The longest shot I ever took

All things outside of Burning Man.
tsabary
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Frothin Weirdos

The longest shot I ever took

Post by tsabary » Wed May 29, 2019 4:30 pm

Hey fellow burners!
My name is Yan and I'm a 3 years burner! 2014, 2015, 2017, and if nothing happens with renewing the land lease, 2020 as well!!

As the title suggests, I am here for a question, and it is a LONG shot.

Before my first burn, I had a hard time backing up all my photos on my phone. I tried to for hours but couldn't figure it out (iPhone..).
I had to rush out of the house then, at 2am, and left without the back up.

In a very unfortunate moment, I've dropped my phone on the Playa. It's probably not very relevant, but I think it was just by the District just before sunset.

I tried to find it all around but it was no where to be seen.
I then spent every day of the burn going back to the lost and found in hopes it would be found and returned to me. Unfortunately it hasn't. I spent close to 2 hours there every day of my burn waiting in line.

I was devastated.
The phone had a year and a half of memories I collected while traveling the US with some of my best friends, and some memories from before that too.
I tried to grab it from the cloud storage but that didn't work out either.

When the burn ended, and nothing came up, I gave up and tried to get over it. Well almost 5 years have passed and I still haven't got over it.
Nothing could ever replace those memories.

So in this very very long shot I wanted to ask, is there any chance it surfaced and is sitting in some burning man lost and found storage? I remember sending an email after and I was told it hasn't, but maybe a long time after it has? I don't know.

I know I'm probably looking at a no again, but figured it's worth the shot..

If I remember correctly, it was a white iPhone 5. I might be wrong about the color.
All fingers crossed.

Sham

Re: The longest shot I ever took

Post by Sham » Wed May 29, 2019 5:31 pm

This would fall under "Lost on the Playa 2014". That thread is long closed.
This is truly a long shot, but what type of phone was/is it?

There are literally HUNDREDS of lost phones each year. They fall out of pockets or get left behind in coat pockets that are lost. Some are left in porto potties by the seat. Some are returned, but most fall into the black hole of "lost forever".

This is a good time to remind everyone to put your phones away and live in the moment---IMMEDIACY! Buy an inexpensive, dust proof camera and bring extra memory to swap out. Put a tiny "return address sticker" on your camera and hopefully it will be mailed back to you if lost.

I hope your phone turns up.

tsabary

Post by tsabary » Wed May 29, 2019 5:41 pm

I know and agree with all that you've said. Burning Man 2014 was my first ever festival, so there's a lot I know now that I didn't before. It was a white iphone 5 or 5s. Slight chance it was black, 99% sure on the color.
Would you know what happens to anything that hasn't been claimed for so long?

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Wed May 29, 2019 7:26 pm

tsabary, If you contacted the lost and found back in 2014 they would have looked for it. They also search the photos for the ones you described to them. The lost and found from 2017 is now closed. (Meaning it has probably been donated, recycled and thrown out accordingly.) I feel for you. One year my camera was broken on a long international trip. The only record we had was my young son's drawings that he did for 'home school'. Now you get out there and get some new memories.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

tsabary

Post by tsabary » Wed May 29, 2019 8:06 pm

Thanks for the reply Retty.. Time to move on! Appreciate the information.

Return to “Open Discussion”