The 2017 Bah—Humbug! Thread, where we deal with Depression and Stuff

All things outside of Burning Man.
Elliot
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service

The 2017 Bah—Humbug! Thread, where we deal with Depression and Stuff

Postby Elliot » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:51 pm

:evil:
Seasonal Affective Disorder is real. S.A.D., yes.
Less daylight.
Our friends gathering with their families – instead of with us.
Artificial “cheer” everywhere – effin’ X-mas songs in every store.
We are “expected” to spend a fortune on presents – at the same time as the heating bill skyrockets.

Modern society is bad enough the rest of the year. Our culture has run amok for a couple hundred years and piled on complexities that our brains have not had any chance to evolve to deal with.

We have more and more electronic connections – and less and less human connection.

So… Depression and Anxiety are major public health disasters. And most cases go undiagnosed. And certainly untreated – ask me how I know.

Therefore… LET’S PARTY!

Yup, this is the Annual ePlaya Bah-humbug Thread.

ZERO SNARK, PLEASE.

As you read this, an ePlaya’n may very well be measuring a rope, just in case the loneliness becomes unbearable in a few more weeks.
“Ask me how I know.”

Here is our Secret Special Sauce: Come January, this thread is erased. Deleted. Shredded. Gone. For good. Never to appear on any screen ever again.
And yes… I have dirty pictures of Moderator Sham to make sure this deleting gets done.

So spill your guts, if you feel the need. Whatever you say now… turns to so much Dust in January. And we wouldn’t want to run out of Dust, now would we!

And of course… please suggest whatever you can, to help us all thru the X-mas Blues.

I will start: Go out to the street in front of your home with a moop bag and demoopify your frontage.
I live in a town populated by slobs who throw massive quantities of fast-food scrap out the car-window, so I do this almost every day, and it really gives me a boost to see MY street clean again!
:D
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service, Healing Arts, Body Paint & Piano Bar
Cell-Phone-Free & Non-Smoking in 2018!

-----Bike come unglued? Take it to the nude dude! -----

http://www.elliotsbikes.org

Awesome? Yes, Ma'am, we do awesome.

Popeye
Burning Since: 2013

Re: The 2017 Bah—Humbug! Thread, where we deal with Depression and Stuff

Postby Popeye » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:31 am

It's dark when I get up, it's dark when I get home.
Get out and walk. Every Day. Even if it is only down the block and back.

And smile at people. I get a real kick from the WTF looks from strangers who I smile at and when that girl smiles back, well it makes my day.
nobody wants to live in a world with only one flavor...

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby AntiM » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:07 am

It is unseasonally warm here, but the light is diminishing. I am already beginning to hibernate. All my art supplies are set up, but I am not moved to paint or paste.

Yep, time to turn on the light box, and force myself to move.
http://burningman.org/timeline/

Poke me to experience my gooey insides!

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Postby Captain Goddammit » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:20 am

Anything you post on the ‘net isn’t necessarily gone whether this thread is deleted or not... just in case you’re actually depending on that. There’s such a thing as screenshots.
The best Christmas season news around here is that Nordstrom’s (higher-end department store in Seattle) will NOT decorate for Christmas until after Thanksgiving.
They have signs saying they believe in celebrating one holiday at a time, and that they will continue to close their doors on Thanksgiving.
Nice to see one major player not participating in the excessive Christmas spiral.
When I see Christmas lights going up on houses before even Halloween I want to just rip them down. I wouldn’t actually do that... but I want to.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

AntiM

Postby AntiM » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:33 am

Our Christmas lights for the house go up Thanksgiving weekend, or whichever weekend after Halloween is dry before the snow piles up on the roof. We skipped roof lights at least once when we had a big storm in October.

My neighbors already have a tree up in their picture window. I still have all my fall decor up, I won't do the switch until after December 1st. Whatever day Larry is home to get the bins down out of the shed rafter shelves.

