Fuck!

All things outside of Burning Man.
Kinetic II

Post by Kinetic II » Tue Nov 11, 2003 8:54 am

Fucking Sprint. One day they offer you a retention bonus, then they say they are reviewing your job, then they bring in 2 outsourcing companies to review your work, then they say they want to keep you. Does the left hand know what the right hand is fucking doing?

And try taking 1 hour of FMLA leave to take care of a sick parent. You would swear you fucking asked for a million bucks.

Total fucking fuckers with no fucking clue how the fucked up real world fucking works. Work is important, but work is not fucking everything.

Oh yeah, FUCK YER DAY! Mine's already fucked.

drowned_saved

Post by drowned_saved » Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:11 am

PJ wrote:I'd enjoy a lecture or book regarding the 40% estimate. Assuming hunter-gatherers needed about as much sleep as modern humans, this would leave about six-and-a-half hours to make tools and clothing, move and repair shelter, and enjoy the entertainments available during their era. And that's if the hunting is successful--if not things get desparate pretty quickly since the ability to store food was necessarily limited.

And it's important to note that an entire continent can't support very many hunter-gatherers. At their peak there were never more than a few million Indians; prior to them paleolithic humans managed to cause the extinction of a number of large ungulate species through over-hunting, despite their primitive tools and low numbers.
the sources i'm familiar with aren't quite so dramatic, but in principle it's true what don muerto says. you might check Mark Cohen's book, the Food Crisis in Prehistory (Yale UP, 1977). Cohen estimates that neo-lithic farmers spent 1000-1300 hours per year securing their food, while hunter-gatherers needed only 800-1000.

why sacrifice extra leisure time? it's not entirely clear. could be that population pressure and scarcity compelled these people to try their hand at agriculture. on the other hand, they may have simply decided that a few (hundred) extra hours was a small price to pay for the relative security of farming (perhaps we are "hard-wired" to over-achieve). certainly there are many possibilities for crop failure, but it seems on the whole that farmers are able to count on their harvests much more than hunters may on their quarry.

there's also been lots of computational work done on population density throughout history and pre-hisotry. In Cities and Economic Development: From the Dawn of history to the Present (U. Chicago, 1988), Paul Bairoch estimates that in a lush tropical environment, 1 suare kilometer of land can support nine hunter-gatherers, whereas the same plot of land can support 200-400 via settled cultivation.

having said that, i'm not sure PJ's numbers are reliable for the amerindians...more like a hundred million. meso- and south-america, remember, were home to many complex, urban civilizations well before the arrival of whitey. the incas, alone, controlled an empire which included 10 million people.

there is a tendency to romanticize the huner-gatherers which i consider misguided. but, of course, there is a tendency to overlook many of the problems associated with agricultural and industrial production, too, which is equally dangerous (if not more so, since that's the hand we're made to play at present).

PJ likes farmers and wants to remind us that nomads aren't quite as cavalier and wonderful as they are sometimes cracked up to be. point taken. BUT...

AND THIS IS HOW THE THREAD GOT STARTED IN THIS DIRECTION...i see no problem with whining about the complexities and aggravations of the so-called civilized life.

one of the things i like about BM is that it provides some distance from (and therefore good perspective on) the strengths and weakness of the default world...which is very much the spirit of our present discussion, is it not?

so as not to kill the thread, i'll simply ask: what do others think?

Blenderhead

What do I think?

Post by Blenderhead » Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:21 am

Here's what I think:

I think I'm going to fucking lurk on this thread for the rest of the fucking day because Patience just kicked my retarded ass on his/her fucking advice board. I can't stop laughing and my fucking coworkers are getting ready to call security.

Post by Guest » Tue Nov 11, 2003 1:36 pm

I'm trying to get over my old fucked-up extended mind-fuck. FUCK!

Kinetic II

Post by Kinetic II » Tue Nov 11, 2003 1:50 pm

chloe_dancer wrote:fuck fuck fuck. i need to vent. fuck oakland, fuck my lack of a social life, fuck fuck fuck. fuck i miss friendly jen. how the fuck is everyone today?
You live in the fuckin BA and you complain about not having a social life? Try living in fucking Kansas City where the sidewalks roll up at 7 am, chain restaurants and cafes are considered trendy and happening, and the nightlife scene is seeing 3 am liquor licenses get yanked and clubs being closed at the rate of 1 every week.

