Fyre Festival: I cannot stop laughing.

All things outside of Burning Man.
kaylabird87
Burning Since: 2019
Camp Name: Hookers and Makers in Barbie Death Camp

Fyre Festival: I cannot stop laughing.

Post by kaylabird87 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:45 am

In an epoch of "festivals," please allow me to share the outcome of Fyre Festival, all of the lovely Influencers stuck without constructed tents, and sad cheese sandwiches.

http://www.thefashionlaw.com/home/fyre- ... -scam-hoax

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me...
"Some (women) just want to watch the world burn."

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Re: I cannot stop laughing.

Post by some seeing eye » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:33 am

Gypsy Flower Power was a(n) (in)famous budget PnP camp in 2014 which was a fraud and left a mess. Caravancicle also 2014 was an expensive PnP concierge camp which struggled to meet its hype and launched SherpagateTM.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Chowski
Burning Since: 2009

Post by Chowski » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:10 am

This is the best thing that has ever happened since the great White Privilege Ocean meltdown of 2016. Useless EDM tourists, entitled, expecting, helpless. God I love it, and hope much, much more of the same happens at burning man until BMORG finally puts a stop to it - all of it - the airport, the default world celebrities, the for-profit plug-n-plays, and the useless tourists they draw who take tickets from potentially participating Burners. Poor, poor tourists.

TT120
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Post by TT120 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:37 am

^ This! So much this

Having a shit ton of money does NOT equal self reliance.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley
We welcome the stranger, but that doesn't mean we have to like them, nor they us, and that's alright. - AntiM

W6BJD

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:43 am

Chowski, Have you ever been to the airport? Have you met the crowd coming off the planes? Maybe you should reserve judgement.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:58 am

Frida Be You & Me

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:52 am

kaylabird87 wrote:In an epoch of "festivals," please allow me to share the outcome of Fyre Festival, all of the lovely Influencers stuck without constructed tents, and sad cheese sandwiches.

http://www.thefashionlaw.com/home/fyre- ... -scam-hoax

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me...
I heard this late last night and laughed my ass off. There is not enough respect for how hard it is to build an event! . . . And those FEMA shelters don't look bad at all.

Shortly after, however, I heard that Twitter and Reddit were running wild with rumors about folks coming to literal, physical harm out there (none of it yet substantiated, apparently).

I hope no one got injured out there. That would be ghastly, and really interfere with the schadengiggles.
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Chowski
Burning Since: 2009

Post by Chowski » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:14 pm

What's insane is the $250,000 price tag. I mean, even the most outrageous figures for Plug and Play Commodification Camps like Caravansicle and White Ocean don't have fees that high. Fortunately for the Instagram/EDM/Kardashian/Oakenfold/Ibiza set, the Burners who profit from Burning Man are at least competent and experienced building Luxury (tm) Commodification camps, and have a willing and capable partner in BMORG to ensure easy access by air (and ground transportation once they arrive at the VIP airport entrance) so their customers needn't be bothered with any sort of Radical Self Reliance on their way to that perfect Instagram shot doing yoga in feathers in front of the temple.

kaylabird87

Post by kaylabird87 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:45 pm

The reports coming out of the event still are uproariously funny...
"We have been locked indoors with no air NO FOOD and NO water #fyrefestival #fyrefest fyrefraud"
Baby, you're tweeting.
There is air.
There is data.

Heaven forbid anyone gets hurt...but it is refreshing from the plebeian perspective to watch.
...and laugh.

HARD.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kaylabird87

Post by kaylabird87 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:54 pm

Chowski wrote: (...) on their way to that perfect Instagram shot doing yoga in feathers in front of the temple.
I have a plan to disrupt these as performance art.

Across the boards, I've been reading words from the Bros/EDM circuit plans as they try to "shame" fat people out of BRC so that they aren't in these photos. The obvious way to address this is to ensure fat people are in every photo.

Stay tuned. Visualize hippo ballerinas in Fantasia.
It may get me beat up, but we shall see...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Papa Bear
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Astral Headwash. Not a Placer

Post by Papa Bear » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:15 pm

kaylabird87 wrote:Across the boards, I've been reading words from the Bros/EDM circuit plans as they try to "shame" fat people out of BRC so that they aren't in these photos. The obvious way to address this is to ensure fat people are in every photo.

Seriously? Keep us posted - for this, you just might get me to wear a tutu.

kaylabird87

Post by kaylabird87 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:18 pm

Deathly serious. :D

I'll put you on the list...if a healthy number come together, Vulture Chow mentioned the idea of a flashmob briefly...
Papa Bear wrote:
kaylabird87 wrote:Across the boards, I've been reading words from the Bros/EDM circuit plans as they try to "shame" fat people out of BRC so that they aren't in these photos. The obvious way to address this is to ensure fat people are in every photo.

