California Fires: Camp, Lost, Eden, Mountaineer, Woolsey, etc.

All things outside of Burning Man.
Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Re: California Fires: Camp, Lost, Eden, Mountaineer, Woolsey, etc.

Post by Lonesomebri » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:05 pm

Wow, I'm constantly surprised by the width and depth of Burner expertise. I feel that I am better informed on this fire tragedy by reading eplaya than the President is with his vast access to the experts he ignores. This bother anyone else?
Camp THREAT: Dominating the porta potties 3 years running.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:40 pm

It never rains, it pours...

https://earther.gizmodo.com/rains-may-h ... 1830536827
  • Rain forecast across Northern California. Up to six inches of rain could fall near Paradise and the surrounding area.
  • From September until the fire began in early November, rainfall was five inches below normal.
  • Rain is good news for containing the fire, reported at 66% contained.
  • Gusty winds should blow smoke out of the area, and all of Northern California.
  • National Weather Service is forecasting 'high impacts', including debris flows.
    - May clog roads where firefighters need access to dig fire lines and assess damage.
  • May wash away signs of human remains before that search is complete.
    - It was within the “realm of possibility” that officials would never know the exact death toll from the blaze.
  • The newly homeless who are not indoors could/will be drenched.
  • This with shelters reporting outbreaks of norovirus, that can cause vomiting and diarrhea.
Flood Watch
National Weather Service Sacramento CA
1241 PM PST Mon Nov 19 2018
...FLASH FLOOD WATCH IN EFFECT FROM WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH
FRIDAY MORNING FOR THE CAMP, CARR, DELTA, HIRZ, AND THE MENDOCINO
COMPLEX WILDFIRE BURN AREAS...

The National Weather Service in Sacramento has issued a
* Flash Flood Watch for The Camp Fire wildfire in Butte County, the Carr, Delta and Hirz wildfires in Shasta County and the Mendocino Complex in Lake County burn areas in Northern California.
* From Wednesday afternoon through Friday morning
* Flash floods and debris flows will be a particular threat in the wildfire burn areas mentioned above. Heavy rainfall at times is possible over the burn areas.
* Those traveling or in the areas along Interstate 5 and Highway 299 in the western portion of Shasta County, and along portions of Highway 70 and the Skyway in Butte County should be alert for possible road problems due to flooding, rock, and debris flows.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...
This could quickly become a dangerous situation. Residents, emergency responders, persons traveling within the burn area should remain alert and take action should heavy rain develop. A flash flood watch for a burn area means that conditions may develop that lead to flash floods, rockslides, and/or debris flows.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:27 am

Canoe wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:40 pm
It never rains, it pours...

https://earther.gizmodo.com/rains-may-h ... 1830536827
  • Rain forecast across Northern California. Up to six inches of rain could fall near Paradise and the surrounding area.
  • From September until the fire began in early November, rainfall was five inches below normal.
  • Rain is good news for containing the fire, reported at 66% contained.
  • Gusty winds should blow smoke out of the area, and all of Northern California.
  • National Weather Service is forecasting 'high impacts', including debris flows.
    - May clog roads where firefighters need access to dig fire lines and assess damage.
  • May wash away signs of human remains before that search is complete.
    - It was within the “realm of possibility” that officials would never know the exact death toll from the blaze.
  • The newly homeless who are not indoors could/will be drenched.
  • This with shelters reporting outbreaks of norovirus, that can cause vomiting and diarrhea.
Flood Watch
National Weather Service Sacramento CA
1241 PM PST Mon Nov 19 2018
...FLASH FLOOD WATCH IN EFFECT FROM WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH
FRIDAY MORNING FOR THE CAMP, CARR, DELTA, HIRZ, AND THE MENDOCINO
COMPLEX WILDFIRE BURN AREAS...

The National Weather Service in Sacramento has issued a
* Flash Flood Watch for The Camp Fire wildfire in Butte County, the Carr, Delta and Hirz wildfires in Shasta County and the Mendocino Complex in Lake County burn areas in Northern California.
* From Wednesday afternoon through Friday morning
* Flash floods and debris flows will be a particular threat in the wildfire burn areas mentioned above. Heavy rainfall at times is possible over the burn areas.
* Those traveling or in the areas along Interstate 5 and Highway 299 in the western portion of Shasta County, and along portions of Highway 70 and the Skyway in Butte County should be alert for possible road problems due to flooding, rock, and debris flows.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...
This could quickly become a dangerous situation. Residents, emergency responders, persons traveling within the burn area should remain alert and take action should heavy rain develop. A flash flood watch for a burn area means that conditions may develop that lead to flash floods, rockslides, and/or debris flows.
I'd add to the "5 inches below normal" rain fact. That means, virtually no rain. A very slight sprinkle had occurred in Oct. but not really even enough to get the pavement wet. Otherwise, no rain to speak of since last spring... It's super super dry here.

