Rest In Peace

All things outside of Burning Man.
^Rhino!
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Black Rock Beacon

Re: Rest In Peace

Postby ^Rhino! » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:36 am

AntiM wrote:My oldest brother would have been 71 today. Gone 15 years, unbelievable. Fuck cancer.

AntiM, thank you for sharing this.

Now let me share a little praise for you and some hope for your heart. You have kept your oldest brother alive where he will do the most good - in you. In that way, those we love and respect never die, they live on in our memories forever, never to be forgotten. They have affected our lives, and the positive remains - memories of the hugs, the laughter, the sharing, the song. We share not how they died, but how they LIVED, as a less on to US.

I'll share a story of my dear grandmother, who passed away in Ohio while I was in undergraduate school. I couldn't make the funeral, which was right at finals time. Some time the day after I found out, I sat alone on the steps of the library at school, and vowed to do the best I ever could for finals that year in tribute to her. As an additional ad hoc memorial, I decided to keep using my middle initial on my signature always (Grandma wanted me to do that, because my middle name is my father's name - reminds me where I come from, right?). I've used my middle initial ever since.....a tribute to both my father and grandma.

Dad's still alive (85 and counting), and when I talk with him on the phone, the respect, the FAMILY is still there. Mom is still there, too (at age 83). And Grandma may have been buried for 30 years, but she's still alive in my heart.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
Black Rock Beacon - '2010, 2012-2016
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever. Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Div. of Geology 2009-2015
I'm here until the serendipitous synchronicity is ubiquitous.

Just_Joe
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Black Rock Weather

Postby Just_Joe » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:04 pm

This was going to be a "Works in Progress" post, but it changed tone a few hours after starting.
I've been in a carpentry mode the last few days and decided, what the hell, why not make an identical set of smaller ABC blocks to bring out this year.
When I realized I had a few extras, I decided to make one for Dad, who passed shortly after the burn last year, and put it in the Temple.
RIP Dad.

I don't have a table saw, but ended up hanging out with a builder friend at a function yesterday. After grilling him on some aspects of this other art project I'm working on, he offered to loan me his saw for my blocks.
I went to pick it up at his house early this morning, and he was polishing up his Harley for a ride around Tahoe with his girlfriend. We visited in his driveway and garage for about 45 minutes, just shooting the shit.
Cathy and I spent all day cutting, gluing and nailing. 18 blocks. TWO extras!
While I was sweeping up, I got the call. Big John and his girlfriend were killed on his bike this afternoon.
The last words he said to me were "That's what friends are for".
I'll have two blocks in the Temple this year. RIP Big John & GF.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

June Cleaver
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Postby June Cleaver » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:13 pm

Just_Joe wrote:This was going to be a "Works in Progress" post, but it changed tone a few hours after starting.
I've been in a carpentry mode the last few days and decided, what the hell, why not make an identical set of smaller ABC blocks to bring out this year.
When I realized I had a few extras, I decided to make one for Dad, who passed shortly after the burn last year, and put it in the Temple.
RIP Dad.

I don't have a table saw, but ended up hanging out with a builder friend at a function yesterday. After grilling him on some aspects of this other art project I'm working on, he offered to loan me his saw for my blocks.
I went to pick it up at his house early this morning, and he was polishing up his Harley for a ride around Tahoe with his girlfriend. We visited in his driveway and garage for about 45 minutes, just shooting the shit.
Cathy and I spent all day cutting, gluing and nailing. 18 blocks. TWO extras!
While I was sweeping up, I got the call. Big John and his girlfriend were killed on his bike this afternoon.
The last words he said to me were "That's what friends are for".
I'll have two blocks in the Temple this year. RIP Big John & GF.

I'm so very sorry to hear of this. My condolences. Your burn will be bittersweet this year.

My mom passed April 3. My first burn, my first temple visit.

Big hugs Joe n Cathy
It's your thing, do what you wanna do. I'm pleading The Fifth.

2017. They-----> Fucked YER Burn

Sham

Postby Sham » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:19 pm

That's terrible. I'm so sorry to hear this sad news.

