AdultXXX Activites Around Kids?

All things outside of Burning Man.
EvilDustBooger

Post by EvilDustBooger » Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:12 pm

OK, I`m confused. Maybe I was sticking up for the wrong team here.
Is Cabanasprings and Stringbean the same poster?
They seem to be Metamorphasizing into the same agravating red crotch.

Please. NO more clarifications needed.

Kinetic IV

Post by Kinetic IV » Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:18 pm

Nevermind.
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!

Lassen Forge
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Post by Lassen Forge » Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:24 pm

Ain't it just flippin' amazing that those who quote the bible as if they're Christians totally lost the message - Love everyone as yourself, do no harm? Don't think he said "except this group and that group and those who..."

Hmmm... then again, there *was* this cat named John said the bad guy and his minions would walk in under the guise of the guys in the white hat. And all Hell would follow close behind. And bring about all hell.

(Sorry to diverge into religion, folks... backing away from the typewriter, er, keyboard.)

(Yeah, I shoulda did like K4 and said never mind, but it's too much fun - like a cat with a mouse...)

Now for a word from our sponsor...

Jesus is comin'... and, man, is He pissed!

>Edited a few times because I tread carefully among some people - unlike some people!<

helitack
Burning Since: 2004

Post by helitack » Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:30 pm

What that can be interpreted as follows:

"And heli marched across the desert with the Interrogation Squad, and what followed was Pleasure".

Still believe in PARENTAL/GUARDIAN* supervision of any minors at BRC. That means competent, responsible supervision.

*amended
Actively helping President Trump build the wall

Winning hearts and minds in lovely TexMexistan...

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:47 pm

I make it a point not to argue with people who don't understand english or with people who deliberately misunderstand my statements. Therefore, I'm out. Please do not misconstrue my silence as agreement.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Cabanasprings

Post by Cabanasprings » Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:54 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:I make it a point not to argue with people who don't understand english or with people who deliberately misunderstand my statements. Therefore, I'm out. Please do not misconstrue my silence as agreement.
Interesting approach that when someone disagrees with you, it must be construed as an argument.

I must also inquire BBS as to where it is written that one must be a christian to quote the Bible. In my opinion it is merely a history book with a few good ideas.

Lassen Forge

Post by Lassen Forge » Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:56 pm

Y'know, I almost put in that ad for the Kompound... >grins<

BBS

Badger

Post by Badger » Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:44 pm

Instead of an crotch kicking how about some clarification instead?
A size 14, Master Pak Teva kick to the head - of course!

<snork>
Desert dogs drink deep.

stringbean

Post by stringbean » Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:23 pm

"It is not someone elses responsibility to edit *their* experience to what you expect. That's like telling Deathguild they can't set up thunderdome because you're anti-violence and just won't put up with it.

Sorry, but if that wasn't so sad, it'd be funny. It's not MY responsibility to insure YOUR comfort."

Bay Bridge Sue;
I agree with you, and that means your reasoning can be applied in reverse. Expect me not to censor my action around ant kids for their or their parents' comfort! :lol: I plan to have fun, not hurt anyone, and be free....stoned, naked, and grabbing the crotch of my significant other, regardless of who's watching.
If YOU don't like it, cover your eyes! I'm not covering nada!
HA

Lassen Forge

Post by Lassen Forge » Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:33 pm

stringbean wrote:"
I plan to have fun, not hurt anyone, and be free....stoned, naked, and grabbing the crotch of my significant other, regardless of who's watching.
If YOU don't like it, cover your eyes! I'm not covering nada!
HA
How can I honestly fault that? Darnitall! >>grins<<

BBS

Kinetic IV

Post by Kinetic IV » Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:33 pm

Badger wrote: A size 14, Master Pak Teva kick to the head - of course!

<snork>
It will be a pleasure to fulfill that request, in person, on the playa, in 51 days. Bring it on!
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!

Cabanasprings

Post by Cabanasprings » Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:34 pm

Kinetic IV wrote:
Badger wrote: A size 14, Master Pak Teva kick to the head - of course!