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby ygmir » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:17 am

I"ve posted this before, and also in other spots, but I really feel it needs saying:

Reach out!
If you see or feel a person is depressed, feeling low or considering self harm, reach out to them! do it first.
saying "if you need me, call me", though it feels good to say, is not really any help at all.
Many folks in those circumstances, won't "reach out", or ask for help. Some even deny or don't realize they need help!
Just a call, a message, note, or stopping by to say "hi", cab be the difference. Letting a person know someone will make the effort to contact them, whether to check on them or just a friendly chat, to let them know they matter.
Hiding pain and feelings is real, and people are good at it. well, some are anyway.
Remember, you may be the only person who catches that glimpse of pain and anguish, and you may be the only person with the ability to then touch them. Do it!
Speaking for myself, but probably for others, I'd rather have someone say "I'm fine, all is well, thanks" than saying to myself:
"I wish I had reached out or said something"......
We are who should take care of us. Us, no "someone should do something", but "me, calling you".
Agencies and "workers" are fine, but they are not the personal touch, a friend or acquaintance is, and the feeling is so different.

SO, DO IT!!!
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Token

Postby Token » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:56 am

Elliot, you dog gone tourist! (Sneaky Fight Club reference)

WTF do you mean January?! My SAD is in full swing, peak, from January to end of February.

Keep this up through end of March!

SAD is not an instant thing. It builds up, like slow boiling a frog. Sneaky fucker it is.

“I need this, so get out”! — Tyler “Jack” Durden

BBadger
Burning Since: 2018

Postby BBadger » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:06 am

Take supplemental Vitamin D3 to combat the SAD, especially if you're in the grey wastes of the Northwest during this season.

Right after the burn I start dreading the shortening days. Then there's an extra punch to the gut with the reversal of DST. 5:30 PM and it feels like 10PM. It used to not affect me so much in the past.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to December 21, when at least I know that the days will start growing longer again.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Token

Postby Token » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:12 am

++ on the D3

I monitor mine with my Dr. regularly via blood work.

Important to find your baseline and how much it take to get to a good level.

My level was very low and to get it in a good range I have to take vast amounts of D3. 10K - 15K IU just to reach low mid-range.

The light box definitely helps but the whole DAylight Savings Time fucks it up big time.

tatonka
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Postby tatonka » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:24 am

It gets me and makes me tired and just wanting to lay around, have to yell at myself to get off my ass . Diet has been improving and it doesnt hit me as hard. Depression is depressing.
" Make me strong , not to be superiour to my brothers , to fight my greatest enemy ....... myself . " Chief Dan George .

Sham

Postby Sham » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:50 pm

I seem to be doing a good job avoiding the holiday insanity. We've had unseasonably warm weather, so it's helping to keep the holiday blues in check. Man, I am liking this global warming. 8)

Savannah

Postby Savannah » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:22 pm

BBadger wrote:Take supplemental Vitamin D3 to combat the SAD, especially if you're in the grey wastes of the Northwest during this season.

I haven't taken my vitamin D in days! WTF am I thinking?!? :shock:

I do take 400mg+ of the amino acid Sam-E in the winter for S.A.D. (it should be paired with a B complex) and I recommend it to anyone who's not dealing with bipolar or on an anti-depressant (or has any other contraindications, obviously). It's not the cheapest supplement in the world, so buying it "Buy 1 Get 1 Free" at drugstores--or online--is helpful.

Right after the burn I start dreading the shortening days. Then there's an extra punch to the gut with the reversal of DST. 5:30 PM and it feels like 10PM. It used to not affect me so much in the past.

Ugh, this is so true. I feel like I leave town in summer, and return home and BAM! Autumn. Even though our summer runs late, it's still disorienting.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to December 21, when at least I know that the days will start growing longer again.

Me too.

I was reading an article wherein the author half-jokingly proposed that Christmas be moved to January, to give everyone a rest from Thanksgiving and something to look forward to in January instead of just cold bleakness.

I know this would never happen, but I wish it would! January is the worst.
*** 2017 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

BBadger

Postby BBadger » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:33 pm

Savannah wrote:Ugh, this is so true. I feel like I leave town in summer, and return home and BAM! Autumn. Even though our summer runs late, it's still disorienting.

It's like the real end of the year.

I was reading an article wherein the author half-jokingly proposed that Christmas be moved to January, to give everyone a rest from Thanksgiving and something to look forward to in January instead of just cold bleakness.

