Even more Black Rock necklaces!!!

All things outside of Burning Man.
HughMungus

Even more Black Rock necklaces!!!

Post by HughMungus » Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:38 am

This is the fifth set. Just pick one, PM me the number of the one you want with your mailing address and I'll mail it out.

http://www.dailyfoo.com/necklaces/necklaces5a.jpg
http://www.dailyfoo.com/necklaces/necklaces5b.jpg
http://www.dailyfoo.com/necklaces/necklaces5c.jpg
http://www.dailyfoo.com/necklaces/necklaces5d.jpg
http://www.dailyfoo.com/necklaces/necklaces5e.jpg

Please read:

If there is a necklace with no number, that means it's already been taken.

Note the length compared to the ruler. You might want to measure your neck to make sure they'll fit. Some are longer than others.

Numbers 33-36 are stones that our very own Geekster polished for me in his tumbler (thanks a million Geekster!). I have more polished stones but I just haven't strung them yet so if they all go away and you want a polished one, let me know and I'll string one for ya.

If you already have one and you want a better one (since my skillz have increased slightly since I started doing this), let me know and you can send back the old one and I'll send you a new one.

If you've requested one and I never sent it out, pick again because I re-strung some of the old ones that I'd never sent out.
It's what you make it.

ibdave
Burning Since: 1998

Post by ibdave » Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:03 pm

Dallas, I got mine a few months ago and never said Thanks.. So. Thank you. I looks like I can't make my 8th year, so, I'll be wearing it all week of the burn.. Thanks again.. Dave
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg

Prime Duchess

Post by Prime Duchess » Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:35 pm

Wow those are cool. I was thinking of doing something similar, after I get back from the burn. This is my first year.
How much are those or whats the trade?
I'd love any of the ones 32-36, if you still have those.

HughMungus

Post by HughMungus » Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:39 pm

Prime Duchess wrote:Wow those are cool. I was thinking of doing something similar, after I get back from the burn. This is my first year.
How much are those or whats the trade?
I'd love any of the ones 32-36, if you still have those.
They're free. I'll put it in today's mail. I don't expect anything in return. I've enjoyed making them and I'm happy just to give people a little souvenir. However, if you would like to give me pics and phone numbers of all your female friends who are aged 27 to 37, I would take that.

Maybe you can come make some with us at our camp (I'm bringing the drill press and beading materials this year).
It's what you make it.

Prime Duchess

Post by Prime Duchess » Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:30 pm

Awesome, thanks!
Unfortunately I have like 4 female friends and they are all taken Oh and I dotn think any of them are 27-37.
I'd love to make some with ya at your camp, sounds fun.
Which camp?

HughMungus

Post by HughMungus » Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:53 am

No camp name yet. The working camp name is "Black Rock Necklace Camp". I'll be contacting everyone who i sent a necklace to with the name...and I'm sure they'll be an eplaya meetup out there (right guys?).
Prime Duchess wrote:Awesome, thanks!
Unfortunately I have like 4 female friends and they are all taken Oh and I dotn think any of them are 27-37.
I'd love to make some with ya at your camp, sounds fun.
Which camp?
It's what you make it.

sputnik
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Ubercarney

Post by sputnik » Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:27 pm

DallasPlaya wrote:and I'm sure they'll be an eplaya meetup out there (right guys?).
Right. Thursday evening 6pm at Barbie Death Camp and Wine Bistro.

HughMungus

Post by HughMungus » Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:34 pm

sputnik wrote:
DallasPlaya wrote:and I'm sure they'll be an eplaya meetup out there (right guys?).
Right. Thursday evening 6pm at Barbie Death Camp and Wine Bistro.
Cool. Do they make a list of who is where for the late-comers or no-showers? Let me add that to the suggestion pool.
It's what you make it.

sputnik
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Ubercarney

Post by sputnik » Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:41 pm

DallasPlaya wrote:Cool. Do they make a list of who is where for the late-comers or no-showers? Let me add that to the suggestion pool.
Not sure what you mean? Are you asking if BMORG produces a camp list (yes for theme camps). Or are you asking something else?

