Guard Dawg Thread

All things outside of Burning Man.
Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Re: Air polution

Post by Captain Goddammit » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:59 am

It doesn’t compare to the carbon footprint of an NFL football game or two.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Guard Dawg
Burning Since: 2019

Re: Air polution

Post by Guard Dawg » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:30 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:59 am
It doesn’t compare to the carbon footprint of an NFL football game or two.
Obama and Gore say, "Every gram counts."

How about a 50-foot smoke stack continuously belching out alternating thick clouds of red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet smoke? Would that be allowed?

Or, giant 50 foot diameter propane fueled bonfire with simulated concrete logs. Once the fire is turned-off the logs could be rolled around and used for seating and warmth for sleeping areas in cool nights. Fabricate the light weight heat resistant concrete logs like Lincoln logs so small structures could be constructed and covered with tarps. that would resist the wind provide some warmth at night, and cool shade during daytime.
Be who you are, say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter won't mind—Dr. Suess

Guard Dawg

Re: Roving Desert Echo Dome.

Post by Guard Dawg » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:21 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:27 am
You really need to go to Burning Man first, you just don’t understand the logistics yet.
You’d never be able to roll a 100’ wide anything along the inner playa. Too many obstacles... lamp poles, art installations, people hanging out, bikes laying on the playa, etc.
You can’t camp on the playa. You’d have to take it to your camp, and that’s too big to get down the streets. Even 50’ is too wide to take down the streets to get to camp.

I really hate to not have positive input. I love MVs. But you’ve got to get your feet on Planet Earth.

Come on man, assuming you’re as qualified as you said, what could you really do? Never mind all the fantasy-giant this or that, that physically won’t work even if you could build it.

There’s gotta be a realistic idea somewhere in your rocket surgeon brain.
Negative vibes captain, negative vibes. I've dealt with captains before! Even even cornels, lieutenants and sergeants I never accused any of them of being imaginative.

First order of business:
Under the authority of the universe I hereby anoint myself Admiral Asshole!

That means I am now out-rank you Captain Goddamnit. So, show some respect of military courtesy. You will make a fine advisor because you are certainly not a "yes" man.

I need a mobile command center or Burning man Mobile Man Cave to conduct my burning Man activities.

An old motorhome will foot the bill nicely as I will use it as a mobile tool shed around the my private 5-acre compound. The challenge is finding one that has not been a goobered up by incompetents masquerading as mechanics. Cheaper price means lower registration and insurance expenses. . I will do everything possible to reduce weight.

For my first burn I want a private temperature controlled sanctuary where I can sleep, cook eat, piss, shit, belch, lounge and not be annoyed by the surrounding hoi polloi and get caught up in any drama.

How secure is an unattended motohome? Probably be a good idea to have two or three mates so someone can stay and provide base security. Especially, considering the first thing I am installing is a Honda EU 3000.

At night I'll ride around nude on a bike with lites on the nipples of my man titties.
Be who you are, say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter won't mind—Dr. Suess

Guard Dawg

Change Screen Name

Post by Guard Dawg » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:24 pm

Moderator, would you kindly change my screen name to Admiral Asshole?

Guard Dawg

Post by Guard Dawg » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:07 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:
You really need to go to Burning Man first, you just don’t understand the logistics yet.
Does Black rock city have a ZIP Code so I can have pizzas Fed Ex'd overnight?
Captain Goddammit wrote:
You’d never be able to roll a 100’ wide anything along the inner playa. Too many obstacles... lamp poles, art installations, people hanging out, bikes laying on the playa, etc.
Make ginormous vacuum cleaner that gently sweeps everybody up into a dance floor. See, I am learning from your tutelage.
Captain Goddammit wrote:
You can’t camp on the playa.
Define camping?
Captain Goddammit wrote:
You’d have to take it to your camp, and that’s too big to get down the streets.

Even 50’ is too wide to take down the streets to get to camp.
That's why we have pesky engineers always defining boundaries.

I am a visionary! Visionaries have no boundaries. Boundaries are like kryptonite to visionaries.

