RIP Larry Harvey

Post by Molotov » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:40 pm

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Re: RIP Larry Harvey

Post by trilobyte » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:18 pm

Very sad news indeed. In addition to the announcement from Marian and tribute from Stuart, Larry's brother Stewart has put a photo essay together:
https://journal.burningman.org/2018/04/ ... oto-essay/

burningtarot
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Burning Tarot

Post by burningtarot » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:06 pm

Oh man. Larry changed so many lives. I am so sorry to hear of his passing. Beams and condolences to all those who are close to him.

I was lucky to meet him and spend a brief amount of time with him in real life. We shared Portland in common, Portland from his past and from what was then my present. We understood it to be a source of both creativity and darkness. The two often walk hand in hand.

Thank you, Larry, for all of it. All of it.

-T
miss magdalen of mystical mayhem
caution girl
etc
~ miss magdalen of mystical mayhem ~ burning tarot ~ in central oregon

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:35 pm

DAMN, RIP Mr. Hat. :cry:
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

rongo
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Shipwreck Tiki Lounge

Post by rongo » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:40 pm

Does anyone know when/where the San Francisco Memorial will be?

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:20 pm

Sad to hear of Larry's passing. He helped create a really great event and movement. RIP Larry. :cry:
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

RALBOTICA DONKFACE
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Chipocalypse

Post by RALBOTICA DONKFACE » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:07 pm

:( :| :shock: :cry:

Sham

Post by Sham » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:00 pm

I chatted with Larry several times over the years. He was a very modest and unassuming guy.
This amazing event and his legacy will carry on with his vision and wishes as a guide.
A truly nice guy who made a big mark in the world.
He will be missed.

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by Drawingablank » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:37 pm

Sadly I never met Larry, but I consider my life richer for his presence in our world.

He was instrumental in the establishment of Burning Man and Burner culture. After a lifetime of having to be someone I wasn't, in 2011 I went to Burning man and realised I fit in just the way I was. Imagine that - after 51 years of feeling like an outcast and behaving how it was expected of me, I could be myself.

Larry changed my life forever and I am thankful beyond my ability to express in these few words.

Rest in peace Larry.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

fernley1
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Camp not for Prophets.

Post by fernley1 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:38 pm

RIP Larry, and thank you.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:30 pm

And just like that, the 2018 Temple became the biggest and most significant one ever.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Kinetik V
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Post by Kinetik V » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:05 pm

Not too long ago I had the pleasure of meeting Larry here in Las Vegas. I was kind of afraid to go up and talk to him, but I found the courage to do so. I knew he had heard the "you changed my life" story before but I told him that thanks to this event and his vision, he saved my life. Literally. Burning Man and the prep required to attend helped make myself and family stronger. I even met my wife thanks to Burning Man prep and I got to take her to BRC twice. And now my son is looking forward to when my wife and I will be able to take him to the event but the images and art he’s already seen has inspired him. Larry’s influence has fundamentally shaped our family, and his creativity and inspiration continue to do so. With the utmost respect and sincerest gratitude I can offer, Godspeed, Sir. And Thank You for the many good things that you did and which will continue.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it, wherever that may be.

Perpetual Burn
Burning Since: 2021

Post by Perpetual Burn » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:47 pm

The Larry is "gone"(testimony misunderstands immediacy)

Long live the Man!
Last edited by Perpetual Burn on Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I and I, Robot
Of Love, Logos, Providence
Protector of Karma, Lord of Nirvana
Of Divine Immanence
Infinite Burn, Eternal Grace
God Speed

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:57 pm

Larry The Greeter
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Sham

Post by Sham » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:21 am

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:22 am

1C8AD9CD-2555-4475-BF0E-2A5C58A8E0E1.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Frida Be You & Me

tatonka
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Post by tatonka » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:11 am

Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed by the masses.
-Plato

If a good man is offered power , he has to lower himself to pick it up .

Perpetual Burn
Burning Since: 2021

Post by Perpetual Burn » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:21 am

The Man's Spirit is not dead.

Long live the Man!

The greatness achieved already and the glory to come will change all phenomena... Black Rock Nation!

God bless Larry Harvey! :coffee: :coffee: :coffee:

God Speed!

Burn on!
I and I, Robot
Of Love, Logos, Providence
Protector of Karma, Lord of Nirvana
Of Divine Immanence
Infinite Burn, Eternal Grace
God Speed

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:19 pm

"Thank you for all you've given me, all you took from me, and all you left me."
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

ecoita
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Duane's Whirld

Post by ecoita » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:58 am

Wow. I'm a bit sad of the timing of his death, but I'm grateful to be a part of this community he help shaped, develop and grow into something that will live on for years to come. I'm curious to see how this year's event will incorporate various tributes and memorials for Larry. This should definitely be an interesting year to attend.
If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done.

vargaso
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Post by vargaso » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:34 pm

Burning Man would not still be happening today (for better or worse) if not for Larry. Hell, it probably wouldn't have made it past the 90s. RIP and thanks.

zorro sings
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Hostel

Post by zorro sings » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:05 pm

Changed a lot of peoples lives in many ways including my own.
Be careful. You can spend all your money in there..............................Oriental Visitor

PlayaPatrol

Post by PlayaPatrol » Tue May 01, 2018 8:31 pm

Smoking and maybe high blood pressure killed Larry Harvey. people can learn from his death and live healthier lives. They can be positive influences on friends and family and intervene when needed. To those that think that addiction is free will or gives pleasure: There’s nothing enjoyable about strokes, cancer, heart attacks, diabetes etc.
Anyone taking offence at anything in my posts - tough. It's only an internet forum. Stop being overly sensitive. you are shallow and banal. Eplayans who spend hours a day posting need to make in person friends and mentally masturbate less.

