Vegan Cafe

All things outside of Burning Man.
Donita

Vegan Cafe

Post by Donita » Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:19 am

Image Hi!! Welcome to the Vegan/Vegetarian Cuisine Cafe!!

Pull up a chair. Get comfy. Here -- would you like a menu? We have lots of yummy scrumptious specials today. Breakfast will be up in a moment. One of the new chefs was wanting to fry up some fresh vegan this morning, but I had to have a little talk to him about that. How did you become a vegan/vegetarian? How long have you been one? What do you see as the health benefits? Any other benefits? Have any recipes to share? Discuss.

And once again, welcome!!

gigglesnort

Post by gigglesnort » Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:32 am

I wouldn't mind some fresh fried vegan for breakfast, but first I gotta know, was the vegan free-range or factory-farmed?

Rob the Wop

Post by Rob the Wop » Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:39 am

Got any bacon?
[b]The other, other white meat.[/b]

Donita

Post by Donita » Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:52 am

Oh, you two are so funny. :P Here's the breakfast special....enjoy!!

Apple Pecan Pancakes
1 1/2 cups soy milk
1/2 cup soft silken tofu
1/3 cup solid vegetable shortening
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 medium apples, peeled, cored, and quartered
1/4 cup pecans, coarsely crushed
Vegetable oil, for frying
Nondairy margarine, as a condiment
Maple syrup, as a condiment

Put the soy milk, tofu, vegetable shortening, flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and apples into a food processor and pulse until the ingredients are blended and the apples are finely chopped. Fold in the pecans. Heat a griddle or large frying pan coated with a thin layer of vegetable oil over medium heat. Pour 1/4 cup of the batter onto the hot griddle. Cook until bubbles appear then flip the pancake and cook it until it is lightly browned. Serve immediately with nondairy margarine and maple syrup. Makes 8 to 10 pancakes.

RebA!

Post by RebA! » Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:05 am

Donita wrote: Maple syrup, as a condiment
I swear I heard that tree scream when it was tapped to make the syrup. Those poor heartless bastards.. poking holes in trees.. What did the trees ever dooooo to themmmmmmm.

Ok i'll stop.. cause.. woo.. you lost me at soy milk and tofu. *gaggy noises*
"My husband and I are either going to buy a dog or have a child. We can't decide whether to ruin our carpets or ruin our lives."
--Rita Rudner

Donita

Post by Donita » Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:42 am

RebA! wrote: I swear I heard that tree scream when it was tapped to make the syrup. Those poor heartless bastards.. poking holes in trees.. What did the trees ever dooooo to themmmmmmm.
Trees do scream. And don't give me that look. I use to live in Timber, Oregon about 10 years ago out in the boonies between Forest Grove and Astoria. Two weeks after I moved into my cute little home with all these beautiful trees around, the timber company came and clearcut the forest. I came home to stumps. It was brutal and ugly. There was the most intense and eerie sadness in all the silence, like screaming babies. Stupidly, I went to one stump and laid my arms and face on it (like I was hugging it), myself crying like a baby. That was a bad mistake. I had tree sap all over my face. It was a mess trying to get that crap off.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:52 am

Heh, try being a vegan, or even a vegetarian, when you're allergic to tomatoes and potatoes and you can't have soy! feh! Then again, I'm not supposed to eat red meat either. Good thing everything tastes like chicken anyway.

mumble, mumble, mumble
going away now.

Simply Joel

stop the senseless soy slaughter

Post by Simply Joel » Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:04 am

take a stand.

save the soy.

soy have feelings too.

adopt a soy and end the senseless slaughter of soy.

soy have feelings too!

cowboyangel

Post by cowboyangel » Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:07 am

soy, are you trying to be funny? Just don't piss on anything please.
"We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believe is false."- William Casey, CIA Director 1981

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:19 pm

Chocolate covered bacon?

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:30 pm

Chocolate covered bacon?
There is something that is just so... lusciously wrong with that idea.

Donita

Post by Donita » Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:36 pm

I'm gonna try that the next time I'm PMS-ing.

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:33 pm

It is amazingly good. Someone brought it to the dioxine cocktail party one year, one tiny sample and all my doubts and sketicism vanished.

Maybe that's why I joined a cult shorty thereafter.

Rob the Wop

Post by Rob the Wop » Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:27 pm

AntiM wrote:It is amazingly good. Someone brought it to the dioxine cocktail party one year, one tiny sample and all my doubts and sketicism vanished.

Maybe that's why I joined a cult shorty thereafter.
Actually, that doesn't sound too bad at all. I got the cooking gene from my Italian grandma and my Swedish grandma (both sides). They never used recipes as it just didn't make sense- I can generally 'taste' things in my head and pretty much figure out if they work. If you made sure to use thicker bacon and made it crispy- you could then pat it down and cover it with a dark Belgium style chocolate. The semi-sweetness should interact with the saltiness of the bacon. Picture the interaction of maple and bacon, they even out.

