Idle Chat Thread

All things outside of Burning Man.
III

Post by III » Sat Dec 06, 2003 10:31 am

>point out the myopia in Nipples's thinking

bah. you get one true piece of creative wonderful writing (oozing with delightful irony) and you've gotta go all professor kennelworth on it...
[url]http://3playa.cultureshark.net/[/url]

Sanjanaclouds

Re: wooden dick/trojan horse

Post by Sanjanaclouds » Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:46 am

nipples wrote: i have three huge penis' under a tarp in my garage & am willing to travel. Any ideas?

I think you should take them to my alma mater Mount Saint Mary's. You could place them right in the middle of the quad, lined up all nice and pretty.... I'm sure the seminarians would get a kick out of that. :wink:
~Moon and Tides~

Wind_Borne

Post by Wind_Borne » Sat Dec 06, 2003 2:10 pm

III wrote:> you've gotta go all professor kennelworth on it...
III,
I'm unfamiliar with that reference. Please elucidate.
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."
-- George Washington

III

Post by III » Sat Dec 06, 2003 2:29 pm

>unfamiliar with that reference

(this'll date me)

in the 70's, the national lampoon had an occaisional column called "professor kennelworth dissects the joke" in which professor kennelworth would take a moderatly amusing joke (say for instance the "what do you call a dog with no legs" one) and proceed to explain why it was completely lacking in humor ("because even a dog with no legs will squirm and writhe and worm himself forward on his bleeding stumps to come when you call it") over the course of several pages. in doing so, he completely exposed his inability to relate to the world in any sort of human or emotional fashion, or any appreciation for art whatsoever. of course, in that case, it was intended to be ironic and funny. it *was* the national lampoon, after all.
[url]http://3playa.cultureshark.net/[/url]

Wind_Borne

Post by Wind_Borne » Sat Dec 06, 2003 3:13 pm

Thanks, III.

Your observation was apt and I'll take it to heart.

My apologies to Nipples. His piece was amusing and universal. I imagine many of us have been in like situations -- but not so worthy of the telling as Nipples's story. I went off on a train of thought provoked by Nipples's opening paragraph. If my clumsy remarks detracted from Nipples's story, I humbly appologize.
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."
-- George Washington

Last Real Burner

Are we there yet?...

Post by Last Real Burner » Mon Dec 08, 2003 10:21 am

Aren't we a coulple of weeks away from ticket sales. and what the hell is the theme for this year "Anticipation"Image

"Of course it's hot, thats why the sign says "HOT", stupid!"
questionally,
mr smith
"Do you know what happened to the boy who got everything he wished for? - He lived happily ever after".

stu

Post by stu » Mon Dec 08, 2003 10:22 pm

Nipples, aren't you going to take them to Tokyo with you?

ciao and love
<i>What's</i> my fucking gift?

nipples

Post by nipples » Tue Dec 09, 2003 8:56 am

Oh, they've been to Tokyo!

My mom & her sisters graduated Mount Mary.....

I'm thinking of putting them somewhere remote. Like on a mountain top. I loved the story a while back about 70 or so pairs of shoes filled with butter found by hikers in the Nederlands(?). Give someone a laugh intead of anquish. I really should get rid of them soon though... will be traveling in January, to New Mexico I think. Have picked a mountian top on a map.. it has a little picture of a tent on it.. near Soccoro. I hope there is really a little tent up there, and not just a picture of a tent.

Last Real Burner

** News Flash ** MICHAEL JACKSON Joins The NATION OF ISLAM?

Post by Last Real Burner » Fri Dec 19, 2003 8:04 am

surprise it's now

Jacko X

:roll:

"It's not the fall that kills you it's the stopping."
decreasingly,
mr smith
"Do you know what happened to the boy who got everything he wished for? - He lived happily ever after".

Last Real Burner

....Hurry! It's the Last Weekend of the year!!!.....

Post by Last Real Burner » Sun Dec 28, 2003 8:25 am

Just lazin around on this Sunday afternoon. Got shit to do but don't feel like doing it.... I think it's nappy time..... Where's my ba-ba? Maybe a swim and a steam at the gym, yeah... that's the ticket. what are you doing right now... even more important, what are you wearing (I hope it has something to do with clown shoes)

undecidedly,
mr smith

Last Real Burner

Shit, Shit, Shit...

Post by Last Real Burner » Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:28 pm

I hate it when I realise all that I know can be summed up in one thought. I guess it's ok if i succumb to the reality that I can learn more even at my age.

rick

Owl

Have you noticed?

