Best thing you ever saw

All things outside of Burning Man.
1durphul

Best thing you ever saw

Post by 1durphul » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:47 am

So, many of us here have been to lots of burns. I've been to 12. I've seen a lot of great art.

So, in all those years you've gone. What's been your favourite thing (or event) out there?

TT120
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Re: Best thing you ever saw

Post by TT120 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:24 pm

Was out in deep Playa late one night and ran across a small dive bar that had a few tables and full bottle service. The bartender was in a tux and the waitresses were equally dressed very classy. We had a group of 4 and waited to be seated. When it was our turn, the hostess split us up to 4 separate tables which surprised us but ended up being awesome! We were "forced" to interact with other burners and it turned out to be one of the most awesome experiences I've ever had. I had a very delicious and dry martini in a real martini glass and when I was done, was ushered out so another burner could sit down.

Another time I was heading out to the Playa and found a large 2 story structure with people throwing dusty pillows at each other. The people on the second level had a clear advantage but those of us on the ground weren't letting them have that easy of a time of it. I threw pillows until I couldn't throw anymore. Was a fucking BLAST!

Was walking down the street one night and came across a guy unloading an art car he had just built out of an old WWII fighter plane. He had cut it down, installed lights and a loud as hell sound system and small gas engines on the wheels to make it go. He was all smiles and asked if we wanted a ride. Of course we said yes and he was giddy. Turns out we were the first "burners" he's ever given a ride to in his brand new art car. He was a burgin last year and was so impressed, he had to build his own art car and we were his first. He was sooooo happy!
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:31 pm

Platform Boots, Booty Shorts, and braids.

Never gets old, never disappoints.

And shirtcocking ... jams culture like nothing else. Always glorious to see and score.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:46 pm

So hard to explain. there was an art project that projected light on the ground going in a circle. If you ran 'with' it you seemed to fly like the wind. 'Against' it you had to struggle as if up stream. My all time favorite interactive art.

Picture a night with NO moon. Biking along in deep playa with just your headlight. Your mind plays tricks on you. Are you on a trail? Are there bushes to each side? Can you fall off of a cliff if you wander? Just a minute. What is that? An igloo. With a guy laying in it listening to music. (I stopped and walked around it to be sure.) Barreling along at an unreasonable speed I hit a flexible wall. Who's laughing? I can't see shit. What are all you guys doing out here? Where is here? What's the trash fence? What is that light way off in the distance? Why can't we go there? Beer? Fuck yea.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

TT120
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Post by TT120 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:57 am

I've seen those bushes.....WTF is up with that???
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:33 pm

Best thing I ever saw is an impossible decision. Best thing I saw in a single day might be easier.

But I have to say: the Friday sunset from the top of the Man's tower in 2008, right before they closed it for the rest of the week. It was a beautiful evening.
*** 2017 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Post by motskyroonmatick » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:31 pm

The fire ball of Crude Awakening with the huge metal sculptures in front and people in the crowd screaming in fear and jubilation. (one of them)
Black Rock City Welding and Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:28 am

motskyroonmatick wrote:The fire ball of Crude Awakening with the huge metal sculptures in front and people in the crowd screaming in fear and jubilation. (one of them)
I was going to say this^^^^^
the "rocket" was pretty cool, but that's because someone dosed me with (I think?) acid.... So I'm sticking with Crude Awakenings, because it was on purpose.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

ACfromSAC
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: SLAYER!

Post by ACfromSAC » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:16 pm

Crude Awakening is the best thing I ever missed. Looks amazing in the videos.

Best thing I ever saw was the playa for the first time on the first night of my first burn. Pedaling out from camp after finishing our set up after dark, crossing the esplanade for the first time and seeing the splendor of the playa at night. Art cars cruising the horizon, lights moving in all directions, the thumping beats of all of the different music, flames billowing, lasers in the distance and overhead, massive foreign looking structures dotting the open playa, the contrast of the pitch black sky and playa being filled with what looked like a constellation of weird and uniquely Burning Man shit everywhere I focused my gaze. I will never forget that first ride out. I've seen a lot of very cool stuff over the years, but taking in the totality of BRC at night for the first time will never be topped by any single thing I see out there... or possibly anywhere.

AntiM
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:44 pm

First year, headed to the pottys predawn, then walked out onto the open esplanade where I could see the man, a red heart on a triangle, the plastic chapel and a lighted dome. For some reason it was a moment of still and quiet that stuck with me.

