SpaceX launch

All things outside of Burning Man.
That is Nice
Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: The Real World

SpaceX launch

Post by That is Nice » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:30 pm

I'm going to give you a link to an unlisted video on the SpaceX channel on Youtube.

If you're going to watch this, skip to 28:46, because all that you're going to see before that is photos with music playing in the background and some shots of the crowd waiting for Elon Musk to speak.

In this video, he's talking about sending a paying customer on a trip around the Moon and introduces us to the wealthy sacrificial victim passenger, whose expensive ticket purchase made this all possible. I haven't sat through the whole video, but let's say it's not the most reassuring thing I've ever seen. Very clearly, if something breaks down on the craft, this passenger won't know what to do.

The video is a recording of a live stream that ran tonight.

That is Nice

Re: SpaceX launch

Post by That is Nice » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:42 pm

The chat was off for the stream, keeping us from saying things like "Run, Forrest, run!" (which maybe was the idea). I haven't seen the whole thing, yet, as I did get distracted while watching this all happen live, but I could have sworn I hard Elon Musk talking about what the proper procedure for landing on a gas giant would be.

If so, that's not reassuring. Any attempted landing on one of those would be suicide. Forget about the astronauts surviving, the ship itself would be melted or vaporized by the heat deep in the atmosphere and there's no solid surface for them to land on, anyway. Just a series of gradual transitions between phases in the interior. I hope I misheard that.

Tinkler
Burning Since: 2016

Post by Tinkler » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:35 am

Man, I missed this launch. SpaceX has too many launches nowadays. It's hard to keep track of all of them. lol

That is Nice

Post by That is Nice » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:22 pm

Not a launch, yet.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/17/scie ... enger.html

^ (Trigger warning: there are ads on this site)
"Elon Musk on Monday evening introduced Yusaku Maezawa, founder of the online Japanese clothing company Zozo, as his first customer for a voyage around the moon aboard a SpaceX rocket.

Mr. Maezawa’s intent to follow in the contrails of American astronauts, who first looped the moon in 1968 aboard the Apollo 8 mission, was announced at an event at the company’s headquarters in the Los Angeles area. The expensive trip would cost at least tens of millions of dollars, if not a couple of hundred million, and when it would occur was not yet announced. Neither Mr. Musk nor Mr. Maezawa would disclose the price.

Mr. Maezawa is to ride a yet-to-be-built rocket known as the B.F.R. on a journey that would take four to five days. The rocket would not be ready for the trip until 2023, Mr. Musk said, and would cost from $2 billion to $10 billion to develop. He added that Mr. Maezawa’s ticket would make a meaningful contribution to the project’s completion.

While SpaceX’s technological achievements are significant, Mr. Musk’s forecasts of SpaceX’s timelines have usually turned out to be far too optimistic.

... "
A trip around the Moon is a little more interesting than a launching of cargo into orbit, even if this ship isn't going to land of the Moon. Assuming that it's ever launched and that this isn't just a PR stunt by Musk.

https://www.livescience.com/63617-space ... -moon.html

Still, even given the practical problems of landing wealthy passengers (who travel with an expectation of comfort and usually without the technical skills that an astronaut would have to have) on the Moon, near future space tourism is not impossible. There are near Earth asteroids. "Landing" on one of those would be more like docking with it, given the very, very low gravity.

While giving the very rich yet another luxury to enjoy might not sound like a thing calling for much celebration, money does make this world move, these days, and tourism can give a profit motive to help encourage space exploration. Once people are out there, there are nickel-iron asteroids to mine, so maybe this can become the start of some real progress, even if the initial motivation for said progress might seem a little frivolous.

Garyoler
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: N/A

Post by Garyoler » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:20 am

"Once people are out there, there are nickel-iron asteroids to mine, so maybe this can become the start of some real progress, even if the initial motivation for said progress might seem a little frivolous."

Hmm, good point!

Return to “Open Discussion”