All things outside of Burning Man.
Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Re: Rest In Peace

Post by Simon of the Playa » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:48 am

Jean Rochefort
252380C1-4197-4652-8AE9-7C6A044950BB.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Frida Be You & Me

Traveller in Time
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Neon Light Alley (should be: Camp Envy)

Post by Traveller in Time » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:20 pm

Fats Domino :cry:
Dreaming a temporary world improving the default world

Not expressing yourself but embracing all other expressions is The Challenge

...I can make anything I can imagine . . . I just can't make _some_ things happen

Have some Free will

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:29 am

Malcolm Young

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/news/acdc-co-founder-guitarist-malcolm-young-dies-age-64/

Malcolm Young, who co-founded the Australian hard rock band AC/DC with his younger brother Angus, has died aged 64.
Older brother George Young, the Easybeats guitarist and AC/DC's longtime producer, also died just a few weeks ago, in October, at the age of 70.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:50 am

Mel Tillis aged 85 years
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

cranberries
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Hibernaculum

Post by cranberries » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:26 pm

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:20 pm

Lulu, an organizer of one of the camps I participated in passed in November- https://www.facebook.com/louloubeear. She was a fierce organizer off the playa in addition to making our camp.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:46 am

I’m very sorry for your loss. Sounds like the world lost a good person
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:24 am

sorry for your loss, SSE. damn it all.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Thecatman
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Post by Thecatman » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:05 pm

Heather Menzies-Urich third from right, better known as Louisa on The Sound of Music. 68
My cats are cuter than your grandkids!

"Government is not the solution to our problems, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:53 am

"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:39 pm

Ray Thomas, of The Moody Blues ..

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:28 am

Frida Be You & Me

some seeing eye

Post by some seeing eye » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:33 am

Joe Frank spoken word artist August 19, 1938 – January 15, 2018.

He's out there somewhere...

It's great road trip music. Hypnotic late night listening. Glad for suggestions of similar artists working today.

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:59 am

The real Rosie........RIP.
We-Can-Do-It-Rosie-the-Riveter-Wallpaper-2-AB.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:32 am

FIGJAM wrote:The real Rosie........RIP.

We-Can-Do-It-Rosie-the-Riveter-Wallpaper-2-AB.jpg
PLUS one

some seeing eye

Post by some seeing eye » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:49 pm

But for ePlaya, I would never have known Rosie lived in Longview, WA. Thanks!

Feminist fantasy and science fiction writer Ursula K Le Guin - October 21, 1929 – January 22, 2018 - passed yesterday.

She would have been a welcome burner.

She was not afraid to call out commodification of literature.

Ursula K. Le Guin, the immensely popular author who brought literary depth and a tough-minded feminist sensibility to science fiction and fantasy with books like “The Left Hand of Darkness” and the Earthsea series, died on Monday at her home in Portland, Ore. She was 88.

Her son, Theo Downes-Le Guin, confirmed the death. He did not specify a cause but said she had been in poor health for several months.

Ms. Le Guin embraced the standard themes of her chosen genres: sorcery and dragons, spaceships and planetary conflict. But even when her protagonists are male, they avoid the macho posturing of so many science fiction and fantasy heroes. The conflicts they face are typically rooted in a clash of cultures and resolved more by conciliation and self-sacrifice than by swordplay or space battles.

Her books have been translated into more than 40 languages and have sold millions of copies worldwide. Several, including “The Left Hand of Darkness” — set on a planet where the customary gender distinctions do not apply — have been in print for almost 50 years. The critic Harold Bloom lauded Ms. Le Guin as “a superbly imaginative creator and major stylist” who “has raised fantasy into high literature for our time.”
Continue reading the main story

In addition to more than 20 novels, she was the author of a dozen books of poetry, more than 100 short stories (collected in multiple volumes), seven collections of essays, 13 books for children and five volumes of translation, including the Tao Te Ching of Lao Tzu and selected poems by the Chilean Nobel Prize winner Gabriela Mistral. She also wrote a guide for writers.

Ms. Le Guin’s fictions range from young-adult adventures to wry philosophical fables. They combine compelling stories, rigorous narrative logic and a lean but lyrical style to draw readers into what she called the “inner lands” of the imagination. Such writing, she believed, could be a moral force.

“If you cannot or will not imagine the results of your actions, there’s no way you can act morally or responsibly,” she told The Guardian in an interview in 2005. “Little kids can’t do it; babies are morally monsters — completely greedy. Their imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.”