Ugh, yeah, January and February both are just two dead months with out (real) holidays. At least February is extra short. No wonder bears hibernate and say fuck it all to that season.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

torrey.smith
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Sextant

Postby torrey.smith » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:56 pm

My wife left just before BM2017. It's been a hard fucking two years. I question everything I'm doing here constantly, and often wonder if I'm doing more harm than good in this community.

I'm about ready to stop making excuses for myself and just get over it, but it turns out that's really hard.

It's hard struggling to fill the boots of a character that was backed up by someone else. I've felt like the empty shell of myself often.

Happy fucking holidays my friends.

-Sarge
Sarge

torrey.smith

Postby torrey.smith » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:12 pm

Oops I meant just before BM2015. My bad.
Sarge

burner von braun
Burning Since: 2010

Postby burner von braun » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:11 pm

Sarge, we haven't met, but I'm certainly familiar with your presence both here and on playa at Sextant. I consider you to be a first class artist, engineer and builder, and the way I hear it, a very friendly and approachable person as well. It seems to me that you embody the very essence of what makes the burner community strong.

I'm sorry to hear that you are struggling with a break up. I don't have any words to make that better, but I can assure you that your efforts with Sextant have brought a lot of joy to countless burners over the years, myself included.

I hope our paths cross in person someday.

Elliot

Postby Elliot » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:51 pm

Please stand by while I RE-TYPE a whole metrick crappola load of a post that vanished AGAIN.
And yes, this time I type it in Word first.

Edit:
Always look for the silver lining!
What just happened, was actually a perfect example for today’s topic.
But I need to sleep, so I can go to Sacramento in the morning. So.... There will (or at least should) be a little something here tomorrow evening. Stay tuned to this station, yes.

Token

Postby Token » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:41 am

torrey.smith wrote:Oops I meant just before BM2015. My bad.

Listen up Sarge, from a guy who is a professional husband, on his third run ...

Six months is fine

A year ... eh, stretching it a bit but OK, some need more time

Two years, go see a doctor. Don’t be shy of the shrink. It makes a world of difference when someone trained can guide you through a tough time.

Meds are also very effective with counseling for major life changing events.

So do the right thing and get a team of professionals on your side and tackle this thing head on.

I got stories to tell, but the iPhone is not the right tool. Let me know if it helps and I’ll get all QWERTY on you.

torrey.smith

Postby torrey.smith » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:22 pm

Token wrote:
Listen up Sarge, from a guy who is a professional husband, on his third run ...

Six months is fine

A year ... eh, stretching it a bit but OK, some need more time

Two years, go see a doctor. Don’t be shy of the shrink. It makes a world of difference when someone trained can guide you through a tough time.

Meds are also very effective with counseling for major life changing events.

So do the right thing and get a team of professionals on your side and tackle this thing head on.

I got stories to tell, but the iPhone is not the right tool. Let me know if it helps and I’ll get all QWERTY on you.

I did go see someone relatively quickly after BM2015, but they didn't really seem to understand why someone would abandon nearly every worldly priority and go into the desert to build. I think it's my bad that I didn't keep looking after that.

I really do need to see someone.

I hadn't realized (or perhaps acknowledged) how much I had hurt other people until recently. I've almost become like a human wrecking ball.

burner von braun wrote:Sarge, we haven't met, but I'm certainly familiar with your presence both here and on playa at Sextant. I consider you to be a first class artist, engineer and builder, and the way I hear it, a very friendly and approachable person as well. It seems to me that you embody the very essence of what makes the burner community strong.

I'm sorry to hear that you are struggling with a break up. I don't have any words to make that better, but I can assure you that your efforts with Sextant have brought a lot of joy to countless burners over the years, myself included.

I hope our paths cross in person someday.

Thanks a bunch. This means a lot to hear. You've seen a very real part of me, and that's why I go out there, to be that guy.

I'm just trying to acknowledge that there's another side to me that really needs work.
Sarge

Elliot

Postby Elliot » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:10 pm

:D
By golly, I do believe this thread is serving a purpose. And there is room for everyone who feels like joining in.

And... by popular demand... we will keep this thread going at least thru January.

