Fuck!

All things outside of Burning Man.
Lydia Love

Post by Lydia Love » Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:33 pm

a neighbor with a good long ladder took pity on my stupid kitty.

she's down and I'm very relieved.
It's all about the squirrels.

stuart

Post by stuart » Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:44 pm

aw fuck
I passed 3K and did not even notice
call me baby

bullD

Post by bullD » Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:07 pm

Lydia Love wrote:a neighbor with a good long ladder took pity on my stupid kitty.

she's down and I'm very relieved.
fucking yeahhhh!

RebA!

Post by RebA! » Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:27 pm

So I was having a great day at work today. A customer called up to thank me personally for such a good job on a cake I decorated for her grandson.

he liked it so much he sat infront of the cake freezer for 5 minutes just looking at it. Everyone (from the family) was stunned how good it came out. ANd she wanted to tell me herself how special I made thier day.

I was beaming.

Then that stupid work annoyance happened and threw my great day all to shit.

Fuck. Why when your on top of the world does someone have to swipe you back down.
"My husband and I are either going to buy a dog or have a child. We can't decide whether to ruin our carpets or ruin our lives."
--Rita Rudner

geekster

Post by geekster » Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:09 am

Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.

bullD

Post by bullD » Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:31 am

Yep, fucking sucks. But, He had to know this was going to happen. This is, after all, Marin county.

Martiansky
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: --->Hushville

Post by Martiansky » Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:39 am

FUCK-ERS!!

Minnesota no longer offers tele-file for doing your income taxes! Time for a new FUCKING Governer!! Cheap Fucks!
I already did my Federal return by telefile, so since I did that I will have to pay to file state tax online!! Bullshit! I'm mailing the damn thing!!

Ok, I feel better...whew! Thanks!
So the theme this year is like a giant camp out in the desert? With people bringing lots of shit from all over? uh.. -Marscrumbs

geekster

Post by geekster » Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:44 am

What do you mean "it had to happen"? Why the fuck would anyone in their right mind think David Best would burn a temple in San Rafael? This is a series of several chapels as an art display. We are planning to drive up to Santa Rosa to see another one of this series. I wish I knew who that pinhead property owner was. People burn candles in wooden structures all the time ... they are called HOUSES. Just because he goes to Burning Man doesn't mean he has to burn every peice of artwork he does. What a numbskull!

For people that might not see the link, San Rafael is ordering David Best to tear down a "Chapel for the Laborers" he built in San Rafael becase the property owner is afraid he is going to burn it. He got permission from the woman that leases the property.

I am just so fucking sad.

geekster

Post by geekster » Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:50 am

Fuck it, here's the entire article ....

Temple of Doom

Burning Man's renowned temple-builder, David Best, was one day from completing a towering art project dedicated to the day laborers in San Rafael's canal district when the city decided it was all too much.

"The Chapel of the Laborer," a small-scale version of the respected plywood structures that Best builds for the weeklong festival in the Nevada desert and then burns in remembrance of the dead, was to be a temporary sanctuary where Latinos could gather, pray or light a candle for loved ones.

One of six pieces in a new exhibit titled "Offerings and Sanctuaries," the chapel sits on a busy corner in front of a Mexican grocery store on Bellam Boulevard. It was created from scraps donated by a company that makes wooden toys, and it has a bench, shrine and large ceramic Madonna. Best spent a month prepping for the piece, and a 30-member crew worked four days to erect it.

But this week the city received a complaint and ordered Best to stop construction immediately. Yellow caution tape now lines the front of the 30- foot-tall structure, and a stop-work order sits near the Virgin Mary's hand.

The grumbling was coming from the property owner, worried that the Nevada craziness would not work at all in the city.

"She went ballistic," said Best, of Petaluma, who will begin today ripping down the structure, which sits in a grassy area near the store entrance. "I had no intention of burning it at all."

Leo Haginicols, who with his mother owns the site, said the family is not against artwork or worship. But they were concerned that Best might burn down the structure.

Although the woman who leases the Bellam Produce Market approved the project, the property owner did not. Haginicols said the tenant should have asked before giving Best the green light.

