environmentalism:

All things outside of Burning Man.
ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

environmentalism:

Post by ygmir » Sun May 26, 2019 9:10 am

I hear, often, how "green" or "woke" or whatever, certain Burners are.....and I wonder, how can that be, if you attend TTITD?
It's such a huge waste of resources, carbon dump, whatever...
To be fair, I've been to TTITD, and have no problem with it.
Maybe someone can explain to me, how some call themselves "radical/extreme environmentalists", or whatever strong term, and still attend?
Understanding humans are by nature, hypocrites.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Re: environmentalism:

Post by some seeing eye » Sun May 26, 2019 10:02 am

Yes! This is exactly why I have proposed detailed carbon accounting as part of the EIS multiple times. We burn shit, we fuel shit on playa, we pilot motor vehicles to-from there (hopefully with 3+ passengers), some fly in from distant places.

We could be a model for BLM on carbon accounting.

The total detailed Burning Man BRC regional carbon accounting every year will show fly-in at distance is the major impact. Burning shit on-playa is A-OK-minor in comparison.

More distance, more carbon. We don't discuss that. Becau$e organizer$.

But that said, I will fully own myself as an environmental wacko! I'm also an analytical engineer professional in the field.

Hard, yes, but let's change the event.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Sun May 26, 2019 10:45 am

some seeing eye wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 10:02 am
Yes! This is exactly why I have proposed detailed carbon accounting as part of the EIS multiple times. We burn shit, we fuel shit on playa, we pilot motor vehicles to-from there (hopefully with 3+ passengers), some fly in from distant places.

We could be a model for BLM on carbon accounting.

The total detailed Burning Man BRC regional carbon accounting every year will show fly-in at distance is the major impact. Burning shit on-playa is A-OK-minor in comparison.

More distance, more carbon. We don't discuss that. Becau$e organizer$.

But that said, I will fully own myself as an environmental wacko! I'm also an analytical engineer professional in the field.

Hard, yes, but let's change the event.
so, how do you rationalize going and participating in the event?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Sun May 26, 2019 11:57 am

Dammit Yg, this one of my buttons and you done poked it with rusty rebar.

Through 2006, Burning Man was just a bunch of weirdos n FKOs doing their thing in the salt flat for a week.

2007 was the year a political agenda got screwed into TTITD, Green Fucking Man.

It was the beginning of the end.

Promptly followed by one bad decision after another by the BORG and their revival expansion board of Glitterati and tech doucherknockers.

Now that I got that all outta my system ...

All the woke environmentally enlightened pretenders wouldn’t know dick about what stewardship of the land really means.

Come out to the farm and learn how much shit you need to shovel for that organic produce and livestock.

They hypocrisy is epic with the Ivory Tower liberals. The whole obsession with carbon has made them blind to the much bigger perils we are consuming to no end.

Carbon isn’t gonna kill us. Yeah, it’ll fuck up some folks along the way, floods, fires, hurricanes, what have you, but overall CO2 is greening the planet and finding a new balance for the system. Crop yields are through the roof and there is gonna be a cost to it one way or the other. We had all the hyped disasters 100, 200, 300 ... years ago as well. We survived, we can do that again.

CO2 is the perfect fictional villain! Obscure, unseeable, unsmellable, and super sinister. A delusion the masses can get behind for that gratifying feeling of giving a damn while doing exactly dick about it. “Let’s all amplify cow belching is bad on Facebook”. Yay, I feel so good about myself!

Just because you can choose organic sustainable unbleached recycled toilet paper to wipe your ass after the automated bidet washed your cornhole, doesn't mean you done dick for the billion people that have no electricity or running water and are wondering when the next meal will be this week or next.

So, fuck CO2 hysteria, it will feed us, Green the earth, give us energy.

You want to really make a difference, get rid of single-use plastics. That is gonna fuck our shit up way more than a few parts per million of CO2.

Challenge your Green Ivory Tower friends to live plastic-free for a month! No shrink wrapped produce, no plastic trays for their organic strawberries, no styrofoam trays for their pre-packaged meats, no plastics for their wraps, tortillas, chips n dip. See how fucking Green they are willing to go.

some seeing eye

Post by some seeing eye » Sun May 26, 2019 12:03 pm

Mr Yigmr, I understand your question.