Seriously? Keep us posted - for this, you just might get me to wear a tutu.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:42 pm

I dunno, I'm kind of disappointed that this festival wasn't a success. I would just love it if these alternative festivals like Fyre or Further Future or other ones would draw the music festival goers so that they could get their fix of desert EDM festival trips, rather than thinking that Burning Man has anything to offer them for more effort.

Such festivals should be costly enough that an additional trip to Burning Man just isn't worth it, and yet convenient enough that one would not opt for a trip to Burning Man either. Black Rock City should be a pain to visit and require substantial investment. Why would you even attend unless you wanted something other than sound camps or hanging out in a PnP camp?

Hell, maybe even BMOrg should create a second, more EDM-festival oriented event just to draw off crowds. Burning Man without the suck, where people can parade themselves around in glitz and glamour and selfies. We won't even thumb our noses at y'all for attending, because you're doing us a service!
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

kaylabird87

Post by kaylabird87 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:50 pm

I understand your POV here (truly I do). The logic is sound...

However, when you are talking about this type of money, there is very little "one and done" in their worlds.
The rule of thumb is "more is more."

Perhaps they need a summer-long festival with an outrageous price tag. The way to leech the bad blood out would be to hold the mentioned "BM without the suck" during the same time as traditional BM, so that they are driven there; moths to a flame.

BM and BM-lite

:cry:
BBadger wrote:I dunno, I'm kind of disappointed that this festival wasn't a success. I would just love it if these alternative festivals like Fyre or Further Future or other ones would draw the music festival goers so that they could get their fix of desert EDM festival trips, rather than thinking that Burning Man has anything to offer them for more effort.

Such festivals should be costly enough that an additional trip to Burning Man just isn't worth it, and yet convenient enough that one would not opt for a trip to Burning Man either. Black Rock City should be a pain to visit and require substantial investment. Why would you even attend unless you wanted something other than sound camps or hanging out in a PnP camp?

Hell, maybe even BMOrg should create a second, more EDM-festival oriented event just to draw off crowds. Burning Man without the suck, where people can parade themselves around in glitz and glamour and selfies. We won't even thumb our noses at y'all for attending, because you're doing us a service!

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:32 pm

I'm not really that worried about the extremely well off attending BM, those that can afford to go to every music festival held over the summer. They've always been around and no amount of festivals or alternative festivals will satiate them. Such people also have enough time off to bother.

What I'm more concerned about are the "middle class" attendees, the ones for whom a trip to BM is a cool summer festival or a "thing to do" to dress up and hang out with friends listening to music. They only have so much time off during the year and decide that BM will be the festival they try to attend for music and art.

There's nothing wrong with that in my mind, but I'd rather have specific festivals to cater to that type of need. Burning Man has a lot of cool shit that appeals to many, but I feel that a sizeable portion of people aren't really interested in the majority of what BM has to offer. They could and would be better served with festivals that cater more specifically to music, a bunch of mutant vehicles, some art, and some burning sculptures can get their fill. For many, that is Burning Man even if there's so much more. Further Future seems to fill that niche in some ways and I'm quite happy to have that festival promoted as an alternative to attending BM.

What I really want is to dilute the appeal of BM for those not heavily invested in it. Why go to BM for EDM if the stages are smaller and more ramshackle, the environment tortuous, and the means to attend a heavy resource drain. One could go to a more accessible event with larger stages, a cleaner and easier camping experience, and easier access.

I'd actually like to have these "alternative" festivals become the mainstream. To be more than Burning Man to draw off even more crowds. Burning Man sucks, don't go. Smaller, harder, dumber. Dirty people and nutjobs who won't shut up about it. "Yeah, it's overhyped." "It's pretty, but this other festival has better music and is a lot easier to attend." "Who would bother driving all the way out there when you could go to other festivals?"

"Burning man sucks. Don't go."

Leave BM to those who don't mind piling dusty and wrecked stuff to drive to the middle of nowhere for a camping trip in the desert. Leave it to the crazy ones. Sure it'll be awesome to attend both BM and one of those music-oriented festival, but for many the time investment and prepping for that in addition to the music festival may not be possible or worth the effort.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

kaylabird87

Post by kaylabird87 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:52 pm

I'm glad the forum logged me out, subsequently erasing my original reply to this.
In short...I'd caution about spinning something beautiful into something ugly.
Bad juju.
Real bad.

You're making your own home be thy gallows, at the point.

Edit: but who am I to know. The spin could work. Anything is possible.
BBadger wrote:
I'd actually like to have these "alternative" festivals become the mainstream. To be more than Burning Man to draw off even more crowds. Burning Man sucks, don't go. Smaller, harder, dumber. Dirty people and nutjobs who won't shut up about it. "Yeah, it's overhyped." "It's pretty, but this other festival has better music and is a lot easier to attend." "Who would bother driving all the way out there when you could go to other festivals?"

Leave BM to those who don't mind piling dusty and wrecked stuff to drive to the middle of nowhere for a camping trip in the desert. Leave it to the crazy ones. Sure it'll be awesome to attend both BM and one of those music-oriented festival, but for many the time investment and prepping for that in addition to the music festival may not be possible or worth the effort.