"We didn't authorize or know about this until we drove by and it was 30 feet in the air," Haginicols said. "Our main concern is the liability, having public art on private property and candles inside a wooden structure.

"They can put it in a park, no problem."

But Best doesn't want to put it in a park. He was excited about the market location because of the crowds of day laborers who gather in front of the store each day. And, as far as he knew, everything had been approved.

"I wanted to break into a poor community, to build a central location where the laborers could reflect," said Best, adding that he will not rebuild the chapel somewhere else. "But the city has made us all illegal -- the Virgin Mary, the day laborers and me."

Julie Long, who leases the market, would not comment on the controversy but started to cry at the thought of the piece being removed.

"I've been here seven years and wanted to give back," she said. "(Locals) have treated me with nothing but respect here, and they were so excited about this."

The chapel was one of six pieces in Art Works Downtown's new exhibit, two on public property, the rest on private land.

Phyllis Thelen, president of the nonprofit art association, said this is its first venture beyond the gallery walls. She said that although the city was very helpful with finding locations and getting permits, officials had no choice but to condemn Best's project after the owner complained.

"We've been back and forth all morning," Thelen said Tuesday. The owner "said her insurance company threatened to cancel her policy. It's unfortunate, especially because the manager thought she had the authority to approve it."

Members of the surrounding community who had watched the construction are distraught. Customers who noticed the tape and sign stopped to ask what went wrong.

"The city needs something like this so bad," said Luke Phillips, 20, who stopped by the store for a soda and was angered to see the project had been red-tagged. "What is their problem?"

Lucia Gomez Reyes said she was looking forward to the day when she could light a candle in the chapel.

"We don't have a car to go to church," the young mother said. "We need a place to pray."

That is exactly what Best was hoping for and why he picked a place that would have an impact on the community.

"This is where people come to buy groceries and make phone calls. It's a hub, and a place where someone can go and sit and cry about not being with family," Best said.

Councilman Cyr Miller stopped by Tuesday morning to remind Best that the city fully supported public art. But he said officials had no choice in this case.

Moments later, Best invited a Guatemalan immigrant to sit down inside the shrine and was scolded by the councilman. "That is not allowed," Miller said loudly.

Thelen shook her head in frustration, still trying to come up with a way to salvage the project.

"Of all the ones to get hit, it had to be this. David Best created an inspirational piece for the canal community that was friendly and open, on property where they could see and interact with it," she said. "This was for all those people who can't make it to Burning Man."

The project was paid for by Best and a grant from the Black Rock Arts Foundation, a nonprofit started in 2001 by Burning Man directors to support community-based interactive art.

E-mail Leslie Fulbright at lfulbright@sfchronicle.com.

bullD

Post by bullD » Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:54 am

geekster wrote:What do you mean "it had to happen"?
I did not say "it had to happen"

My gripe is not with Mr. Best or his art, duhhh, I fucking love that guy!
My comment was based on that which I now know is not that obvious to all, for that, please excuse me. I simply was sayin that I am not surprised at all that this happened BECAUSE this county, IMO, has a much higher concentration of $$fuckwits$$, like the person who complained, that's all.

geekster

Post by geekster » Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:11 am

It is just so fucking juvenile. They are afraid of boogiemen they have dreamed up in their own minds. The entire fucking thing is a perfect reflection of the society we have become and why we must run away to our desert home. She probably said "But someone might get hurt if it should catch fire!" as she was driving down the freeway talking on her fucking cellphone. What an ass.

Stupidity. Just plain stupidity.

Simply Joel

manure flow

Post by Simply Joel » Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:08 pm

the manure is flowing today....

oh, for the want of a cork.

Simply Joel

Re: manure flow

Post by Simply Joel » Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:09 pm

Simply Joel wrote:the fucking manure is flowing today....

oh, for the want of a fucking cork.
no god damn fucking edit function

stuart

Post by stuart » Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:47 pm

geekster, I love Best's work but I gotta say, once again, I find it odd that a libertarian is apparently calling a property owner a tard for feeling she has the right to say what does and does not go on on her land.
If you built something on my lawn, even if you had my permission initially, I reserve the right tell you and your stuff to fuck off at any time. I don't care how pretty it is.
call me baby

geekster

Post by geekster » Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:12 pm

Well, no, I suppose what I find all retarded about it is that all the permits were supposed to have been done (according to the Marin paper last sunday). This was a big deal. The location of that temple had been known and published. The fact that it was a test of a new city ordinance had been made known too.