Sham

Post by Sham » Sat May 05, 2018 8:11 pm

Our camp is planning on doing various remembrances for Larry this year.

Larry was a very unassuming, down to earth guy who remained passionate about all that Burning Man stood for.
So many thousands of lives were transformed by the grueling trek to the Black Rock Desert, but in reality, it simply unlocked what was already inside of you---but just didn't discover it until this thing called Burning Man helped you along. For this, we will be eternally grateful to Larry Harvey.

I hope that everyone in their own way remembers that guy in the Stetson hat by honoring him this year when you make the trip to the playa. A simple note at the Temple or his name in lights. He will be looking over us and be very happy.

gbus
Burning Since: 2015

Post by gbus » Fri May 25, 2018 4:55 pm

PlayaPatrol wrote:Smoking and maybe high blood pressure killed Larry Harvey. people can learn from his death and live healthier lives. They can be positive influences on friends and family and intervene when needed. To those that think that addiction is free will or gives pleasure: There’s nothing enjoyable about strokes, cancer, heart attacks, diabetes etc.
Wow

Sham

Post by Sham » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:17 pm

https://journal.burningman.org/2018/06/ ... n-june-21/

Global Celebration and Day of Gratitude for Larry Harvey on June 21
June 1, 2018 By Burning Man

On June 21, 2018, the solstice and anniversary of the first Burning Man in 1986, we invite you to connect, reflect and celebrate the life and gifts of our original instigator and firestarter, Larry Harvey.

Larry lived a life of purpose, play, creativity and service. One of his greatest talents was making opportunities for others to co-create in imaginative ways. The results sparked a network of participatory events, which gave rise to a year-round community and a global cultural movement. #thankslarry

Who were you before you found Burning Man? Who are you now? What are you inspired to do? How do you want to see more Burning Man in the world?

On June 21 we invite and encourage you to join a global Burning Man celebration in honor of Larry by igniting your purpose and radiating your passion in ways consistent with the 10 Principles, whatever that means to you.

Join us for a day, an hour, or a moment on June 21.

A Day: Consider the impact of our worldwide community contributing its sizable talents, gifts, and resources on the same day. Express yourself through clothing, host a storytelling gathering, build some art (and burn it, or not), gift something, volunteer, or organize a park clean-up. Engage with others in ways that reflect the best of Burning Man culture. What are your gifts?

An Hour: Join us in creating a global resonance of activity by gathering with your local community and sharing a meal, organizing a direct action, telling stories around a campfire, or anything else that speaks to you. The hour around sunset is a special time of reflection on the solstice, no matter which hemisphere you’re in. Where would you like to be?

A Moment: The moment of sunset. As the sun sets around the planet, we’d like to honor all that being alive and active means to us and express gratitude for our lives, our gifts, and our community.

Here in the SF Bay Area, the birthplace of Burning Man, we will join the wave of celebration at 8:35 pm PDT, as the sun dips below the horizon. We invite you to pause, (light a candle, howl at the moon, meditate, laugh, sing a song) and reflect on how Larry Harvey and Burning Man have affected your life.

However you choose to express your gifts and gratitude, contribute to our collective story by sharing photos, video, and special moments at larry.burningman.org and on social media with the hashtag #thankslarry. Participate by going live on Facebook from your own celebration. Be sure to mention Burning Man and use #thankslarry, so we can see it and amplify it on our page. We’ll use our proverbial bullhorn to bring together everybody around the world participating in this moment. Tune in and follow the global wave of gratitude at larry.burningman.org and facebook.com/burningman.
Other opportunities to participate:

This Sunday, June 3 at the Desert Arts Preview, we will also take a moment to honor our original founder. Join us! And stay tuned for the announcement of an inspiring memorial event at the Castro Theater celebrating the life and legacy of Larry Harvey on July 14.

If you’re moved to support the art and philosophy work that Larry loved, we also invite you to support the Larry Harvey Art and Philosophy Fund.

Whether it’s for a day, an hour, or a moment, let’s hold Larry and each other in the light, and celebrate not only the life and gifts of Larry Harvey but also our own.

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:53 am

We are all ephemeral art.

Simon of the Playa
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:41 am

thanks, Larry.
13546DBD-3F3A-4492-93B8-7A7AF05E4633.jpeg
Frida Be You & Me

Wigwam
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: The Wanderers

Post by Wigwam » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:02 pm

Thank you, indeed.
The truth is more important than the facts.
I'm not an actor, but I've played one on TV.

burner von braun

Post by burner von braun » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:37 pm

Return to “Open Discussion”