The Bar 2017 Edition

All things outside of Burning Man.
Elliot
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service

Re: The Bar 2017 Edition

Postby Elliot » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:17 pm

(*strolls in, covered in Playa Dust -- last year's Playa Dust. addresses no-one in particular*)

It is too bad we cannot have a "Page 2" in the Tickets section. Except... this would be for real.
It would be sooooo much fun to create requirements and conditions, and hold essay contests and other contests, and so on, and so forth, for Tickets!

"OFFERED: One ticket, $425 plus the usual = $475.
Buyer must be one-legged Turk with green eyes and a Porsche 911 Turbo, and must play the piano very well."
Elliot's Cell-Phone-Free Naked Non-Smoking Bicycle Service, Healing Arts, Body Paint & Piano Bar
BRC 2018

-----Bike come unglued? Take it to the nude dude! -----

http://www.elliotsbikes.org

Awesome? Yes, Ma'am, we do awesome.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby trilobyte » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:40 am

We have enough trouble with both page 2 and the ticket boards as it is, no thanks.

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service

Postby Elliot » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:38 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ya know. Trilo.... I almost added the following to that post: (*runs out before Trilobyte shows up*)
I certainly understand.

This morning I'm washing and sanitizing three 55 gallon water barrels. And 1,000 other tasks that need doing in the next nine days.
We are going to Burning Man!
Elliot's Cell-Phone-Free Naked Non-Smoking Bicycle Service, Healing Arts, Body Paint & Piano Bar
BRC 2018

-----Bike come unglued? Take it to the nude dude! -----

http://www.elliotsbikes.org

Awesome? Yes, Ma'am, we do awesome.

trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby trilobyte » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:30 pm

Fun stuff, and good luck with the barrels!

Last minute frenzy is frenzied! On the up side, I've also made my final decision on the drinks I'll be serving for my session of the Brainy Bar.

tattooedreceptionist
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Swamp Thing

Postby tattooedreceptionist » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:21 pm

LeonardPotato wrote:
Anyone here planning on camping at Pyramid lake Sunday night?
I am going to stay there and head in at about 3am on Monday.

Im camping there Saturday night, leaving at the turn of midnight to join the 5mph stampede to gate road
Norma Jean
Don't forget the pantalónes!

MyDearFriend
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Postby MyDearFriend » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:24 pm

I am so excited, I can't sleep. This year I am taking the train out to Reno, instead of driving, so I can actually stay up all night doing Burn prep but instead, I am ahead of my lists. I have time to sleep. But I am too excited.

*opens another bottle of wine*

One more day at work, then I am out of here... 8) 8) 8)
"Burning Man ruined my life as I knew it, and I have never been happier." -mgb327

"BTW I'm not your wife so don't lie to me." -Ratty

trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby trilobyte » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:01 pm

Just seeing LeonardPotato's comment as quoted by tattooedreceptionist... You know the gates will open up at midnight Saturday night (well, 12:01am Sunday 27 August), right? For such a long journey to an event that lasts a relatively short period of time, you may want to consider going in early Sunday morning. Don't get me wrong, Lake Pyramid is a beautiful place, but may be someplace to consider getting a permit and spending the night there post event.

The train trip sounds like fun, MyDearFriend! It'll be a great adventure, with bonus points for not having to be sitting behind the wheel on that long drive. Burn prep, relaxing, and generally having a good time... reminds me of a project my gf was involved with many years ago.... drinktrain! :D

So much left to do, I start loading out in a couple days!

Aurelia
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: the Love Camp

Postby Aurelia » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:57 am

:mrgreen:
Good morning Dave bar!
MDF I am so looking forward to seeing you again come over to 530 and H the love camp and say hello we have a new baby there.
I don't make lists but I certainly have a lot of stuff piled up to take with me.
XOXO

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby ygmir » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:08 am

HI Gang!
I leave for Playa Friday, so, hope to seeya out there!
Yay for the train, MDF!! I hope it's great!
Now, last minute "panic packing"....grabbing the 4th set of sunglasses and extra case of water. ..
this is where I get in trouble, I pack so many things I don't need last minute....but always forget something. haha
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

lucky420
Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby lucky420 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:18 am

Hola bar!

Today I take the coolest most aloof dog to the vet for a nail trim. She's such a darn diva (doesn't like anyone touching her toes) that they must sedate her first. $$$

Other than that...leaving for playa on the 21st and most everything is DONE! :coffee:

Safe travels everyone.

