Rest In Peace

All things outside of Burning Man.
theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Rest In Peace

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:37 am

(((misfit)))
(With all the kitty trouble on the "fcuk" thread, at least those cats are alive and scratching.)
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Lassen Forge
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Post by Lassen Forge » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:19 pm

((((Tuxedo)))), one of our semi-feral cats. Shelli went out to feed the cats this morning, he was curled up on the rug next to the back door snoozing... but when she went to wake him and he was cold and gone. Damnit.

When I first met him, he was new to our yard, and was in the process of (successfully) raiding our bird feeder... he never did it again (when we were watching)... he used to sit on the fence right outside the kitchen window in the morning, and stare at us until we fed him... He'd sit at a distance, on his haunches, and watch me work in the back yard... keeping almost exactly 10 feet away. Brilliant cat.

My life, and our home, is a bit emptier now. Gonna miss you, hon. :cry:

jella
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Dye with dignity

Post by jella » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:23 pm

Damn hard week for cats :(...so sorry BBS
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there

OregonRed
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207

Post by OregonRed » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:25 pm

(((((((BBS)))))))
M*A*S*H 4207 We're not doctors.

"Just be yourself. All the good personalities are taken." stolen from my amazing friend Dwayne Gerken's fb status post.

ygmir
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:13 pm

dang BBS........so sorry!!!
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:57 pm

(((BBS)))
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

maryanimal
Burning Since: 2011

Post by maryanimal » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:49 pm

((((((misfit))))))) ((((((BBS)))))))
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.

Eric

Post by Eric » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:05 pm

My cousin Leslie passed away last night. She was born very disabled and not expected to live until 20, she was 60 when she passed. Just a pure ray of joy. She's out of pain and at peace now.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Deb Prothero

Post by Deb Prothero » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:17 pm

(((Eric)))

those special rays of light brighten many lives. hope your good memories sustain you during the grieving.
In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer.

Albert Camus

goathead
Burning Since: 1999

Post by goathead » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:27 pm

One of the threads I hate to open
but glad its here

life and loss

pain and joy

wish I knew what to say
so often don't

MisaBlue
Burning Since: 2010

Post by MisaBlue » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:07 pm

goathead wrote:One of the threads I hate to open
but glad its here

life and loss

pain and joy

wish I knew what to say
so often don't
+1

OregonRed

Post by OregonRed » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:16 pm

(((((Eric)))))

"Just be yourself. All the good personalities are taken." stolen from my amazing friend Dwayne Gerken's fb status post.

maryanimal

Post by maryanimal » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:37 pm

((((Eric))))
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.

ygmir
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:26 pm

((((((((Eric)))))))))) and, a fair wind and smooth seas, for your cousin.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:28 pm

((Eric)) your description of her "Just a pure ray of joy" is lovely. She must have been an inspiration to you and others who knew and loved her...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

jorjastandish

Post by jorjastandish » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:32 pm

This thread makes me really sad. :(
There are many ways on how to transfer money abroad. Check this site out.It's all about affiliate marketing.

Eric

Post by Eric » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:48 pm

jorjastandish wrote:This thread makes me really sad. :(
It's a hard thread, but its also comforting to have a place to talk about this.

Thank you all for the hugs. It helps.

This is Leslie having her first s'more ever, last year at a family re-union/ "decade" birthday party (my dad & uncle both turned 80, my sister in law turned 50, we had cousins who turned 10,20 & 30 and a family friend who turned 90)
LeslieSmore.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

maryanimal

Post by maryanimal » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:44 pm

Eric, she had such a warm and friendly face! I bet there are a few stories you can tell about her that will bring a smile on your face!

kelizabeth

Post by kelizabeth » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:19 am

My grandmother died Saturday morning. She was my second mom, she helped raise me. I love her so much. The funeral is on Friday in southern California. I'm delivering the eulogy, with my brother.

I finally got a lead on will-call tickets from my Swiss friend who had some people drop out of his crew, and now I feel like I don't have the strength/proper head-space to get ready and attend BM in a mere week and a half. My partner is trying to convince me its still a good idea for me to go, but I don't know, he may just be saying that, unintentionally, out of his own selfish desire to go, and not necessarily because its a good idea for me to go. She's gone, and it hurts a lot, and its not as though I'll be missing out on anything while out there, but it just seems like going out there isn't the right thing to do. I'll be Ms. Debbie Downer the whole time. I won't have the same experience I've had in the past. It will be totally different. I'll be sad and empty the entire time.

Has anyone else on here had someone important pass so close to the burn who can give me some perspective?
"Defiance and resistance are illegal. Therein lies the salvation of man. Everything illegal necessitates integrity, self-reliance, and courage."
Emma Goldman

OregonRed

Post by OregonRed » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:28 am

Not this close to the Burn. And regardless of any advice that anyone gives you, it's your grief and only you can decide if going this year is right for you.

Know that if you do decide to come out to TTITD this year, there are many of us on here who will be there and will be happy to give you a shoulder to cry on or someone to laugh at or whatever it is that you need to help you through your grief.

And know that if you don't decide to come out to TTITD that we are all here for you just a few keyboard strokes away.

((((((((kelizabeth)))))))))

I am so very sorry for your loss.

The CO
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404://Village Not Found

Post by The CO » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:38 am

(((((kelizabeth)))))) My condolances.

Going to the burn after the passing of a loved one can be a very positive cathartic release. The Temple becomes a quite a focal point for that kind of thing.

Or maybe you go with the Debbie Downer thing, and it turns out like you fear it will. It's a 50/50 chance, but you have a lot of control over how the coin lands.