Engineers make visionaries visions come true.

Captain Goddammit wrote:
I really hate to not have positive input. I love MVs.
Good, you now have been assimulated as a consultant. Compliance is mandatory resistance futile.

Captain Goddammit wrote:
But you’ve got to get your feet on Planet Earth.
I'm sure many said the same thing Alexander Graham Bell, Thomas Edison and Donald Trump.
Captain Goddammit wrote:
Come on man, assuming you’re as qualified as you said, what could you really do?
Never mind all the fantasy-giant this or that, that physically won’t work even if you could build it.
With unlimited capital resources anything can be accomplished.

What a buzz kill.

Captain Goddammit wrote:
There’s gotta be a realistic idea somewhere in your rocket surgeon brain.
There have been giants throughout history who refuse to think small. Steve Jobs, Donald Trump, Bill Gates.

They all succeeded because they had vision. To boldly think were only others dare.

Guard Dawg

Post by Guard Dawg » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:24 pm

Acquainted little bit with the logistics of production. I worked on all 100 B1 bomber's. It was quite impressive to see one of these planes roll out onto the flightline once a week. Of 7000 workers, we were averaging about one heart attack a month.

When told about producing one a week, I was convinced it could never be done.

$20 billion and six years later, all 100 on time and on budget. Absolutely amazing

Guard Dawg

Re: Giant torso with Penis

Post by Guard Dawg » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:21 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:53 am
There’s been all sorts of vagina-things.
Big Imagination is the baby of a guy named Ken Feldman. There was a very, very large budget involved and so much labor over several years time, by some friends of mine one of whom basically quit his job to work free full time on it.
That’s a pretty big measuring stick for a guy who hasn’t even been there and seen how things work yet. And I hope you’re a retired Silicon Valley zillionaire.

Really, I love MVs and I like the people who build them.
I just know the things you’re proposing are biting off way too much. And you cannot camp out on the playa in your MV... you need to drop that idea, it won’t be allowed when you get there. I’ve spent the night out on the playa in mine before, and been made to move on, by real cops. Not BRC Rangers, real cops.

I would love to give hands-on experienced positive input on the construction of a new MV.
But, you’re just not dealing with reality.

Scale down a bit! How many semi trucks do you have?
Yeah, scale down was told to Charles Limberg too. I cannot imagine a solo journey across the Atlantic.

I don't live far from Mojave where work was being done on Big Imagination and will volunteer if/when opportunities arise. I don't know if they're going to return it to Mojave. Probably not.

What are the mutant vehicle's permitted hours of operation. I read about their exclusion zone's

Goddamnit, stop thinking so 20th century, Captain Goddamnit. It's all about inspiring, marshaling and focusing the talents and passions of others for a common cause. Kind a like Charlie Manson. Look at the bloke who quit his job to work on Big Imagination full-time. He must be paid.

Guard Dawg

Post by Guard Dawg » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:22 pm

Guard Dawg

Post by Guard Dawg » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:40 pm

Okay, baby steps. First, I will find a small motorhome that will comfortably accommodate two people for the length the fiasco. If I'm going, I'm going comfort. Leave roughing it to the youngsters.

Meanwhile, I need to think of a mutant vehicle concept, any suggestions for a off the shelf electric powered platform?

Isn't there private property owned by burning man organization?

Admiral Fukkit
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii instead

Re: Guard Dawg Thread

Post by Admiral Fukkit » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:44 pm

Send a message to Trilobyte, the admin.

Nice name.

Traveller in Time
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Neon Light Alley (should be: Camp Envy)

Post by Traveller in Time » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:55 pm

All those admirals should reside in the pentagon, can use the thrash fence as outline :D
Dreaming a temporary world improving the default world

Not expressing yourself but embracing all other expressions is The Challenge

...I can make anything I can imagine . . . I just can't make _some_ things happen

Have some Free will

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:08 pm

No, he’s not paid.
Chuck Lindbergh wasn’t on his first flight when he took on the transatlantic flight.
RVs rock, gives you somewhere to get away from the dust.
The size of your MV even affects your motorhome. I tried a few of them but my trailer with MV was just too heavy for a motorhome, so I use a large truck camper on a diesel one-ton dually pickup, so I can tow lots more.