Yeah, mud and debris will be a real issue. Some areas there are pretty steep.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:38 am

Camp Fire info/resources
http://www.buttecounty.net/
numerous links, including
https://www.buttecounty.net/News-Announ ... ouncements
http://www.buttecounty.net/sheriffcoroner (for Camp Fire Missing Persons list)
Evacuation Shelter Information
Animal Shelter
Donations and Volunteering

The top link included a link to
Camp Fire Incident Update 11/19/2018 7pm wrote: Size: 151,272 acres
Containment: 70%
Expected Full Containment: 11/30/18
Civilian Injuries: 0 (~edit: obviously not tracked yet)
Firefighter Injuries: 3
Civilian Fatalities: 79
Firefighter Fatalities: 0
Structures Threatened: 14,500
Single Residences Destroyed: 11,713
Single Residences Damaged: 380
Multiple Residences Destroyed: 277
Commercial Destroyed: 472
Commercial Damaged: 96
Other Minor Structures Destroyed: 3,388
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:32 am

Low res sat view of Paradise area: Nov 2, 2018 vs. Nov 18, 2018
Paradise-before-after.gif
Video showing sat images, selected scenes, Before & After.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:37 pm

Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:07 pm

There's a lot of news articles about people all over Cal and anywhere downwind getting hit with a lot of smoke particles from the various fires. To filter what you can of smoke particles out of the air if you're inside something...
  • To filter the smallest particles practical, get a MERV-13, FPR 10, or MPR 1500-1900 rated furnace filter filter for your furnace and run it on circulation.
  • Or tape one on a fan and run that in the room you want the cleanest air in. Perhaps a bedroom.
  • A 20" x 20" fits a 20" box fan, although noisy.
    (I've used a single boxfan setup like this to filter the air of a ~1800 sq.ft. restaurant I and others had to do sanding in. Running on high overnight to get the particles out of the air, the next day I could tack-wipe tables and a wood bar and stain or varnish without particles floating in the air to land on the finish.)
  • Furnace filters are available in various sizes, to fit a quieter fan.
    - Or cut the media to fit a fan, even round, and tape in place. Cut and keep the mesh with the filter media, as the mesh supports the filter when it's under pressure from the air flow.
I have a Honeywell air filtration fan/filter. I run it on high when I go out, turning it to low or off when I'm home, so I'm not subjected to a lot of noise.

Note that the supporting wire mesh should be on the output side of the filter media, as the mesh supports the filter media as the air flow through it.
This video shows the filter on the output side of the fan. I find they work better on the input side, but I am not certain on that. Either way is better than not doing it.
Tape all around the filter against leakage, for better filtration.

If you've got an Endless Breeze powered playa/swamp-cooler, you've got a great fan if you've got 12 VDC (somewhat less) to run it. Or use another good/quiet fan.
  • Get a cardboard box large enough to mount the furnace filter on one side of the box and the Endless Breeze on another side.
  • Make two holes in the box, one for the filter and one for the fan.
  • Mount both on the outside of the box so you have easy access to tape to seal them to the box.
  • The larger the furnace filter the better, as this reduces the velocity of the airflow through the filter.
    You could have a very large filter on a large box with a much smaller fan. Like a 20"x20" - or larger - filter and a 12" Endless Breeze.
  • Fan mounted on the side opposite the side from the filter would work best, but they can be on any side and still work. So they could be installed on adjacent sides and the box set in the corner of a room to be more out of the way.
  • Use tape to seal the fan to box, filter to box and any seams or handle-holes in the box, to force the airflow through the filter; you don't want the air to have an easy way through the fan that doesn't get the air moved through the filter.
  • The Endless Breeze (and some others) are already rather quiet, but for somewhat less noise, you can remove the fan grill on the side that faces inside the box.
  • If the cardboard box is a little noisy with all this going on, drape a heavy blanket on the top and over the sides that don't have the fan or filter, to damp the vibration.