Sacramento and my doctor kept me a bit late, but I don't mind -- she is one absolutely wonderful doctor.
And I am now working on the promised Special Feature for tonight. Couple hours, probably.
Get some sleep, folks -- at least if you are back east. E-Playa will be here tomorrow also.

Elliot

Postby Elliot » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:08 pm

(Announcer:)

Good evening, all you eager listeners out there in radio land.
Welcome back to Silent Radio Theater.

(fanfare)

Tonight’s feature performance is a special treat for all our friends with Seasonal Affective Disorder and other flavors of the Bah-Humbug-Blues -- because we shall take you to a World long before our own time, when men were… no, not men at all, but barely cave creatures, aspiring to become men. And there we shall find tonight’s episode:

NEGATIVITY BIAS!

(mysterious sound effect)

But first, please welcome to our Live Soundless Stage in beautiful downtown Clearlake… Oog and Eeg, two randomly chosen cave-men, and our Special Guest Star tonight – making his first appearance on our show – Sir Charles Darwin.

(applause)

(Sir Charles:)

Imagine if you will… an average morning in the era of such bizarre and dangerous creatures as we now find only fossils of.
Oog goes out to hunt and gather, and his neighbor Eeg goes hunting and gathering.

Oog feels that he may once have had a close call with one of the above-mentioned bizarre and hungry beasts, and now he is determined to avoid them at all cost. So he keeps his ears and eyes wide open and concentrates intently on detecting any possible danger.

Even the slightest rustling of a leaf behind a blueberry bush will make him forsake those berries and scurry in the opposite direction. There are always more berries. But it takes only one Saber-Tooth-Tiger to make a berry out of him, and then he would not get to see his new girlfriend tonight.

(Oog enters stage left, sniffing the air)

(Oog:)

Uh, oh. Methinks this looks like Saber-Tooth-Tiger country. I better head the other way. There are surely more berries, and I could stand to lose a couple pounds, anyway.

Yes, Oog is the stressed-out type, but he remains alive.

Eeg, on the other hand, is the mellow type, and more inclined to head straight for the juiciest berries, while paying less attention to… whatever.

(Eeg enters stage right, drooling)

(Eeg:)

Ummm! Blueberries!

And… you are way ahead of me, aren’t you.

(laughter)

Yes, Oog returns to his cave that evening, and proceeds to pass his cautious genes into his girlfriend and thus on to the next generation.
In fact, over the next decade or two, Oog does this a number of times. And then his offspring proceed likewise -- stressed-out but successful. And so on.

Eeg, however, fails to notice a rustling leaf behind his blueberry bush – and fails to pass anything on -- except for passing thru a Saber-Tooth Tiger’s digestive tract.

(Saber-Tooth Tiger:)

Urp.

And where is Oog’s family today? Yes, you are it. Your ancestors were the fittest to survive, and they became you.

This precious trait of prioritizing dangers over opportunities – by anywhere from five-fold to 1,000-fold – is called Negativity Bias.

This is why people rush to learn of bad news -- buying newspapers in ever larger editions the worse the news is, while ignoring any pleasant headlines on “slow news days”.

And this is why your normal difficulties in life seem unsurmountable, maybe even driving you to despair -- while you fail to slow down and smell the flowers you are running so panicky right past.

I’m Charles Darwin, and I did this to you. For your own good, of course.

(loud booing. audience throws rotten produce at the stage. then outright rioting begins)

(Announcer:)

Tune in same time tomorrow, on most of these local stations, for the next episode of Silent Radio Theater:

NEUROPLASTICITY!

Negativity Bias was written by Dr. Rick Hanson and adapted for Silent Radio Theater by some naked bicycle repairman.

Good night.

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby ygmir » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:42 am

that was a very good story and very informative.
I think it helps explain some of my frustrations, with a large segment of society these days.
So many run around, waving their hands that whatever some politician says or does, is going to end the world and starve us all. They don't see all the good around them, but fear what "might" happen, and listen closest to those who trumpet the worst prognostications, the loudest.
They can't see any good, because the clarion call of "it's all bad, even if it seems good" is overwhelming.
And if you try to point out it's all guessing, until and unless it happens, you are the asshat.

