Nevada lawmakers seek tax on 2022 reservation donations

Want to talk about tickets, vehicle passes or the Burning Man box office? You've come to the right place.
some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Nevada lawmakers seek tax on 2022 reservation donations

Post by some seeing eye » Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:30 pm

Burning Man has a fearsome legal department for which we are thankful.

Add if you can legally move your business or residence to Pershing County, like Winnemucca, and vote, that is a way to express your democratic rights at the county-level.

https://www.rgj.com/story/life/arts/bur ... 189867001/

Nevada lawmakers look to tax Burning Man's 'reservation' charges
Jenny Kane
Reno Gazette Journal
May 24, 2021

In a proposed amendment to the Live Entertainment Tax, legislators are looking at taxing fees or charges paid to reserve tickets or admission to future events.

Sen. Dina Neal (D-North Las Vegas) proposed an amendment to Senate Bill 367 after Burning Man recently charged their patrons to reserve future tickets. The Senate Committee on Revenue and Economic Development discussed the amendment during a hearing Thursday.

The Burning Man Project earlier this year opened up 1,000 reservations — at a cost of $2,500 each — that would guarantee the ability to buy tickets to two successive events in the future. Burning Man 2022 is expected to be the next in-person event.

Marnee Benson, Burning Man's associate director of government affairs, said the organization "strenuously opposed" the amendment. She added that Burning Man's use of reservations was a one-time strategy unique to the circumstances of the pandemic.

While Benson argued that it was unfair to tax funds that did not guarantee a patron's attendance, Neal noted that the reservations guaranteed those patrons the opportunity to attend and that was their choice to pay the nonrefundable fee.

The Live Entertainment Tax is a 9 percent tax applied to ticket sales of a variety of live events. The tax came into law in 2004 as a way for the state to gain revenue particularly from Las Vegas’s robust live entertainment industry.

Certain school, sporting, racing and nonprofit events are exempt from the tax. Neal also proposed that sporting events —— such as Raiders and Golden Knights games — lose their exemption, but that failed to make it through. The amendment as currently written would also exempt events that are strictly government fundraisers.

Nonprofit events that draw fewer than 7,500 people also are exempt. Lawmakers were considering lowering the threshold to 5,000, but walked back that change.

Burning Man became subject to the tax after revisions in 2015. The San Francisco-based nonprofit publicly disputed the tax on its ticket sales saying that it did not provide live entertainment.

"From our perspective, this is the latest attempt by an outside entity to unfairly tap the resources of Burning Man and its participants,” the organization previously stated. “Some seem to view Burning Man as the ‘golden goose’ they can turn to when they want money for other projects.”

Burning Man Project did not respond to requests for comment on Thursday.

Organizers of the 80,000-person annual celebration in the Black Rock Desert told the Reno Gazette Journal in 2016 that they pay about $2.8 million each year to the state for the Live Entertainment Tax.

In the last fiscal year before the pandemic, the tax brought in more than $131 million in revenue to the state, the Nevada Independent reported. During the pandemic, that same revenue was down to $6.2 million in fiscal year 2021, a 93 percent drop, based on state reports.

If the organization caps the $2,500 reservations at 1,000, that would bring in an additional $225,000 to the state.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Sham

Re: Nevada lawmakers seek tax on 2022 reservation donations

Post by Sham » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:48 pm

It appears to me that Nevada's greed may be killing the golden goose. :roll:

XPTom
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Shipwreck Tiki Lounge

Post by XPTom » Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:03 am

When the Las Vegas Raiders sold Personal Seat Licenses for the right to purchase tickets were they taxed?
How many old burners does it take to change a light bulb? Just one to change the bulb..... and five more to reminisce how good the old bulb was....

flexibility is the key to success....... and poor planning is the key to flexibility

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:25 pm

We have no state income tax…
We’re depending on you guys :lol:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

ygmir
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:32 pm

does that surprise anyone? Democrats run NV politics, yes?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:26 am

Hahahahaha ^^
If you seriously don’t think the NV repubs wouldn’t do the same, ya might need a brain check :coffee:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:35 am

lucky420 wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:26 am
Hahahahaha ^^
If you seriously don’t think the NV repubs wouldn’t do the same, ya might need a brain check :coffee:
did I say, or even imply, this?^^
But, well, NV is dem run, yes?
So is CA, and look at our tax and fee structures....and we've been left dominated for many years.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Dr. Pyro
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:08 am

Yes Yggy, you're right, Dems run NV. And Lucky is so bigoted and narrow minded instead of admitting you're right, she blames people who aren't even there. Typical ignorant lib. Happily I have plonked her so when she begins whining about my statement, I'll not even see it. Happy days indeed.

some seeing eye
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:13 pm

I'm a liberal, more radical than some on some issues, but can't support every policy on the front edge by AOC. I do support other of her policies.

I'm in the camp that government can learn new ways of doing things.

Those would be quarterly management by objective for every employee, zero-based budgeting, continuous improvement, and agile. For many employees agile is management by objective at the daily stand up level or the sprint level. The most important way of thinking, which the government usually lacks, is a customer relationship with taxpayers and residents.

I see that in state and local government in my area. Specifically in this case, government departments are not able to reduce expenses or reallocate resources in an economic crisis. They are not customer-focused.

There has also been a massive federal cash infusion to state and local government that may have been poorly prioritized.

For the NV legislature to do this to get $225K will make a lot of burner political donors unhappy unnecessarily. If it passed through committee, and passed the NV House and Senate, there will be recorded by name votes, along with the proposer, and sponsors.

My guess is the Doc, and his critics, would support all of the above.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:28 pm

lucky420 wrote:
Hahahahaha ^^
wait: did you just "whataboutism" me? hahhaa :wink: :wink:
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:43 am

Dr. Pyro wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:08 am
Yes Yggy, you're right, Dems run NV. And Lucky is so bigoted and narrow minded instead of admitting you're right, she blames people who aren't even there. Typical ignorant lib. Happily I have plonked her so when she begins whining about my statement, I'll not even see it. Happy days indeed.
Hahahahaha such a little bitch, he ^ can’t even make a statement w/out being to wimpy to stick around for a reply. It’s ok little dude, we know you’re fragile stay in your safe place and keep clutching those pearls. Happy days indeed asshole! :coffee: :lol:

p.s. if foolass has me plonked how did he know… :roll:
Last edited by lucky420 on Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:45 am

ygmir wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:28 pm
lucky420 wrote:
Hahahahaha ^^
wait: did you just "whataboutism" me? hahhaa :wink: :wink:
I guess it could sound like I did. Lol :wink:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:12 pm

Burning Man is chock full of liberals.
It was fun anyway.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Sham

Post by Sham » Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:36 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:12 pm
Burning Man is chock full of liberals.
It was fun anyway.
Burning Man is full of all political views. So many longtime friendships have been strained and destroyed over the past 4 years. People got downright hurtful to each other. I don't recall any other political atmosphere over the years being this destructive. I feel it very strong in my office as well.

The Rod
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: THREAT

Post by The Rod » Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:59 pm

OK BOOMERS

Return to “Tickets Discussion”