Post by Owl » Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:04 pm

At the extreme risk of going off subject, have any of you noticed how much more consumerism (I think thats how its spelled) there is at buning man every year? Hardly anyone even bothers to cover up the logos on thier rental vehicles, and I think I might have seen people not in the cafe or Camp Arctica selling stuff, I mean... its great you guys can make an honest buck, but could you do it somewhere not burningman? if you need money for the ride home, work at the cafe or C.A. and collect tip money, please. :?

stuart

Post by stuart » Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:18 pm

perhaps you saw me selling stuff. I was running the esplanade souvenir shop. T-shirts and few other nick nacks. Were you pissed? Some other folk were annoyed, even confused.

anyway, it was all a big spoof. I was just giving shit away. The whole tourist store thing was a gag. Was it in poor taste?

Owl

Post by Owl » Fri Jan 09, 2004 6:24 pm

s'okay i wasn't really pissed, I was just surprized that more and more commerce is being found in a supposed commerce-free area, as for the taste, i dont like to judge, im sure it was funny to you and your friends...

Wind_Borne

Photos 2002 2003

Post by Wind_Borne » Wed Jan 21, 2004 12:33 am

Hi Folks,

I just put up some photos from the 2002 and 2003 burns here http://www.windborne.org. Enjoy!
-- George Washington

foamin' at the mouth
Location: that fishing village designed by interior decorators

Post by foamin' at the mouth » Wed Jan 21, 2004 8:16 am

Wow, those are lovely Winbourne-

I only viewed some as I'm home, on my dial-up. Those night time shots--particularly of the spinners and the people on the stairs of the man --are lovely.

All of your shots are so well framed too. It's almost not fair.
I often heard the sorrel nag (who always loved me) crying out, ..."Take care of thyself, gentle Yahoo."

Wind_Borne

Post by Wind_Borne » Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:07 am

Thanks. I find night shots on digital challenging -- I confess I did not post my many failures ;-)

Shooting film in 2000 and 2001 I got great night shots -- at the expense of burning a lot of film bracketing the exposures. Then while sitting on top of an art car next to a new friend, waiting for the temple burn, I was impressed by her digital camera and its instant feedback. So I came back in 2002 with a digital camera. I like the feedback and the savings on film. I don't like the delay between pushing the shutter and capturing the image, or the poor low-light sensitivity. On my next digital camera fast shutter response and high effective ASA will be considerations. Anyone have tips on night digital photography?
-- George Washington

Dyna-lite

Post by Dyna-lite » Wed Jan 21, 2004 1:55 pm

Nice images Wind_Borne

Night digital photography?

Umm.....bring a tripod maybe. If you want to get fancy dancy bring a spot meter too. Shooting at night shouldn't be that tough. I always try to hitch hike on what ambient light there might be. Slow shutter /rear curtain flash shots of people are my favorite BM shots. I'll be bringing my Nikon D1X this year to the playa.

whew...my first post here in months. Think i'll poke around and
see what's up. So many new names.

[/img]

Wind_Borne

Post by Wind_Borne » Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:34 am

Nice shot, Dyna-lite.

My 2.5 year old digital Nikon seems to have an effective ASA around 100 -- kind of slow for night stuff. Are the newer units showing improvement in sensitivity; and what brands lead?
-- George Washington

Last Real Burner

.........Whye Knot?...

Post by Last Real Burner » Sun Jan 25, 2004 2:18 am

Eye Halve a Spelling Chequer

Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
Its rarely ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it
I am shore your pleased two no
Its letter perfect in it's weigh
My chequer tolled me sew.

-- Sauce unknown

"I come in piece... "

moistly,
mr smeth

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 26, 2004 4:50 pm

dyna-lite, how long was the exposure on that shot? nice work.

nipples

Post by nipples » Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:36 pm

My parents are at the age of 75 & mailed each of us "kids"
a packet including a list of things we want, when they "die".

I realized at first that I do not want any of it, that it should all stay forever as it always has been in their house with them simply living within it.

They pressed me, and I had to ask to include on the list for me, just a Chinese Dog sculpture. It was a great influence on me artistically, fan-tailed flames, rounded spires & muscles quite alive.

My father was the international advertising executive for 3M company in the 60's & 70's, and an aquaintance from Japan had flown overseas with it on his lap. Yes, overseas, on his lap.

The Japanese 3M advertising executive whom brought it said (from my childhood memory) that after the Dog was carved, it was placed in a kiln & smoked without ever being seen for 250 years.... the rings of smoke upon it evident.

Also that a gift is something you yourself want.
It had been in his family for pretty much forever, and he gave it to my dad.