Aurelia, hugs

Julia I hope to see you & puppy in Reno Sunday if w all have our shit together...

Ygmir, keep an eye out for me, I'll be waving at ya from the Keystone I80 exit :D
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Aurelia
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: the Love Camp

Postby Aurelia » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:08 am

:mrgreen:
Come over to the love camp and say hello to me I'm leaving on the 21st to get there and start building

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Dr. Pyro » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:29 pm

I've just got to vent. I can't frigging believe how stupid some burners are. I mean, beyond retarded. I just got back from the Post Office to send someone a ticket to TTITD certified mail. I followed the instructions he emailed me. When I got to the PO they said there is no address listed in Los Angeles 90013 for the address he himself sent. So I emailed back and he meant to say Santa Monica 90405. How do you not know the city and zip you live in for something you just paid $488 + certified mail fee to have sent? If I hadn't insisted on sending it certified mail he never would have received it and would have blamed me. What a moron. And surprise: He's a Bernie supporter of course.

LeonardPotato

Postby LeonardPotato » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:43 pm

trilobyte wrote:Just seeing LeonardPotato's comment as quoted by tattooedreceptionist... You know the gates will open up at midnight Saturday night (well, 12:01am Sunday 27 August), right? For such a long journey to an event that lasts a relatively short period of time, you may want to consider going in early Sunday morning. Don't get me wrong, Lake Pyramid is a beautiful place, but may be someplace to consider getting a permit and spending the night there post event.

Thanks for the pointers. I will be getting to the Pyramid lake area around 8p or 9p on Sunday.
So the struggle I am facing is to press on and have potentially long lines after 12+ hours on the road.
Or lay up and get some sleep and get down there in the wee hours of Monday morning somewhat rested and possibly have shorter lines.

My fear is being over tired on the trip and waiting in a really long line, finding a place to camp etc and end up too exhausted.
But that does mean I miss precious time on the Playa.

Thoughts?
To days of inspiration, playing hooky, making something out of nothing. The need to express, to communicate. To going against the grain, going insane, going mad. To love and tension, no pension. To more than one dimension

trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby trilobyte » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:00 pm

That is a good point. It is worth noting that in order to camp there, you must buy a permit from the Paiute tribe in advance. I'm not sure the cost or the hours, but they've been known to be tough on unpermitted campers.

Coming from Illinois, there are two other options I can see. One is to overshoot the turnoff and drive straight on to Reno (you can get there in less time than it would take you to get to the campground from the turnoff) and take advantage of the Barbie Death Village Reno hotel deal (check Rideshares and Resource Sharing) and get a cheap room. Yeah, you'll have to backtrack from Reno to the Pyramid Lake exit in the morning, but you'll have gotten some sleep... in a bed. The other option is to check your friendly neighborhood mapping app of choice for a motel along the way.

Normally I'd suggest that you could probably just get a few hours of shuteye sleeping in the car at a rest stop, but I should imagine they will either be jammed up with people (and noplace to park) or not allowing that sort of thing.

Overall though, yeah, if you're worried about being dead on your feet when you hit the line and nobody else in the car to trade shifts with... get a little rest before you get in.

trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby trilobyte » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:02 pm

Ouch, Doc, I feel your pain! I had someone do that on some non-playa stuff I was shipping a couple years back, somewhere in their brain they mixed up their home address with their office city and zip code. WTF, when would you ever need to mash that info up?

LeonardPotato

Postby LeonardPotato » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:07 pm

There is a Loves right off the highway that someone said was a good place to stop.
Good news is I have a permit for the campsite ($15.00 BTW)
Also, I am pulling a small camping trailer so I can sleep wherever I choose to stay.

So I have options. But I will play it by energy level when I hit the exit.
To days of inspiration, playing hooky, making something out of nothing. The need to express, to communicate. To going against the grain, going insane, going mad. To love and tension, no pension. To more than one dimension

FIGJAM

Postby FIGJAM » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:17 pm

Get a nap before heading north to the playa!!!

That last leg can be excruciating after a long drive.

I did it the first year and left before the Man Burn because entry made me unable to face a long exodus. :roll:
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

MyDearFriend
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Postby MyDearFriend » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:19 am

lucky420 wrote:
Julia I hope to see you & puppy in Reno Sunday if w all have our shit together...