There is something fishy about the way she "went ballistic" on David and I just want the truth. If there is a response from the insurance company saying they refused it ... fine. If she just doesn't want a bunch of "burning man freaks" on her property ... fine. I just want to call her on it and get the honest truth and I have a feeling the insurance thing is being used as an excuse. I don't KNOW that to be the case, just a gut feeling.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:19 pm

Fuck, Mom's dying. We knew she was very, very sick but they're considering ICU for her and even that may not happen. She's at the "any minute" point, although she could hang in there for weeks. I fucking hate this. fuck. Too much wrong, she's too weak to bounce back. Dad is taking it very badly. He handed me her birthday present to keep (Jan 31st, two days ago). And packages of new clothes just came in, I had to take those too. And all her new Christmas jewelry, including the new things I made for her.

aw fuck, I don't want Mom's stuff, I want this to be easy. fuck

Rian Jackson

Post by Rian Jackson » Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:21 pm

fuck, AM. ((((((((((((((AntiM))))))))))))
surlier than thou

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:23 pm

It's never gonna be easy antiM.

Imsorry, Imsorry, Imsorry.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

gigglesnort

Post by gigglesnort » Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:26 pm

{hug}

buckethead alien
Burning Since: 1997

Post by buckethead alien » Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:32 pm

Strength to you AM, I know you've had one hell of a tough run.

stuart

Post by stuart » Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:33 pm

everyone be well and at peace
call me baby

PurpleKoosh
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207

Post by PurpleKoosh » Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:08 pm

Shit, fuck, shit, AntiM. I'm sorry. *hugs*

(In other news, I was just telling a friend of mine [meglimir on LJ] about your userpic - she goes in for a mastectomy and double TRAM flap in April....)
Anything purple is mine. Anything else can be dyed or painted.

diane o'thirst

Post by diane o'thirst » Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:32 pm

((((((((((((((((((AntiM)))))))))))))))))))
[url=http://tinyurl.com/245sagf][img]http://tinyurl.com/2bbr28j/.gif[/img][/url][url=http://tinyurl.com/23753ws][img]http://tinyurl.com/2auqebj/.gif[/img][/url][url=http://tinyurl.com/m4y82q][img]http://tinyurl.com/l56rdn/.gif[/img][/url]

geekster

Post by geekster » Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:50 pm

I am so sorry AntiM. I hope she finds comfort and peace no matter tomorrow brings.

bullD

Post by bullD » Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:41 pm

AntiM:
you will make through with strength and dignity, just like you have all along. But don't forget to cry on a shoulder from time to time, it helps, man does it help.

Martiansky
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: --->Hushville

Post by Martiansky » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:01 pm

Sorry to hear that, AntiM. (hugs)
So the theme this year is like a giant camp out in the desert? With people bringing lots of shit from all over? uh.. -Marscrumbs

Ranger Genius

Post by Ranger Genius » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:42 pm

I can't really add anything meaninful here, but consider the lily gilded anyway. Wish we could be there to help you, even if just by distracting you.
“We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.”

samtzu

Post by samtzu » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:47 pm

I'm with RG on this Anti... My mom is 83 and deteriorating... it's painful in the extreme... Bless you...
The revolutionary does not grow up because he cannot grow, while the creative individual cannot grow up because he keeps growing ~~ Eric Hoffer

ThePikey

Post by ThePikey » Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:10 pm

Finished my taxes yesterday. Between state and feds, I owe almost four hundred dollars. Fuck! (But that's a *good* fuck. Last year was over 2G due to me being fuckin' stoopid.)

And it's past nine o'clock and I can finally get my fucking ass out of work and get some fucking food. Twelve hour days fucking suck!

blueniteowl

Post by blueniteowl » Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:15 pm

Fuck! I just realized I haven't gotten any of my W2's yet. My stupid fucking ex employers. I fucking need that refund.

Return to “Open Discussion”