All things outside of Burning Man.
ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Re: Rest In Peace

Post by ygmir » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:40 am

Canoe wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:38 pm
Not associated with BRC, except as sufficient quirkiness.
Captain Dick Stevenson, the man behind the famed "Sourtoe Cocktail" served at a hotel bar in Canada's Yukon Territory since the 1970s, has died.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-50383337
oh Jeexe! sorry to hear this. I have had the "sour toe" cocktail, and have a card to prove it!
SourToecocktail.jpg
toe.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:26 am

ygmir wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:40 am
Canoe wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:38 pm
Not associated with BRC, except as sufficient quirkiness.
Captain Dick Stevenson, the man behind the famed "Sourtoe Cocktail" served at a hotel bar in Canada's Yukon Territory since the 1970s, has died.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-50383337
oh Jeexe! sorry to hear this. I have had the "sour toe" cocktail, and have a card to prove it!
His final request: to have his deceased toes removed and mummified so that they can be enjoyed in Sour Toes for many, many years to come.

“I’m pretty sure I’m the only daughter in history that has to, following my dad’s will, make sure that his toes are removed and dried and make it up to Dawson City,” said Dixie Stevenson to CBC News after his passing last Thurday in Canada’s Yukon Territory.
Includes list of donated toes.
https://thetakeout.com/latest-footnote- ... 1838409250
That's one word I regret googling during breakfast.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
, but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:37 am

Frida Be You & Me

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:27 pm

Caroll Spinney, Puppeteer of the 'Two Best Muppets', Died at 85

“Playing Big Bird is one of the most joyous things of my life.”

https://jezebel.com/caroll-spinney-pupp ... 1840299609
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
, but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

burner von braun
Burning Since: 2010

Post by burner von braun » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:05 pm

Syd Mead - Visual Futurist

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:36 am

“She led by example. She lived big and by doing so, she gave everyone in her wake permission to play. As an artist, songwriter, party thrower, and all the other titles she held, she was constantly creating, and soon became the super-passionate-badass-lady-artist muse I needed.”

https://boingboing.net/2019/12/27/rest- ... illis.html
Frida Be You & Me

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:07 pm

R.I.P. pizzamancer. :cry:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

burner von braun
Burning Since: 2010

Post by burner von braun » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:43 pm

I'm sorry to hear this

Rest in Peace pizzamancer

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:25 am

Damn.

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:28 am

fair winds, Pizzamancer.
One of the first people to greet me my first year on the playa, always interesting and kind here on eplaya.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Major Krash
Camp Name: Sideshow

Post by Major Krash » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:42 am

RIP Pizzamancer. Your Playa pizza's were legendary, and you also were a guide assisting many Japanese Burners.
"If you don't think too good, don't think too much" Ted Williams

Token

Post by Token » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:44 pm

Oh WOW! So sad. Fly high Pizzamancer!

666isMONEY
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: BRCCP

Post by 666isMONEY » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:38 pm

Chuk Lame Crow. He was a Temple Guardian.

Memorial on a Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/4435315 ... ?ref=share

Here he’s protesting the oil pipeline through an Indian Reservation. (He spells his name Chuk)
F516C6E5-5C7D-4525-9430-8F4CC538A282.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

666isMONEY

Post by 666isMONEY » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:56 am

23A14541-9770-4141-A796-400237E86F41.jpeg

666isMONEY

Post by 666isMONEY » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:03 am

E7D010B3-6274-4E42-B33D-41955D152E80.jpeg

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:34 am

Frida Be You & Me

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:21 am

Dr. Jettina DeSinister.

Playawaste Raider and Eplayan and a wonderful human.

she will be missed dearly.
05C27D3A-438E-453B-B350-E01291CFCCAE.jpeg
Frida Be You & Me

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:32 pm

This amazing woman will truly be missed.

We love you Jett, save me a seat
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:33 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:21 am
Dr. Jettina DeSinister.

Playawaste Raider and Eplayan and a wonderful human.

she will be missed dearly.

