Making Humans a Multiplanetary Species

All things outside of Burning Man.
BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Re: Making Humans a Multiplanetary Species

Post by BBadger » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:59 pm

DoctorIknow wrote:Several space elevators lead to a giant "circumterran" space station that encircles Earth at geostationary altitude. The analogy with a wheel is evident: the space station itself is the wheel rim, Earth is the axle, and the six equidistant space elevators the spokes.
Arthur’s idea was that Earth become a garden paradise, with only a minimal population to maintain it. The rest of the human population of Earth would be living in the “wheel” and take vacations on planet earth.
The funny thing about that is that I get to live on this vacation-planet my entire life! Why get stuck on some damn artificial floating ring with the only scenery being the ring itself, the great black expanse of space (that I can see from Earth too!), and a view down of the paradise we're enjoying right now. How would that even be an improvement? To desire that kind of living is demonstrating how out of touch we are as a species with the planet we're living on.
Lots of research happening with nano tech, and excluding the fantasy of Arthur Clarke, we simply have to stop poking holes in our delicate atmosphere with all these rockets that increase by numbers every year, and a space tether can haul everything up there and make rockets obsolete.
Space elevators would definitely be nice for cheaper lift tech, and maybe to make space tourism cheaper.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:56 pm

Well in a ride that long you could certainly get away with a lot more misbehavior in the elevator than we can now... so that's an advancement.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Traveller in Time
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Neon Light Alley (should be: Camp Envy)

Post by Traveller in Time » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:59 am

They have just dropped another camera on Mars.
Included is a weather station to measure the dust-density.
Dreaming a temporary world improving the default world

Not expressing yourself but embracing all other expressions is The Challenge

...I can make anything I can imagine . . . I just can't make _some_ things happen

Have some Free will

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:32 pm

So if we build a ring circumventing the equator, would it defy gravity and be locked there for good?

Could we also spin the ring slower/faster and use the magnetosphere as a giant generator?

Too bad the earth wobbles and the moon is flying away.

John Done
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: No, I don't

Post by John Done » Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:44 am

I know that there can be other civilizations, there should be there. But I don't think that it is real to make humans a multi-planetary species. Well, there are lots of function movies tell us that it is possible, but they also that time travel is possible too. Maybe in the future, there will be an opportunity to grow the people from a bottle and select the needed set of parameters suitable for some planets.

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:52 am

Token wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:32 pm
So if we build a ring circumventing the equator, would it defy gravity and be locked there for good?

Could we also spin the ring slower/faster and use the magnetosphere as a giant generator?

Too bad the earth wobbles and the moon is flying away.
There have been proposals to use the Earth's spin to generate electricity. It has enormous momentum of course, and there's no technology we can come up with that would significantly alter the spin.

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:35 am

We don't even have a "colony" on Antarctica.

Return to “Open Discussion”