Would you bounce?

All things outside of Burning Man.
Bronwen

Would you bounce?

Post by Bronwen » Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:21 am

If there were an inflatable bouncy house at Burning Man, would you want to jump on it? It is only me who thinks it's unfair that kids get to have ALL the fun on those things?

If you got to choose, would you rather jump on a bouncy house or go on an inflatable slide? The first two people to ride might get a water slide, the rest would be having mud slides....

What you think? Should I buy/beg for/borrow/steal one?

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:48 am

Can those houses take the pressure of multiple grown ups jumping? Will they take the uv light?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Bronwen

Post by Bronwen » Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:51 am

There is a very small selection capable of taking the weight, although we couldnt have 40 people bouncing around at one time. The light shouldnt be an issue since those things (the commercial ones) are designed for years of outdoor use and abuse.

So assuming it were possible to have adults jumping, in the sunshine, would you do it?

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:59 am

I probably would.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

geekster

Post by geekster » Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:44 am

How are you going to keep it from filling up with playa dust inside the inflated part?
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Re: Would you bounce?

Post by Bob » Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:56 am

Bronwen wrote:If there were an inflatable bouncy house....
You're "architecture" students?

Really?
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

emily sparkle

Post by emily sparkle » Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:25 am

i LOVE those bouncy things. actually, let me correct myself, i LOVE laying in them while more coordinated people jump around acrobatically. i went to a loft party once in boston that had one of those... these two guys were doing flips over me at the same time. i never laughed so hard in my life.
:) emily sparkle
eplaya administrator
___

mobilize, energize, motivate, INSPIRE ordinary people to do things to improve their quality of life.
- nobel peace prize winner, wangari maathai

actiongrl

Post by actiongrl » Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:44 pm

I can see it with its own little white out around it, constantly, like Pig Pen in the Peanuts comics.

Think you might ruin your bounce house and its fan, there, Bronwen.

stuart

Post by stuart » Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:01 pm

the bouncy bouncy club, out of L.A. takes one out there.
call me baby

Bronwen

Post by Bronwen » Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:03 pm

How on earth did I manage to miss the bouncy bouncy club?! I am glad to hear that someone else has managed to have one of those things out there. :shock:

I dont particularly care whether the bouncy thing makes it home in one functioning piece or not. It seems to me that taking precious things you want to survive to BM might not be the best plan.

And yes, bob, we are in fact architecture students who go to a real architecture school and do real architecture stuff. And sometimes, shockingly, we like to have fun too! I know it's scandalous but students are expected to do crazy things sometimes.

So anyway, the point of this question was not 'is this practical" but rather, assuming we're bright enough to figure out how to make it work, WOULD YOU WANT TO BOUNCE?!

Thanks Emily, for your response. I'd probably join you in lounging on the thing while people leap around... If I can drag them away from examining the motor and fan long enough to enjoy themselves. :lol:

Chai Guy

Post by Chai Guy » Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:01 pm

For my color blind brothers and sisters-
How on earth did I manage to miss the bouncy bouncy club?! I am glad to hear that someone else has managed to have one of those things out there.

I dont particularly care whether the bouncy thing makes it home in one functioning piece or not. It seems to me that taking precious things you want to survive to BM might not be the best plan.

And yes, bob, we are in fact architecture students who go to a real architecture school and do real architecture stuff. And sometimes, shockingly, we like to have fun too! I know it's scandalous but students are expected to do crazy things sometimes.

So anyway, the point of this question was not 'is this practical" but rather, assuming we're bright enough to figure out how to make it work, WOULD YOU WANT TO BOUNCE?!

Thanks Emily, for your response. I'd probably join you in lounging on the thing while people leap around... If I can drag them away from examining the motor and fan long enough to enjoy themselves.

Bob

Post by Bob » Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:47 pm

Guess I'd assumed you represented yourselves as architecture students for a reason... eg building a theme camp, not renting one. The blowers that go with those bouncy things are fucking annoying, btw.

Bronwen

Post by Bronwen » Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:33 pm

Bob, you thought the entire concept for the camp was a rented bouncy house? That is really rather sad. It was an idea for an added bit of fun for the camp, not the foundation of the entire thing! And it wouldnt be rented, I would have to aquire it some other way. The rest of the camp is being designed and built by the students. All I was doing was trying to find out if anyone would enjoy playing around on a bounce house. I can tell that you wouldnt. I guess the annoying sound of a blower is a whole lot worse than generators and pounding techno from 6pm to 11am for a week....

Chai Guy are you stalking me? You need a little sweetener in your tea...

Last Real Burner

Fire...Fire.... Goddamnit I Said FIRE!!!!!!............

