Burning Man Usability Study: spare 5 minutes?

All things outside of Burning Man.
voidkiwi
Burning Since: 2019

Burning Man Usability Study: spare 5 minutes?

Post by voidkiwi » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:40 am

hi all, i'm a university student in a prototyping design class, and my project is to redesign functions of the burning man site to be more usable. in order to do that, i need to get some feedback from actual people via testing.

linked below is a card sorting activity that should take no more than 5 - 10 minutes to complete. it is simply organizing information into categories. if you have some extra time to spare, i'd greatly appreciate it! :^)

here is the link to the study!

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Re: Burning Man Usability Study: spare 5 minutes?

Post by Token » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:01 pm

I don’t do anyone’s homework as a matter of principle, but in this case I’m willing to add some commentary for the greater good of the human condition.

You, my dear Kiwi, are both blessed and cursed with this assignment;

Blessed because the BM website is one of the singular examples of absolutely the worst of the worst of internet web sites.

Cursed because your chosen site has mountains of unstructured data that needs to be seen yet doesn’t follow any sensible or logical classification.

Sadly, when someone has that much junk to share on the web, the only reasonable solution is a Wiki, but what’s the fun in that?

So we have what we have - a giant turd with lipstick on it.

It’s pretty tho.

Why don’t you share some ideas you have to spark the conversation instead of asking folks to do your homework with some lame-ass survey?

Perpetual Burn
Burning Since: 2021

Post by Perpetual Burn » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:34 pm

^^^... aaaaand welcome to ePlaya!

Radical Dissclusion!

Edit... that was super easy.
Last edited by Perpetual Burn on Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Funfinity manifeats Mettatacular pHazes
Dancipate white hazes of Esplenadazes
SwimInfinite Dust as Defaultia lusts
Unpossibility reigns nonlimited mindbusts
Rollbliterate ego ~n~ drop dosasses, Monases
Spuntaneous artKarmaval ~ Burn Bright All

voidkiwi

Post by voidkiwi » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:18 pm

Token wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:01 pm
Why don’t you share some ideas you have to spark the conversation instead of asking folks to do your homework with some lame-ass survey?
thanks for your feedback!

this isn’t exactly “homework” per say; while qualitative feedback is extremely valuable, in my field of user experience, we also have to back our design decisions with quantitative research, which is where the card sorting test comes in. it’s not the most fun thing in the world to do, i know, but it’s a pretty standard practice in UX research, and so i must do what i must do.

but again, your feedback is extremely helpful! :^)

DoctorIknow
Burning Since: 1998

Post by DoctorIknow » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:45 pm

I would normally skip, but Token took the plunge, so...

I like the categories and it was fun making hierarchies

It did take only a few minutes, but while doing it, I remembered that anytime I want info, I first go to Google search and find what I want on the BM site. Otherwise, I just don't bother with the BM site that looks more like branding than actually helping new or old burners. What is the ultimate goal of such concerted effort to brand wherever, whenever, in excess?

voidkiwi

Post by voidkiwi » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:10 pm

DoctorIknow wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:45 pm
What is the ultimate goal of such concerted effort to brand wherever, whenever, in excess?
my goal is to improve the usability of the site. i’ve identified that a combination of the poor organization combined with the little-to-no hierarchy leaves navigating the site pretty confusing.

Perpetual Burn
Burning Since: 2021

Post by Perpetual Burn » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:45 pm

voidkiwi wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:10 pm
DoctorIknow wrote:
What is the ultimate goal of such concerted effort to brand wherever, whenever, in excess?
my goal is to improve the usability of the site. i’ve identified that a combination of the poor organization combined with the little-to-no hierarchy leaves navigating the site pretty confusing.
I've always found that a little amusing about the site... it's like a maze, you'll find what you're looking for... and you'll find unexpected interesting things...

Since there's a population cap, do we really want any of it to be more accessible? I find the oddities of the site quite Burntacular.

Maybe you should intentionally furthur discombobulate it...
Funfinity manifeats Mettatacular pHazes
Dancipate white hazes of Esplenadazes
SwimInfinite Dust as Defaultia lusts
Unpossibility reigns nonlimited mindbusts
Rollbliterate ego ~n~ drop dosasses, Monases
Spuntaneous artKarmaval ~ Burn Bright All

voidkiwi

Post by voidkiwi » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:56 pm

Perpetual Burn wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:45 pm
voidkiwi wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:10 pm
DoctorIknow wrote:
Since there's a population cap, do we really want any of it to be more accessible? I find the oddities of the site quite Burntacular.
one of the things i’m trying to achieve is to
retain its authenticity and i suppose the “burntacularness” as you’ve put it, haha. i’m trying to do that but improve its general usability. that’s certainly something i’m mentioning in the report.

Return to “Open Discussion”