Hi! I'm doing a report on burning man and would like to ask several questions

All things outside of Burning Man.
ryan1998
Burning Since: I'm not sure

Hi! I'm doing a report on burning man and would like to ask several questions

Postby ryan1998 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 pm

Hello!
I'm Ryan and have been assigned to do an essay on Burners and there experiences with Burning Man. I would like to ask all of you a few questions and would like to hear your expieriences below.
Some of the questions I have are:

What has drawn you to joining/ becoming a burner?
How long have you been interested in burning man?
What is it that you typically do at burning man over the course of your day during the event?
What is your favorite and least favorite part of burning man?
What do you find different and in common with other burners?

Feel free to say anything else you want to say too, all feed back helps me! If you don't want to reply in public, please PM me your response. Also, I was hoping to do several interview with burners over the PM system. Please PM me if you are interested! Thanks and I really am looking foreward to learning about your community!

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Re: Hi! I'm doing a report on burning man and would like to ask several questions

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:16 pm

Generally, burners fucking hate being case-study subjects by non-burners.
EVERYONE who isn’t a burner gets it all wrong and it’s annoying.
That’s the first piece of info you need.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

Grumpy Otter
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Camp We Just Met

Re: Hi! I'm doing a report on burning man and would like to ask several questions

Postby Grumpy Otter » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:40 pm

I have only been once and I would have to say that is probably also the second piece of information you need.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Elderberry » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:52 pm

There's no way anyone can do a report on burning man without having experienced it, no matter how many questions you ask.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Agaton
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Sheep & Wolf Pub

Postby Agaton » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:29 pm

What Elderberry said.
Farted in my wallet; now I have gas money. -Unjonharley

Popeye
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Beaverton

Postby Popeye » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:53 pm

ryan1998 wrote:Hello!

Exactly as everyone else has said. You can't know until you go. This response if mostly meaningless BS and fluff. BM changes from year to year, from one side of the city to the other, from camp to camp.

It's different, it's freeer, no judgement.

I first went in 2013, I wanted to go since about 2005 when I met a man who lived in a fuel tank (true) and he told me about it.

What is it that you typically do at burning man over the course of your day during the event?
Pursue the ooh shiny, talk to people I normally wouldn't, interact.

Favorite arriving. Least favorite leaving.

We are all individuals as I expect you are

Feel free to say anything else you want to say too, all feed back helps me! If you don't want to reply in public, please PM me your response. Also, I was hoping to do several interview with burners over the PM system. Please PM me if you are interested! Thanks and I really am looking foreward to learning about your community!

Interviews? Why should we? Whats in it for us?
Your wording smacks of entitlement. Tell us more about yourself and your reason for doing a report. Where do you live? How old are you? What do you do? What inspired you to do a report on BM?
nobody wants to live in a world with only one flavor...

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Postby Ratty » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:40 am

Do a report on some music festival. There are lots of air headed douches that would love to tell you all about it. Why dont you just go to the BM page and look up the census? This isn't the kind of event that you can report.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

Sham

Postby Sham » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:04 am

I have seen in depth newspaper articles on Burning Man and know immediately that the writer has never stepped foot on the playa. They've watched videos, read articles and books, done interviews and looked at thousands of pictures.

Next is the sophomoric view. After their first year, their hair is still on fire and they are a total expert on every aspect of the event.

Third is the bitter, crusty old veteran who has started attending years ago, and finds it easier to continue attending than to resume a normal life.

My suggestion is for you to buy a ticket and make it a very real goal to attend Burning Man. You could join your local burner group and make a few good friends and connections.

Tell us a bit about yourself. Where are you from? How old are you? What inspires you in life? Don't be intimidated by those other crusty people replying here. In person they are much nicer. 8)

ygmir
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby ygmir » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:47 am

I like cheese
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby AntiM » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:12 am

Moderator note: moved to Open Discussion as that is a better fit than Greeters.

Ratty

Postby Ratty » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:02 am

Hi Ryan. Sorry I wasn't more forth coming with my previous post. You have been assigned to do an essay on Burners and there (sp) experiences with Burning Man. I would like to ask you a few questions and would like to hear your explanations below.
Some of the questions I have are:

Who in their right mind would 'assign' a report on TTITD?
How old are you and when do you expect to come to Burning Man? (Your name indicates that you are a fresh 20 year old.)
How did you find ePlaya in the first place?
Where do you live?
What does your father do for a living?

Perpetual Burn

Postby Perpetual Burn » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:00 pm

Elderberry wrote:There's no way anyone can do a report on burning man without having experienced it, no matter how many questions you ask.

I don't think anyone could do much of a report even if they've been 20 years... it's so diverse, too big to experience it all and changes every year.

Whatever you imagined it's gonna be, or heard it will be like or reported on it, silly... because a giant unicorn dragon is gonna shit rainbows all over your imagination.