The most common electric vehicle platforms are golf carts. However, it’s generally known that they suck compared to gas engine rigs. The issues are several; recharging time, range, and the fact you need a lot of electricity for lights and whatever else you’ve got going on.
Also, playa dust is corrosive and abrasive and gets everywhere and tends to cause troubles with electric carts.
Add to that the fact you’re going to be running a generator anyway to charge the thing and electric doesn’t make sense.
I can hear you thinking “solar”... well, you’d need a LOT of solar, an impractical and expensibe amount.
It doesn’t add up. Gas engines and generators really work better out there. Solar CAN be done but you’re gonna need an awful lot of batteries to run all your lights etc at night.
There are no rules about hours of operation. You can run 24 hours a day. But there are separate daytime and night time MV licenses. Getting a day license requires your vehicle to look good in broad daylight, and not depend mainly on lighting effects for its “wow” factor.
Night licenses require you to have “radical illumination”. That means a lot, not a little lighting effects.
That’s one area where solar/battery arrangements start falling short.

Over the past few decades, just aboit everything you can think of - and lots you can’t - has been built. Don’t worry if someone else has made a bouncing colostomy bag on wheels, just make a better one.
I almost bet you whatever you come up with, I can show you an example of a past one.
Just make it good. Don’t cover a golf cart with tin foil and blankets and Christmas lights or it will be denied a license during the DMV license application review.
It doesn’t have to be big, or super expensive. It cannot have its “base vehicle” recognizable at all.

Guard Dawg

Post by Guard Dawg » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:00 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:08 pm
No, he’s not paid.
Chuck Lindbergh wasn’t on his first flight when he took on the transatlantic flight.
RVs rock, gives you somewhere to get away from the dust.
The size of your MV even affects your motorhome. I tried a few of them but my trailer with MV was just too heavy for a motorhome, so I use a large truck camper on a diesel one-ton dually pickup, so I can tow lots more.

The most common electric vehicle platforms are golf carts. However, it’s generally known that they suck compared to gas engine rigs. The issues are several; recharging time, range, and the fact you need a lot of electricity for lights and whatever else you’ve got going on.
Also, playa dust is corrosive and abrasive and gets everywhere and tends to cause troubles with electric carts.
Add to that the fact you’re going to be running a generator anyway to charge the thing and electric doesn’t make sense.
I can hear you thinking “solar”... well, you’d need a LOT of solar, an impractical and expensibe amount.
It doesn’t add up. Gas engines and generators really work better out there. Solar CAN be done but you’re gonna need an awful lot of batteries to run all your lights etc at night.
There are no rules about hours of operation. You can run 24 hours a day. But there are separate daytime and night time MV licenses. Getting a day license requires your vehicle to look good in broad daylight, and not depend mainly on lighting effects for its “wow” factor.
Night licenses require you to have “radical illumination”. That means a lot, not a little lighting effects.
That’s one area where solar/battery arrangements start falling short.

Over the past few decades, just aboit everything you can think of - and lots you can’t - has been built. Don’t worry if someone else has made a bouncing colostomy bag on wheels, just make a better one.
I almost bet you whatever you come up with, I can show you an example of a past one.
Just make it good. Don’t cover a golf cart with tin foil and blankets and Christmas lights or it will be denied a license during the DMV license application review.
It doesn’t have to be big, or super expensive. It cannot have its “base vehicle” recognizable at all.
First things first. Purchase of my Burning man Central Command Vehicle.