The writer’s “pleasant duty,” she said, is to ply the reader’s imagination with “the best and purest nourishment that it can absorb.”

She was born Ursula Kroeber in Berkeley, Calif., on Oct. 21, 1929, the youngest of four children and the only daughter of two anthropologists, Alfred L. Kroeber and Theodora Quinn Kroeber. Her father was an expert on the Native Americans of California, and her mother wrote an acclaimed book, “Ishi in Two Worlds” (1960), about the life and death of California’s “last wild Indian.”

At a young age, Ms. Le Guin immersed herself in books about mythology, among them James Frazier’s “The Golden Bough,” classic fantasies like Lord Dunsany’s “A Dreamer’s Tales,” and the science-fiction magazines of the day. But in early adolescence she lost interest in science fiction, because, she recalled, the stories “seemed to be all about hardware and soldiers: White men go forth and conquer the universe.”

She graduated from Radcliffe College in 1951, earned a master’s degree in romance literature of the Middle Ages and Renaissance from Columbia University in 1952, and won a Fulbright fellowship to study in Paris. There she met and married another Fulbright scholar, Charles Le Guin, who survives her.

On their return to the United States, she abandoned her graduate studies to raise a family; the Le Guins eventually settled in Portland, where Mr. Le Guin taught history at Portland State University.

Besides her husband and son, Ms. Le Guin is survived by two daughters, Caroline and Elisabeth Le Guin; two brothers, Theodore and Clifton Kroeber; and four grandchildren.

By the early 1960s Ms. Le Guin had written five unpublished novels, mostly set in an imaginary Central European country called Orsinia. Eager to find a more welcoming market, she decided to try her hand at genre fiction.

Her first science-fiction novel, “Rocannon’s World,” came out in 1966. Two years later she published “A Wizard of Earthsea,” the first in a series about a made-up world where the practice of magic is as precise as any science, and as morally ambiguous.

The first three Earthsea books — the other two were “The Tombs of Atuan” (1971) and “The Farthest Shore” (1972) — were written, at the request of her publisher, for young adults. But their grand scale and elevated style betray no trace of writing down to an audience.

The magic of Earthsea is language-driven: Wizards gain power over people and things by knowing their “true names.” Ms. Le Guin took this discipline seriously in naming her own characters. “I must find the right name or I cannot get on with the story,” she said. “I cannot write the story if the name is wrong.”

The Earthsea series was clearly influenced by J. R. R. Tolkien’s “The Lord of the Rings” trilogy. But instead of a holy war between Good and Evil, Ms. Le Guin’s stories are organized around a search for “balance” among competing forces — a concept she adapted from her lifelong study of Taoist texts.

She returned to Earthsea later in her career, extending and deepening the trilogy with books like “Tehanu” (1990) and “The Other Wind” (2001), written for a general audience.

“The Left Hand of Darkness,” published in 1969, takes place on a planet called Gethen, where people are neither male nor female but assume the attributes of either sex during brief periods of reproductive fervor. Speaking with an anthropological dispassion, Ms. Le Guin later referred to her novel as a “thought experiment” designed to explore the nature of human societies.

“I eliminated gender to find out what was left,” she told The Guardian.

But there is nothing dispassionate about the relationship at the core of the book, between an androgynous native of Gethen and a human male from Earth. The book won the two major prizes in science fiction, the Hugo and Nebula awards, and is widely taught in secondary schools and colleges.

Much of Ms. Le Guin’s science fiction has a common background: a loosely knit confederation of worlds known as the Ekumen. This was founded by an ancient people who seeded humans on habitable planets throughout the galaxy — including Gethen, Earth and the twin worlds of her most ambitious novel, “The Dispossessed,” subtitled “An Ambiguous Utopia” (1974).

As the subtitle implies, “The Dispossessed” contrasts two forms of social organization: a messy but vibrant capitalist society, which oppresses its underclass, and a classless “utopia” (partly based on the ideas of the Russian anarchist Peter Kropotkin), which turns out to be oppressive in its own conformist way. Ms. Le Guin leaves it up to the reader to find a comfortable balance between the two.

“The Lathe of Heaven” (1971) offers a very different take on utopian ambitions. A man whose dreams can alter reality falls under the sway of a psychiatrist, who usurps this power to conjure his own vision of a perfect world, with unfortunate results.

“The Lathe of Heaven” was among the few books by Ms. Le Guin that have been adapted for film or television. There were two made-for-television versions, one on PBS in 1980 and the other on the A&E cable channel in 2002.