You can just drive across the bridge or take BART and get choices. At least with that part of your life I wish I was in your fucking shoes. And I'm not alone either. Kansas City fucking sucks sometimes.

PJ

Post by PJ » Wed Nov 12, 2003 12:31 am

drowned_saved wrote:...i'm not sure PJ's numbers are reliable for the amerindians...more like a hundred million. meso- and south-america, remember, were home to many complex, urban civilizations well before the arrival of whitey. the incas, alone, controlled an empire which included 10 million people.
My number is absolutely NOT reliable; I forget where it came from (possibly a Scientific American article from the mid-'80s.) It referred to N. America only--just the nomadic tribes and not the agrarian tribes in the SW and NE and I might be mis-remembering it.

Blenderhead

goddammotherfuckershit!

Post by Blenderhead » Wed Nov 12, 2003 9:51 am

Just because YOU can't find the fucking piece of paper I'VE given you 10-fucking-times in the last fucking month and you continually fucking LOSE overandoverandfuckingOVER, it doesn't fucking mean I'M not doing my fucking JOB.

fucking-asshole-prima-donna-napoleonic-complex-midget FUCK!

Angry Butterfly

Post by Angry Butterfly » Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:32 am

Why am i so Fucking short? Ive got the same genes that made my grandmother 5'8", my fucking brothers 6'2" and 6'4" my (female) cousins 5"9 and 5'10" all my aunts and cosins are so fucking tall! Like it would have killed me to get just a little of that! I was the same size as Shaq when I was born! 23" long 7lbs 8 oz! The Same Fucking size! why did he end up 8 feet tall and i'm too short to reach any of the shelves in my fucking closet! And why the fuck is it that even though the average woman is only 5'4" nothing is made for a 5'4" person? I know why! Fucking Corbusier and his 6 foot measure of man! Why is it so hard to be average sized? Who built all this stuff!? I have to get a stepstool for every fucking thing it takes me twice as fucking long to do anything because I am too fucking short and I am totaly average! Am I supposed to wear fucking platforms all day?
I took the road less traveled, and now I would like to go back and find the paved one.

Kinetic II

Post by Kinetic II » Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:33 am

Why in the fuck does everything you drink except for water have high fructose as the sweetener? And why in the fuck do I get headaches drinking coke all of a sudden? I love my fucking coke...and now I can't handle the stuff. This totally fucking sucks. I don't drink coffee so how can one get their caffeine cheap? Cutting back on sugar and caffeine equals a very fucked up day.

Angry Butterfly

Post by Angry Butterfly » Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:42 am

Good news for you K. Jolt Fucking Cola doesn't have high fructose corn syrup in it! Just straight fucking cane sugar, yumm yumm! Also, try langer's 100% Juice, not bad. I have been trying to give up high fructose corn syrup myself, but you are right, it is in everyfuckingthing! There are many alternative ways to stay cafinated! check out
http://tinyurl.com/2xo4
I took the road less traveled, and now I would like to go back and find the paved one.

Kinetic II

Post by Kinetic II » Wed Nov 12, 2003 12:00 pm

Holy fucking shit...I tossed that out to vent and I didn't expect a reply like that. AB, that would work!

Angry Butterfly

Post by Angry Butterfly » Wed Nov 12, 2003 12:13 pm

glad I could help! Now if only I could find a way to grow taller at age 29...

Sobretta Franjipan

Post by Sobretta Franjipan » Wed Nov 12, 2003 12:43 pm

Just because YOU can't find the fucking piece of paper I'VE given you 10-fucking-times in the last fucking month and you continually fucking LOSE overandoverandfuckingOVER, it doesn't fucking mean I'M not doing my fucking JOB.

___

You really shouldn't fucking talk about your mother like that.

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Wed Nov 12, 2003 12:53 pm

Sobretta,

Perhaps you should contract out to have someone stop by the office during work hours to have that person's car 'detailed.'

Blenderhead

Post by Blenderhead » Wed Nov 12, 2003 1:39 pm

Sobretta Franjipan wrote:Just because YOU can't find the fucking piece of paper I'VE given you 10-fucking-times in the last fucking month and you continually fucking LOSE overandoverandfuckingOVER, it doesn't fucking mean I'M not doing my fucking JOB.