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:37 pm

Absolutely. But, take trailering ability into account when you do that. Your typical Class A motorhome will struggle with a heavy trailer, not only in power but handling.
Class C motorhomes are worse for trailering. Their chassis stops a few feet behind the rear axle and the chasss is extended with lightweight steel framing to the rear. They’re not well suited for pulling heavy trailers.
You gotta think logistics in this prep phase, the better hauling ability you have the better things you can bring.
You don’t want to be one of those people posting at the last minute “Help! I need someone to tow my whatever-it-is to the playa!”
Really? Ya’ shoulda thought about that in the first place, right?
I’m probably not the only one that has more money and effort into my tow rig that I do in my MV.
That’s the un-glamorous part of being a maker and doer and bringer of cool shit.
Welcome to the club. We have long hours, high bills, and lots of work.
All for a week of playing with motorized shit on the playa.

Guard Dawg

Post by Guard Dawg » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:05 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:37 pm
Absolutely. But, take trailering ability into account when you do that. Your typical Class A motorhome will struggle with a heavy trailer, not only in power but handling.
Class C motorhomes are worse for trailering. Their chassis stops a few feet behind the rear axle and the chasss is extended with lightweight steel framing to the rear. They’re not well suited for pulling heavy trailers.
You gotta think logistics in this prep phase, the better hauling ability you have the better things you can bring.
You don’t want to be one of those people posting at the last minute “Help! I need someone to tow my whatever-it-is to the playa!”
Really? Ya’ shoulda thought about that in the first place, right?
I’m probably not the only one that has more money and effort into my tow rig that I do in my MV.
That’s the un-glamorous part of being a maker and doer and bringer of cool shit.
Welcome to the club. We have long hours, high bills, and lots of work.
All for a week of playing with motorized shit on the playa.

A large MV is simply out of the question for me. I am just done using my muscles. Instead, I prefer using my visionary mind and magical powers of persuasion Like supervisoring others to ensure it here meant to my high standards or suffer the unpleasant circumstances of prompt termination.

I will be more than content with cruising around in a handicapped tag golf cart and electric trike and lounging in the comfort of air-conditionined RV. On the other hand, I could endure seven days of minimalist backpacking and its already packed.

Captain goddamnit, I can appreciate the amount of expense and effort you've put into your burning man Mutant vehicle endeavors and want to express my sincerest appreciation for your burning man contribution.

I am thinking volunteering for the post event cleanup would even be better. Higher quality people perhaps? Most, if not all rowdies gone. And, maybe a keener sense of camaraderie of those remaining.

Cheers.

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:35 pm

lol first I was telling you to scale it back and now I wanna say goddammit take it up a notch!!

Guard Dawg

Post by Guard Dawg » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:50 pm

How about replica of a geriatric ward we're all the cotton tops can hang out and Toupee, Tokens or whatever will have a place to service his Depends.

Guard Dawg

Post by Guard Dawg » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:51 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:35 pm
lol first I was telling you to scale it back and now I wanna say goddammit take it up a notch!!
Aye aye!

Guard Dawg

Post by Guard Dawg » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:38 pm

Admiral Fukkit wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:44 pm
Send a message to Trilobyte, the admin.

Nice name.
Thank you and thank you sir.

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:42 am

You may be acquainted with B1 bomber production lines but that has virtually zero relevance to building and operating a Burning Man mutant vehicle - and on an infinitely smaller budget.

Contrary to some people’s belief, BRC is a place with many rules and constraints. You really can’t just do whatever you want. There are people with the authority and ability to remove you from the playa if you attempted some of the things you’ve talked about. For real.

1durphul

Re: Borge Cube

Post by 1durphul » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:21 am

Guard Dawg wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:45 am
How about a Borg Cube?

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Admir ... 611pcs.jpg
How about a Bourgeois Cube?

Guard Dawg

Post by Guard Dawg » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:37 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:42 am
You may be acquainted with B1 bomber production lines but that has virtually zero relevance to building and operating a Burning Man mutant vehicle - and on an infinitely smaller budget.

Contrary to some people’s belief, BRC is a place with many rules and constraints. You really can’t just do whatever you want. There are people with the authority and ability to remove you from the playa if you attempted some of the things you’ve talked about. For real.
Begging the Captain's pardon. What specifically wa I suggesting that would result in my expulsion??? That's why I am here to learn. I don't want to do anything to get kicked out. I like rules, I have been following rules all my life. Rules are good. I have been reading the Burning Man rules.