So anyways, that is something.

I'd never purposely gifted anyone in recompence for that Chinese dog, but have done so, once, now that I think of it almost exactly, 27 years later.

Something i carved most intricately, wooden lily pads & ceramic lily flower suspended over a most incredibly rare rock by thin brass rods, with a ceramic green frog sitting, blessed by a white winged angel. It was something i'd fervently rather "kept".. i gave him the perfect set, keeping the flawed cracked arm & flower dupilcate for myself . He was a scientist, mathematicially purer might his need? Perhaps, or not.

He came over from Vietnam as it "fell", literally on the last plane out of Hanoi. High schooled in California, college Ivy League though dirt poor. Quite brilliant. Me a volunteer radiation therapy waiting room attendent in rural Minnesota setting in his path this possibly crappy kitch Americana thing, on one of his last days before heading once again to California.. I hope to God he finds peace there.

Anyways, I liked him, & my gift was seemingly as unlikely as was the Chinese Dog.

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:56 am

Nipples...

Nice story. Lots of things being said in there. It’s kinda’ strange when you come to the realization that time never slows, and family and loved ones won’t always be right there where you left them. Everyone of us have the same destination in this world, regardless of what you did in life. I guess the trick is to face living with honesty and deal with things as they come to you. One of the most important aspects in life, to me at least, is sharing stories. By telling them we are sharing a part of who we are and so contributing to the growth of another person. We are a living sculpture of sounds and situations, ever forming and changing. And in turn, we pass bits of ourselves on to those who come after us. Kind of like passing a living flame I suppose. The story may have been long forgotten, but its effects are a little part of who you are... and thus part of who your great-great grandchildren will be.

The carved dog is great. Man... that’s a heavy item. Often gifts that are the most unlikely are the one’s with the most profound impact. The Japanese gentleman must have had great respect for your father to gift something so full of heart. I love to gift things to people and make them smile. I especially enjoy when they can sense the soul in it. Most of my metal work goes into new residential construction. It gives me great pleasure when the home owner sees the finished piece and can see the heart I’ve put into it. I stamp my mark into everything I do. Long after I’m gone, my work will be around. And for those who’ll listen, it will say, “I was here! I was a living, breathing person. I laughed and cried, and I felt emotion. I was alive and I was here!”. The chisel marks on your dog and the marks on the work you gifted say the same. But your gift to your friend says something else too... “You had an impact on my life and I care enough about you to give you this, that I have made.” I doubt that will be forgotten.

Man, I just love stories... keep telling, keep telling. And the fact that I can write a heart felt letter that starts with “Nipples” is pretty swell too.

M

Dyna-lite

Post by Dyna-lite » Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:53 pm

how long was the exposure
Probably around 3 seconds. Can't remember. I was actually pretty wasted at the time I took that night shot. I do know I shot it with my a Nikon F4 using Kodak Ektachrome 100S. I rated the ISO for 125.

Something from this last year

Spokes

Post by Spokes » Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:32 pm

One of the most important aspects in life, to me at least, is sharing stories. By telling them we are sharing a part of who we are and so contributing to the growth of another person. We are a living sculpture of sounds and situations, ever forming and changing. And in turn, we pass bits of ourselves on to those who come after us. Kind of like passing a living flame I suppose. The story may have been long forgotten, but its effects are a little part of who you are... and thus part of who your great-great grandchildren will be.
<swoon>
Last edited by Spokes on Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:38 pm

Wow... Dyna-lite...

Good eye. I really impressed. And to the lady in the photo, Good on ya!!! I like your style.

M

foamin' at the mouth

Post by foamin' at the mouth » Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:49 pm

Nipples,
your story touched me and it fired up several synapses at once surfacing a memory So I just went digging around to see if I could find something-and I did. And, since I can't merely continue to enjoy your narratives like a greedy sucubus without humbly offering you something from my own grubby hands, I submit a story to you in exchange. It was not, however, written by me. It was written by a man in conjunction with a project I did-one that I still feel very good about.

In 1998 I worked on a project about human memory. As part of that I worked with three classes of adult immigrants who were learning English I asked them if they would be willing to place on exhibit some object that they carried with them to the States from their home country and if they would be willing to write a story about what it meant to them(why they brought it with them) in their home language and then translate it into English. The stories in the two languages would serve as the 'label' to their exhibited object.

Things that get carried with people --on laps- and in pockets from home countries are not always so elegant as your statue but their meaning is profound enough, I think, even if the object's physicality is prosaic. We had 60 things on display -ranging from little cards, to elaborate carvings, and there were 13 languages and 28 countries represented by the things people carried to here from there
with them.