Among the other adaptations of her work were the 2006 Japanese animated feature “Tales From Earthsea” and a 2004 mini-series on the Sci Fi channel, “Legend of Earthsea.”

With the exception of the 1980 “Lathe of Heaven,” she had little good to say about any of them.

Ms. Le Guin always considered herself a feminist, even when genre conventions led her to center her books on male heroes. Her later works, like the additions to the Earthsea series and such Ekumen tales as “Four Ways to Forgiveness” (1995) and “The Telling” (2000), are mostly told from a female point of view.

In some of her later books, she gave in to a tendency toward didacticism, as if she were losing patience with humanity for not learning the hard lessons — about the need for balance and compassion — that her best work so astutely embodies.

At the 2014 National Book Awards, Ms. Le Guin was given the Medal for Distinguished Contribution to American Letters. She accepted the medal on behalf of her fellow writers of fantasy and science fiction, who, she said, had been “excluded from literature for so long” while literary honors went to the “so-called realists.”

She also urged publishers and writers not to put too much emphasis on profits.

“I have had a long career and a good one,” she said, adding, “Here at the end of it, I really don’t want to watch American literature get sold down the river.”

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:09 pm

RIP Simon Shelton (Tinky Winky)
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:00 am

Frida Be You & Me

Traveller in Time

Post by Traveller in Time » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:04 am

some seeing eye wrote:But for ePlaya, I would never have known Rosie lived in Longview, WA. Thanks!

Feminist fantasy and science fiction writer Ursula K Le Guin - October 21, 1929 – January 22, 2018 - passed yesterday.

.. long story

“I have had a long career and a good one,” she said, adding, “Here at the end of it, I really don’t want to watch American literature get sold down the river.”
Thanks, now I have read the Earthsea again (first physical books in years)

...I can make anything I can imagine . . . I just can't make _some_ things happen

Have some Free will

tatonka
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Post by tatonka » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:40 pm

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special."

~Stephen Hawking
1942 - 2018
Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed by the masses.
-Plato

If a good man is offered power , he has to lower himself to pick it up .

Perpetual Burn

Post by Perpetual Burn » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:47 pm

"We are all different, but we share the same human spirit."

"Life would be tragic if it weren't funny."

"In my opinion, there is no aspect of reality beyond the reach of the human mind."

Blast off in Peace
Funfinity manifeats Mettatacular phazes
Dancipate white hazes of purple sea dazes
Swiminfinite Dust as Defaultia lusts
Unpossibility reigns nonlimited mindbusts
Rollbliterate ego ~n~ drop dosasses Monases
Spuntaneous artkarmaval ~ Burn Bright, All

burner von braun
Burning Since: 2010

Post by burner von braun » Sat May 26, 2018 2:03 pm

Artist and Apollo moonwalker Alan Bean

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sun May 27, 2018 7:05 am

Frida Be You & Me

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Sun May 27, 2018 9:44 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:ted dabney, the man behind PONG

https://www.engadget.com/2018/05/27/ata ... bney-dies/
Yes !

tatonka
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Post by tatonka » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:23 am

Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed by the masses.
-Plato

If a good man is offered power , he has to lower himself to pick it up .

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:31 am

My long-time best friend/campmate/BM travel partner
Kelly Linehan (“Hotlips”)... she passed away yesterday, on her wife’s birthday. Cancer.
She was in my original camp Johnny & the Playa Cruizers in the early ‘00s.
Over the years we were in Black Rock Spatial Delivery, her own camp Sparkle Pony Camp, and Fish Out Of Water, which she took over last year.
She was the kind of person who would get coffee at a drive through and have them put whatever the car behind her ordered on her tab.
She was the Land Yacht’s coxswain.
She had a zillion friends - real ones not FB “friends”, and her door was always open whenever you were in town (Portland).
When I went through various life bullshit, she’d let me bitch as much as I wanted and never pointed out when sometimes I might have been the dumbass.

Goddammit....
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Traveller in Time

Post by Traveller in Time » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:45 am

Hanabiko "Koko"
1971-7-4 -- 2018-6-19
sign language "speaking" Gorilla

Have some Free will

lucky420
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:35 pm

Im very sorry for your loss Captain
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

some seeing eye

Post by some seeing eye » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:37 pm

Captain, your friend sounds like a person we would have all loved. It takes time to process a passing, take it with asks.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:06 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:31 am
Goddammit....
A true friend.
Some people burn bright.
That's one hell of a Godammit...

Return to “Open Discussion”