I would speculate many ePlayans are lower than most people carbon in their life.

What am proposing is that the BORG document participation carbon in detail and encourage lowering it in participants, year around. 13th principle low carbon? Yes. (11th consent, 12th I don't remember?)

Me, myself, I have brought 2-5 riders, drive-in. Acculturated all, to other topics.
Last edited by some seeing eye on Sun May 26, 2019 12:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Sun May 26, 2019 12:18 pm

some seeing eye wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 12:03 pm
I understand your question.

I would speculate many ePlayans are lower than most carbon in their life.

What am proposing is that the BORG document participation carbon in detail and encourage lowering it in participants, year around. 13th principle low carbon? Yes.

Me, myself, I have brought 2-5 riders, drive-in. Acculturated all, to other topics.
rationalization achieved.

I think you are assuming Burners in general don't understand the waste that is "going to TTITD". Bold assumption on your part. As relates to the BORG documenting. I submit, said "Burners" know, but don't care, and rationalize, just as you do. I'm just calling the hypocrisy of claiming the ivory tower of judgement, when so much is wasted just getting to and from....does not matter if you drive a full bus, it's still not anywhere near necessary. Carry on.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Sun May 26, 2019 12:21 pm

Token wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 11:57 am
Dammit Yg, this one of my buttons and you done poked it with rusty rebar.

Through 2006, Burning Man was just a bunch of weirdos n FKOs doing their thing in the salt flat for a week.

2007 was the year a political agenda got screwed into TTITD, Green Fucking Man.

It was the beginning of the end.

Promptly followed by one bad decision after another by the BORG and their revival expansion board of Glitterati and tech doucherknockers.

Now that I got that all outta my system ...

All the woke environmentally enlightened pretenders wouldn’t know dick about what stewardship of the land really means.

Come out to the farm and learn how much shit you need to shovel for that organic produce and livestock.

They hypocrisy is epic with the Ivory Tower liberals. The whole obsession with carbon has made them blind to the much bigger perils we are consuming to no end.

Carbon isn’t gonna kill us. Yeah, it’ll fuck up some folks along the way, floods, fires, hurricanes, what have you, but overall CO2 is greening the planet and finding a new balance for the system. Crop yields are through the roof and there is gonna be a cost to it one way or the other. We had all the hyped disasters 100, 200, 300 ... years ago as well. We survived, we can do that again.

CO2 is the perfect fictional villain! Obscure, unseeable, unsmellable, and super sinister. A delusion the masses can get behind for that gratifying feeling of giving a damn while doing exactly dick about it. “Let’s all amplify cow belching is bad on Facebook”. Yay, I feel so good about myself!

Just because you can choose organic sustainable unbleached recycled toilet paper to wipe your ass after the automated bidet washed your cornhole, doesn't mean you done dick for the billion people that have no electricity or running water and are wondering when the next meal will be this week or next.

So, fuck CO2 hysteria, it will feed us, Green the earth, give us energy.

You want to really make a difference, get rid of single-use plastics. That is gonna fuck our shit up way more than a few parts per million of CO2.

Challenge your Green Ivory Tower friends to live plastic-free for a month! No shrink wrapped produce, no plastic trays for their organic strawberries, no styrofoam trays for their pre-packaged meats, no plastics for their wraps, tortillas, chips n dip. See how fucking Green they are willing to go.
57649354_2150634575057576_6920269942625402880_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

some seeing eye

Post by some seeing eye » Sun May 26, 2019 12:35 pm

ygmir wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 12:18 pm
some seeing eye wrote:
I understand your question.

I would speculate many ePlayans are lower than most carbon in their life.

What am proposing is that the BORG document participation carbon in detail and encourage lowering it in participants, year around. 13th principle low carbon? Yes.

rationalization achieved.

I think you are assuming Burners in general don't understand the waste that is "going to TTITD". Bold assumption on your part. As relates to the BORG documenting. I submit, said "Burners" know, but don't care, and rationalize, just as you do. I'm just calling the hypocrisy of claiming the ivory tower of judgement, when so much is wasted just getting to and from....does not matter if you drive a full bus, it's still not anywhere near necessary. Carry on.
This is an insightful post. Thank you. I would agree somewhat.