This one is for you. It was written by a man who then went to become a Catholic monk. The object that accompanied it was a white plastic ruler with all of the 'dead presidents' faces and names printed in red ink. I think there also might have been the name of a carpet supply store on one end:

"This ruler is a memory to my cousin Nguyen Thanh Quang. By early 1991, he had arrived in Hong Kong, and so had I. He was given this ruler as a gift by one of his friends. On November 25, 1995, when he was forcibly repatriated to Vietnam by the United Nation High Commision for Refugee and Hong Kong government, he gave it to me as a farewel gift.
"This ruler was a very valuable thing to him. He considered it a sign of good luck and his dream for several years was that one day he would come to the US, the land of freedom. But unfortunately, his dream did not come true. On the day he was forced to repatriated, he cried a lot, and I did too. Giving the ruler to me, he said: “You know, if I take this ruler back with me, I will be in trouble with the Vietnamese government. I want you to keep it to remember me.”
"I have been keeping this ruler as a valuable memory because it reminds me of my unlucky cousin, as well as almost one hundred thousand Vietnamese refugees, who were forcibly repatriated to Vietnam. It also reminds me not to waste anything in my new life in the US, where many refugees have been yearning to enter but can’t. My life has been very lucky. I should live it out as worthily as I can."
I often heard the sorrel nag (who always loved me) crying out, ..."Take care of thyself, gentle Yahoo."

BlueBirdPoof

Post by BlueBirdPoof » Tue Jan 27, 2004 4:13 pm

Bring a tear to my eye will you, Foam

Your story reminds me of the conversation I had with my sister a few weeks ago. She's (amoung other things) working with refugees who end up in England looking for political asylum under the Geneva Convention. Right now, England has asylum rules directly out of Catch-22. You have to apply for asylum immediately after landing--and some of these people don't speak the language or they came there on container ships or have no idea where to go or thought they were going to Canada. Making it out of some of those regimes and then having to go back can be an automatic death sentance.

And then there's the bizarrely grotesque thing my grandmother told me about leaving Germany in the late 30s. "We were amoung the last to get out with our furniture." I carry the refugee identity pretty heavy in some ways. . .

foamin' at the mouth

Post by foamin' at the mouth » Tue Jan 27, 2004 4:59 pm

Thanks Bluebird Poof
it was this quote that triggered the memory i think.
He came over from Vietnam as it "fell", literally on the last plane out of Hanoi. High schooled in California, college Ivy League though dirt poor. Quite brilliant. Me a volunteer radiation therapy waiting room attendent in rural Minnesota setting in his path this possibly crappy kitch Americana thing, on one of his last days before heading once again to California.. I hope to God he finds peace there.

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Wed Jan 28, 2004 6:24 pm

I like the idea of something so simple, even corny by some standards, taking on a whole new meaning in the eyes of someone so desperately trying to make it in and live “The American Dream”. And the fact that particular dream never materialized making it all the more important in the eyes of the cousin that did. I always take note when browsing through a flea market or antique store of things like that, because the majority of treasured items eventually pass through these types of places sooner or later. I swear sometimes I can sense the... hell, I don’t know... emotion or vibe... or maybe “aura” might be a better term, in different things. I really do feel that people impart a bit of themselves into their creations and things that they cherish, or perhaps more correctly stated, the things that represent the things they cherish. I’ve picked up some things that seem warm to me and I’ve picked up some stuff that just feels damn creepy too.

One of my favorite little items is a nut bowl that my brother gave me. He picked it up in an antique shop in Lou. This thing is about 8" or so in diameter and maybe an 1-1/2" deep. Woodburned around the outside of the bowl is, “When Winter’s Winds Blow Harsh and Cold, Let Nuts Be Cracked and Stories Told”. And the whole bowl, inside and out, is woodburned with a very intricate, albeit definitely homemade, Oak leaf and Acorn design. On the back is an inscription of From:/To: and a date of the late 1800's, although I don’t remember the names or specific date off the top of my head, nor do I have the bowl in front of the at the moment. The whole thing has a decidedly hand-done feel to it and I have to think it was a “See how much I love you” kind of courtship gift, since the young lady had a different last name than her suitor. This guy put a lot of time and heart into his gift and I sure hope it helped win her over for him. I always wonder about the tales contained within little items like that. The coolest thing to me was that this bowl, found in Kentucky, was also inscribed along with the date, “Asheville, NC”. Where I lived at the time. Perhaps the most confounding was that it could ever make into an antique shop.

M

Return to “Open Discussion”