Remembering MyLarry

All things outside of Burning Man.
Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Remembering MyLarry

Post by Eric » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:51 am

Last week we lost a member of the ePlaya family, one who rarely posted yet was a major presence to all of us who knew him. Our own AntiM's beloved & magical husband MyLarry was taken all too quickly (FUCK CANCER), this is a place for ePlayan's to share memories about him.
AntiM MyLarry.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Re: Remembering MyLarry

Post by AntiM » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:24 pm

Oh, he wasn't even a register user of eplaya! He left that to me.

I can't believe it has only been a handful of days. We were married 31 years, closer to 32.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:04 pm

Love you both.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:13 pm

we only chatted a few times in the desert......but what a welcoming soul!
we all got a good chuckle the time Genius thought I was Gyre.....
all the stories from others of how kind and helpful, let alone pure wicked smart and improvisation...

Sigh....gone too soon.
And thanks to Eric, for this thread!
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Sham

Post by Sham » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:22 am

I am just seeing this thread and getting the clear message.
Larry and I have chatted on playa every year for the past decade.Quiet, but very bright and witty.
We discovered that we both actually shared the same first name--not Larry. Who would do that to a child? :roll:
A kind, sweet loving person left this world too soon.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:51 pm

I only got to really AntiM and MyLarry together in person as a chance encounter at the sideshows at the Carnival of Mirrors late on a Wednesday night during a relatively quiet time. Both were taking slow because of a foot injury AntiM was suffering. It was nice recognizing, and being recognized by, familiar faces that are usually only seen in forum avatars.

Unfortunately, I couldn't attend M+G that year due to a camp event. It was nice learning about who and what I had missed some hours prior, as well as other things that happened so far that burn.

That was also probably the first time meeting MyLarry -- quiet, present, but also sharp and making cracks at times during the conversation. A fitting partner.

Really sorry for your loss AntiM. Fuck cancer.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

unjonharley
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:10 am

BBadger wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:51 pm
I only got to really AntiM and MyLarry together in person as a chance encounter at the sideshows at the Carnival of Mirrors late on a Wednesday night during a relatively quiet time. Both were taking slow because of a foot injury AntiM was suffering. It was nice recognizing, and being recognized by, familiar faces that are usually only seen in forum avatars.

Unfortunately, I couldn't attend M+G that year due to a camp event. It was nice learning about who and what I had missed some hours prior, as well as other things that happened so far that burn.

That was also probably the first time meeting MyLarry -- quiet, present, but also sharp and making cracks at times during the conversation. A fitting partner.

Really sorry for your loss AntiM. Fuck cancer.
Plus 1
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

tatonka
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Post by tatonka » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:52 am

:( to young :(
Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed by the masses.
-Plato

If a good man is offered power , he has to lower himself to pick it up .

Fufa

Post by Fufa » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:44 pm

I’m so sorry for your loss AntiM. I remember meeting MyLarry at a M+G years ago and being so touched by his quiet kindness.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:01 pm

Oh Maggie, my heart just breaks for you. I have no good words right now. You do what you need to do right now. We love you, we loved MyLarry.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

danibel
Burning Since: 2009

Post by danibel » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:56 pm

I met MyLarry at the M&G a few years ago. He helped me find the snacks and a beer. I knew him mostly from the stories AntiM shared about her amazing sweet devoted hubby. I am so sorry we lost this gentle soul. big hugs.
In dust we trust.

Netty58
Burning Since: 2014

Post by Netty58 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:48 am

AntiM - I too did not get the opportunity to meet you at the Burn/M&G when I last attended. Nonetheless, you have my heartfelt sympathy for your loss. I too lost a husband to cancer a number of years ago. May you find happiness in your memories.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:35 am

Last year MyLarry showed me the big clamps on your shade structure. You had billboard material clamped right over your tarps. I learned something from him every year. (And he learned from you.) He will be missed by many.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

littleflower

Post by littleflower » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:05 am

Our camp lived nextdoor to AntiM and MyLarry for a few years, and i was there to watch them arrive with their trailer full of stuff and set up their awesome desert vacation home. MyLarry worked from sun up to past dark, but was always there if we needed a tool or some extra muscle. Once they were set up, it was always a joy to see MyLarry come and go .... we never knew what he would be wearing, but it was always fun!

He was always so kind, and gentle, and silly, and i can remember a few discussions among us single ladies about how to clone him.... seriously.

AntiM, you and MyLarry are, in my mind, the perfect burners .... endlessly creative, clever, accepting, and giving. MyLarry will be sorely missed, but I'm glad you have plans to return to the dust. All my best to you.

AntiM
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:12 pm

littleflower wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:05 am

He was always so kind, and gentle, and silly, and i can remember a few discussions among us single ladies about how to clone him.... seriously.
You're not the first ones! Lots of people envied MyLarry's devotion, hard work, kindness, and long legs.

We had a charmed life, he was very much my Prince Charming. I have no idea who I am just now.

A-RockLeFrench
Camp Name: BONERPILLAR

Post by A-RockLeFrench » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:41 am

I've never met AntiM or MyLarry on the playa, or most eplayans for that matter. But I have known AntiM for years over the internet and remember many stories and mentions of her amazing husband.

I am so, so terribly sorry for your loss. You are in my heart this day.

Fuck cancer.