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:20 pm

You should elaborate on what you mean.

kaylabird87

Post by kaylabird87 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:30 pm

Probably not worth it, to be honest. Am sure it's all been said before.

Plus, I have Hippo Ballerina outfits to go work on.

BBadger wrote:You should elaborate on what you mean.

Papa Bear
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Astral Headwash. Not a Placer

Post by Papa Bear » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:52 pm

BBadger wrote:Hell, maybe even BMOrg should create a second, more EDM-festival oriented event just to draw off crowds.
I think this would only succeed if it was scheduled to run on exactly the same days as the burn. Otherwise, there would be plenty of folks would who just find a way to attend both.

I also don't know how hard it would be to get the big-name sound camps there - I'd imagine that there are plenty of people running those camps who *do* get the spirit of the burn and wouldn't be interested in yet another EDM festival, even if a portion of the crowd that follows them doesn't know the difference.

XPTom
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Shipwreck Tiki Lounge

Post by XPTom » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:01 pm

Savannah wrote: . . . And those FEMA shelters don't look bad at all. ......
Wouldn't it be nice if some nearly new white tents wound up on Ebay in time for BM?? Slim chance Frye part deux will happen and burners could put them to good use.
How many old burners does it take to change a light bulb? Just one to change the bulb..... and five more to reminisce how good the old bulb was....

flexibility is the key to success....... and poor planning is the key to flexibility

kaylabird87

Post by kaylabird87 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:39 pm

Already trying to replicate one to cover my little car.
#femachic
XPTom wrote:
Savannah wrote: . . . And those FEMA shelters don't look bad at all. ......
Wouldn't it be nice if some nearly new white tents wound up on Ebay in time for BM?? Slim chance Frye part deux will happen and burners could put them to good use.

Aurelia
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: the Love Camp

Post by Aurelia » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:09 am

:mrgreen:
Be sure to do it well sparkle pony

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:08 pm

kaylabird87 wrote:Already trying to replicate one to cover my little car.
#femachic
This might be worth it if you're sleeping in it (protecting you) but it won't protect your car. :) Or, I realize you may be kidding.

I love the Fantasia hippos idea! . . . Although the words of the forum Bros sound pretty silly in light of how the city really operates . . . it's really hard to imagine anyone having the nerve to herd ANY people out of photos with anything but a kind word, if at all. People might move for wedding photos, maybe. That's it. There's all body types out there, and I can't say I've ever asked anyone to get out of my photo or seen it happen. People just wait. OR take photos at 6am, where it's easy to have a clear shot.
BBadger wrote:What I really want is to dilute the appeal of BM for those not heavily invested in it. Why go to BM for EDM if the stages are smaller and more ramshackle, the environment tortuous, and the means to attend a heavy resource drain. One could go to a more accessible event with larger stages, a cleaner and easier camping experience, and easier access.

This is why I stop short of wishing for a couple of good all-day dust storms--but love it when it happens. I will never forget the answering dip in population in 2009!

So yeah, I like this idea (I would LOVE a "competing" festival with plush accommodations for people who don't really want difficulty). I also think that a more festival-friendly culture would be lovely and benefit the whole nation, in terms of art appreciation and exploring personal freedoms. Expertise will build over time, and can only get better with practice. (When I was a kid, only cans were recycled. Now, it seems like everything is.)
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

kaylabird87

Stickers:

Post by kaylabird87 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:47 pm

Maybe stickers.
Maybe shirts.
Maybe a giant decal for my back window.
Gift planning:
IMG_1851.PNG
IMG_1848.PNG
IMG_1847.PNG

Lonesomebri
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:00 pm

I'm hoping that the BMorg signs on Ja Rule to help run the Burn.
Camp THREAT: Dominating the porta potties 3 years running.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:09 pm

2015: "Cold, Windy, Dusty Nasty Suck."

2017: "hold my beer."
Frida Be You & Me

Joeln
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: On our own

Re: Stickers:

Post by Joeln » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:00 pm

Kayla, you are just fitting right in here!
Collapse first and avoid the rush

kaylabird87

Re: Stickers:

Post by kaylabird87 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:19 pm

IMG_1873.JPG
I'm submitting three designs to the sticker Gods at BMORG—one stupid Ja Rule version, one of these, and a hand-drawn (that I'm playing close to the chest).

Outta these four, which one?

kaylabird87

Post by kaylabird87 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:38 pm

Lonesomebri wrote:I'm hoping that the BMorg signs on Ja Rule to help run the Burn.
IMG_1851.PNG

kaylabird87

Post by kaylabird87 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:41 pm

Aurelia wrote::mrgreen:
Be sure to do it well sparkle pony
No Sparkle here, baby cakes.
Am signed up for cornbread, olives, and Artzing.

:mrgreen:

Return to “Open Discussion”