ePlaya 2016 Updates

Read-only messages from the Burning Man Staff
trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

ePlaya 2016 Updates

Postby trilobyte » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:16 pm

It occurred to me this morning that I have not yet posted the full-on announcement of the upgrade and launch of the new site. There's a lot of awesome stuff to mention and some wonderful people to thank, so let me get right on that.

This week, we took the site down for several hours and completed what is possibly the biggest upgrade ePlaya has had since this incarnation of the message board launched in 2003. It's a project that's been in the works for at least a year and a half, and something that would not have been possible without the support of a whole bunch of awesome, helpful, and patient people that I'll get to thanking at the end of this post. In the meantime, let me run down some of the changes, enhancements, and improvements.

On the surface, it doesn't sound very big - we upgraded the PHPBB software that powers the site from version 3.0.12 to the current 3.1.8 version. Don’t let the numbers fool you, though, it’s a pretty significant upgrade for us. The developers of PHPBB re-wrote great big chunks of the software from the ground up to take advantage of modern technology and more efficient ways of getting things done, plus they completely overhauled how the software gets customized. That means the site now runs a lot more smoothly even when there's a heavy load, and that users on mobile devices (such as phones and tablets) will see much better performance.

One of the most important technology changes is support for a responsive design. That means that instead of users on phones and tablets having to do lots of pinching and zooming and playing around to get things done, the site now detects the width of your browser tab, phone, or tablet display and responds by serving up a page formatted for that. Rotate the display, and the site adjusts to accommodate. I ramble a bit more on performance and design here, if you're interested to know more.

Here’s a list of the changes and improvements we have planned.

• Message Editor - writing posts and messages has become a whole lot easier on the eyes and we now have a graphical toolbar, and the site supports additional formatting options.
  • Notification Center - we have a whole new notification system. You can easily configure how you prefer to be notified about threads you're following, messages, and even when you get quoted in somebody else's post. You can find out more about that here.
  • Avatars - we have increased the max resolution of avatars to 200x200 pixels. The avatar size will automatically scale down on smaller screens and display thumbnails on posts for phones, only displaying the larger size image on a user’s profile page. In addition to uploading, avatars may now be fetched from the Gravatar service.
  • Images & Attachments - we made a number of improvements here. Embedded or uploaded images over 640 pixels wide will now show a 640 pixel thumbnail in the post, and display a larger image in a lightbox on tablets and computers (automatically resizing to fit the device’s display). Also, when you quote a post that uses embedded images, those image embeds will be reduced to thumbnail view to reduce the amount of space taken up on the page. Uploading attachments will also be a lot easier and less tedious.
  • Media Embedding - embedding videos, twitter posts, and other media has gotten a whole lot easier. Read more about it here.
  • Memberlist improvements - most importantly, searching the memberlist is now a live search, which will save a lot of typing and guesswork when trying to find friends. The list also will display the ‘Burning Since’ and Camp Name’ info if a user has entered it.