Post by Last Real Burner » Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:38 am

Bronwen wrote:I guess the annoying sound of a blower is a whole lot worse than generators and pounding techno from 6pm to 11am for a week....
Sounds like the lesser of two evils, Bronwen.... however, one can be easily prevented if you plan early enough. ie electric fans hooked to solar panels fer instance.

Hey what other kinds of stuff are you guys doing for you're camp? How many students are there going to be to help you arange building it? How big is this theme camp? Have most or all of you already got your tickets? How are you hauling it there? What's your burn plan so far? What kind of greywater system you guys running? This is a Leave No Trace Event or what I call "ultra-green". I'm planning on doing some experimental architectual stuff this year as well.

Be kind to bob son, he's gonna be one of you're bestest pals in a little bit, when you're gonna need real world (burningman real) answers to some of the questions you're gonna be asking soon, like wind shear ratios in the desert?, what's the best body paint?, where can I get those blinky things cheap?, muli-tier platform structures weightload references?, how do I make a bigass flamethrower?, what's a whiteout?, blah?, blah?, blah?. He's one of the real technical geeks here on the board, with a lot of well earned wisdom. Always remember to make freinds before you make enemies

on a lighter note, Whatever you plan on doing in the desert at the burning man festival remember two things 1. Allow for "playa flake"or be prepared to do "everything" you planned on others to do, plan on doing it yourself. 2. Be prepared to be apart of someoneelse's experience.

you're bestest friend,
me
"Do you know what happened to the boy who got everything he wished for? - He lived happily ever after".

HughMungus

Post by HughMungus » Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:25 am

Bronwen wrote:
So assuming it were possible to have adults jumping, in the sunshine, would you do it?
Definitely. Do it.
It's what you make it.

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:45 am

do'nt fans suck & blow dust? Please camp w\the amper.
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

Martiansky
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: --->Hushville

Post by Martiansky » Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:06 pm

Heck Yeah! I'd bounce for the sake of bouncing!!
The kids shouldn't be the only ones to get to bounce!
So the theme this year is like a giant camp out in the desert? With people bringing lots of shit from all over? uh.. -Marscrumbs

Bob

Post by Bob » Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:15 pm

Perfect.

Tancorix

Post by Tancorix » Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:50 pm

That looks like fun but after the first good dust storm I'd hate to clean that thing. And if it's not anchored down right I can imagine the FAA tracking that as an airspace violator.

Bronwen

Post by Bronwen » Sat Apr 02, 2005 4:48 pm

I love the smily face Bob. I also liked this one:

It reminds me of a hotdog! (?)

Obviously these things would have to be anchored so as to avoid being mistaken for a UFO. That could start all kinds of stories about what goes on at BM. :shock:

As for cleaning it, I wouldnt. That would be futile since nothing on the playa seems to escape a dust shroud. Part of the allure?

sputnik
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Ubercarney

Post by sputnik » Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:31 pm

Fill it with helium and tether it 30 feet off the ground for a real experience

Zulegoona

Post by Zulegoona » Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:35 pm

Fill it with Hydrogen and tether it 30 feet off the ground for a really different experience

sputnik

Post by sputnik » Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:37 pm

The moop after that blow will be hell to cleanup.

Tancorix

Post by Tancorix » Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:38 pm

It's a little more than 30 ft up but still....

Zulegoona

Post by Zulegoona » Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:46 pm

Fill it with Hydrogen and tether it 30 feet off the ground for a really different experience

Zulegoona

Post by Zulegoona » Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:46 pm

with out combining the Hydrogen with oxygen in the bouncy house it would burn slowly like a certain airship we all recall the envelope would melt and stick to the jumpers and those under it. the moop would be contained,.... but it would be a real mess anyway,.. I think I'd advise agents it.

Bronwen

Post by Bronwen » Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:36 am

Although I appreciate the intriguing and sadistic nature of the responses suggesting helium and hydrogen filled bouncers, I unfortunately must decline to do that. After all, most people wouldnt want to climb the 30 feet of stairs.... :twisted:

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:58 am

Bronwen wrote:Although I appreciate the intriguing and sadistic nature of the responses suggesting helium and hydrogen filled bouncers, I unfortunately must decline to do that. After all, most people wouldnt want to climb the 30 feet of stairs.... :twisted:
_
There is enough hot air in this thread to run a baloon lift.
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

sputnik

Post by sputnik » Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:10 am

I think a lot of people would climb up.

Tancorix

Post by Tancorix » Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:14 am

I know a bunch of people climbed up for the zip slide or whatever the rope thingee was over on the 10:00 side of the city last year. And I'd say that was at least 30 ft high.

Return to “Open Discussion”