The Bar 2016 Edition

All things outside of Burning Man.
BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Re: The Bar 2016 Edition

Post by BBadger » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:11 pm

Oh wow, Portland has a riot now. First it was just protesters blocking up traffic, creating a nuissance, but now a hooligan contingency has become violent and started breaking stuff. Some folks from work decided to work from home because it was taking too long to commute with the protesting blocking the roads, and also probably to watch their stuff.

Tomorrow will rain. It'll all be over soon.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:33 pm

Hooligans always ruining shit
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:55 pm

Hooligans indeed.....I find it curious how whichever side is embarrassed by said "hooligans", calls them just that, and makes sure to say they are not part of "their people", and yet, the same thing happens with "the other side" and it's "all of them" and represents the whole group.

haha humans are funny that way.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Aurelia
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: the Love Camp

Post by Aurelia » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:37 pm

I am just watching Bill Maher .
We are all working for the grace that President Obama had when he was talking about this time.

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:53 pm

ygmir wrote:Hooligans indeed.....I find it curious how whichever side is embarrassed by said "hooligans", calls them just that, and makes sure to say they are not part of "their people", and yet, the same thing happens with "the other side" and it's "all of them" and represents the whole group.

Omg this made my head spin. :lol: but yes I think
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Aurelia
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: the Love Camp

Post by Aurelia » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:14 pm

Patriots cannot move out. P

Blue_Bike
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: As of 2017, Rootpile Bluegrass Camp

Post by Blue_Bike » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:20 pm

Patsh wrote:[quote=

The people in the 'B' department are all living examples of the Dunning-Kruger effect, blissfully unaware.
There are so many more of these than I'd ever have dared to guess... armies of them crawling out of the woodwork. :shock:
Thanks so very much Patsh for helping me put a more eloquent tone into it when I refer to clueless fucking idiots (I am not referring to anything overtly political with this post, simply saying thanks for the language help.). I really do appreciate it. Hope you are well, and TM too!
Fearlessly be Honest.
Honestly be Kind.
Tirelessly be Passionate.
Passionately be Creative.
Openly be Joyful.
Mindfully be the Person You Want to Be.

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:43 pm

Blue_Bike wrote:

The people in the 'B' department are all living examples of the Dunning-Kruger effect, blissfully unaware.
There are so many more of these than I'd ever have dared to guess... armies of them crawling out of the woodwork. :shock:
Thanks so very much Patsh for helping me put a more eloquent tone into it when I refer to clueless fucking idiots (I am not referring to anything overtly political with this post, simply saying thanks for the language help.). I really do appreciate it. Hope you are well, and TM too!
yeah the best way to make friends and have understanding is to use terms and take attitudes as above. It really does help to call names and use derisive terms. I'm sure those you don't agree with will be super willing to listen to your arguments, and possible accept what you think and say is right.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Blue_Bike
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: As of 2017, Rootpile Bluegrass Camp

Post by Blue_Bike » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:02 pm

ygmir wrote:
Blue_Bike wrote:

yeah the best way to make friends and have understanding is to use terms and take attitudes as above. It really does help to call names and use derisive terms. I'm sure those you don't agree with will be super willing to listen to your arguments, and possible accept what you think and say is right.
I refrain from name calling online (to the best of my ability). I certainly don't ever remember throwing any mud around here. But as a human being I can at times let high emotion cloud my reasoning. And on occasion in a private rant in person among friends my language can get salty and borderline mean. I try to listen with an open mind and heart to those who do and do not share my views. I believe that what we share in common is far greater than the sum of our individual differences. Yet I can misinterpret others and their motives as anyone else can. You must have at least once or twice, eh?
Fearlessly be Honest.
Honestly be Kind.
Tirelessly be Passionate.
Passionately be Creative.
Openly be Joyful.
Mindfully be the Person You Want to Be.

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:25 am

Blue_Bike wrote: Yet I can misinterpret others and their motives as anyone else can. You must have at least once or twice, eh?
ah yes. I've made many, many mistakes and misinterpretations.
No doubt there.
I try to keep an open mind, and learn. Sometimes, it changes my attitude......sometimes it reinforces it.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:02 am

Well here's me on the plane to San Francisco, but it's just a stop enroute elsewhere. No visiting or sightseeing.
Oh well.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:18 am

Hula skirt packed? ^^
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:49 pm

Nah I'm in Palm Springs, but I am wearing a shirt I got in Kauai.