05C27D3A-438E-453B-B350-E01291CFCCAE.jpeg
seconded, indeed.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:10 pm

Kelly Kidd aka Gary Weisler
One of the original founders of the The Mudskippers Urban Decay Cafe.
FB_IMG_1580609096038.jpg
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

lucky420

Re: Rest In Peacem

Post by lucky420 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:37 am

I’m sorry for your loss jk
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:23 am

Sorry JK, that's gotta be tough.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:12 pm

Thanks. It was so fast. He was only 51 and the epitome of good health, then he was diagnosed with two huge brain tumors and he was gone in a month.

We will have Camp Kelly Kid set up within the Mudskipper Village in his honor and bringing his ashes to the temple.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:51 pm

Dr Li Wenliang memorial.jpg
Dr Li Wenliang passed honorably to join his ancestors at age 34. His family is now reported to be infected with the Wuhan 2019 corona virus.

In December an outbreak of a novel virus emerged in Wuhan China. There is a resistance to report anything bad which could lose face in the structure. So the response was delayed.

The Dr simply shared with a small group of medical colleagues his concern. It was not even his responsibility as an ophthalmologist, but he did. That propagated with his name attached and he was arrested and forced to sign a confession. But he continued to work with infected patients. When he fell ill, he was not prioritized for testing the Wuhan coronavirus, was not promptly or properly treated, died, and his death was even covered up for hours.

Our world hearts go out to every individual and family who fall ill. How many tens of thousands, hundreds, even more, could have been prevented by not ignoring Dr Li Wenliang?

Franky I'm very, very concerned, having worked with Uighurs, and it is sickening to say, this might naturally/on purpose "spread" as did America's shameful smallpox blankets.

(illustration in memorial of corona virus fighter and whistleblower who died of it in China)
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:26 pm

some seeing eye wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:51 pm
Dr Li Wenliang passed honorably to join his ancestors at age 34. His family is now reported to be infected with the Wuhan 2019 corona virus.

... it is sickening to say, this might naturally/on purpose "spread" as did America's shameful smallpox blankets.
So far, the data that's known (with "official" data being somewhat suspect) doesn't support this.

His getting infected despite being aware of SARS like issues, can be explained by the now known asymptomatic human-to-human Transmission. But, given the embarrassment they faced regarding Dr. Wenliang, I've been going hmmm about his succumbing to 2019-nCoV when he doesn't fit the released Susceptibility and Mortality profile. Asian males known for having double the number of a receptor in their lungs that is now known to be one utilized by 2019-nCOV, is an assumed, not proven, susceptibility. And it would only apply for exposure to infected droplets that managed to get into the lung. And in this case, past a knowledgeable and aware person who would presumably be taking preventative measures for an airborne SARS like illness that they posted an alert on. He would also presumably be a healthy individual, although assuredly run down by the sudden unprecedented load of addressing the large and growing presentation of ill individuals at the hospitals.
The following is a summary of Chinese National Health Commission news conference about susceptibility and mortality rate on February 4, 2020 [4]. The youngest patient is a 1-month-old newborn and the oldest is over 90. The mortality rate calculation is based on confirmed cases and it is likely that many non-severe cases are not diagnosed and considered for this calculation. The mortality rate in mainland China overall is 2.1%. Hubei Province accounts for 97% deaths with a rate of 3.1%. Wuhan city accounts for 74% deaths with a rate of 4.9%. The mortality rate in mainland China excluding Hubei Province is 0.16%. Males account for 2/3 of deaths. 80% deaths are over 60 years old. Over 75% deaths occurred with one or more comorbidities, including cardiovascular diseases, diabetes and tumors. One of the reasons for the high mortality rate in Wuhan city is that there were only 110 beds from three designated hospitals during the early stage of this epidemic and a large number of severe cases were handled in non-designated hospitals.
I can't help but ask:
  • Given when his illness started and its range of incubation times, it appears that the exposure that caused his infection would have to have occurred after he had posted his alert. When he was exposed, was it a leak or other exposure due to tired and overworked; or, was he in what he thought was a safe place when he was exposed.
  • After infection, how was it that he succumbed to 2019-nCoV, when he's not a fit to either the Susceptibility profile nor the Mortality profile. Given his work, he's a higher risk for exposure, but he's a lower risk for mortality. Does not seem likely.
  • Since that is unlikely, is it a possibility that what he succumbed to wasn't 2019-nCoV.

