The Art of Gifting

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
Mason1985
Burning Since: 2016

The Art of Gifting

Postby Mason1985 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:05 pm

I'm a giver - what can i say.

I enjoy buying gifts at Xmas and Christmas to pass along to family and friends.

First time getting involved in the antics of Burningman and wanted to see what quirky ideas people had seen / used as gifts in the past? Yeah we all love a bit of free love and hugs but something a little more interesting im thinking.

A little more interesting, we're not talking bars of solid Gold.

asr9754

Re: The Art of Gifting

Postby asr9754 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:17 pm

Trinkets as gifts are tough because they are often not useful and people don't want to carry them around, or they become MOOP.
Try to think of something you are good at, something unique or useful, that's a better gift than a random object. If you are artistic you could do some art project to give. Even if not, anyone can give sunscreen back rubs. Eyedrops. Bike lube. Regular lube?
I always like a mint or throat drop. Help your neighbors when they are having trouble setting up their XYZ. Give a cold drink to someone sweating their balls off.

Chowski
Burning Since: 2009

Postby Chowski » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:50 pm

Gifting makes Burning Man go 'round. Since you are a virgin, you needn't worry about gifting, and really shouldn't focus on giving physical items - just go and participate. If you really reaaaallllly want to gift, try something small at first - on a set time frame so you are actively "gifting" for only an hour or so, and enjoying yourself the rest of the time. My advice would be to set some parameters for yourself. Such as:

Bring 30 or 60 good canned beers (or a couple 2-liters of soda or gallons of water or jars of pickles). On Thursday, ice them down freezing cold, then stand outside your RV and offer them to passersby until they are gone (most people will carry their own cups, and will love some ice-cold soda). It is simple, those who want one will be delighted to get one, you will meet a ton of grateful people, and you will only "work" for 1/2 hour.

Stand outside your RV on the street as people pass by on a HOT day. Bring a large shemagh or lightweight fabric and dip it in a bucket of cold water, and offer people "Air Conditioned Hugs" as you wrap them in the cool towel you hug them. Do that for an hour. Many people will love you for it.

Buy a new, clean garden sprayer (the kind you would use to spread pesticides on a lawn). Fill it with cold water (and maybe some pleasant-smelling oils) and head over to a daytime dance party. Stand to the side of the dance floor, point it into the air and watch as the crazy sweaty people smile and boogy your way for a cool-down.

You will soon learn at Burning Man that Gifting isn't exclusively about physical gifts, it's more about creating memorable experiences for others. Big camps make parties, artists make art, individuals can make a moment a little more pleasant. Shoot for that. I, for one, would rather get an ice cold pepsi and a hug than another plastic trinket.

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby some seeing eye » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:10 pm

^ ^This.

The opening of the gift is eye contact and a smile.
If it's returned, the second part is an introduction, conversation, exchanging experiences.
Go from there wherever it goes.
The gift part is thank you for this experience to the extent of the gift if you sense it feels right.

My theory.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Sham

Postby Sham » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:29 pm

The idea of gifting can be a very unique thing. In most cases I use it to make a connection with people. It's very important to gift a needed or wanted item. I bring lots of bike locks. Those are desperately needed. I recall a father and son who must have been on the playa for the first time, and they were very skeptical and asking how much I was selling them for.

Plastic trinkets from Oriental Trading are dreaded. No one wants a plastic whistle or noise maker toy. (trust me)

Since nothing can be sold with the Burning Man logo on it, but the org allows and encourages full use for gifts, anything with the various BM logos is welcomed with giddy glee. Temporary tattoos, jewelry, bumper stickers, shot glasses etc.

As was said before, first timers should get a feel for the event and not go crazy the first year.

Here is a simple Google search on Burning Man swag:
http://tinyurl.com/zc6gxxv

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Postby Savannah » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:43 am

I googled eplaya gifts and found many large threads. Here are just a sample:

Playa gift ideas
viewtopic.php?t=25128

Gifts for the playa
viewtopic.php?t=38967

Best Gift Received
viewtopic.php?t=678

There are many more, if you repeat the search.
*** 2017 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

somebodys-mom
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Camp 511. We provide your traffic info

Postby somebodys-mom » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:13 pm

I bring candy and Otter Pops. I have an RV with a freezer so I've found a box of Otter Pops lasts me about a week. I sit outside under the shade and hand them out to people who look overly warm and thirsty. If they stick around to eat them, I even take the moop back (I figure I brought it, I should take it away).
Beware of inviting trouble. It usually accepts.

graidawg
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: CAMP Hooker

Postby graidawg » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:10 am

Me! My wonderful self, only less of me this year now that I'm marred.
So we're opening a bar instead
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.

tatonka
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Postby tatonka » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:46 am

" Make me strong , not to be superiour to my brothers , to fight my greatest enemy ....... myself . " Chief Dan George .

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Eric » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:53 pm

Chowski's advice is really good, but I disagree with one part:
Chowski wrote: a set time frame so you are actively "gifting" for only an hour or so

Gifting should be part of the flow of your day, not a separate job. I've made a small run of Burning Man specific stickers the last few years as a personal gift* and I give them out during my travels. If I'm chatting with someone or connecting in some way, or at a camp I'm really enjoying, I offer them a sticker (or two, or three). No "setting aside time", no schedule to stick to, no staying in camp when you get the itch to explore. This is a vacation (for me), and something vastly different than most other places. Don't force yourself to live by any more rules than you have to to avoid being kicked out.