Oh hell yeah seriously let's all have our shit together. 8)

We will be there all day Monday too (thank you Doc Pyro for the Reno hotel deal!) and then after the Burn, 3 nights in Reno to get our shit totally together before we get on the train again... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: AS IF. Lucky I really really hope to see you & your kids in Reno. And to check out some of your fabulous retail opportunities. 8)

((((((((((Yggy))))))))) I really think you need five pairs of sunglasses. No seriously, VultureChow & Graidawg have a "sunglass hut" at Hookers & Makers in Barbie Death Village, if you lose your sunglasses come and grab a pair. or two. They might be yours anyway. VC brings tons to display and then adds what they MOOP up on playa. 8)

((((((Aurelia)))))))) 5:30 & H, yes I will get there!

LeonardPotato, if you can rest at all on the way in then please do it. Don't be one of those people who wind up in the med station first thing because they are just too tired and excited to set up camp safely! But I do know how it is. 8) I can't sleep myself, and this is my 7th Burn.

(((((((Trilo))))))) I am going to come by your camp again this year, and maybe this time I will find you in. 8)
"Burning Man ruined my life as I knew it, and I have never been happier." -mgb327

"BTW I'm not your wife so don't lie to me." -Ratty

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Postby Ratty » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:07 am

Yggy, If you forget something just post your wants HERE . We got you covered.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

burner von braun
Burning Since: 2010

Postby burner von braun » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:12 pm

Well, the truck is stuffed full of all of the things. It's been another doozy of a prep, but now, finally it's time to settle back and enjoy the road trip. I'll be thinking of those of you who aren't able to make it out there this year, and I'm certainly looking forward to seeing many of you in the dust! Woohooo!

ygmir

Postby ygmir » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:16 pm

seeya soon BVB
Glad you're making it back!

Thanks Ratty!! That's nice to know!

and yeah, MDF, you can't have too many sunglasses. Safe travels!!

and safe travels to all!! Especially those coming so far, like BVB does!! wow.!
I'm heading out in the morning for my first trip....then home and back our Saturday for the duration.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

mgb327

Postby mgb327 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:05 pm

I am envious of the "going out and back" type trips. We leave Monday for the start of the drive out. We live in Charlottesville, will be very, very happy to go away for a few weeks. See you soon!
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.

Joeln
Burning Since: 2014

Postby Joeln » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:15 pm

Hopefully we stumble across each other in the dust!

burner von braun wrote:Well, the truck is stuffed full of all of the things. It's been another doozy of a prep, but now, finally it's time to settle back and enjoy the road trip. I'll be thinking of those of you who aren't able to make it out there this year, and I'm certainly looking forward to seeing many of you in the dust! Woohooo!
Collapse first and avoid the rush

burner von braun
Burning Since: 2010

Postby burner von braun » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:25 am

..mornin'.. :coffee:

Woohoo, at least now I'm on the same side of the Mississippi as Black Rock City..

And yep, see ya soon yggy, and hopefully you too Joeln!

Glad you're getting to leave the zoo behind for a couple weeks mgb! I may again take the Loneliest Highway on my return trip, as per your great advice some time back. A pleasant drive with a couple of hairpin turns thrown in for good measure. Going out I'm taking a more northerly 'eclipse oriented' path though; fingers crossed for everyone on that.

Well, time to start her on up, and hit the road again..

mgb327

Postby mgb327 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:41 am

Hey BVB! I love that route 50, and if your brakes aren't smoking at the bottom, yer doin' it wrong. I will be driving that route again this year, but will take 80 back. One trip through the Rockies going out is enough. I leave Monday morning, can't wait to leave this "zoo" behind for a while. Qwazy shit here, I tell 'ya!
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.

lucky420
Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby lucky420 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:52 am

3 more sleeps and I hit the dustttttt

:coffee:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

ygmir

Postby ygmir » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:17 pm

out there this morning, now back.......heading back out early tomorrow!! see everyone soon!!
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Postby Ratty » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:28 pm

Lucky. Me too. 3 more sleeps. Hope I get em.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby trilobyte » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:23 pm

Crazy times indeed... shots all round (of your beverage of choice, of course)...

Woohoo to all those embarking, I've finished the last of the shopping and errands, tomorrow morning I pick up the trailer and start loading out.

Is it wrong to get a real sense of satisfaction in catching and blocking a concierge operator?

cranberries
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Hibernaculum

Postby cranberries » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:23 pm

trilobyte wrote:Is it wrong to get a real sense of satisfaction in catching and blocking a concierge operator?

NOPE. Nicely done, sir :)

Return to “Open Discussion”