I also see people crying "someone (usually government) should do something", when they have within their ability to do much, themselves.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Token

Postby Token » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:51 am

Keep looking Sarge. Maybe find a teaching program where you get a younger psychologist doing their 3000 hours of residency.

The idea is to learn about you. Find out what parts of you need a little oil for the squeeky wheel.

One of my pitfalls was attraction to partners that had underlying drama in their lives, be it alcohol, abuse etc. Through my sessions I was able to understand that aspect of my self and channel that desire into partners that had creative drama, like arts, adventure and setting things on fire on vast desert lakes.

Sounds simple now, but at the time I couldn’t see it past my nose.

It is a process that in small steps will give you vast insight into how and why, and also give you the tools to feel good about it.

Token

Postby Token » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:56 am

Elliot wrote::D

Sacramento and my doctor kept me a bit late, but I don't mind -- she is one absolutely wonderful doctor.

100 miles drive to see the doctor! Now that is commitment.

BTW, I’m in the same boat. 1:15h drive North to Sacramento for a Dr. visit.

The price we pay for living in the sticks.

Elliot

Postby Elliot » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:28 am

(A bit off topic, but a sunshine story.)
I found this doctor around 20 years ago, when I lived in Sacramento. My employer dropped Kaiser, and we all had to find new doctors.
When I first met "Ms Dana", I thought she was a female Doogie Howser -- she looked to be a teenager! Of course, she was in her late 20s, I suppose. Her first day on the job, more or less.

When I moved to Clearlake, I tried using a local doctor here. THAT lady was so awful.... She lived in Davis, near Sacramento, and had to commute to Clearlake to find gainful employment. Drummed out of the whole Sacramento area! After a couple years of that crap...

...I went back to "Ms Dana" in Sacramento, who welcomed me back with a hug.

And now an amusing anecdote about my wonderful "teenage doctor":

Clearly, she had just recently began working as a fully licensed MD.
And since I was a new patient, I needed a full going-over. This included a "digital rectal exam", which means the doctor sticks a finger into my tailpipe to feel for lumps or whatnot. The previous time this had been done, it took maybe five seconds.

Ms Dana took "half the day". She moved me around, over and over, to the absolutely perfect position as she had been taught, and positioned herself in the absolutely perfect position as she had been taught, and on and on. She was soooo awkward! But I was able to put her at ease about it, and we had a nice laugh.
To this day, I feel glad I was able to contribute to her ongoing education.
And that's the kind of relationship we still have -- old friends. :-)

Token

Postby Token » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:32 am

Fucking far out! Love them stories.

I went to the same doc for 27 years before I moved to the Gold Country sticks. 4 years before I could find a Dr. that listens and has really small hands ;)

Found him in Folsom CA.

The tailpipe was uneventful but now I got a full rotisserie scheduled to get scoped from both ends.

My requirements:

1. Do the asophagus first. (Chronic Acid Reflux)
2. Michael-Jackson me so I don’t remember nothing.

I’ll supply the driver.

Savannah

Postby Savannah » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:32 pm

Much enjoyed the Negativity Bias Radio Theatre, brought to me by: a Naked Bicycle Repairman.

(NBR Network!)
*** 2017 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Elliot

Postby Elliot » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:23 pm

Thank you, Savannah! Glad you like it.
And the next episode -- Neuroplasticity! -- is indeed sponsored by...

(fanfare)

Elliot’s Naked Bicycle Service & Piano Bar.

(Jingle singers:)

La-la-la.… Bike come unglued? Take it to the nude dude! La-la-la….

However, time and energy ran out before I finished inventing it. So it will be broadcast in another day or two.
:-)

Sham

Postby Sham » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:11 am

I hope everyone is doing well so far before the holidays. Just a few more weeks until New Years--and a new year. 8)

AntiM

Postby AntiM » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:00 am

Going to the Vegas Santa Rampage. Feels a little more like a chore than before. I still want to go, but it doesn't feel easy. A lot of general malaise and ennui. I think that's from a combination of stress and the incredibly bad air which keeps me indoors. Yuck. We need snow.

Return to “Open Discussion”