ePlaya switching to .org

Read-only messages from the Burning Man Staff
trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

ePlaya switching to .org

Post by trilobyte » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:01 pm

Heads-up, we will be switching ePlaya from .com to .org sometime tomorrow (21 January, 2016). This should hopefully be pretty seamless and transparent - once the change is made you should be automatically re-directed to eplaya.burningman.org any time you click on an eplaya.burningman.org link.

Depending on your browser preferences and settings, you may need to re-enter any stored usernames/passwords, and may be prompted to authorize the domain. I wanted to let you know that yes, this is both intentional and being done by Burning Man.

We do not expect any downtime, and we expect everything to be completed in the morning (prior to noon PST). Should you encounter any issues logging in or accessing the site, please do not hesitate to send me a PM, or you can reach me via email using trilo@burningman.org.

Thanks!

trilobyte
Site Admin

Re: ePlaya switching to .org

Post by trilobyte » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:49 am

The domain has been switched, however the re-direct is not yet configured and working.

A few users are reporting that when they try to log into eplaya.burningman.org, they are being told that their login was successful, and then getting dumped right back at the login screen. If this is happening to you, go to eplaya.burningman.org to login.

Bless
Burning Since: 2012

Post by Bless » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:12 pm

I hate change.
FUCK YOU, I'M A WIZARD. FUCK YOU, I'M A SHARK.

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:19 pm

Gimme a quarter!!! :twisted:
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:09 pm

Thanks for sharing, Bless, but that's less a site issue and more a personal psychological issue. :wink:

Hang in there folks, the tech team is still working on the re-direct.

The tech team has finished setting up a re-direct, so now any links that point to some location on eplaya.burningman.org will get re-directed to the same location on eplaya.burningman.org - so any existing ePlaya posts that link to another page on the site, or an external site that links to something on ePlaya, should work as expected. If you encounter any problems or issues, please let me know asap.

Cheers!

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:30 pm

We are going to have a few minutes of downtime this afternoon. The awesome folks on the tech team are going to go in at the database level and fix all the existing posts on the board to replace eplaya.burningman.org with eplaya.burningman.org.

I apologize in advance for any inconvenience, I'll post once everything's done and we're all clear.

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:58 pm

The database-level work (and subsequent downtime) has been postponed for now. It'll hopefully happen tomorrow, early in the day. [Update: Done]

renee
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Love Potion

Post by renee » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:47 pm

Did posts get lost in the switch? The "Support a Project" forum topic looks like it only has 2 discussions, which seems a little lean to me. Or are past years' discussions hidden elsewhere?

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:11 pm

No posts were lost. While the URL changed, that doesn't mean we packed up the boards and moved to a new location across town, it was basically us staying in the same place and simply changing the address on the front of the building.

We archive the old posts from the Show Your Support boards (which includes Support A Project) every season (you can read through them in the Historical Archives). There aren't any listings for fundraisers for this year's projects yet because it's still very early in the season.

Return to “ePlaya Announcements”