just to get it there. Is it supposed to be stationary or tootle around? If it rains....Hummm...Get out the blow torches. This is different than any other offering. Maybe that's why it conjures up so many possible negative scenarios. At least I won't miss seeing it like those damn hanging monkeys.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:44 pm

Actually, I don't believe it's going to be an art car... at least in 2016. They had mobility listed as a stretch goal at over $200K in a fundraiser they posted earlier in the season... based on the money they raised it's only going to be a 75 foot chunk of plane. But the imagery I'd seen as part of their 2016 plans made it seem as if the exterior was going to be painted and decorated. Who knows what it'll be like out there, it could be the team has art to apply to the surface, or they have some other tricks up their sleeves to make it special. I want to be optimistic, and regardless of how that project turns out there is so so much that I'm super excited to see and experience.

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:58 am

*Runs in glass raised* Hey everybody, Jackass finally got a ticket! Hip, hip, hooray. gotta go. *dashes back out*

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

ZigZag
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Fade to White

Post by ZigZag » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:21 pm

Afternoon Bar....

I made it.

I made it through my last afternoon at work and actually didn't kill anyone, didn't quit my job, didn't piss off a client, and managed to avoid the CEO's always-at-the-last-minute stupid hairball idea. I made it out intact, am feeling the tug of playa time, and wait, is that dust I smell?

Lots of last minute things to do but I pick up my van tomorrow (confirmed for the umpteenth time) then will get 'er loaded and head out Saturday morning.

OMG. This is real. I think I will probably cry with relief for the first 100 miles or so.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are" Joseph Campbell

Mohairs
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Hushville

Post by Mohairs » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:13 pm

ZigZag wrote:Afternoon Bar....

I made it.

I made it through my last afternoon at work and actually didn't kill anyone, didn't quit my job, didn't piss off a client, and managed to avoid the CEO's always-at-the-last-minute stupid hairball idea. I made it out intact, am feeling the tug of playa time, and wait, is that dust I smell?

Lots of last minute things to do but I pick up my van tomorrow (confirmed for the umpteenth time) then will get 'er loaded and head out Saturday morning.

OMG. This is real. I think I will probably cry with relief for the first 100 miles or so.
I hear ya...tomorrow is my last day at work for 3 1/2 weeks! Furious packing will ensue! And panicky shopping (not necessarily in that order).

Mohairs
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Hushville

Post by Mohairs » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:17 pm

trilobyte wrote: Hey that reminds me, I need to remind myself to call the cc companies on the morning of departure day to let 'em know about the trip. On one hand it's annoying that they're so twitchy about unusual activity these days, but on the other hand I appreciate that we haven't had any bad guys breaking in and cleaning out accounts.
Thanks for the reminder! :)

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:57 am

Morning Bar. I'll just have coffee. Well, maybe a splash of Kahlua. I posted this in the 'FUCK' thread but now that I've slept on it I'm unhappy. My only campmate, Abba Zabba, has a ticket stuck in Canadian customs. There's no appeals, recourse or fast track. (At least I haven't found any). I'm bummed. Abba is bummed. We are prepping like there's no problem but she can't do any shopping for a trip she might not take. I miss her already. I'll cry the first 100 miles too. Her volunteer job is pre event. I made some costumes and a killer hat for her. I've got her table, stove and lantern. Who's gonna give a grilled cheese party? This sucks. I hope the customs people loosen their grip on her vacation.

Arthur Schopenhauer

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:17 am

can bm void paper ticket and have it at will call? im sure youve thought of that but threw it out there anyway. Hope your campmate gets to the playa, Ratty.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:45 am

Thank Lucky. Yeah I contacted ticketing. Look at it from their perspective. Scammers sell the paper ticket and then blah, blah, blah. It will all come together at the end. I hope.

Arthur Schopenhauer

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:19 am

Is it stuck in Canadian Customs as part of its being mailed from Burning Man to her? If so, ticketing (or Ticketfly) may be able to help. If it's from a 3rd party, I don't believe they can. She should maybe reach out to her local MP (member of parliament) or whatever they call the locally elected representatives up in Canuckistan :mrgreen:

In reaching out to a local official, it's best to have all the pertinent info ready. Where it was being sent from, what date it was sent, the complete contents (if it was coming from BMan, it would contain ticket, vehicle pass (if part of the order), printed Survival Guide, and possibly an individually wrapped piece of hard candy (though I'm not sure if those are included on orders shipped outside the US). If it was being sent by a third party, she should call that person up first and find out what's in the envelope (additional stickers, candy, etc).

Funny story, I had a package sent to a burner overseas get caught up in customs years ago. It wasn't a ticket, but a care package of stickers. Why would that get held up, I wondered. Then I remembered - oh yeah, there was a small ziploc bag filled with playa dust in it. The person I was sending to was an excited newbie and very curious about playa dust, so I sent her some of mine. I thought everything would be okay since I wrote DUST on the bag in Sharpie... but yeah, no. They eventually got it, sans bag of playa dust.

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:04 am

Crazy American sends dust overseas in the mail ^^
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:38 pm

I'm currently working with ticket support. (Although it may be automated.) I have a dream.

Arthur Schopenhauer

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:51 pm

You should not be working with ticketing support, THE PERSON HAVING THE PROBLEM SHOULD (and if that ticket isn't in transit *from* Burning Man, the first step would be for the person having the problem to reach out to their local elected official (that's the kind of stuff they often try to get involved in). That said, the automated system is what creates and issues the support ticket, humans do all the work to try and get things resolved.