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:58 am

AntiM, I'm so sorry to hear this. You two have obviously been a big part of ePlaya and I know you were both involved in one of my favorite Burn events The Rocky Horror Picture Show. I can't thank you enough for that.

You can never replace a loved one but you can always surround yourself with those who love you. I know it's not the same but you obviously have a lot of here.

Be strong.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

MacGlenver
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: I call this one 'Old Gregg'

Post by MacGlenver » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:26 pm

AntiM, I'm so sorry. I met you once at your camp (I still have the piece of art you gave me - Rhythm of the Night 2013) and probably once at the M&G, but I'd never had the fortune to meet MyLarry. I've seen you refer to him so many times on ePlaya that he was like a fixture for me regardless. I sensed how he was your rock and a loving companion for you without ever seeing you two together. I trust that you will find peace and comfort in time, and you can lean on your friends until then. I'm so sorry. You have my love and sympathy. Remember that you have a family here that cares for you.

Love,
Glen
"just two indecisive cowboys, trying to play a word game." - piehole
"Just apply intelligence and discretion and you should be able to get away with just about anything." - Ugly Dougly

tamarakay
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by tamarakay » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:01 pm

I don't know why all these people think MyLarry was quiet lol. My goodness he and Ken could talk together for hours! About ANYTHING and EVERYTHING. Ken and I just got back from the burn and popped open a couple of Shiner Ruby Red Birds and toasted our happy memories of Ken's first meeting MyLarry and getting handed one of these beers. Ruby Red Birds and MyLarry are forever entwined in our memories.

Our hearts are broken.

I drew a little postcard picture of MyLarry and placed it in the Temple on the center core Thursday night. For the first time ever I cried at the Temple.

I love you AntiM.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

littleflower

Post by littleflower » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:20 pm

AntiM wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:12 pm
littleflower wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:05 am

You're not the first ones! Lots of people envied MyLarry's devotion, hard work, kindness, and long legs.

We had a charmed life, he was very much my Prince Charming. I have no idea who I am just now.
Anti, he was your muse, but not your artistic spirit!!

I can only imagine what you are going through, but I do know that the haze of grief will lift at some point. Please hang in there, we need you!

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:55 pm

tamarakay wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:01 pm
I don't know why all these people think MyLarry was quiet lol. My goodness he and Ken could talk together for hours! About ANYTHING and EVERYTHING.
This exactly!!! My memories of MyLarry were of his bubbliness and his stories, his devotion to AntiM, and his naughty jokes. Maybe it was because of where I always got to see him--the yearly Mod MeetUp; a small circle of us just chatting and laughing for hours. He was always so funny and such great company, and quick to make us try the really good & exotic beers or ciders.

I'm shocked and sad he's gone. I'm so sorry, AntiM.
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

sadie
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Solomio

Post by sadie » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:06 pm

Anti M - hugs - so sorry for your loss...
If I've told you once, I've told you ten thousand times..jazz hands goddammit....JAZZ HANDS!!!

Perpetual Burn
Burning Since: 2021

Post by Perpetual Burn » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:53 pm

AntiM, I'm sorry to hear about these hard times... I don't know you or MyLarry, but based on the kind words in this thread, it's doubtful he was anything but a beautiful and loving man.

I hope his spirit continues to live in you and you can use all the beautiful memories as motivation to keep making beautiful art for us all to share.

God bless you and Burn bright.
Funfinity manifeats Mettatacular phazes
Dancipate white hazes of purple sea dazes
Swiminfinite Dust as Defaultia lusts
Unpossibility reigns nonlimited mindbusts
Rollbliterate ego ~n~ drop dosasses Monases
Spuntaneous artkarmaval ~ Burn Bright, All

goathead
Burning Since: 1999

Post by goathead » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:29 am

Have been here half a dozen times, still have no idea what to say.
So sudden, and out of no where.

Years ago came across the Home for Wayward Art, really enjoyed it.
Didn't know you or MyLarry till years later, and then have only met you in person a few times.

Yet through your posts over the years, you have come to be like family in a way.

I wish I could say something to lessen your pain.

joyknights
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: no

Post by joyknights » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:21 pm

My deepest condolences to you and your family.
I don't know Larry, but I believe that he has been a good husband and friend to all the members of this community.

wraith

Post by wraith » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:36 am

I didn't have the privilege, but I am terribly sorry that one so obviously well loved had to go so soon.

MyDearFriend
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Post by MyDearFriend » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:51 am

What a dear, dear friend we have lost. :cry:

And what a terrifyingly fast ride he had through the hell that is cancer. :shock: "What? what? what? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I remember that beard-bow, that smile, that hard-working skill and willingness to do anything, and his wonderful kindness to my son "Puppy" in 2012, when he offered the tools and expertise and authenticity that helped turn my youngest into an awesome Burner.

We'll miss you, MyLarry.

((((((((((((((AntiM))))))))))))))))))
"Burning Man ruined my life as I knew it, and I have never been happier." -mgb327

"BTW I'm not your wife so don't lie to me." -Ratty

Patsh

Post by Patsh » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:14 am

AntiM, the words escape me. Such a sad loss.

"To MyLarry, with fond remembrance"

My thoughts are with you, remembering what was to be after my husband's death (9 years ago).
You are loved by so many amazing people...

((((((((AntiM))))))))
formerly, Triken

keep on triken' Mamma!
Triken' ma blues away....

Theatre is Life
Cinema is Art
Television is Furniture

Return to “Open Discussion”