17 burns, most of the magic was deep playa and small installations, or small backstreet camps, or roving with our tiny pack. There is no best.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:14 pm

Don’t I remember right that there used to be huge fire cannons around the man in about ‘00 or ‘01? I’m almost sure I remember that.
Best thing I ever saw was Unjonharley getting the hell off my boat.
Oh wait, I never did see that.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

Token

Post by Token » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:41 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:Don’t I remember right that there used to be huge fire cannons around the man in about ‘00 or ‘01? I’m almost sure I remember that.
Best thing I ever saw was Unjonharley getting the hell off my boat.
Oh wait, I never did see that.
01 was the big ass kerosene pressurized via LPG blasts before the man burn.

They regurgitated that a bunch of years later as the “to bleve” gizmo.

And as AC said, True Awakening- the whole package, not just the oil derric burn, was rather epic.

For me personally, as an all knowing Cliff Claven kind of guy, Uchronia was such a surprise that it scared the psyche. Ditto for the AstroTurf slide.

Can neither confirm nor deny any Unjohn stories or rumors.

motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Post by motskyroonmatick » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:19 pm

I've got to agree that Uchronia was really spectacular. The scale was phenomenal and the construction technique was kinda iffy. The music was terrible but that was great in that it was more of an experience than say having the entire place filled with ravers. The lighting was phenomenal and the burn is still one of my favorites. I really loved how the crowd spontaneously grabbed the pieces of the perimeter fence and carried and then chucked them in to the fire once perimeter was down. All those vertical boards marching toward the fire was quite a sight.
Black Rock City Welding and Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

1durphul

Post by 1durphul » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:09 am

motskyroonmatick wrote:I've got to agree that Uchronia was really spectacular.
It really was. I remember the first night at the burn that year, I saw Uchronia out on the horizon, flashing from the lighting. I thought it was a cloud off over Winnemucca with lightning.

2004's Alien Semaphore was one of my favourites. It was so simple, but from far away it was so interesting. Nothing more than fluorescent tubes on wheels, and an interface to send messages.

Also that years man burn, while the pavilion itself with it's wooden geodesic dome was a bit uninspired, when it burnt it was beautiful. Each of those supports in the dome glowed red and orange. Really lovely.

There was also a video that Opulent Temple was running in I think it was 2007 or 2008 which had this ironic American patriotism thing with girls in vaguely militaristic bathing suits and military caps getting suggestive with automatic rifles and the American flag. It was so bizarre and such a great commentary on America. It really stuck in my mind for years afterwords. (I really dislike the dance camps, and I'm gay so it's not about the women either, so when I say this was impressive, I really mean it)
Last edited by 1durphul on Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

1durphul

Post by 1durphul » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:13 am

One more, 2007 or 2008 I think, I guess this counts as an "art car" but it had no motor. It was a three story tall wooden structure, where on the second floor was basically a really decked out Middle Eastern themed lounge area. There was a woman standing at the rails dressed like some sort of princess. And this giant structure was being pulled through the streets by random passersby who grabbed the thick ropes in teams of literally 10-20 people. It was amazing, and I only saw it the one time. I have never seen a photo of it, or ever heard anybody else ever talk about it. I wish I knew it's name.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:54 pm

1durphul wrote:One more, 2007 or 2008 I think, I guess this counts as an "art car" but it had no motor. It was a three story tall wooden structure, where on the second floor was basically a really decked out Middle Eastern themed lounge area. There was a woman standing at the rails dressed like some sort of princess. And this giant structure was being pulled through the streets by random passersby who grabbed the thick ropes in teams of literally 10-20 people. It was amazing, and I only saw it the one time. I have never seen a photo of it, or ever heard anybody else ever talk about it. I wish I knew it's name.
Sounds amazing! . . . I wish I knew what it was, too. :)
*** 2017 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Perpetual Burn
Burning Since: 2021

Post by Perpetual Burn » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:12 pm

The Lady that Lives in a Shoe

So, a few years ago, my first Burn, I see this giant Boot in the middle of the Playa... I walk up to to see a small door entering the side of the boot... when you walk in you turn to the toe of the boot where there is a table with all kinds of children's story books on the table and shelfs like a little library. Then you climb up the stairs and along the way are these little carved out holes with 3D depictions from scenes from children's stories.

When I got to the top there was a beautiful lady dressed like Cinderella waiting to greet me with a giant hug... then you exit the upper deck of the shoe down these glorious silver steps in the shape of leaves on a giant beanstock.

It was such a quaint surprise that brought up stories from youthful days... it just looked like a metal boot from the outside, but made you feel like a child inside. Intricate interactive surprise at its finest... Burning Man. :mrgreen:
I and I, Robot
Of Love, Logos, Providence
Protector of Karma, Lord of Nirvana
Of Divine Immanence
Infinite Burn, Eternal Grace
God Speed

Return to “Open Discussion”