___

You really shouldn't fucking talk about your mother like that.
Why the fuck not? She can't fucking read this, unless someone figured out how to raise the fucking dead.

Flux

Post by Flux » Wed Nov 12, 2003 1:41 pm

Blenderhead wrote:Why the fuck not? She can't fucking read this, unless someone figured out how to raise the fucking dead.
So then she'd be a gimpy mother, right?

Blenderhead

Post by Blenderhead » Wed Nov 12, 2003 1:52 pm

Flux wrote:
Blenderhead wrote:Why the fuck not? She can't fucking read this, unless someone figured out how to raise the fucking dead.
So then she'd be a gimpy mother, right?
Fuckin-A, Flux!

Angry Butterfly

Post by Angry Butterfly » Wed Nov 12, 2003 2:01 pm

Fucking Rialin! Cant seem to work without it after all these fucking years! Where can I get some fucking ritalin for free? I want some fucking ritalin! MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM SPEED!
I owe my failed career to fucking ritalin! My stunted growth! My addiction to Mountain dew! My "Panic disorder"!
"You look like you are working in slow motion" FUCKER! I'm glad FUCKING STROUDS went fucking bankrupt! I'm too talented for you fucks! that is what my clients say anyhow! That is what you get for canning me, you fucking overpriced mismanaged linen shop! the people I do contract work for are getting fucking rich with my slow ass branding!
HA!
And yet it still hurts me that I was canned. Why did you have to fucking say such a hurtful thing? Couldn't you just fucking fire me without insulting me too? Why do I even fucking care? Because all my life I heard I wasn't good enough, I wasn't fast enough. I was so fucking talented and so fucking smart, why couldnt I just work faster? why was I so fucking slow? So they put me on fucking speed, and I remember, I was fucking cold all the time, and sick, and my hands shook, and I couldnt eat, and people thought I had an eating disorder, but I was finaly just fast enough, and when I finaly got free of high school there was fucking college and when I was finaly free of college, and it was all a fucking lie, nobody wants me, nobody has wanted me for 6 fucking years, I am too fucking slow! Why didnt you just let me spend that hundred grand on a fucking t shirt shop or let me work in a nice factory where the stress wouldnt put me in the fucking mental hospital? Every thing I am qualified to do is too fucking stressful. I need a normal job, I need health insurance! FUCK!

Flux

Post by Flux » Wed Nov 12, 2003 2:35 pm

Wow, Butterfly, that's some horrible, fucked-up shit to go through. No wonder you're angry! I feel for you and your predicament, and I know how horrible it is to be fired and to feel like nobody wants you.

I don't know if it will help any, but the following way of looking at things has helped me a lot -- and I think it's the truth, too.

Remember that our economy is just one big fucking machine, and all of the "people" in it are considered (and treated as) little fucking machines. We're all subcomponents -- and subjects -- of the giant mechanism.

If you're not fast enough (or smart enough, or organized enough, or punctual enough), you're not a good little machine. So, like a burned out motor, they remove you and bolt in a replacement, and off you go to the scrap heap. It's a brutal system, but it insures the health of the master machine, and that's all that matters.

Perhaps you can use this opportunity to, as it were, take the red pill. Wake up from the illusion that "success" as a high-performance subassembly has anything to do with your value as a human being, and remember that, in fact, such success often comes at the expense of one's humanity. Embrace your humanity, your uniqueness, including that part of you that makes you a second-rate mechanism.

I mean, really, who wants to be a fucking machine anyway? Thanks anyway, but I think I'll be a human being. To me, that's part of what Burning Man is about: all of us having the opportunity to be who we are naturally, without having to warp and twist ourselves out of shape to fit into our assigned slots.

As for me, I'm a shitty machine, and that's fine with me. I am self- (meaning, usually, un-) employed, frequently broke, a total failure in the eyes of many people. But I'm more genuinely myself than I have ever been, and I'll never step through the factory doors again.

I hope that makes sense, and that it didn't come across as a lecture.

Wishing you the best, Flux

Last Real Burner

You are my supasta, AB...