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:26 am

Canoe, Thank you. That is a great idea. My neighbor said there isn't a air purifier within 100 miles. He looked.

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:05 am

Nov. 21 7:06 a.m.
80% contained
3 firefighter injuries - 81 civilian fatalities
13,503 residences, 514 commercial and 4,404 other buildings
5,100 structures threatened
Total Fire Personnel: 3,745
Total Fire Engines: 308
Total Fire Crews: 73
Total Helicopters: 8
Total Dozers: 32
Total Water Tenders: 40

Once the expected rain/storm blows through, if it's taken the smoke away and your indoors has more smoke particles than outside:
  • Go for a cross breeze, or if a breeze is mild or absent,
  • Put a fan in a window (cardboard can block the excess window space) on the downwind side blowing outwards, other windows closed but bedroom windows open so the bedrooms clear first,
    - or cycle through the other windows, give each a turn at open to get the incoming fresh air clearing that room, working your way back from the window furthest from the fan that is blowing outwards.
  • Change your furnace filter.
If your indoors got inundated by smoke, you should probably check online on Smoke Damage what may be required to remove such contamination from bedding, ceilings, walls, counters, etc., vacuum vs. wet wipe, and with what, protection masks, etc.. If you got soot or ash indoors, cleaning this up can put you at risk. Research.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:29 pm

You gotta wonder ...

So we got some rain here and there but for the most part it’s drizzling...

My dogs decided to go up the hillside and curl up under a pine tree and take the drizzle.

I went up there to check it out and they do not want to go nowhere. They’re wet, curled up in their dugouts and happy.

Dogs know.

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:43 pm

It poured here in the bay area for a short while. I hope they get some heavy rains north of here.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:48 pm

Nice and slow to soak in is good. Especially if that primes it to accept more water later.

...WIND ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM NOON THURSDAY TO 4 PM PST
FRIDAY...
...FLASH FLOOD WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT THROUGH FRIDAY MORNING...
...Major change to Winter Weather today into the Holiday
Weekend...
A major change in the weather pattern is coming to NorCal starting
today. A series of winter like storms will plow through NorCal
bringing rain, winds and mountain snow to the region. The first
system will arrive later today pushing through the north state
tonight. Another system will move though late Thursday and
Thursday night with one last system pushing through on Friday and
Saturday.

Surface winds, Total Precipitable Water
surface winds, TtlPrecipWater 2018-11-21 22.35 UTC.jpg
https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/w ... 034,64.086
https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/w ... 034,64.086
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Token

Post by Token » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:14 pm

Sadly, radar shows all the rain going to Chico and hit and miss for all other areas.

It’s conspiracy theory crazy how the rain bands are flowing.

I wouldn’t mind some more further down south where I’m at.

All the prep I did and ... drizzle.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:44 pm

There's also the 3-hour Precipitation Accumulation overlay. And you can enter setup and under Control you can step forwards to see what is forecast.

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/w ... 352,39.447

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:36 pm

Canoe wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:44 pm
There's also the 3-hour Precipitation Accumulation overlay. And you can enter setup and under Control you can step forwards to see what is forecast.

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/w ... 352,39.447
this is another good one:
https://www.windy.com/?12.383,-117.949,3
there are many toggles and forecasts and such.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:13 pm

ygmir wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:36 pm
this is another good one:
https://www.windy.com/?12.383,-117.949,3
there are many toggles and forecasts and such.
Nice!
That's much easier to use.
And you can change the range of the accumulation.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:47 pm

There's a lot of news articles about people all over Cal and anywhere downwind getting hit with a lot of smoke particles from the various fires.
One expert with an air quality meter notes that "old homes are very leaky and in smoky conditions that is BAD. Polluted air infiltrates the house through all kinds of penetrations: older windows and doors, electrical outlets, plumbing fixtures etc." He recommended taping cracks and windows to prevent infiltration.
Many recently constructed homes and some that have undergone extensive retrofits have a mechanical ventilation system to ensure they get enough outside air under normal conditions - in most cases, these should be turned off during severe outdoor air pollution events. (In California the most common system is an exhaust fan in the laundry room that is designed for continuous operation. Elsewhere the systems may bring in outdoor air through the forced air system, with a control on the thermostat or "Air Cycler" unit.)
The exception is a system with a high-efficiency filter. If you live in an ultra-tight home, such as a Passive House, you should not turn off your ventilation system. Instead, you should rely on filtration.
https://www.treehugger.com/green-archit ... e-out.html
FILTER UPDATE
Canoe wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:07 pm
  • To filter the smallest particles practical, get a MERV-13, FPR 10, or MPR 1500-1900 rated furnace filter
There are some reports that some people are using a MERV-13 or equivilent filter and an activated charcoal filter, to filter out more of the wood smoke smells.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:45 am