Thecatman
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Post by Thecatman » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:55 pm

So, you look like a tourist?
My cats are cuter than your grandkids!

"Government is not the solution to our problems, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:20 pm

Well I wore a shirt from Kauai in BRC too!

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:48 pm

ygmir wrote:Hooligans indeed.....I find it curious how whichever side is embarrassed by said "hooligans", calls them just that, and makes sure to say they are not part of "their people", and yet, the same thing happens with "the other side" and it's "all of them" and represents the whole group.

Though it could be the reporting too. First it's just a "protest" that doesn't get much attention (bunch of kids marching and yelling? Meh). Then some people escalate the "protest" maybe because the march has wandered through an area with some nice shops and cars. There is some fighting, damage, looting, etc. using the protest as a cover/excuse (Oh shit!). That shit then gets covered and photographed as the only representation of what happened at the "protest" (because nobody bothered to film it prior). Then comes the damage control, the claims of "instigators" and "hooligans" ruining a peaceful protest, and the "good protesters" protecting property and helping out.

Then the weather starts to suck, people go home, we forget about the whole thing.

Oh humanity.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:00 am

BBadger wrote:

Though it could be the reporting too. First it's just a "protest" that doesn't get much attention (bunch of kids marching and yelling? Meh). Then some people escalate the "protest" maybe because the march has wandered through an area with some nice shops and cars. There is some fighting, damage, looting, etc. using the protest as a cover/excuse (Oh shit!). That shit then gets covered and photographed as the only representation of what happened at the "protest" (because nobody bothered to film it prior). Then comes the damage control, the claims of "instigators" and "hooligans" ruining a peaceful protest, and the "good protesters" protecting property and helping out.

Then the weather starts to suck, people go home, we forget about the whole thing.

Oh humanity.
yeah and that's just the thing, IMHO: we can't trust media to give accurate reports. They are after headlines which equate to money. The more drama, the better. And they do it so much, most can't even tell anymore. They "project" all sorts of calamity,,and report it as fact, scaring people and stirring them up, because, it makes more juicy news. And then, as you say, show the worst of any event, again for attention. Whether it's out of context snippets, or short shots of bad behavior.
And, so many "eat it up" if it reinforces their ideas or fears.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot's Bicycle Service

Post by Elliot » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:51 am

"He who controls the printing presses...."
Our address in 2019 is at 4:00 & Cupid
NOW HIRING BICYCLE TECHNICIANS
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service, Massage Clinic, Body Painting Studio, & Piano Lounge

Traveller in Time
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Neon Light Alley (should be: Camp Envy)

Post by Traveller in Time » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:54 am

There is each Sunday a new 'Drink Water' journal, seems to be a continuous water clock.
Dreaming a temporary world improving the default world

Not expressing yourself but embracing all other expressions is The Challenge

...I can make anything I can imagine . . . I just can't make _some_ things happen

Have some Free will

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:45 am

*Sloshes in with squishy wet shoes* I'm fixing a hot drink. Anybody else? I'm soaked through. Yes, it's 'Bite the Bullet' day. I just washed the tent. I put it off as long a I could but there's not too many hot days left. Mmmmmm. Steamy.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:43 pm

Ha hahahahaha

That was futile but rousing :lol:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:35 am

Morning, Bar! Up early, my poor sweetie's feeling poorly so I'll be doing my best to pamper her and help her nip whatever she might be coming down with in the bud. It's been a busy month so far, aside from projects we've gotten a little time to enjoy ourselves though. Caught Dr. Strange and Arrival at the movies (both were really good) and last weekend saw comedian Dylan Moran live - it was nice to lighten the mood a bit after election week. Assuming that my darling feels better then tomorrow night we've got tickets to see Anthony Bourdain (sort of a travel/food writer, we've been a fan of his work for years). And the Artumnal Gathering is this weekend, woohoo!

Oh yeah, I almost forgot... I got a few batches of limoncello started too, which should hopefully be done in time for the 2017 burn.

magicmarty
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Hushville - Althing

Post by magicmarty » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:20 am

Just poking my head in to say hi.

(((LF)))
"Creativity requires the courage to let go of certainties" - Erich Fromm

Stay firm but loose!