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:50 pm

Apparently one year they passed out dummy name tags. . .
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:41 pm

Let me add that to the suggestion pool.
Better yet, take it up as a project of your own.

Martiansky
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: --->Hushville

Post by Martiansky » Mon May 02, 2005 5:39 pm

Dallasplaya, I got my necklace in the mail today! WOOHOO! I immediately put it on and it is perfect!

Thank you SO much!!

I plan on helping you rock hunt while I'm out there this year for sure. I just have to find you!!

HughMungus

Post by HughMungus » Mon May 02, 2005 5:54 pm

No, I mean, let's say you connect with someone here but don't get their info or they don't know where they're going to be camped yet. Someone could create an eplaya playa directory...
sputnik wrote:
DallasPlaya wrote:Cool. Do they make a list of who is where for the late-comers or no-showers? Let me add that to the suggestion pool.
Not sure what you mean? Are you asking if BMORG produces a camp list (yes for theme camps). Or are you asking something else?
It's what you make it.

Martiansky

Post by Martiansky » Wed May 04, 2005 7:21 am

DallasPlaya, I was wondering what type of drill/bit you use to drill the rocks? I thought I saw a thread where it said what you use but didn't find it.

Still wearing the necklace...
*smiles*

HughMungus

Post by HughMungus » Wed May 04, 2005 9:07 am

Tungsten carbide and a somewhat low-speed drill press (250 RPM).

http://store.yahoo.com/drillcity/10pacmetresd.html

Martiansky wrote:DallasPlaya, I was wondering what type of drill/bit you use to drill the rocks? I thought I saw a thread where it said what you use but didn't find it.

Still wearing the necklace...
*smiles*
It's what you make it.

Martiansky

Post by Martiansky » Wed May 04, 2005 11:31 am

Did you get the re-sharpened drill bits?

othereye

Post by othereye » Thu May 05, 2005 9:44 am

WOW. Got my necklace yesterday and danced around the house with glee. It's gorgeous!!!! I've got your bracelet made and will ship it out tomorrow because I left your address at home today. Followed your lead and went in a slightly new direction for this one! I also found a way to make it adjustable, which is truly, awesomely, useful.

ThANkS!!!!!!
"Sometimes, honey, you just have to look reality in the eye and say..... 'what happened to your other eye, dude?!'" - Angela Waversak, as quoted on eriswerks.org

HughMungus

Post by HughMungus » Thu May 05, 2005 10:40 am

Yeah. I figure that since I'm not doing super-accurate machining work, that the resharpened ones are just fine. Cheaper, too.

Are you planning on doing some drilling?
Martiansky wrote:Did you get the re-sharpened drill bits?
It's what you make it.

HughMungus

Post by HughMungus » Thu May 05, 2005 10:40 am

Cool. Now you can tell me how to make the necklaces adjustable... :D
othereye wrote:WOW. Got my necklace yesterday and danced around the house with glee. It's gorgeous!!!! I've got your bracelet made and will ship it out tomorrow because I left your address at home today. Followed your lead and went in a slightly new direction for this one! I also found a way to make it adjustable, which is truly, awesomely, useful.

ThANkS!!!!!!
It's what you make it.

othereye

Post by othereye » Thu May 05, 2005 11:10 am

You need something that kind of functions like a figure-8 boleen!! Fortunately, soda-tabs perform that exact function. I just braided the cord and pulled both ends through a single tab. This will make a LOT more sense when you see it.
"Sometimes, honey, you just have to look reality in the eye and say..... 'what happened to your other eye, dude?!'" - Angela Waversak, as quoted on eriswerks.org

Martiansky

Post by Martiansky » Thu May 05, 2005 11:21 am

Drilling rocks for necklaces would be cool! I just might try it. Be cool to do with small agates, instead of wrapping a bunch of wire around them or gluing a metal (insert correct name here) thingy onto the top for a cord.