Nov. 22 7:27 a.m.
90% contained
Expected Full Containment: 11/30/18
3 firefighter injuries - 83 civilian fatalities
13,906 residences, 514 commercial and 4,232 other buildings
Total Fire Personnel: 1,885
Total Fire Engines: 151
Total Fire Crews: 22
Total Helicopters: 9
Total Dozers: 18
Total Water Tenders: 12

Unaccounted For list is at 869.
http://www.buttecounty.net/sheriffcoroner
http://campfirerapiddna.com/

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:19 pm

Canoe wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:38 am
Camp Fire info/resources
http://www.buttecounty.net/
numerous links, including
https://www.buttecounty.net/News-Announ ... ouncements
http://www.buttecounty.net/sheriffcoroner (for Camp Fire Missing Persons list)
Camp Fire related info & links is gone from main page at http://www.buttecounty.net/
New link is provided https://buttecountyrecovers.org/
The link on buttecounty.net routes through facebook for some reason...

Unaccounted For link still works http://www.buttecounty.net/sheriffcoroner to get the link to the list.

Nov 22, 2018 7:00 pm
Containment: 95%
3 firefighter injuries - 83 civilian fatalities vs. 84 civilian fatalities > sources conflict
13,906 residences, 514 commercial and 4,232 other buildings
Unaccounted For list is 605 long.
Total Fire Personnel: 1,650
Total Fire Crews: 21
Total Helicopters: 5
Total Dozers: 5
Total Water Tenders: 10

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:41 pm

https://buttecountyrecovers.org/Maps

Has Drone Images, sample 360 images, Evacuation Map, and Cal Fire Structure Status map.

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:21 pm

wow, there was just a post on my neighborhood group, that a tree just fell across a power line and is on fire......luckily, it's pouring rain, so no real fire spread danger.....and I'm not home... What a difference a few days can make in an event.
If this had happened last week, it could easily mirrored the Camp fire. same terrain, flora, and population density
dodged a bullet this time...
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:30 pm

ygmir wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:21 pm
... If this had happened last week, it could easily mirrored the Camp fire. same terrain, flora, and population density
dodged a bullet this time...
And that is why, for at least some time forward, that risk appears to be a/the new norm.
There are so many stories from so many affected people, each painting a _________ (insert your word of choice here - I can't come up with one that does any of the stories justice) picture of what they went through. So when they interview an evacuee in a shelter who says that other evacuees have moved on, not just out of the shelter but out of state with no intent to come back, I think they've found their new news sound bite.

But then, if Camp Fire type incidents - at whatever scale - are the new norm, or perceived to be, that may not be just a sound bite. And if you've lost pretty much everything, and it's going to be ages before the toxic/carcinogenic debris is cleared from the sites (yours, and others whose debris can blow onto yours again), and utilities rebuilt, and its unknown if/when a safe water supply may be affected, and a working town infrastructure in place, and how many people wanting a builder for how many homes, with an ongoing/recurring drought with various fire incidents all over every year, how much does it take before you decide to move on.

Token

Post by Token » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:40 pm

Canoe wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:30 pm

And if you've lost pretty much everything, and it's going to be ages before the toxic/carcinogenic debris is cleared from the sites (yours, and others whose debris can blow onto yours again), and utilities rebuilt, and its unknown if/when a safe water supply may be affected, and a working town infrastructure in place, and how many people wanting a builder for how many homes, with an ongoing/recurring drought with various fire incidents all over every year, how much does it take before you decide to move on.
I think you won the run-on sentence of the decade award with that one. ;)

After the Bute Fire 2015 in my neck of the woods, lots of folks just moved out and did not rebuild.

These fires are hitting areas where people often can’t afford insurance.

After the fire in 2015 almost all the major insurance companies just stopped underwriting in the area, so even if you had insurance money to rebuild you could not insure again after.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:07 pm

Somewhat of a tangent, yet not.

