THE GATES - Central Park, NY

All things outside of Burning Man.
stickysunset

THE GATES - Central Park, NY

Post by stickysunset » Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:41 pm

these artists and their art seem very burner-like. i remember seeing Running Fence in '76...mesmerizing...

http://christojeanneclaude.net/tg.html
izzit august yet?

bullD

Post by bullD » Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:01 pm

nice!

one of my professors is flew out there last night to see it. She helped with the "Running Fence" so she was like a kid when talking about it.

samtzu

Post by samtzu » Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:09 pm

Yes, it is art, and of a Burning Man style... but I'm willing to bet that without major security, a whole shitload of the gates are going to wind up in somebody's loft somewhere... IMHO
The revolutionary does not grow up because he cannot grow, while the creative individual cannot grow up because he keeps growing ~~ Eric Hoffer

bullD

Post by bullD » Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:13 pm

hmmm, kinda like people stealing the street signs on the playa...

samtzu

Post by samtzu » Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:19 pm

Exactly! Although, I never did...

no... really....
The revolutionary does not grow up because he cannot grow, while the creative individual cannot grow up because he keeps growing ~~ Eric Hoffer

5x5

Post by 5x5 » Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:09 am

glad to see someone posted about this! i'm heading over there next weekend.

i don't think they will be stolen, due to the size, and they will be guarded. and they are recycling all materials afterwards, will not sell any of it.

of course grafitti is still a danger.....

kampkalamazoo

Post by kampkalamazoo » Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:33 pm

Yep, that Christo shore 'nuff's one Master Wrapper. (*rim shot*)
Robotland's Alter Ego

stickysunset

Post by stickysunset » Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:45 am

hey 5, or anybody who gets to see The Gates....please give me an on-the-scene description. i'm already seeing some pics that are beyond belief!
izzit august yet?

Magikal

Post by Magikal » Sun Feb 13, 2005 7:14 am

But they're all the same color! It's a nice color, to be sure, but they're all the same!

Guess I'm just not an artist or something... :(
"All the great villainies of history have been perpetrated by sober men, and chiefly by teetotalers"

H.L.Mencken

RebA!

Post by RebA! » Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:31 am

I have seen some pics that showed other shades of the same color.
It still looks really cool.

they are discussing this on another board i'm on. And on girl is like
"i dont get it"
"My husband and I are either going to buy a dog or have a child. We can't decide whether to ruin our carpets or ruin our lives."
--Rita Rudner

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:49 am

Not quite Christo but the following are pics of a piece I did a few years back up at the Black Rock. Looking towards Gerlach, the gully is actually leads down to the main Lake Lahanton playa from a series of much smaller hanging playas right next to the large andersit outcrop from which the desert got its name. I took about 50 yards of blue rayon material and lined the gully to draw attention to the fact that water was everywhere at one time.

and

and

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:50 am

finally

bullD

Post by bullD » Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:54 am

damn woman! that's the fucking shit! the possibilities are endless...

Nice Work!

stickysunset

Post by stickysunset » Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:50 am

iso...you're brilliant! that's way cool and i'm glad i get to see it here. did you title it?

i can't believe i'm toying w/ the idea to fly to ny to see The Gates next weekend. i'm so not made of money, but the once in a lifetime thing always gets me...
izzit august yet?

buckethead alien
Burning Since: 1997

Post by buckethead alien » Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:44 pm

stickysunset wrote:iso...you're brilliant! that's way cool and i'm glad i get to see it here. did you title it?

i can't believe i'm toying w/ the idea to fly to ny to see The Gates next weekend. i'm so not made of money, but the once in a lifetime thing always gets me...
I know that at least a couple of others in the extended Burning Man family are making the trip from the Bay Area next weekend. Makes sense to me: travel great distances to look at mind-messing art...

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Sun Feb 13, 2005 3:45 pm

Here's on to try out. The artist is a cowboy in Nevada putting together what can only be considered 'ambitous.' The largest land/earth art piece in North america. Problem is you ain't welcome on the land - for now. A palne flyover might be intersting though.

Check it out: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/06/magaz ... 6f&ei=5070

5x5

Post by 5x5 » Sun Feb 13, 2005 7:26 pm

a friend in brooklyn went this weekend - says it was great, but not very "meditative" because of the crowds of people.

she said:
"Visually it was stunning - the different rhythms the gates made depending how wide the paths were and where they could place the gates. Part of the agreement of them being able to install the gates was that no tree would be harmed, so the gates would be placed a certain distance away from each other for many gates, but then you would have a large break where tree branches crossed the paths. And it was quite amazing to see the difference a 5-7 foot wide gate on a small path was to a 15-20 foot gate on a wide path. They were all the same height so you really experienced the change in scale."

i'm heading there either saturday or sunday.

stickysunset

Post by stickysunset » Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:05 am

it's a giant splurge of time and money...but....i'm flying to ny this friday night, returning monday!
it's the strangest thing...these gates are calling me...
izzit august yet?

5x5

Post by 5x5 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:35 am

stickysunset - and anyone else planning a trip - make sure you book a hotel before you get here!! apparently the gates are a HUGE draw, local restaurants are running out of food :lol: (they should learn and have enough next weekend!) and hotels are packed.

i live in NJ but visit the city fairly often - if anyone wants advice feel free to holler or PM. i haven't stayed in any hotels in NYC, but if you are looking for cheaper, try brooklyn NY or hoboken NJ, easy to get in and out on subways. i can help more with sights and stuff too.

and if anyone wants to meet up i'll be going in this weekend as well! (not sure which day, will wait for weather forecast.)

stickysunset

Post by stickysunset » Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:19 pm

I"M GOING TO FLY ACROSS COUNTRY TO SEE IT!! YEP...I'M SHOUTING CUZ I'M SO DAMN EXCITED!!

i have a flight into jfk friday nite, a room, a map...i'm set!!
hey 5...let's meet up if possible.
any other burners going?

WAAAHOOOOO!!!

izzit august yet?

stickysunset

Post by stickysunset » Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:44 pm

whilst in new york city and 1n just 54 hours i saw/did:

*central park and the gates...i spent a total of 8 hours on 4 different visits!
walked the entire park (50 blocks) and drank/breathed in that fantastic saffron.
*3 broadway shows
*ground zero
*chinatown
*met. museum of art
*rockerfella center and the today show (did you see me!)
*rode horse carriage thru park 2 times, once at night
*rode pedicab
*got kicked out of a restaurant bar at midnight because the sat. night live cast was coming in to private party w/ hilly swank
*caught a glimpse of cristo in his car
*left in a snowstorm

(hey 5x5...just now got your msg...as you can see i had no spare time! and yeah, i'm from nor cal)

izzit august yet?

5x5

Post by 5x5 » Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:45 am

damn that's impressive! you've done more than me and i live near the city! ;) ok you didn't do MORE than me... definitely more than i ever do in one month!

i went on sunday with two friends - we walked and talked and walked and talked and.... we managed to get the last 3 pieces of the fabric sample for the gates that one volunteer had. we walked for about an hour or so i guess, took photos. if it had been warmer i would have loved to sit and watch and listen! but it was chilly and by the end of our walk we were cold.

i'll post a photo when i download them - probably be this weekend.

5x5

Post by 5x5 » Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:28 am

photos are up:

http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=y0hsq9m.lj ... &y=-gdwxb7

(you don't need to sign in. or, if you do, it's a free account.)

Return to “Open Discussion”