---

Initially I wondered why would 80,000 people go to a party* in the middle of a desert... after about 15 minutes I knew, and I still hadn't seen a millionth of it.

*To call Burning Man a party, a festival, an art show, a concert or anything is a misnomer... it's all of those things and a whole lot more... it's Burning Man. When you go you'll know, if haven't you can't.

Wander aimlessly into an infinite abyss of glorious surprise... there are thousands of scheduled events and music lineups, but I've never actually made a schedule or plans out there. My phone goes off at Gate Road, cut off from the default world and I never know what time it is... it's a liberating feeling.

Decommodification! Money and vendors are highly frowned upon, banned pending what you're selling (ice, coffee, gas are among the few acceptable thing,) but you can't sell your art or t-shirts or jewelry... however you will be given more awesome things you ever imagined. Not barter, just gifting.

Least favorite... whinebags... people who complain a porta potty smells... yeah, no shit. Just negativity in general... if you can't be happy in BRC, then God save ya.

Too much to answer... it's a city of 80,000... how could I keep track of what I have in common or not with 80,000 people?

---

In short... your report is futile... you will not "know" what Burning Man is based on some replies on a forum... and if and when you do go, then at best you'll know why you can't know what it is...

It's Burning Man... the name alone has infinite meanings... good luck.
Love calls us Home
Hope restores our Soul
We Burn on the Playa of the
Black Rock Desert
& We fear no evil
for the Man is on our side
Surely Faith & Love will follow
All our Lives
& We will Burn in the House of Love
Forever

Ratty

Postby Ratty » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:08 pm

Captain Goddammit

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:04 pm

Waste of time. He’s never said he has any intention of actually going, no point in even talking about that, other than to point out that without ever going, the “report” will be bird cage liner.
He’s not responded, most likely not even reading any of this.

Unfortunately , without having been there, you’re unqualified to write this and have it be anywhere close to reality, it’s an impossible assignment for a non-burner. So just do it the easy way, make it all up out of your ass. It’ll be just as good as what you’ll come up with after your “research” and less work.

krly
Burning Since: 2018

Postby krly » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:09 pm

You could do a decent report on BM without attending , IF, you were between 18-20 years old during 1967 or 68 (and lived in the SF Bay area) and/or attended Woodstock.

ryan1998

Postby ryan1998 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:31 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I see many of you are wondering about me. Current, I am 19 yrs old, and am from Los Angeles. Our professor wants us to do a report on different subcommunities in our society and do our research by communicating with people invovled in the community, and not by doing articles. Unfortunatly, do to time constraints I am not able to go to BM event. I will discuss the topic with my instructor, as I see it maybe wasn't thought out as well. Thanks for all of your time and feedback!

torrey.smith
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Sextant

Postby torrey.smith » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:30 pm

ryan1998 wrote:What has drawn you to joining/ becoming a burner?
I was dragged kicking and screaming but I took to it right away. I was drawn to the amazing builds and the even more amazing people behind them.

I was aware of it in the 90's but I saw it as my childhood (hippie kid) that I was trying to escape. I first attended in 2012. I founded Sextant in 2013.

I wake up and rally the troops and get ready for the day's activities. We operate a 30 ft Tesla Coil, a 50 ft Tower, a bar in the tower, and a 350 ft Zip-Line. We also like to assist on art projects around the Playa, usually involving helping to ground anchor art against wind loads.

My favorite part is the people who go out to build big art and the people who are willing to be affected by it.

My least favorite part is the reality that as the community grows, it tends to get watered down with rules and entrenched traditions. It's uniquely frustrating to see the radicals of yesteryear telling you how it is when they have no idea what your ambitions might be.

The key is to realize that they are doing their best, and that often goes unrecognized. It's up to each of us to make this community relevant.

The Playa is the ultimate empty canvas for the human spirit.

Burners come from all walks of life, but in general they tend to share the common thread of being willing to be affected and to change. We seem to be searching for something better than what we see around us in our daily lives.

Here's a recent interview I did for the Burner Podcast
Sarge

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Postby gaminwench » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:33 pm

Wew are NOT a subcommunity, bro.

We are META.

Or *not.*
8)
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Simon of the Playa » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:25 am

6202AB8F-466C-4348-9E0C-B2408C16FC8E.jpeg

0B507DA9-87D2-46A5-A0FF-4F7CF9F759A4.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Frida Be You & Me

Sham

Postby Sham » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:06 am

In 20014, I was driving my artcar on one of the farther out streets on the city rings when we came upon a young (20 year old) damsel in distress with a flat tire on her bike. She was distraught as to what happens with a flat tire in the middle of nowhere. Lock up the bike and come with us.