<snork>
It will be a pleasure to fulfill that request, in person, on the playa, in 51 days. Bring it on!
BTW, It is no surprise that you are willing to fulfill it's request in person!

Elemental666

Post by Elemental666 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:19 pm

you know, I once belonged to a forum that deleted these threads filled with nothing but obvious flame bait...

Here's a tip, the next time you feel like starting/joining an argument in a forum on the web, take a good long look at the OTHER things you might be able to accomplish. Then ask yourself if you really wanna be that choad...

Janka

Post by Janka » Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:24 am

What's there not to understand? It isn't just ME that wants to experience unbridled freedom, it's a sheer MASS of adults.
Uh, since when is BM something that should give you "unbridled freedom"?

Sure, it is more free of certain restrictions of the default world, but it is also about self-reliance, self-expression, community, and radical inclusion. It's not supposed to be only a week-long party, it is also about experiments about building a community from all kinds of people, without commerce, etc. (Whether or not it succeeds in those is beside the point. ;))

I am sorry, but like other people here, I cannot understand why some people should stay at home just so that you can do whatever you feel without feeling uncomfortable. You have found a limit from inside you. Now you have the chance to embrace that limit and explore it and decided if it good or bad, if you want to keep it or let it go. And, some say, that is also what BM is about...
"The great way is low and plain,
but people like shortcuts over the mountains."

http://www.iki.fi/janka/log/

spectabillis
Burning Since: 2020

Post by spectabillis » Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:08 am

Ok.

Not that I have much of an issue with leftovers, re-heated SPAM keeps well without freezer burn.

But the issue is this: topic misplacement.

So it's going to get served under another sub-topic and out of board policy.

Sincerely,
Chef SPAM.

batmansdream

radical inclusion

Post by batmansdream » Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:54 pm

this year's outline of principles is radical inclusion
and if a parent decides to raise a child in a free minded environment,
growing up at home naked to begin with, the kid is not marvelling over nudity as a novelty.
Does American television have less nudity ??
always girl power!!

Wakawaka

Post by Wakawaka » Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:30 pm

Um, can you repeat the question?

BM is a family friendly event, it is what it has become, get over it and quit whining. You can still do what you want, just show a little common sense. The playa is awfully big, if you're waving your shit around and you see one or two kids walking along turn around and go the other way. Really fucking difficult huh?

And why do you assume they're snot nosed kids. Most of the parents bringing kids to BM are far from the people raising litle shit's you refer to. And no, I do not have children but I do have a snotty nose (which I am bringing this year).

Do what you want, just be aware of the reality you're doing it in.

mcollins

Re: AdultXXX Activites Around Kids?

Post by mcollins » Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:28 pm

2 Points -- one for and one against bringing children.

1. There is an attempt here to make an impact on the dominant culture. The hope is that a new way of thinking will step forward and spread. I hope so. And, the only way that can possibly happen is if families take part. Did you hear about the religion that didn't believe in having sex, even for procreation--they shrank and then disappeared completely. No surprise there. No kids--no next generation.

2. Although nudity is not harmful for kids, over stimulation definitely is. This would be anything that stimulates really strong emotions. Fear, anger, confustion, sexualtiy. Kids do better with a consistent and predictable environment. They can start to experiment with inconsistancy and overwhelming stimulation as soon as they are mature enough to provide for their own basic needs (food, shelter, transportation, etc).

FOR GOD SAKES PARENTS -- READ YOUR TICKET -- It says that "You could die here". What kind of parent would take their could to a place where it is publicly advertized that they could die?

THE BIG COMPROMISE: Create clear boundaries to delineate areas where it is safe to have children. And create clear boundaries where adults can engage in whatever activities they choose where they don't have to worry about whether they are negatively impacting a child's natural development.