I'm thinking I'll have to try it. I know downtown in Portland, there is a place that specializes in bacon shakes. They put bacon in a milkshake and I've heard tell it is pretty good. I havne't made it down there yet, but I plan to at some point.

regynalonglank

Post by regynalonglank » Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:36 pm

i used to make these really great whole grain pancakes (heh, i started to say pain cakes!) and i put sunflower seeds and wheat germ, and vanilla in it, and something else too...now what was it....anyways they were really good...lots of syrup. and the real syrup too, not that wierd thick stuff with the lady that's a bottle or something. i'm talking the tree screamin kind. the good stuff.
\v/

/ \

just listen to the drum

helitack
Burning Since: 2004

Post by helitack » Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:54 pm

I personally like a well marbled ribeye steak, medium rare, with my free range organic brown eggs.
Actively helping President Trump build the wall

Winning hearts and minds in lovely TexMexistan...

Rob the Wop

Post by Rob the Wop » Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:16 pm

I'm partial to anything with large, sad eyes that screams pitifully when poked with a sharp fork. The trick is to bludegeon it to death before you start feeling guilty enough to start petting it.

So what's for lunch? Raver again
?

Rian Jackson

Post by Rian Jackson » Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:55 am

Who said TOFU, you horrid piece of swine??

NO ONE MAY MENTION TOFU UNTIL MY INTESTINES STOP HURTING FROM THIS WEEKEND'S FOOD POISONING!!

i'd like the sweats to go away, too....
surlier than thou

robotland

Post by robotland » Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:13 am

It's far enough to drive to BRC- Now I have to fly through countless lightyears of uncharted space just to have breakfast?

It's not as if they ate Terran food on Vega, you know.
Howdy From Kalamazoo

Ranger Genius

Post by Ranger Genius » Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:30 am

Good god, Robo, you should really get some medication or something. Keep making posts like that and you'll be in danger of having Harlan Ellison come over personally to kneecap you.
“We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.”

Rob the Wop

Post by Rob the Wop » Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:42 am

Ranger Genius wrote:Good god, Robo, you should really get some medication or something. Keep making posts like that and you'll be in danger of having Harlan Ellison come over personally to kneecap you.
Does Harlan have big, sad eyes? Does he scream pitifully when poked with a fork?

Meet the new meat, same amount of calories as the old meat- but with half the literary aspirations!

Donita

Post by Donita » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:08 pm

Kids! Don't try this at home! Something I will never eat again....Tofu Hot Wings.
It was an experiment that was just wrong to start with last night. What was I thinking??!!!
It looked good on the box, but tasted like a sponge dunked in hot sauce. Yuck. Ptt ptt ptt.

BTW: You guys are absolutely cracking up. :lol:

RebA!

Post by RebA! » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:12 pm

Speaking of tofu.
Lets just start off with the fact I dont like it. One night hubby and I were at our local favorite thai place and tofu wound its way into my dish (i didnt order it that way)

So I picked all the tofu chunks out of my dinner and ate it as normal. At the end of the meal he says to me. Eat those 3 pieces of tofu (he ate the rest of em) and you can have anything you want.

I was dared to eat it. I got em down ..gosh it was tough (i have severe food texture issues) I was gagging em down every one of em. But i did it. He said it was worth it. And i'm getting a massage AND a facial because of it.

And he says to me. I never ever have to try it again.
"My husband and I are either going to buy a dog or have a child. We can't decide whether to ruin our carpets or ruin our lives."
--Rita Rudner

Badger

Post by Badger » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:15 pm

Tofu? Why/how could anyone eat something that has the consistency of baby poo?
Desert dogs drink deep.

Zulegoona

Post by Zulegoona » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:15 pm

So I'm a confirmed omnivore, But I have to ask does the pressed tofu have a less,... less,... tofu consistency, than the regular firm stuff?

Rian Jackson

Post by Rian Jackson » Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:28 am

aaaaaaaaaah!

i'm still not ready to hear that word yet! and i'm a confessed t-fu eater!
surlier than thou

robotland

Post by robotland » Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:51 am

As a prep cook in a healthfood restaurant (SEVA', Ann Arbor, Michigan) I used to look forward to cubing the tofu....I liked how you could slice it many times through and then tap it, and watch it fall into separate little cubes. I never had a problem with 'fu until working in oncology- 'Fu and bolus have the same consistancy.

Good god, Robo, you should really get some medication or something. Keep making posts like that and you'll be in danger of having Harlan Ellison come over personally to kneecap you.

Let him come- I'll twist his other glass teat until he WISHES he had a mouth to scream with.
Howdy From Kalamazoo

gigglesnort

Post by gigglesnort » Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:29 am

I've found that if I buy the firm type of tofu then press it between several cloths with a bunch of plates on top overnight in the fridge, that it tends to have a more palatable consistency. I like it alright marinated in braggs then stirred last into halved brussels sprouts stir fried with garlic and peanut oil. YUM!

Rian Jackson

Post by Rian Jackson » Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:14 am

seems like i can hang this right... here....

surlier than thou

blyslv

Post by blyslv » Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:49 am

We're working our way through a fifth share of a vegetarian cow that we named Ghandi. Does that count?

According to ayurvedic precepts, tofu, along with all fermented foods should be avoided.

That's why I don't eat ayurvedic.

<hic>
Fight for the fifth freedom!

Return to “Open Discussion”