How about this: If you get the ticket you're seeking, then Gran is saying go for it. If not, maybe she's looking out for you in a different way.

Again, sorry to hear about your grandma, good luck & dogspeed.

Oh, also:
kelizabeth wrote:I won't have the same experience I've had in the past.
Nope, you won't. There's a whole new set of things waiting for you to do.
kelizabeth wrote:It will be totally different.
Yep. That's my favorite part. If it was the same thing every year, BRC would be really dull.
kelizabeth wrote:I'll be sad and empty the entire time.
I doubt it.

You will be sad at some point. You will be empty at some point. You will also be happy, giddy, maniacal, grumpy, excited, dusty, joyous, dancing, dry, laughing, annoyed, annoying, loved, enraptured, crushing, and maybe even angry at different points.
That melting pot of experience & emotion, be they good or bad, the sum of all those things is what makes Black Rock City the most amazing place in the world to me.

If you get there and find yourself sad for more than 4 hours in a row, come to Terminal City: M*A*S*H 4207th and find me. I'll do my best to cheer you up. No money back guarantee, void where prohibited.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
When I ask how many burns, I mean at BRC.

kelizabeth

Post by kelizabeth » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:53 pm

I've been sitting here trying to write a eulogy. This whole thing is weighing really heavily on me. I feel like if I stop grieving at all, she really will be gone forever.

I just got the two will-call tickets confirmed a few minutes ago. Which is really neat. But I'm still on the fence. But maybe the tickets presenting themselves in front of me are in fact a sign that I am supposed to go. All of my energy for the next several days will be going into my family, especially my mother and brother - we three are the most affected.

I'll only have about 5 days to do my final preparations, which is stressful in itself. Its definitely going to be a sad burn for me. I may be a bit of a loner, I may not be friendly to everyone that bounces up to me. I may spend a lot of time alone.
"Defiance and resistance are illegal. Therein lies the salvation of man. Everything illegal necessitates integrity, self-reliance, and courage."
Emma Goldman

thirt33n
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Playa Name "Crux"

Post by thirt33n » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:05 pm

a celebration of their entry to the place the flames reach for.
tears of joy.

to the sky.
blow.

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:26 pm

Take something of theirs to the temple and spend as much time as you need.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:42 pm

I look forward to my time in BRC each year;
it provides me the space and support to mourn...

With the grieving, comes the joy and release...

The Temple is the art that I anticipate most,
it gives me so much that I don't get anywhere else in my life...

every single year.
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

OregonRed

Post by OregonRed » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:17 pm

gaminwench wrote:I look forward to my time in BRC each year;
it provides me the space and support to mourn...

With the grieving, comes the joy and release...

The Temple is the art that I anticipate most,
it gives me so much that I don't get anywhere else in my life...

every single year.
+1

I am glad you get to come to TTITD.

Burn however you need to Burn, kelizabeth. If you need anything come find me or TheCO in M*A*S*H 4207 in Terminal City (3:30 & A)... In fact there are several crazy eplayans in TC and we're there should you need anything.

(((((kelizabeth)))))
Last edited by OregonRed on Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eric

Post by Eric » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:07 pm

kelizabeth wrote:I've been sitting here trying to write a eulogy. This whole thing is weighing really heavily on me. I feel like if I stop grieving at all, she really will be gone forever.
As long as she lives in your heart and your memories, she lives. All my grandparents passed when I was in my 30's, they are all with me to this day, as are all my friends who no longer physically walk beside me.

Only you can decide if going to the Burn is good or not for you now, but don't ever fear losing her from your heart.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:43 pm

I second that...

I still talk to my grandfather from time to time, usually when I'm in the shop working.
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather

Kinetik V
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Post by Kinetik V » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:26 pm

RIP Rod Garrett
Posted by Will Chase
From the Burning Blog....

Source: http://blog.burningman.com/2011/08/news ... d-garrett/

Rod Garrett, 2010.

It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of Rod Garrett, the long-time architect and designer of Black Rock City.

Since 1997, Rod has guided the Black Rock City urban design, overseeing its evolution from a functional plan to provide structure to a desert encampment of 10,000 to supporting a thriving metropolis of 50,000+, always with an eye towards form, function, elegance and the development of community. In addition to his urban planning role, Rod also designed Black Rock City’s major infrastructural elements, including the Center Camp Café, and every Man base since 1997.

Through his work over the years, Rod has made considerable contributions to the Burning Man community, for Rod’s particular genius was understanding the importance and power of design as it relates to social interaction and cultural development. Rod’s brilliance, passion and dedication to his craft will be sorely missed by the Burning Man organization.

Many of Rod’s writings about designing Black Rock City can be found in the Metropol Blog Series.

This year, the road encircling Black Rock City’s Center Camp will be named “Rod’s Road” in his honor.

Considering how much his work has touched so many...words sort of fail to convey the appropriate level of gratitude....I hope my sincere Thank You Rod....will humbly suffice.

Thatgirlagain

Post by Thatgirlagain » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:47 pm

kelizabeth: Two years ago, my mother died unexpectedly ten days before the burn. Being the oldest sibling, I had to drive toTexas and make all the arrangements, etc. I was heartbroken. I couldn't decide if I was up to going to BM until the day after the funeral driving back to Cali. We had already packed up and when we reached home, I felt being back on the Playa would help. And it did. It was different and low-keyed but I visited the Temple many times to give into my grief and cry it out. I can only speak for myself because everyone handles grief differently but I'm glad I went.

BBS: Those darn cats can break your heart! I sit here with tears in my eyes remembering the many strays that adopted me, stole my heart, then left without a word or passed away quietly somewhere on my property. RIP my little ones...

Return to “Open Discussion”