philosophical discussions

All things outside of Burning Man.
ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

philosophical discussions

Post by ygmir » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:44 am

be nice to avoid "ad hominem", but be able to discuss "stuff". Give and take?
I'll start with a cartoon:
13934870_320224678318769_874683756554566818_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

GadMatt
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Camp Gadzooks... Creative Cognition

Re: philosophical discussions

Post by GadMatt » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:44 pm

To an astonishing level:

Our lives are shaped by those that love us...

and those that refuse to love us.

tatonka
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Post by tatonka » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:31 pm

Hey Gadmat how are ya , been to the Soak several times now , great place , thks for steering me that way :)
Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed by the masses.
-Plato

If a good man is offered power , he has to lower himself to pick it up .

mgb327

Post by mgb327 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:38 pm

The answer is always 42.
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:45 pm

mgb327 wrote:The answer is always 42.
I thought the answer was "no".
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

GadMatt

Post by GadMatt » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:37 am

Hey Yah!
The answer from the cartoon is clearly "No".
No means no, but does that equate to indifference? (Hence the obscure comment concerning the shaping of our lives.)

What is the meaning... of meaning? Does my life have it? Does yours? Perhaps or ...?
We, as humans can't deal with such ambiguity. Just as if there was/were no God(s); we would have to invent one (or more). Perhaps the same can be said of "meaning" to ones life. It's just the way we are wired. Why ask, if we're gonna invent an answer anyway. (Please note I said AS IF. I do not wish to enter a discussion about faith or proof or religion... that honestly & truly is not my purpose.)

How much more interesting it would have been, if in the cartoon, God would have replied with KNOW.

Hi Tatonka! I'll PM ya.

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:42 am

"know" indeed.
yeah, humans want answers, and want to quantify everything.
I find an interesting dilemma in that the more science discovers, the more questions arise, and it would seem there will never be "the final answer". As such, it may come down to "magic", as it were.
We could end up realizing some things work "just because they work" and we'll never know the entire mechanism.
As such, we'd have to ascribe it to "magic" or whatever term for a power we can't and won't understand, "faith" if you will.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

tatonka
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Post by tatonka » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:14 pm

Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed by the masses.
-Plato

If a good man is offered power , he has to lower himself to pick it up .

Perpetual Burn
Burning Since: 2021

Post by Perpetual Burn » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:26 am

For God to say there is one meaning or purpose to your life is to deny your Free Will which is a Divine gift of epic consequence... but it's what we've chosen...

So, No, there is not "a" purpose to your life... there are as many MO's as there are decisions to make...

And since God is infinite... God's got an infinite number of ways to interact with every decision you make...

God IS Love and Compassion, so throughout all the decisions and adversity you face God will always find a way to try to transform the events to make you stronger and be closer to the Truth that God Loves you and yeah...

There's absolutely no point to your life... other than to live... love... burn...
Funfinity manifeats Mettatacular phazes
Dancipate white hazes of purple sea dazes
Swiminfinite Dust as Defaultia lusts
Unpossibility reigns nonlimited mindbusts
Rollbliterate ego ~n~ drop dosasses Monases
Spuntaneous artkarmaval ~ Burn Bright, All

GadMatt

Post by GadMatt » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:11 am

Is meaning and purpose really the same thing?
Who said only one meaning?
The question was suffering. "Any meaning to my brief and painful existence?"

P.S. Nice one Mister T

MyDearFriend
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Post by MyDearFriend » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:47 am

GadMatt, when I was an anguished adolescent I asked my philosophy professor how the hard work & suffering of life can be endured. What could be worth it?

His answer was "Love."

Took me a very long time to understand how right he was. Sounds like you understand this, too. 8)

Now my son keeps asking me, "What is life?"

He has to find this out for himself.
"Burning Man ruined my life as I knew it, and I have never been happier." -mgb327

"BTW I'm not your wife so don't lie to me." -Ratty

mgb327

Post by mgb327 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:02 am

"Life". A very popular magazine in the 50's-70's. I am Neanderthal, hear me not think.
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:40 am

I tell you guys something: I think it's high time we update the old board game of Monopoly for Millennials, in order to make it more relatable. As they go around the board they only pay rent and never actually own any properties. And if they can't pay rent they can simply stay in the basement.