Post by Last Real Burner » Wed Nov 12, 2003 2:39 pm

We love you Butterfly, just as you are, at the speed that you operate. Nobody does us like you do, Babe. Be aware that you are greatest, kindest, most responsible persons we have met in a long time. Height is not a requirement for our love, it is unconditional, unless of course, you talk to Badger.

you're bestest fucking friend,
mr smith
"Do you know what happened to the boy who got everything he wished for? - He lived happily ever after".

BlueBirdPoof

Post by BlueBirdPoof » Wed Nov 12, 2003 2:55 pm

Angry Butterfly wrote:Fucking Rialin! Cant seem to work without it after all these fucking years! Where can I get some fucking ritalin for free? I want some fucking ritalin! MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM SPEED!
I owe my failed career to fucking ritalin! My stunted growth! My addiction to Mountain dew! My "Panic disorder"!
"You look like you are working in slow motion" FUCKER! I'm glad FUCKING STROUDS went fucking bankrupt! I'm too talented for you fucks! that is what my clients say anyhow! That is what you get for canning me, you fucking overpriced mismanaged linen shop! the people I do contract work for are getting fucking rich with my slow ass branding!
HA!
And yet it still hurts me that I was canned. Why did you have to fucking say such a hurtful thing? Couldn't you just fucking fire me without insulting me too? Why do I even fucking care? Because all my life I heard I wasn't good enough, I wasn't fast enough. I was so fucking talented and so fucking smart, why couldnt I just work faster? why was I so fucking slow? So they put me on fucking speed, and I remember, I was fucking cold all the time, and sick, and my hands shook, and I couldnt eat, and people thought I had an eating disorder, but I was finaly just fast enough, and when I finaly got free of high school there was fucking college and when I was finaly free of college, and it was all a fucking lie, nobody wants me, nobody has wanted me for 6 fucking years, I am too fucking slow! Why didnt you just let me spend that hundred grand on a fucking t shirt shop or let me work in a nice factory where the stress wouldnt put me in the fucking mental hospital? Every thing I am qualified to do is too fucking stressful. I need a normal job, I need health insurance! FUCK!
Butterfly
Ouch, ouch, ouch.
I went through a lot of what you've been through--only I've got major depression. But the years without a job, the poverty now that I've got one, the run-around in getting my Zoloft or Welbutrin or Celexa or whatever it was that kept my brain from getting tangled with itself in whichever year that we're talking about. Bosses from hell, with half my brains, but lugging no ball and chain--so they thought they were hot shit. One-time friends who just got too condescending. Finally got a government job where they treat me with some respect, but I'm pushing forty, no degree and don't really expect to have a full-fledged "career." And now this DAMN toothache, and having trouble getting to sleep at night between the pain and the horrors of wondering if I need a root canal and how am I going to afford it.
No advise, but you're right. It's Fucked.

If there's anything I can do, let me know. If not, warm regards.

Angry Butterfly

Post by Angry Butterfly » Wed Nov 12, 2003 3:12 pm

Wow, thanks. I was actualy canned a year ago, and decided I had had enough of the corporate world, they don't want me, and I don't want them, Particularly after one of my freelance clients laughed at me for being upset about being fired from strouds, she actualy laughed! I belive her exact words were "you are too talented to worry about those idiots" I just wish I knew how to support myself. I, mean, I have been working on it and I am making progress, but I am still starving and broke. I always seem to get depresssed and dwell on stuff when it gets to be the aniversary of whatever traumatic thing happened. I mean, did she have to say that? that was just an awful, hurtful thing to say. And although my client, Tova, is someone I respect a lot more than the loser who said "you look like you are working in slow motion" to me, it still hurts, just because I have heard it so much, I mean, don't they know if i could work faster I would? Don't they know how hard I try? To hear that over and over, to be up till 2 or 3 in the morning doing homework every night, even though I started right after school, and still not getting it done, doing everything right, everything suggested to me, and still failing, while my brothers got straight A's whipping work out in 10 minutes in front of the TV. And still, people who look at my work and think it is amazing, but nothing is selling, I have had 2 shows in the past two weeks and sold NOTHING! Not even with the peices priced really low ($35 to $85) Thats just how things go sometimes though. Probably the next couple shows will be better. I'ts just hard being broke is all. My work usualy sells better, but they were new venues for me, probably people just need to get used to it, I had a lot of people looking. Oh well. I really appricaite the support, i feel better now.