All the Mutant Vehicle thing is way too much work for one person. Handicapped golf cart best option. Coppers less likely to hassle cotton tops.

Expense isn't the issue. Than there's liability exposure. Some tweaker falls and injures themselves then I get sued. So insurance is mandatory. More bureaucracy, more red tape.

In my youth, I always wanted to run with the bulls in Spain. Now that am old, I have resigned myself to dine with the bison at Hometown buffet.

I'll just watch Burning Man on YouBoob for now. Plan my first burn for 2020, hopefully before the event is permanently cancelled.

Thank you for your help captain.

Guard Dawg

CARB

Post by Guard Dawg » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:49 am

CARB AND BURNIG MAN

I am surprised CARB has not shutdown the "Burn." Has there been attempts to stop the burn by environmentalists???

Traveller in Time
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Neon Light Alley (should be: Camp Envy)

Re: CARB

Post by Traveller in Time » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:59 am

Many,

Feel free to have your burn on zero carbon emission, or carbohydrate intake whatever you prefer.

When going on holliday, by plane by car whatever all will be wasted as in not even productive in making food or housing. Why not a few flames in the process?
Dreaming a temporary world improving the default world

Not expressing yourself but embracing all other expressions is The Challenge

...I can make anything I can imagine . . . I just can't make _some_ things happen

Have some Free will

asr9754

Post by asr9754 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:59 am

Carb = California air resources board.
Black Rock City is Nevada.

Guard Dawg

Post by Guard Dawg » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:14 am

asr9754 wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:59 am
Carb = California air resources board.
Black Rock City is Nevada.
That is correct. However, the tentacles of CARB reach far and wide. For example, most vehicles sold in USA must be CARB approved.

Many states, not sure if Nevada is one, have adapted and implemented CARB mandates.

Large scale Burning, especially unnecessary burning, of anything isn't environmentally friendly. Every gram counts!!!

Someone needs to file an injunction against the burn until environmental impacts can be studied. There may exist endangered species at danger of extinction. Dry lake bed-—desert is a frigile ecosystem. Besides, the wind blow in my direction.

Are there "Burn days" in Nevada???

Guard Dawg

Post by Guard Dawg » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:28 am

Traveller in Time wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:59 am
Many,

Feel free to have your burn on zero carbon emission, or carbohydrate intake whatever you prefer.

When going on holliday, by plane by car whatever all will be wasted as in not even productive in making food or housing. Why not a few flames in the process?
I have never had a vacation. Vacations are for working people. Fortunately, my entire life has been a vacation.

asr9754

Post by asr9754 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:34 am

The Clean Air Act is an odd duck, as far as Federal laws go. It has a specific waiver that singles out the State of California, and allows this state to regulate motor vehicle emissions to different standards than set by the Federal EPA. Other states then have the option to adopt the Calif emission standards, which many do. The CAA does not have a similar provision that would allow Calif to regulate emissions from any other emission source (such as a "burn day")--the Calif waiver applies only to vehicles. So, CARB's role in TTITD would only involve motor vehicle emissions.

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:44 am

Guard Dawg wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:14 am

Someone needs to file an injunction against the burn until environmental impacts can be studied. There may exist endangered species at danger of extinction. Dry lake bed-—desert is a frigile ecosystem. Besides, the wind blow in my direction.

Are there "Burn days" in Nevada???
Says the flaming hypocrite who wants to buy a motorhome and go to Burning Man.
And build HUGE useless junk out there that would require massive amounts of heavy trucking.
I knew you were nothing but a wack-job but this settles it for sure.

Did you go off your meds, or what?
What did you actually do at the B1 bomber production plant, clean the toilets?

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:58 am

Guard Dawg wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:37 am

All the Mutant Vehicle thing is way too much work for one person. Handicapped golf cart best option. Coppers less likely to hassle cotton tops.
I’ve been doing my own, on my own, for almost 20 years. It’s too much for one person? Not if they aren’t full of hot air.
Didn’t you just get through talking about building the biggest MVs ever seen?

Return to “Open Discussion”