Happy Mardi Gras

All things outside of Burning Man.
robotland

Happy Mardi Gras

Post by robotland » Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:37 am

I made two King Cakes and plan to play Dirty Dozen Brass Band all day....Anyone else throwin' down for Fat Tuesday?
Howdy From Kalamazoo

robotland

Post by robotland » Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:39 pm

I guess everyone gave this thread up for Lent.
Howdy From Kalamazoo

regynalonglank

Post by regynalonglank » Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:20 pm

the hell you say >:) woo hoo!
\v/

/ \

just listen to the drum

Donita

Post by Donita » Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:56 pm

Okay, what's a King Cake and how do you make one?

Magikal

Post by Magikal » Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:25 am

I did stop by the bar last night to bend the elbow with some friends. Even had an erzatz Hurricane! (not quite as good as a real one) They did have a Mardi Gras thingie here Insane Diego, but you had to pay to get in, it was downtown (read: no parking), and hey, it's Tuesday. Who the heck parties on Tuesday except committed drunks? And I'm only a casual drunk!
"All the great villainies of history have been perpetrated by sober men, and chiefly by teetotalers"

H.L.Mencken

kampkalamazoo

King Cake

Post by kampkalamazoo » Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:34 pm

Donita wrote:Okay, what's a King Cake and how do you make one?
It's a ring-shaped, breadlike or coffeecake-like cake with a little plastic baby hidden somewhere within...(sometimes a coin, instead.) The person that gets the baby has to have the next mardi Gras party, or at least make the next cake. They're decorated with gold, green and purple sugar- The colors of Rex (King of Mardi Gras) and of Mardi Gras itself.
I think they're technically supposed to be made and served for Candlemas, which is around January 6 or so, but they're frequently served on Fat Tuesday or otherwise during Mardi Gras itself. Polish Catholics and bakery fans know Fat Tuesday to be "Poonchkey" day as well- They're like jelly or custard-filled doughnuts.
Robotland's Alter Ego

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Re: King Cake

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:39 pm

kampkalamazoo wrote:
Donita wrote:Okay, what's a King Cake and how do you make one?
It's a ring-shaped, breadlike or coffeecake-like cake with a little plastic baby hidden somewhere within...(sometimes a coin, instead.) The person that gets the baby has to have the next mardi Gras party, or at least make the next cake. They're decorated with gold, green and purple sugar- The colors of Rex (King of Mardi Gras) and of Mardi Gras itself.
I think they're technically supposed to be made and served for Candlemas, which is around January 6 or so, but they're frequently served on Fat Tuesday or otherwise during Mardi Gras itself. Polish Catholics and bakery fans know Fat Tuesday to be "Poonchkey" day as well- They're like jelly or custard-filled doughnuts.
My mother would make something simelier for 12tn Night or Epiphany--the 6th of January or the days when the magi finally made it to the stable. (a quick google search for candlemas got me Feb 2 as the date>) She used a bean. It was also crappy tasting cake.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:45 pm

That's so bizarre, Feb 2nd in Japan is a folk festival; the kids go around the neighborhood and throw beans in the houses to drive out any demons for the coming new year. Can't remember what it was called, I do remember they'd come around to our place too. You were supposed to give them treats.

(just my rambling mind connecting feb 2 and beans ... going back to sleep now)

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:47 pm

That's alright AntiM. I was googling catholic calenders and got reminded of the Feast of the Circumcision and the Assumption of the Virgin. Those always crack me up in the most irreverent way.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Rage

Ok, so you didn't make Mardi Gras this year...

Post by Rage » Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:20 pm

Here is an alternative...

Http://neworleansgetaway.tribe.net
"I was dreamin' when I wrote this
Forgive me if it goes astray..." - Prince

Return to “Open Discussion”