Let's undo carbon rationalization.

We eco-hippies carpool in, carrying all camp stuff, at low carbon!

Token

Post by Token » Sun May 26, 2019 12:42 pm

some seeing eye wrote:

Acculturated

Acculturation implies that cultures merge, with the minority culture contributing to the majority culture so that a new improved culture emerges.

BM is a cult. It has 10 principles. They don’t change.

The word you’re looking for is Assimilation.

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Sun May 26, 2019 1:42 pm

Token wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 12:42 pm
some seeing eye wrote:

Acculturated

Acculturation implies that cultures merge, with the minority culture contributing to the majority culture so that a new improved culture emerges.

I'd break that down into more fun terms:
Ass
Immolation.

you're welcome.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Perpetual Burn
Burning Since: 2021

Post by Perpetual Burn » Sun May 26, 2019 2:23 pm

Brilliant post, Token!

We clean the Playa spotlessly after the Burn leaving no trash...

So, the only complaint becomes the Burn's carbon footprint... some do care, but really there's no point...

Carbon is not a poison... anthropogenic global warming is one of the biggest lies/swindles in human history... to get people to believe the very breath they exhale is poisoning the world... bullshit!

CO2 is what plants breathe... you ever heard of trees, fruits, or vegetables? To limit their breathing capabilities is downright stupid.

The real reason behind the carbon emissions scam is to support globalist agendas... Google "Cap and Trade" and it'll all make sense. "The poor stay poor and the rich get rich."

Even if carbon emissions were poisoning the planet, the footprint created by Burning Man is infinitesimally small compared to global carbon emissions... so, if you think you're saving the whales by shutting down the Burn, you're an ignorant self righteous gullible waste of intellectual potential. So, please don't go anymore just in case stupidity is contagious. :coffee:
Funfinity manifeats Mettatacular pHazes
Dancipate white hazes of Esplenadazes
SwimInfinite Dust as Defaultia lusts
Unpossibility reigns nonlimited mindbusts
Rollbliterate ego ~n~ drop dosasses, Monases
Spuntaneous artKarmaval ~ Burn Bright All

Token

Post by Token » Sun May 26, 2019 4:00 pm

ygmir wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 1:42 pm
Token wrote:
some seeing eye wrote:

Acculturated

Ass
Immolation.

you're welcome.
Wasn’t that done when we had the whole Borg2 with Chicken John?

Dance Dance (Ass) Immolation?

That was back when BM was fun!

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Sun May 26, 2019 5:19 pm

Token wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 4:00 pm
ygmir wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 1:42 pm
Token wrote:

Ass
Immolation.

you're welcome.
Wasn’t that done when we had the whole Borg2 with Chicken John?

Dance Dance (Ass) Immolation?

That was back when BM was fun!
ergo my pun...
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

some seeing eye

Post by some seeing eye » Mon May 27, 2019 4:57 pm

Hahaha, I should know better than to contradict you two!

The number of activists that actually do something rather than just having an opinion is a small percentage. That small percentage is at TTID as a small percentage.

We also had many discussions on ePlaya about the trash and all the single-use tents, sleeping bags, tarps, tools, monkey hut supplies, and bikes that I hope the BORG has been forced to get on top of because of the EIS.

I would certainly agree that all the single use and once a year use "stuff," from camp infrastructure to MVs is a massive extravagance. It requires CO2 to manufacture it. For my part, I try not to accumulate burn-only items, excepting goggles. All the rest of my camp gear and costumes are used multiple times a year. Sure that is the same for many.

As for people-civilization-made greenhouse gases, the young people have taken up that as a cause, and many realize they can change their consumption patterns personally. The climate change deniers are mostly old men, the Koch Bros, anonymous dark money contributors, wacko foundations, politicians, fossil CEOs and boards who will be dead before the sh*t really hits the fan.

Meanwhile wildfires in the West are already a result, to be paid for by us in utility bills and taxes. Weather extremes impact the US and many countries, severely. What most people have not wrapped their heads around is that ecosystems cannot migrate their geography fast enough.

As for the distinction between acculturation and assimilation, I usually use BORG when I'm critical and org or organizers when I want to be respectful.

The event is open source, so participants contribute their cultural DNA, for better or worse to the event.

Return to “Open Discussion”