New Boards/Category Structure

Read-only messages from the Burning Man Staff
trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

New Boards/Category Structure

Postby trilobyte » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:25 pm

I'm pleased to announce the 2016 season boards, as well as some changes to the ePlaya category structure. The changes might seem crazy and strange at first, but let me take a few minutes to walk you through them and acquaint you with the new layout.

As many of you may be aware, the burningman.com web site got a major overhaul and relaunched as burningman.org in November of last year. Since its launch the site has continued to evolve and expand to better serve both the event and the community, and it's organizational structure has started to take shape. Specifically, that structure has taken the shape of The Event, The Culture, The Network, and Stuff & Things.

We wanted to line ePlaya up with that structure, but also play to our strengths. The biggest of which is our preparation boards - we've been a maker community longer than makers have been a thing! So, to that end, instead of just a board for "The Event" we have Event Preparation and The 2016 Event as major categories. Also, earlier this year we revised our terms of service and had opened the door a bit more on commerce posting, so we wanted to move forward with the Show Your Support board. With that in mind, here's how we're organized moving forward.

• Greeter's Station - we've been doing this online for more than a decade. Now it's no longer a nest of boards, but right there at the top of the site. If you haven't said hello and introduced yourself, we welcome you to go there, start a new thread, and tell us a bit about yourself.
  • Event Preparation - our long-running Preparation boards. This is Burning Man's living brain trust, with over a hundred thousand posts on thousands of topics related to projects and planning for the event. We changed the name of Shelter & Camping to Building Camps & Villages, and we've added boards for Building Art Installations and Building Mutant Vehicles for artists and makers to discuss topics relevant to those types of projects.
  • The 2016 Event - our boards that are specific to the 2016 event. Discuss the art theme and ticketing, announce or talk about plans for Art & Performance or Theme Camps & Villages. We've renamed Share Resources to be Rideshares & Resource Sharing because we think that name is a bit more clear about what the board is for.
  • The Culture - think of this as a re-branding of our All About Burning Man category. Within that category, Politics & Philosophy has been re-branded as Philosophical Center, our Years Past have been moved in as the Historical Archives, and the Stories/Experiences at Burning Man boards have been merged as a single Stories board.
  • The Network - think of this as a re-branding of our Year Round Connections category. Where we used to have a board for Regionals & Events, we now have a Regional Network board dedicated to official regional group news and events, and Connect With Burners for all the unofficial gatherings, meetups, and events. Get Involved lives here now, and continues to serve as a place to talk about getting involved with various projects.
  • Show Your Support - this is unchanged, and will continue to serve the community as a place for fundraiser and limited commerce posting.
  • Stuff & Things - on the main site this is a catch-all category for things that don't fit in the above space... and we use it in a similar fashion. First and foremost is our Open Discussion board, where burners talk about all things outside of Burning Man. From there, we take care of a bit of housekeeping. The Overview of the ePlaya has been renamed to ePlaya Overview, and it's followed by ePlaya Announcements, and then ePlaya Feedback. We think it's a better fit to place these ePlaya-centric sections here, rather than trying to steal the focus from the Greeter's Station at the top of the board.

You'll also notice that the 2015 Lost & Found boards are in the category hierarchy. We do that on a seasonal basis - the Lost & Found boards get moved to the top level from the time of the event until the end of the calendar year. Once we reach the end of the year, they'll be moved into the Historical Archives for the 2015 event.

Over the next few days and weeks, the mod team and I will be working to get any posts and threads that need to move... moved into the right place for them. Let's face it, though, ePlaya is a mighty big place. We've got over 50,000 topics and over a million posts. If you see something that looks out of place, please do us a huge favor and flag it for review. You can do that easily by clicking on the triangular icon with an exclamation point in it. That puts it on our radar, so we can review it and make sure it gets to the right spot.

Thanks for your patience, and we hope you're as excited about 2016 and beyond as we are!

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Re: New Boards/Category Structure

Postby gaminwench » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:45 pm

Thanks, Trilo, for all of the housekeeping and site management!

Question: is that the royal 'we', do all of the mods consult on this stuff, or do you have a mousie in your pocket? :mrgreen:

Dusty hugs!
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby trilobyte » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:24 pm

I did all the work of setting up the boards (not because everyone else is a bunch of slackers but because ai've got the admin privileges), but it is by all means a team effort. The categorization project has been in the works for a year and involved a few conversations with different people within Burning Man, and once I'd come up with the structure I ran it past the team for their feedback and input.

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service

Postby Elliot » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:15 am

I cannot find the Playa Exchange board which -- according to the Commerce Policy of April 2015 -- should exist under Show Your Support. Was this board "not a success"?
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service, Healing Arts, Body Paint & Piano Bar
Cell-Phone-Free & Non-Smoking in 2018!

-----Bike come unglued? Take it to the nude dude! -----

http://www.elliotsbikes.org

Awesome? Yes, Ma'am, we do awesome.

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Eric » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:47 pm

Elliot wrote:I cannot find the Playa Exchange board which -- according to the Commerce Policy of April 2015 -- should exist under Show Your Support. Was this board "not a success"?

It's still there, under the same board: Board index ‹ Show Your Support ‹ Playa Exchange
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Postby Ratty » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:43 pm

Hummmm. If I click on your link I get

Information

You are not authorised to read this forum.

If I go through the board index I get re-routed to Trillos info page. Is it too early in the season for fundraising?

I remember some of the commerce boards were only going to be available during certain months.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

Elliot

Postby Elliot » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:48 pm

Same "You are not authorized..." here.
Somebody posted a bus for sale this morning or last night, and that post disappeared. I didn't notice where he posted it.
Starting with the Board Index, I come to a stop with Show Your Support.
Commerce Policy says Exchange is up October thru July.

Elliot

Postby Elliot » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:49 pm

And I made sure I am not in the un-subscribe group for such posts.

trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby trilobyte » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:00 pm

If a post has been pulled, it goes to a place you are not authorized to view.

That same commerce policy also says we don't do vehicle sales. We also clean out the commerce boards each year, I'll check the links in the policy documents to make sure they're connecting to the right posts in the 2016 boards.

trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby trilobyte » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:13 pm

Following up, I did find and fix a permissions glitch on the new Show Your Support boards. You should now see boards for Support A Project, Recommendations, Playa Exchange, and Burnerpreneurs.

Thanks for finding and reporting that!

Elliot

Postby Elliot » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:12 pm

Our calling is to serve.