I suppose I might have to go buy a drill press... probably would be a bonus to drill my dome struts, too.

HughMungus

Post by HughMungus » Thu May 05, 2005 11:45 am

Yeah, drill presses aren't that expensive. I got the one that I got because the drill speed goes low enough to be able to do the job -- if the drill press spins too high, you'll produce a lot of heat without making much progress.

This is the one I got: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/D ... mber=44836

Martiansky wrote:Drilling rocks for necklaces would be cool! I just might try it. Be cool to do with small agates, instead of wrapping a bunch of wire around them or gluing a metal (insert correct name here) thingy onto the top for a cord.

I suppose I might have to go buy a drill press... probably would be a bonus to drill my dome struts, too.
It's what you make it.

Martiansky

Post by Martiansky » Thu May 05, 2005 11:53 am

DallasPlaya, do you use any cutting oil when you drill rocks?
Thanks for that drill press link....that's about what I had in mind to spend.

HughMungus

Post by HughMungus » Thu May 05, 2005 1:02 pm

No, I don't. But a friend told me I should. I've been doing fine without but in order to stop breaking so many bits, I might try it...the problem is that with oil you get a goopy mess because of the mixture of oil and the tailings from the drilling process.
Martiansky wrote:DallasPlaya, do you use any cutting oil when you drill rocks?
Thanks for that drill press link....that's about what I had in mind to spend.
It's what you make it.

OCCAM'S SLEDGE-O-MATIC

Post by OCCAM'S SLEDGE-O-MATIC » Mon May 09, 2005 2:19 am

Yeah, ya gotta love harbor freight- headlamps for a buck and a half, I looove that place...

Love the necklace too, Dallas, thanks so much! I put it on and immediately felt more grounded and in touch with the earth, haven't taken it off since.

Making love to my wife has been even more incredible than usual lately too. Not sure if the necklace is helping with that or what... ;-p

The wife sends her thanks too!

pops

Post by pops » Mon May 09, 2005 9:58 pm

There's a glass factory here in my town that uses diamond bits and carbide bits to drill their glass art pieces. They use turpentine as a lubricant for the bits and say it extends the life of the bits by about 200 times!! Ya might experiment. Turpentine would wipe away easier than tapping oil. BTW, those are fantastic necklaces!! Way to go!

HughMungus

Post by HughMungus » Tue May 10, 2005 12:43 am

pops wrote:There's a glass factory here in my town that uses diamond bits and carbide bits to drill their glass art pieces. They use turpentine as a lubricant for the bits and say it extends the life of the bits by about 200 times!! Ya might experiment. Turpentine would wipe away easier than tapping oil. BTW, those are fantastic necklaces!! Way to go!
Wow. I don't think I can stand the smell in my space though. Barf.

Thanks.

Thanks Occam.
It's what you make it.

the_iconoclast

Post by the_iconoclast » Tue May 10, 2005 10:05 pm

Wanted to say - finally got the necklace today.. luckily - though I have and 18" neck.. it fits as a nice choker. Apparently the Post Office, at some point trashed the envelope and dumped the necklace.. What I received today was an envelope torn in two and the necklace in a plastic postal service baggie... The necklace rocks and thanks for sending it..

HughMungus

Post by HughMungus » Wed May 11, 2005 8:22 am

Today? What the hell?

If you (or anyone else) decide late it's too small, mail it back (it's 37 cents) and I'll re-string it on a longer string for ya (just PM me for my address).
the_iconoclast wrote:Wanted to say - finally got the necklace today.. luckily - though I have and 18" neck.. it fits as a nice choker. Apparently the Post Office, at some point trashed the envelope and dumped the necklace.. What I received today was an envelope torn in two and the necklace in a plastic postal service baggie... The necklace rocks and thanks for sending it..
It's what you make it.

Return to “Open Discussion”