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:57 pm

And woohoow/whew!!!! My last piece of art for this year's nonsense was finished on Monday, and sent out to be printed. It arrived yesterday, but there was a problem with the print and it looked terrible. I called up the company and sent them some pictures - and like rockstars they rushed a new one into production, had the supervisor double check it, and sent it out overnight (they knew I was leaving Monday). The new one arrived, and it looks great. One less thing to stress about, woohoo!

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:22 pm

Wow Trilo. How many times have I read 'contact ticketing instead of trying to resolve the problem through eplaya'? YES she is contacting everyone in CANADA! I bought and mailed the ticket so I am contacting everyone on this end.

On a lighter note. Ticket support can't do a thing. Once you take physical control of the paper it's out of their hands. Of course they can void a ticket and give a refund later. When the offending thing finally clears customs. We are working every avenue.

Arthur Schopenhauer

The CO
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404://Village Not Found

Post by The CO » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:27 pm

(Emerges from the ABB in a puff of playa dust and mojave sand)

Hi all!

(pours a round of whiskey)

OMG FINAL BURN PREP!!!

(drinks half the round, dissapears back into the ABB)
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
When I ask how many burns, I mean at BRC.

Thecatman
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Post by Thecatman » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:26 pm

Damn Ratty!

I hope things go good for you and your friend.

And I thought there was a longstanding friendship and trust between the two countries.
My cats are cuter than your grandkids!

"Government is not the solution to our problems, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:49 am

first trip to the playa , leaving in an hour.
seeyall on the playa!!
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

ZigZag
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Fade to White

Post by ZigZag » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:04 am

Morning Bar:

Ratty: I sure hope this all works out. Sending gobs of good vibes to you and your friend. I hope it all works out.

I am sitting here eating my granola and sipping my tea. The van is almost done, It rained all day yesterday and I just could not get the loading done. Before I rented the van I had bought several books on CD to listen to on the drive but the truck is really new and does not have a CD player. 8 Tracks, cassettes, CD, technology marches on. So I had to run to Wally world to get a small portable one and they had one. Just one. It made me wonder if I just bought the last CD player in the world!

So I have a bit more loading to do and them I am off! I arrive on playa Wednesday and absolutely cannot wait to see you all!!!!

<Cue> Willie Nelson "on the Road Again" </Cue>
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are" Joseph Campbell

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:13 am

ygmir wrote:first trip to the playa , leaving in an hour.
seeyall on the playa!!

* waves furiously as Ygmir speeds past on I80

Safe travels
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:26 am

I've been annoying the neighbors late at night and early in the morning for weeks, and I'm still in mad prep mode
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:26 am

Ratty wrote:... I bought and mailed the ticket ...
Was it mailed through USPS, or a shipping/courier company (FedEx, UPS, DHL, etc.)?
With shipments coming to Canada, the shipping companies run a scam where they hold the shipment and for a fee (whatever fee they figure they can blackmail you for, based on the stated value of the contents and the perceived "richness" of the business or person they're going to) they'll be your custom broker and "clear customs" for you and deliver the package. If using a shipping/courier company, and communications got fowled, they may not realize they're being held up for a fee.

Items mailed with USPS usually sail right on through. I've never had anything held up by customs. Friends have had things held/delayed in customs, for as long as two days, going by the markings added to the letter/package. One friend with many shipments had one delayed while they contacted him with a question about the contents, then on it came. So if there's been an extended delay, something odd going on. Did you state how long, or did I miss that?
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:30 am

Well, I mailed it USPS 1st Class Registered mail on Aug 2nd. According to my tracking it left Vancouver for it's destination on the 6th. Nobody up there or down here can say where it went. (Other than customs has it).

Arthur Schopenhauer

Aurelia
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: the Love Camp

Post by Aurelia » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:33 am

:mrgreen:
Good morning their bar!
Yggy is on his way and so it really begins

It is time to get ready to walk out the door
xo

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:32 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:I've been annoying the neighbors late at night and early in the morning for weeks, and I'm still in mad prep mode

You got mad skills.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:54 am

Hey Bar! one week, but this is really the last push now this weekend. not much getting done on weekdays, and folks are coming to town as well. Still, time to record some more music and that is keeping me from the letter "P" work. It's like starting a term paper. Always wonder why I didn't start sooner when I get in the swing of it. But getting in the swing of it is the hardest thing I do all year.

I found I have enough canned and packaged staples to get through the week just need a few more food things. Some ravioli to put on the dashboard in the event of a dusty white out.
"Ask again later." - Magic 8-Ball

mgb327

Post by mgb327 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:08 pm

Hey gang, just checking in. I did my last official "work" today until I feel like doing more...like in October. Full tilt prep going now. Will bring the camper up to the house and start loading Monday AM. I will start the drive Wed AM, will arrive Calpine, Cal. on Friday night. Shit, every year I get this pit-of-the-stomach thing going on. Maybe because I have to drive 3000 miles just to get there. I don't know. All I know is I will see all you fuckos next week!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:43 pm

Bbbbbbut youve gone to far if you go to Calpine.

The event is in Nevada. NEH-VA-DUH
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:22 pm

Ratty wrote:Well, I mailed it USPS 1st Class Registered mail on Aug 2nd. According to my tracking it left Vancouver for it's destination on the 6th. Nobody up there or down here can say where it went. (Other than customs has it).
That is very very strange.
On August 6th, left Vancouver Washington or Vancouver British Columbia?
If Canada Customs (they don't exist, it's Canada Border Services Agency) does have it, they should have contacted the sender or intended recipient (usually the recipient, as they're in Canada) about any concerns they have with the shipment that made them hold it.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Return to “Open Discussion”