Chico, California brewery Sierra Nevada has created an IPA called Resilience IPA, with 100 percent of sales going to the Camp Fire fund. Malt and hop suppliers have also said they will donate raw ingredients for the brewing of this beer. The brewery has made the recipe available, and more than 400 breweries around the country have pledged to all brew the exact same IPA recipe.

https://thetakeout.com/sierra-nevada-re ... 1830590023

Resilience IPA
https://www.sierranevada.com/resilience ... -proud-ipa

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:22 pm

Published on November 14, 2018.
Drone flyover of parts of Paradise.
Includes the mobile home park with the home with the melted skirt surviving in the middle of over 70 destroyed. (back on the second page of this thread)
In two angles, you get a glimpse in the corner of the park, one assessed with partial damage, the other 'no visible damage'.

There's been lots in the news, but if your head isn't in a strong place, don't watch this.
(intentional space in middle of 'link' so it won't embed)
www.youtube.com/ watch?v=UkVdrTMZMEY

Same for this one, on the search in Paradise for the missing (WARNING: includes potential remains).
www.youtube.com/ watch?v=obJuR3OTGIA

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:41 pm

buttecountryrecovers.org has dropped its update page of links
http://www.fire.ca.gov/current_incident ... Index/2277

November 25, 2018 7:11 am
Acres Burned - Containment: 153,336 acres - 100% contained
Structures Destroyed: 13,972 residences, 528 commercial and 4,293 other buildings
3 firefighter injuries - 85 civilian fatalities
Unaccounted For list: 271

Total Fire Personnel: 1,065
Total Fire Engines: 73
Total Fire Crews: 11
Total Helicopters: 2
Total Dozers: 3
Total Water Tenders: 3

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:04 am

Canoe wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:41 pm
Unaccounted For list: 271
Unaccounted went from 271 up to 296.
Now that Unaccounted For list is 203.

News from the 25th says fatalities are now 88, searching continues.
No more fire incident updates, so that official source can't confirm.

Twitter had a release from Kory L. Honea Sheriff.Coroner dated November 26, 2018
Fatality count: 88 (54 tentatively identified)
Unaccounted for: 203
Accounted for: 2,689

I can't find current releases/news on sites buttecounty.net, buttecountyrecovers.org, nor buttecounty.net/sheriffcoroner.

Token

Post by Token » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:36 am

Allot of people on the list from Magalia.

They had no way out other than North and into the thicket and the reservoir.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:47 pm

Unaccounted For list at 158.

On the radio while returning to town, story about a man in Colorado who got somebody to sell him an RV at a good price. Next he got people to donate/buy supplies to equip it. Then he and his daughter drove it to Chico and gave it to a family who needed a way to keep their four children.
Maybe I'll win the lottery.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/state/calif ... 60460.html
In a written order, U.S. District Judge William Alsup in San Francisco told PG&E to explain whether “reckless operation or maintenance of PG&E power lines” started a wildfire — and whether that might constitute a violation of the terms of the utility’s probation.

PG&E was found guilty in federal court of obstruction of justice and other charges in connection with the 2010 San Bruno disaster, which killed eight people and injured 58 others. At sentencing in January 2017, the utility was placed on five years’ probation, fined $3 million and ordered to perform thousands of hours of community service.

The probation sentence included a prohibition against committing further crimes.

Aside from the criminal case, the San Bruno catastrophe was a major crisis for PG&E. The utility was fined $1.6 billion by regulators and paid out hundreds of millions of dollars in civil settlements.

Alsup told the utility to provide “an accurate and complete statement of the role, if any, of PG&E in causing and reporting the recent Camp Fire in Butte County and all other wildfires in California” since PG&E was placed on probation in January 2017.
https://patch.com/california/chico/camp ... ning-power
PG&E Co. has told the California Public Utilities Commission that it didn't turn off electricity in the area of the deadly Camp Fire in Butte County on the day the blaze began because it had forecast that winds had diminished below the level that would trigger a shutoff.

Token

Post by Token » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:46 am

It’s crazy that PGE got tagged criminally for the gas explosion but not for the dozens of fires it is found “negligent” in causing.

It eerily suggests that Lady Justice isn’t as blind as she is supposed to be, with urban events resulting in criminal convictions and much larger and more costly events in terms of lives and property lost in the rural areas get civil convictions.

Here is their scoresheet which is still incomplete for the 2017 fires ...

https://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/8413 ... ent-caused

Return to “Open Discussion”