MagicMarty

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:32 am

trilobyte wrote: we've got tickets to see Anthony Bourdain (sort of a travel/food writer, we've been a fan of his work for years). And the Artumnal Gathering is this weekend, woohoo!
He actually signed the trailer at an Indian Taco stand (Oasis 29), so if there's an answer-and-question segment, ask him what he thinks of them.

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:06 am

Good to know, and great question

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:07 pm

The Bourdain thing was great. Funny guy and engaging speaker, and the new book is pretty good too. He did a short q&a at the end, but I didn't get to ask. I like to think he loved those indian tacos. Last night we saw the fantastic beasts movie at my new favorite movie theater, which is odd because it's celebrating its 100th anniversary. It's a place called the New Mission theater, it fell into complete disrepair for decades and then after years of restoration re-opened last year. Architecturally it looks like it did back then, but the insides are how all movie joints should be. Comfy seats, spacious aisles, reserved seating, great food & drink (with full bar, to boot), and waiter service. They make a mean singapore sling, too....

Tonight's the artumnal gathering! The dinner proper is a bit out of our range, so we'll be grabbing it beforehand with Killbuck and Nilasnake and then heading on over to the shindig. Pani's got a pair of earrings she designed in the auction, and Killbuck has a piece of his art in it that I'm eager to see, plus they usually deck the place out with all manner of amazing art.

Until then, it's back to the digital grindstone. I'm working on building a space in a new virtual world... fun stuff! Now, where's my drink?

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:46 pm

Darn! Last year I swore I was going this year. Then a volunteer opportunity came up and I've been to SF already once today. I knew I wouldn't want to go twice. I'll just have a Mai Tai and hang out on the divan. Ahhhhhh.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

magicmarty

Post by magicmarty » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:00 pm

Missed you at the Autumnal Gathering, Trillo, but did see Killbuck and Nila and Aurelia. Too bad Ratty, would have loved to bump into you as well. Fun night and got home at about 3 AM, after getting to my car, parked on the street nearby, and finding the rear window smashed and a couple of things the thug did not want on the curb. Nothing stolen since there was nothing of any value in the car to steal. Pain in the ass during these currently rainy days.. Happily the thug was considerate and only broke a very small side window at the rear of my Prius. Gives me something to do on Monday. At my advanced age, I consider that getting home from a party at 3 AM a badge of honor! Recuperating in jammies all day today!!! Perfect timing for the NEB!

Cheers

Stay firm but loose!

MagicMarty

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot's Bicycle Service

Post by Elliot » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:13 pm

Hey MagicMarty, glad you had a fine time. One of these days (years) I must make it to this event.

But arrrgh... thieves! Some years back, my car was broken into in broad daylight on a busy street near Fisherman's Wharf with lots of people around.
I was showing a visitor from overseas around, and his luggage was stolen with all his photos from three months of touring the US.
A witness reported two -- TWO DIFFERENT -- thieves had hit the car. The first broke the window and stole my friend's luggage. The second arrived later and stole what little trivial stuff was left.
The second was caught, which caused me to waste a full day of driving to San Francisco and sitting in a courtroom from opening time to closing time to absolutely no purpose.

Now... I just read a rumor to the effect that the 2017 Theme was announced at the Artumnal. Any truth to that?
Our address in 2019 is at 4:00 & Cupid
NOW HIRING BICYCLE TECHNICIANS
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service, Massage Clinic, Body Painting Studio, & Piano Lounge

magicmarty

Post by magicmarty » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:52 pm

Hi Elliot, If it was, I did not hear it. It was very noisy and my hearing ain't what it used to be. Some years ago I had a great little Alfa Romeo and had it broken into and the radio stolen in SF on a very broad and open street at about noon. Then, after having the radio replaced, about a month or two later, that one was stolen from the car at the Oakland airport parking lot. Sort of a radio curse for that car. Otherwise, it was a jewel to drive. Got it up to 105 mph on the Richmond San Rafael bridge. Long time ago, before that bridge became like all the others, a traffic bottle neck. And yes, it is one hell of a party with non stop music and various acts. This year at the Regency Ballroom in a building that was built on Van Ness in 1908. The elevator is the oldest in SF and requires a human elevator operator. It has its ups and downs (couldn't resist). Loads of beautiful costumes. Definitely a great party!

(((LF)))

Cheers

Stay firm but loose!

MagicMarty

Return to “Open Discussion”