Jovankat
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Methuselah's Children

Postby Jovankat » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:30 pm

Aw Joe I'm sorry, the story started out sounding so lovely and it didn't click in my head that given the thread it was likely to have a sad ending. I'm glad you got to visit with him today, he's sounds like a top bloke. What a loss. *Hug*

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby ygmir » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:38 am

damn sorry to hear this, Joe......what a great gift, though, a good visit. Gives perspective to "it can all change in an instant", and treating each other well, because "you never know".
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Just_Joe
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Black Rock Weather

Postby Just_Joe » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:53 pm

Thanks y'all. Spent a lot of time reflecting today. And sanding.

Ratty
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Postby Ratty » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:35 pm

Joe I'm sorry to hear that. Life can be so rotten. Damn shame.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

ZigZag
Camp Name: Fade to White

Postby ZigZag » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:51 am

Joe: Words are inadequate. Hugs help.
Keep on sanding.

ZZ
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are" Joseph Campbell

^Rhino!
Camp Name: Black Rock Beacon

Postby ^Rhino! » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:20 am

Joe:

Hang in there and keep sanding.

June Cleaver:

My condolences on your loss as well. Your first trip to BRC and first trip to the Temple will give you a new kind of inner peace. I've been there and know it brought me back to a better attitude overall. I wish the same for you.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
Black Rock Beacon - '2010, 2012-2016
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever. Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Div. of Geology 2009-2015
I'm here until the serendipitous synchronicity is ubiquitous.

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Postby Elorrum » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:52 am

Joe, Sorry to hear this.
"Ask again later." - Magic 8-Ball

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby AntiM » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:10 pm

Fuck. Have some fucking hugs.
http://burningman.org/timeline/

Poke me to experience my gooey insides!

ZigZag

Postby ZigZag » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:18 pm

Saying goodbye to my best friend of 9 years was perhaps one of the harder things I've done in a while. This morning I had to put down Lily, my pretty little dog who loved me without condition, who loved to play, chase Frisbees, play tug-o-war, romp in the snow, go for walks, have her belly rubbed, eat chicken jerky and sit on my foot while she gazed up at me with her big brown liquid eyes.

She'd survived being hit by a car doing 50+mph, blood poisoning, and being attacked by a pit bill but she couldn't beat the cancer that first showed up about 16 weeks ago and despite having surgery, it tore through her body like a tornado.

What started it? Simple. I never had her spayed. Evidently non-spayed dogs have a ridiculously high rate of mammary cancer. If they are spayed before their second heat, the rate drops to near zero. Who knew? I didn't and it cost me many good years with her.

So today I put her down and she is now at peace, buried out in the woods on my property where she used to chase the flocks of turkeys and the occasional deer. This house, this property has been her whole world, so it is fitting.

I obviously have been in tears all day long, no point holding them back. Several of my dear friends have been supporting me and helping me out by just being there when I needed them. Messages at the right time with the right words, hugs, prayers, good vibes and just sitting with me talking about Burning Man as the evening descends, all kept my heart from breaking into a million pieces.

I am so grateful to them for propping me up, I am grateful for all my friends and loved ones who always seem to be there for me. I am grateful I got to spend some time on this planet with a sweet little dog named Lily who always filled my heart with such joy.

Rest in Peace my dear girl.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lucky420
Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby lucky420 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:29 pm

OH zigzag I'm so so sorry for your loss. Thank you for loving
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

ygmir

Postby ygmir » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:32 pm

ZigZag wrote:Saying goodbye to my best friend of 9 years was perhaps one of the harder things I've done in a while. This morning I had to put down Lily, my pretty little dog who loved me without condition, who loved to play, chase Frisbees, play tug-o-war, romp in the snow, go for walks, have her belly rubbed, eat chicken jerky and sit on my foot while she gazed up at me with her big brown liquid eyes.

She'd survived being hit by a car doing 50+mph, blood poisoning, and being attacked by a pit bill but she couldn't beat the cancer that first showed up about 16 weeks ago and despite having surgery, it tore through her body like a tornado.

What started it? Simple. I never had her spayed. Evidently non-spayed dogs have a ridiculously high rate of mammary cancer. If they are spayed before their second heat, the rate drops to near zero. Who knew? I didn't and it cost me many good years with her.

So today I put her down and she is now at peace, buried out in the woods on my property where she used to chase the flocks of turkeys and the occasional deer. This house, this property has been her whole world, so it is fitting.

I obviously have been in tears all day long, no point holding them back. Several of my dear friends have been supporting me and helping me out by just being there when I needed them. Messages at the right time with the right words, hugs, prayers, good vibes and just sitting with me talking about Burning Man as the evening descends, all kept my heart from breaking into a million pieces.