At Burning Man, you pretty much do the exact opposite as you would in the default world. You can start a conversation with complete strangers. Yes, it's ok to go with three guys you don't know while out in the middle of a desert. Turns out she was assigned to write a college paper on (you guessed it) Burning Man. She desperately wanted to become part of the fabric of Burning Man. To be completely engrossed in the whole community. Our camp adopted her. She was up on top of mutant vehicles, having meals with new friends, she got interviews with a few founding fathers of BM. It was everything she was looking for, but absolutely nothing like she expected or envisioned. She participated in the naked bike ride and pub crawl. She stepped completely out of her comfort zone and appeared to love everything about it.

She got welcomed in so warmly because she did all her research, prepared immensely, and showed up to participate first hand. Oh, and she came back the next year and camped with our group with no college papers to write.

Buy the ticket, take the ride.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby AntiM » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:32 am

Well, since we are story telling:

In 2001, I was having a bad year after my oldest brother died. I was looking for art online, part of a college project. I found pictures of art in the desert, and decided to go, bought tickets and printed out the survival guide. The next day, I read an article about BUrning Man in the Triple A Via magazine. I did get online and join the Dioxin email list and learn about the new village Hushville. Other than that, I knew nothing of Burning Man beforehand. It was sheer random luck of the draw. I was interested because it reminded me of the year I lived in Project Artaud in San Francisco back in the 70s. I was right on that, and it really did feel like home in many ways.

See answer above. 2001, by random chance.

Get up, make coffee, put out art for the day on my project. Chat with neighbors. Go wandering about, looking at art. Find some stuff to participate in. Drink at the Golden Cafe. Go back to camp, eat, take down the art for the evening. Sometimes I go to a meet n greet on specific days, practice for RHPS cast one night, and perform on Friday at midnight. Mostly wander around and see what happens. We're more day burners than party all night or chase the music burners.

Favorite: art and people Least: people and theft and creepers

We're at the burn, we do not give a fuck, but we do so with love. Hard to explain, because not everyone is there for the same reasons. The event is so big it is no longer as unifying as it once was.

Simon of the Playa
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Simon of the Playa » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:42 am

Frida Be You & Me

Captain Goddammit

Postby Captain Goddammit » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:20 pm

AntiM wrote:The event is so big it is no longer as unifying as it once was.

All you need to know is in that sentence

Agaton

Postby Agaton » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:12 am

Ryan... by now, a tiny light-bulb should be slowly flickering on, somewhere in your bright young brain.
And what might this new idea be, you ask?

...That we have given you the only possible angle for your impossible report -- namely... well... you have been reading it.

Yes, this would be a bit outside the box of the assignment. And if you can do a good job of that... I expect a smart professor would like it.

Sham

Postby Sham » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:08 pm

Agaton wrote:I expect a smart professor would like it.

Gosh gee willikers, you were doing so well until you got to "smart professor". :shock:

Agaton

Postby Agaton » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:10 pm

Ha ha!
Not to brag, but in my own youth, I routinely turned in essays of half the prescribed length and scored A+ every time.
How?
Because I wrote something a little bit original and thoughtful.

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby some seeing eye » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:12 pm

To the OP: it would be a lot easier to interview people in person for your project. And it would be a lot easier to pick a subculture local to you in LA for in person interviews.

Talk to your prof. Doing online surveys as your only data source for a complex, varied, wacky, mystical, cultish subculture like Burning Man is not going to produce anything useful or deserving of a good grade.

Look up the work of Margaret Mead and work that into your report on another subculture.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

ranger magnum
Camp Name: Outpost Tokyo

Postby ranger magnum » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:15 pm

Just go on YouTube and watch the first page of videos. You will have everything you need.
Praise the Lowered

claybcook
Camp Name: Anonymous Village

Postby claybcook » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:13 pm

I can understand the frustration on both sides of this endeavor. Last year was my Birgin year, so I was just as filled with questions and misgivings and misunderstandings as you are in trying to summarize this event in a paper. I'm a smart guy and I'm good with words and I was 61 last year for my first burn; so I'm not spring chicken. I've been around and traveled the world. BUT, I'd never been to Burning Man.

It is utterly beyond words. I literally had dust on my tongue from walking around with my mouth open. Just as soon as you collect yourself from one astounding vista and regain your composure and seal your lips; you will turn a corner and see something you never imagined possible.

Over and over and over. For a week. And this was only my first, and I only saw a tiny fraction.

It's maybe the worst place on the planet, and yet they welcome you home when you arrive for the first time, and it's not some sarcastic remark.

You are actually home. None of this makes sense, until you've been. Best of luck on your paper, but your Prof really threw you a curve ball.
...extremely gruntled...very ept and full of ruth.

Sham

Postby Sham » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:22 am

There has been an overused explanation to describe Burning Man. It's like trying to describe colors to a blind person.
The amazing people you meet are a huge part of the event, the eye popping sights are another part, and the remote and extreme weather add to the challenges. Your attention to detail in preparation help to pull all the magic together.

A good hint for your report is to watch several videos on Burning Man and write a report from that. Nealy none of the information you write will be accurate, but unless your professor has attended, they will never know the difference. 8)

Return to “Open Discussion”