The What Where When book

All things outside of Burning Man.
Elliot
Burning Since: 2006

The What Where When book

Post by Elliot » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:43 pm

Am I the only one who reads the What Where When in mid-September? Eleven Burns, and I have never had time to look at it on Playa. Then in September, I kick myself for failing to know about something I would very much have wanted to participate in.
But I can look for the same, or a similar, activity the next year.

Solution? Well, a question: Would it be realistic to mail the silly thing out a couple weeks beforehand? This would make the book... actually serve a purpose that year.

In other news.... I hauled a combined 105 feet of Stuff home from the Playa in September -- yet, there was not a single 2017 What Where When book aboard. Anybody have one they could part with? Does not need to be mint -- only legible. I have Survival Guides to trade -- mint ones.
Thanks!

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Re: The What Where When book

Post by gaminwench » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:52 pm

I'll send you mine, Elliot.

The complete WWW is available online (not just the 1500 or so events that make the book) in advance and it is searchable. :shock:
(Not that you have any time to spare before the burn 8) , just sharing info)
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006

Post by Elliot » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:37 am

:!:
Jaye, you are a Princess of generosity! I will PM my address.

And thanks for reminding me of the online version. I must make a note on my calendar about that.

Thus, both my concerns have been resolved!

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:00 pm

The Burning Man Org database holds all the events participants contribute. It can be downloaded through an API by geeks.

Then people make mobile device apps which can include the What, When, Where. https://innovate.burningman.org/. YMMV on which apps work completely disconnected from the Internet, say airline mode.

One geek created an events download to Excel http://www.justin-klein.com/playaevents-excel-exporter/. At over 3600 events in 2016, that's a lot of printer paper.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Return to “Open Discussion”