[quote="stringbean"]I just have to say how tired I am about the politically incorrect status that restricts people from saying how they really don't want little kids around. I raised mine, they're on their own now, and I'm looking forward to hanging loose as a free adult without some wide-eyed kid checking out my new ass painting at a place like the burning man event. While most of the participants want to enable parents to feel comfortable bringing their young-uns, allow me this space to express my minority opinion, my sheer horror that anyone would expose their kids to some of the tawdry events that I'd like to enjoy without feeling inhibited by young eyes. Can't you find a sitter?
I don't care if you agree. I don't want your snot-nosed kid watching me.[/quote]

batmansdream

point 2 of mcollins

Post by batmansdream » Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:08 pm

I would like to question your point 2.
You would ideally keep a child sheltered from overstimulation, especially in regards to nudity if I understand that right. Confusion, anger, sexuality,
aren't these exactly the tension momentums television thrives on,
keeps producing show over show over show thrilling people around these topics?
And I agree with the sheltering your child as much as possible: we do not
watch tv all year round.
For one week my kid can see people expressing the most amazing art
concepts, creativity, costumes, thousands of expressions and devotion to fun and the joy of life through the installations, activities and the art vehicles, some nudity, some more sexual expressions and much more.
If we want to see sexual activities, we need to really look for it, with special intent, it is a very very rare chance you just stumble across it.

I do not think that kids who are used to see parents naked
will be damaged for life to see others with pierced nipples in thongs.

and we really come from the East Village.

For who does not expose their children to the naturalness of being naked at home this event will definitely be causing some confusion.
I agree.
However, I find that maybe 25 to 30% of people are naked, not more.

In Munich, germany, in the central park of the city (Englischer Garten) people are playing even tennis or ping pong naked, also senior citizens.

I have a second response about "READ YOUR TICKET"
are you a desert traveller?
you need to prepare for desert. period. yes, for the suburban and city kid
we need a wake up call to prepare conciously.

I could get killed daily by the crazy traffic in NYC, just crossing the street.

you could get shot from maniacs even in schools these days.

the slow death with the standard American diet?
please..