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:12 am

Having spent more time than I could endure in the "It's shit, then we die" camp, I try to go with the area where love is the best explanation. There are momentary experiences where the synapses fire, and the dopamine flows, and everything seems purposeful and connected, and we laugh. I try to position myself where those are likely to happen, in community with others. I am simply an animal, burdened by questions and quality judgements, sometimes jealous of the perfection of ants in their hill, no questions, everything purpose driven. If they feel enslaved, then I guess that theory is flawed.
"Ask again later." - Magic 8-Ball

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:36 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:I tell you guys something: I think it's high time we update the old board game of Monopoly for Millennials, in order to make it more relatable. As they go around the board they only pay rent and never actually own any properties. And if they can't pay rent they can simply stay in the basement.
will there be a "safe place" in case another player speaks harshly?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:41 pm

"as you ramble on through life, Friend
Whatever be your goal
Keep your eye on the doughnut
and not on the hole"

.....author unknown.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

mgb327

Post by mgb327 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:36 pm

untitledmmm.png
D'Oh!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:09 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:I tell you guys something: I think it's high time we update the old board game of Monopoly for Millennials, in order to make it more relatable. As they go around the board they only pay rent and never actually own any properties. And if they can't pay rent they can simply stay in the basement.
They'll have the option of never leaving the "Free Parking" square, but maybe can earn a little income working for, but not owning a Starbucks as a overly educated barista.

Or how about updating the Game of Life?

"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:09 am

when the market crashes and doc is living in his basement i am so gonna repost this.

karma gonna make you eat your words, boyo...
Frida Be You & Me

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:07 am

I should carry a printed copy of this. I get stuck on questions about the Org.

http://www.rgj.com/story/life/arts/burn ... /95018120/
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

burner von braun

Post by burner von braun » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:01 am

Thanks for the good informational reminder Ratty, especially in light of the email that I suspect those of us who have burner profiles all received (or soon will be receiving) from Maid Marian, requesting donations.

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:36 am

Yup. I got that email yesterday.

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:46 pm

I've given them enough money.
That email went to the trash folder pronto.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:35 pm

At first I checked whether that was a hippie phishing scam, but then it turned out to be a legitimate (in the sense that it actually came from BM, LLC) solicitation for money from the CEO of Burning Man, LLC.

I love how they frame this solicitation as a "gift". Maybe they should call it a "mere boon" just for effect. Isn't asking for "gifts" frowned upon in Burning Man culture? The kind of thing dirty hippies do? The BMOrg has effectively degraded and debased the meaning of "gift" with this email, especially in the context of its meaning in this event.

Aren't we already paying for access this event with our tickets and ever-price-increasing vehicle passes (which the solicitation even acknowledges)? That on top of every other thing, money, time and resources, we bring to this blank slate of a playa which makes up the vast supermajority of what makes this event? This is not meant to diminish the role of the Org and its volunteers and staff in making this event come alive, or that it does cost money to do, but really, asking for "gifts" on top of all this? I'd just rather they jack up the prices if they need funding (over the $2.4M and $1M surplus of the previous two years), than suffer us this indignation.

I also think it's funny that if you happen to visit the donation page, you'll also see that the minimum amount to donate is $25. Yeah, no measly $3 or $10 donations, the kind of lowly shit Wikipedia or Archive.org might be willing to suffer. No it's gotta bit at least $25, but there are options up to $1000. You can even give them stocks or bitcoins or other shit for your solicited "gift."

I have a pretty dim view of solicitations for donations from organizations that I've already paid into. My university does this all the time. Why, after years of tuition and tuition hikes would I feel compelled to donate back to my university, only to see it spent on the football program or some new buildings? They already took half our grant money straight off the top while I was there. I'd rather donate it directly to the the people and groups that helped me in school, rather than the nebulous slush fund of the University coffers.

While I hold the administrators of this event in higher esteem, I likewise don't see the appeal of donating to some general fund rather than helping to fund specific projects or camps. The latter is, to me, the core of Burning Man. Not the Man. Not the Temple. Not Center Camp. I appreciate all those things and all the people involved, but no, to me it's all the things that artists, people and camps bring to the event. That's where the whole "participation" thing comes from. All the Org-managed stuff is supposed to be covered by our ticket prices and profit on coffee and ice. That's what it's there for. Oh sure, $1.2M or whatever goes into grants, but I'd rather just donate directly my time, money, or resources to specific projects instead.

I'm not frowning upon donating to BM, but soliciting "gifts" from a mailing list email? That's pretty low. Who thought this was a good idea? Well I'm unsubscribed now from that mailing list. I sure didn't opt in for this! I just hope they didn't just hijack the JRS mailing list or some other list that might have actual important messages, not just spam.
no-soliciting.png
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:13 am

Bbadger, Mine went directly into the trash too. It's just not my favorite place to give. I went to the BM page and read the financial report there. Same as the one I posted with nicer graphics. The comments on the bottom were funny. Reduce our carbon footprint by planting trees somewhere to off set the shameful damage we've done. (Not likely. Not interested.) Or the guy that thinks the salaries are too high. He should check other non-profits before complaining.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Return to “Open Discussion”