I am so grateful to them for propping me up, I am grateful for all my friends and loved ones who always seem to be there for me. I am grateful I got to spend some time on this planet with a sweet little dog named Lily who always filled my heart with such joy.

Rest in Peace my dear girl.

an old Viking saying:
May your grief be short,
for it's what you need
and intense,
for it's what she deserves.

so sorry, for your loss. Bring it back for me, I can relate.
You did your best, and that counts.

May she find cool water, soft bedding, and treats.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Postby Elorrum » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:59 pm

Gentle passage to Lily, relief from all wordly pain. Hugs for Zig Zag.
"Ask again later." - Magic 8-Ball

mojo

Postby mojo » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:23 pm

Sweet Zigzag, I am so sorry that she is gone. It is hard that most of us outlive our very best friends, but there is another side to it - I have seen some pets that outlive their owners. That is the very hardest, because they grieve without knowing why. I have seen good people ask that their elderly pets be put to sleep if they die, and it has been a blessing for the bonded, elderly pet.

There is a lovely classical poem - I will have to look up the author, that, in essence, says, "The best thing I ever did for you was to outlive you".

I have had many, many, pets over the years - but sometimes one becomes attached to your soul, has its own room in your heart. My playa name for 18 years is in honor to the "one" of my life, gone more than 30 years ago now.

Keep Lilly in your heart.
Cum catapulte proscripte erunt tum soli proscripti catapultus haebunt.

Ratty

Postby Ratty » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:31 pm

Zig-Zag here's a BIG hug for you. ((((zz)))) It's OK to cry and keep on loving her forever.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby trilobyte » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:44 pm

I'm so sorry to hear it, ZigZag.

FlyingMonkey

Postby FlyingMonkey » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:27 pm

Good Bye Gene Wilder & thank you for the laughs.

Gene.jpg

Gene1.jpg

gene3.jpg
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

mojo

Postby mojo » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:27 pm

We learned last night that our Burner community has lost a very dear, sweet soul. RIP Parker East, aka "Cake". He was wildly talented, deftly creative, and enormously intelligent. He travelled the world with a childlike love and unstintingly gave of himself to those around him. The Greeters community is in shock with the sadness of losing him. He is gone far too soon. Godspeed Cake.
Cum catapulte proscripte erunt tum soli proscripti catapultus haebunt.

Ratty

Postby Ratty » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:26 pm

Thailand's King Bhumibol Adulyadej, the world's longest-reigning monarch, has died after 70 years as head of state. This makes me sad and it is a very big deal. My Thai friends have been dreading this for years. The Heirs are not capable and the power struggle may be bloody.

Everyone refers to him as "My King". They truly love him. He was 88 years old RIP.

The CO
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404://Village Not Found

Postby The CO » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:37 pm

RIP Marc Place.

Not a burner, but a long time friend and someone with whom I literally traveled the world.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
When I ask how many burns, I mean at BRC.

lucky420
Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby lucky420 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:20 pm

I'm very sorry for your loss CO. to good and great memories... :coffee:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

ZigZag

Postby ZigZag » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:11 pm

Ratty wrote:Thailand's King Bhumibol Adulyadej, the world's longest-reigning monarch, has died after 70 years as head of state. This makes me sad and it is a very big deal. My Thai friends have been dreading this for years. The Heirs are not capable and the power struggle may be bloody.

Everyone refers to him as "My King". They truly love him. He was 88 years old RIP.

He was such a rock and brought so much stability to a land that needed it. Much change is on the horizon for the Thai people.

ygmir

Postby ygmir » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:33 pm

so sorry, CO.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Ratty

Postby Ratty » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:17 pm

RIP Leonard Cohen. You will be remembered and appreciated.

ZigZag

Postby ZigZag » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:03 pm

Robert Vaughn died today. The Man from U.N.C.L.E.
I had such a crush on him!

FlyingMonkey

Postby FlyingMonkey » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:41 am

Ratty wrote:RIP Leonard Cohen. You will be remembered and appreciated.

He was a pretty cool cat. Loved his music.
Leonard.jpg
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

ZigZag

Postby ZigZag » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:43 am

Leon Russell.
Dang I love his music.
Dead at 74 today. Damn.

Return to “Open Discussion”