Kinetic IV

Post by Kinetic IV » Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:49 pm

Batmansdream, thank you for that post. It was perfect.
K-IV
~~~~

Badger

Post by Badger » Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:41 pm

What kind of parent would take their could to a place where it is publicly advertized that they could die?
The same sort of parent(s) that leaves the house everyday to drive their kid to school where the chance of death from automobile accident might be even more likely?

Ooops. Looks like Batman'sdream made my point already...
I could get killed daily by the crazy traffic in NYC, just crossing the street.
Desert dogs drink deep.

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:48 pm

It seems to me, State and Federal laws aside, that this boils down to simply an issue of being responsible and considerate to one another.

Wish to express yourself?

Regardless of how, remember that what you do has an affect on those around you. Be aware of the potential impact of your actions and be sure you want to have that impact on the future of another. Someone who you might not want to witness your act of self expression may be getting ready to turn the corner.

Bringing kids?

Be aware that some are not of the mind to be considerate of their affect on you, and even if they are, they may not know you’re right behind them. There's a chance that you may have to explain things to your kids that you might not have been ready for.

Last year I saw one, maybe two things I would consider acts of public sexuality, but I did see many more acts of self expression of other means. All in all, I think this event is an enormous catalyst for social change towards the better. And since kids are the future, it seems silly to exclude them from it. Looking out for our neighbor and putting the needs of others above our own... therein lies the difference between a community and party. At least it seems that way to me.
batmansdream wrote:devotion to fun and the joy of life
And what a great thing to share...

And by the way, I'd bet that, by and large, anyone who would go through the effort to bring their kids to the Burn has thought all of this out plenty. I'd also bet that those are no ordinary kids and I say more power to 'em.
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather

Badger

Post by Badger » Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:54 pm

And by the way, I'd bet that, by and large, anyone who would go through the effort to bring their kids to the Burn has thought all of this out plenty. I'd also bet that those are no ordinary kids and I say more power to 'em
By and large I think that's probably spot on. However, i've seen enough instances where it appeared that parents drug the small ones along because they couldn't/wouldn't get a child sitter and their selfishness completely overtook their responsibility as parents. In those relatively small number of instances the kids seemed fucking miserable.
Desert dogs drink deep.

geekster

Post by geekster » Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:45 pm

In those relatively small number of instances the kids seemed fucking miserable.
I can bear witness to that. At about 4:30 and esplanade last year during a bad dust storm, Wednesday afternoon, I think. Two kids in a wagon, no protection, parents not doing anything to teach them to cover their eyes. Kids were about the same age as mine, maybe 5 and 3. They looked like they were in complete misery. I didn't have anything to give to them but I kick myself in the ass for not saying anything to the parents but maybe it's best I didn't.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:11 am

fwiw: The first year I was on the playa I heard rumors of a couple who had snuck in and then dumped thier baby on campmates while they wandered off and had fun. The whole story is so perfectly devised to rile up that I sort of reguard it as a BRC Urban Legend. However these imaginary folk sort of represent my benchmark low for dispicable behavior, child responcilbiltywise at BM. But parents who want to participate in the event and are capable of doing it with grace? We need them.
btw--I belive you were talking about the Shakers a few posts back. INteresting people it their own right, who left a mark, even though they went extinct.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

stuart

Post by stuart » Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:22 pm

No kids--no next generation.
you say that like it's a bad thing
call me baby

dr.placebo
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Cleu Camp

Post by dr.placebo » Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:40 pm

Yes, you can die, and a child can die, at Burning Man. You can also die on a freeway, in a mall, at the Boy Scout Jamboree, and just about anywhere else in the world. It is always the parents' responsibility to care for their children. For that matter, it is any adult's duty to protect any child.

Not all parents tend to their children properly, either at Burning Man or in the default world. But we should not penalize good parents for the actions of the thoughtless.

So far I've not read any convincing arguments here as to why parents, some of whom have been burners for years, should be prevented from bringing children to the playa. I was camping at Kidsville one year (my campmates brought their son), and the kids looked pretty happy. There were events for them, games and such, and plenty of company their own age. There was some nudity for all ages, but no one I saw was upset by it.

Other friends of mine have brought their teenagers to the playa for some years. The family is cool with it and the kids handle themselves well. They also were some of the most thoughtful and articulate teenagers I've ever seen, and they even seemed to like talking to adults.

Past a certain point public sexuality is illegal and intrusive to many people, including kids. I think that anyone who can't keep their sexual activities limited to those venues where it is permitted (and even encouraged) should not come to Burning Man. And it's not just about the kids.

geekster

Post by geekster » Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:49 pm

Hey, I think death should be manditory. Everyone should experiance it at least once in their life, just to kind of round out the experiance. And stuff.

And as far as all that future generation stuff, yeah, kids are the root cause of all of our problems. If just one generation, say the ones being born now, would just adopt celibacy, all of man's problems would be solved.

Kids, they're such troublemakers.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.

Rob the Wop

Post by Rob the Wop » Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:34 pm

Yes, but its just another restriction.

Now you're saying that people need to only fool around in regulated zones specifically for this activity, or worse yet- not have sex at all since a child might happen to walk into your camp by accident.

Bullshit.

As an adult, you can walk away from anything you don't want to see. Throw a child into the mix and now you have a situation where you have to regulate how you act simply because of the child's presence in the community.

My $.02 is that if you bring a child, you are responsible for ANYTHING that kid views. Ergo, stay with your kid and if you see people getting it on, steer your kid free of it. Don't restrict everyone else's experience simply because you want to bring your kid. You wouldn't want your kid handling explosives, drugs, or flaming poi- you steer them away from anything that could hurt them. This should also include mental damage (?) from viewing people doing what's more natural than explosives, drugs, or fire.
[b]The other, other white meat.[/b]

Zulegoona

Post by Zulegoona » Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:53 pm

I agree that ultimately the parents are or should be responsible for their kids, and I really like seeing kids in Black Rock City. There so cool!.... But with kids there or not it is still illegal to have sex in public. Is your camp considered public? I don't know it seems like it could be considered public, even if your tent, RV, and car are considered privet.

Return to “Open Discussion”