BlueBirdPoof

Post by BlueBirdPoof » Wed Nov 12, 2003 3:26 pm

Angry Butterfly wrote: I always seem to get depresssed and dwell on stuff when it gets to be the aniversary of whatever traumatic thing happened..
Ah the dreaded "Anniversary Reaction." They can be quite powerful.
Angry Butterfly wrote: it still hurts, just because I have heard it so much, I mean, don't they know if i could work faster I would? Don't they know how hard I try? To hear that over and over, to be up till 2 or 3 in the morning doing homework every night, even though I started right after school, and still not getting it done, doing everything right, everything suggested to me, and still failing, while my brothers got straight A's whipping work out in 10 minutes in front of the TV.
Oh I HATE that crap. Sometimes I think "laziness" was invented by people who are miserable in their work and want to make everyone else suffer, too. My issues were somewhat different, but it still hurts me to have them stirred up. Hearing something for 10 or 20 years leaves a festering open wound sometimes! And who are those idiots to judge!

Post by Guest » Wed Nov 12, 2003 3:59 pm

Sometimes I think corporations use buzzwords and judgements as ways to justify abusing you in one form or another. Good for you Angry Butterfly in distancing yourself from that shit.

Oh and FUCK!

lolitadelagorgonzola
Location: in a dank, dark, currently dreary,"City of Dreams"in the great northwest

Post by lolitadelagorgonzola » Fri Nov 14, 2003 1:03 am

What a fucking, wretched, horrible day. I put my father in the hospital yesterday. He's 89, a fragile, aged warrior who once watched his ship the USS Arizona (Pearl Harbor)go down in flames. My Dad who has taught me to love books, language ,the art of a well placed word. He always supported art endeavors and still bemoans the fact that I became a nurse instead of going to an art school. I am sorry too. Just the other night he was reciting T.S. Eliot poems then he followed with his favorite Shakespeare quote, "How sharper then a serpents tooth it is to have a thankless child" of course adressed to me.
Today he is talking gibberish,perhaps he's had a stroke. The Commander can't command. It is so fucking hard to see him so incapacitated. FUCK FUCK FUCK that can not be said enough. FUCKING FUCK AGAIN .I think my own mind is also turning to fucking mush. I can't think, I'mblathering to persons I've not met....I suppose it's only because we are all human and no one is immune to emotional pain that I post my note upon this board. I know this distress is not unique to me. I've spent nearly 20 years helping others with their pain. It bloody fucking hurts that now it is my Dad.
Just a chance to scream and throw things helps release some heavy thoughts. I'm great in an emergency but I fall apart when I stand still.
I beleive I've helped myself a little hear...........it's very late, now I think I'll share my laments with Otus my dog and maybe have a beer. FUCK is an insufficient word. Last week I described Burning Man to Dad and he said, "by all means go".

Lydia Love

Post by Lydia Love » Fri Nov 14, 2003 6:25 am

Lolita - I'm so sorry to hear that. You're right fuck is sometimes an inadequate word.
It's all about the squirrels.

Blenderhead

Post by Blenderhead » Fri Nov 14, 2003 6:39 am

Just...

fuck.

Kinetic II

Post by Kinetic II » Fri Nov 14, 2003 11:03 am

Fuck! I am fucking happy for a change.

So have a great fucking day and may all your fucks be good ones!

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 14, 2003 11:12 am

Glad to hear it K2. Fuck yeah!

Kinetic II

Post by Kinetic II » Fri Nov 14, 2003 12:22 pm

After I made that earlier post I went over to H's board then to Trey's board....where I found PJ's ruminations thread.

Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck.

Why do bad things have to happen to good people?
Why does the US spend 400+Billion on defense but so precious little on health care research?
Why do we not have answers to these ongoing medical questions?
Why, why in the fuck does this have to happen?

I'm jaded and skeptical and as hard as it is to not be emotional, hearing that another burner, someone that you admire and look up to is having problems and a tough fight ahead hurts.

Why in the fuck does it always go like this?

Return to “Open Discussion”