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:18 am

some seeing eye wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:51 pm
Dr Li Wenliang memorial.jpg

In December an outbreak of a novel virus emerged in Wuhan China. There is a resistance to report anything bad which could lose face in the structure. So the response was delayed.

The Dr simply shared with a small group of medical colleagues his concern. It was not even his responsibility as an ophthalmologist, but he did. That propagated with his name attached and he was arrested and forced to sign a confession. But he continued to work with infected patients. When he fell ill, he was not prioritized for testing the Wuhan coronavirus, was not promptly or properly treated, died, and his death was even covered up for hours.

Our world hearts go out to every individual and family who fall ill. How many tens of thousands, hundreds, even more, could have been prevented by not ignoring Dr Li Wenliang?

Franky I'm very, very concerned, having worked with Uighurs, and it is sickening to say, this might naturally/on purpose "spread" as did America's shameful smallpox blankets.

(illustration in memorial of corona virus fighter and whistleblower who died of it in China)
China is fucking shady as shit and this is not surprising at all.

R.I.P. good doctor
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:01 am

They have a test for 2019-nCoV. The Dr tested positive. But reportedly they did not test and get results promptly enough to treat.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:35 am

some seeing eye wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:01 am
They have a test for 2019-nCoV. The Dr tested positive. But reportedly they did not test and get results promptly enough to treat.
That doesn't hold water.
They don't treat 2019-nCoV, as there is no treatment for it. They treat symptoms as they present.
There is no credible way he could fail to recognize the symptoms he'd been addressing in Pt.s. Nor if he developed breathing issues, let alone ARI.

Article with a Doctor in Wuhan.
https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/east- ... avirus-icu
PRESENTATION

I've observed that the breakout period of the novel coronavirus tends to be three weeks, from the onset of symptoms to developing difficulties breathing. Basically going from mild to severe symptoms takes about a week. There are all sorts of mild symptoms: feebleness, shortness of breath, some people have fevers, some don't. Based on studies of our 138 cases, the most common symptoms in the first stage are
  • fever (98.6 per cent of cases),
  • feebleness (69.6 per cent),
  • cough (59.4 per cent),
  • muscle pains (34.8 per cent), difficulties breathing (31.2%),
  • while less common symptoms include headaches, dizziness, stomach pain, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting.
But some patients who enter the second week will suddenly get worse. At this stage, people should go to the hospital. The elderly with underlying conditions may develop complications; some may need machine-assisted respiration. When the body's other organs start to fail, that's when it becomes severe, while those with strong immune systems see their symptoms decrease in severity at this stage and gradually recover. So the second week is what determines whether the illness becomes critical.

The third week determines whether critical illness leads to death. Some in critical condition who receive treatment can raise their level of lymphocytes, a type of white blood cell, and see an improvement in their immune systems, and have been brought back, so to speak. But those whose lymphocyte numbers continue to decline, those whose immune systems are destroyed in the end, experience multiple organ failure and die.

OUTCOME

For most, the illness is over in two weeks, whereas for those for whom the illness becomes severe, if they can survive three weeks, they're good. Those that can't will die in three weeks.

Peng: Based on my clinical observations, this disease is highly contagious, but the mortality rate is low. Those that progressed into the life-threatening stage often occurred in the elderly already with chronic diseases.

As of Jan 28, of 138 cases, 36 were in the ICU, 28 recovered, five died. That is to say, the mortality rate of patients with severe conditions was 3.6 per cent. Yesterday (Feb 3), another patient died, bringing the mortality rate to 4.3 per cent. Given patients in the ICU, it is likely to have more deaths. The mortality rate is also likely to edge up but not significantly.

tatonka
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Post by tatonka » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:16 am

R.I.P. Robert Conrad
Tales told
Of battles won
Of things we've done
Caligula would grin

junglesmacks
Burning Since: 1986

Post by junglesmacks » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:01 pm

I came here just to add my bit.

Thank you, Jett.

Thank you. You will be treasured, loved and listened to daily as you sit on my shoulder.

So much has already been said.. it's all I got left that I can verbalize..
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.

Return to “Open Discussion”