*(as opposed to our newspaper, which is a group gift from our camp)
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Chowski
Burning Since: 2009

Postby Chowski » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:43 pm

"Gifting should be part of the flow of your day, not a separate job."

That's a nice thought, and I certainly also gift as I travel, but there are plenty of time-specific ways that people gift. For instance, I have run a bar for several years. That bar isn't running unless I am there, running it. One year we did a sunset wine bar, each sunset, I had to "work". My suggestion to this virgin was not so much about making a separate job of gifting as it was bringing something easy to gift, and when the fancy struck him, standing out on the street and doing it.

I am, every year, overwhelmed by the vast numbers of people who gift in small ways, often from right in front of their camps. I think this advice is good for a virgin. Until they figure out the breadth of things they COULD do, it's best to plan something small which they WILL do.

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Dr. Pyro » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:46 am

This doesn't surprise me one bit. Republicans and men are the best tippers.

http://www.fa-mag.com/news/men-and-repu ... -232738057

FlyingMonkey

Postby FlyingMonkey » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:30 am

Knowing how to receive a gift is important to. it's a bummer to have someone not want the gift you're offering. Of course that depends on the gift & how you approach people.

I gift homebrew & never had that problem :-)

But I have caught myself unintentionally not accepting other peoples gifts. It's something that I know I need to work on.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

MyDearFriend
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Postby MyDearFriend » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:05 pm

My favorite gifts to both give and receive are the totally invisible gifts of Leaving No Trace, Picking Up MOOP, and Exiting The PortaPotty With The Lid Down* Over A Clean Seat.

Seriously. If you find a MOOP-free patch of playa you have been given a great gift. Please accept that gift gratefully and return it ten-fold. 8)

* Lid Down = Vent System Working
"Burning Man ruined my life as I knew it, and I have never been happier." -mgb327

"BTW I'm not your wife so don't lie to me." -Ratty

BBadger

Postby BBadger » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:22 am

^-- +1 to MDF
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Spontaneous1
Burning Since: 2008

Postby Spontaneous1 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:20 am

I agree with many that, for me, the best gifts are people picking up moop, great conversations, and random experiences.

But, if your question is focused on physical items.... go for quality not quantity.

After spending almost a decade on the Playa (and camping with people there longer than I), I can tell you, the physical gifts I value most are the ones I take back with me every year or wear or use back in everyday life. I appreciate every gift I get at burning man, but there are ones that are truly special; ones you feel lucky to have received; and face it, ones you show everyone at your camp when you get back.

Any google search for Burning Man Gifting or Burning Man Swag will get you some ideas. Etsy can be be a great place to find handmade unique gifts made by Burners for Burners. Pinterest has some fun top ## lists for Burning man gifts.

Here's some spots I've checked out recently:
https://www.pinterest.com/fullin2bac/bu ... as-top-20/
https://www.etsy.com/shop/PlayaDestinyD ... eader-name
https://www.etsy.com/search?q=burning%2 ... &ref=auto3
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/509540145 ... 8/?lp=true

FlyingMonkey

Postby FlyingMonkey » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:33 am

MyDearFriend wrote:My favorite gifts to both give and receive are the totally invisible gifts of Leaving No Trace, Picking Up MOOP, and Exiting The PortaPotty With The Lid Down* Over A Clean Seat.

Seriously. If you find a MOOP-free patch of playa you have been given a great gift. Please accept that gift gratefully and return it ten-fold. 8)

* Lid Down = Vent System Working

Be a MOOP warrior. Especially the morning after a huge art burn. I'm willing to bet that on average 50% of the people who volunteer to do LNT for a large project are no-shows. If you want to give a non-physical gift that will really be appreciated help a LNT team the morning after a burn. Everyone loves to watch the burn & fireworks but so few take the time to help clean up afterwards. Those awesome fireworks are incredibly moopy.

Moop bags are a pratical gift too :-)

Oh yeah, put the toilet seats down too. +++
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

Avacadi
Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Avacadi » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:45 pm

Human connection.

Oh and popsicles if you have a freezer. I loved that this year.
MAYOR of ants

Cellar Door

YourselfBonus
Camp Name: Awsome101

Postby YourselfBonus » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:12 am

some seeing eye wrote:^ ^This.

The opening of the gift is eye contact and a smile.
If it's returned, the second part is an introduction, conversation, exchanging experiences.
Go from there wherever it goes.
The gift part is thank you for this experience to the extent of the gift if you sense it feels right.

My theory.

Oh yes, I agree with you.

Perpetual Burn
Burning Since: 2015

Postby Perpetual Burn » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:48 pm

So, simple but so satisfying on a hot day... super soakers filled with ice water...

Misting tunnels on the sides of roads... clutch.

Another simple gift is a camelpak with water... at least ten parched people a day will approach you begging for water. If you want to have a little extra fun after they chug your water, tell them it was actually full of acid and walk away briskly. :mrgreen:

But unique gifts are often the best... nothing that could've been bought at a store... something that took heart and Love to create... especially when they come from someone after you've had time to bond with them and you know the gift wasn't their obligation, it was their choice to give you that unique gift.

^Hundred dollar bills? Yeah, these kind...

"Have you been to Camp Campy Camp?" :lol:
Love brings us Home
Hope restores our soul
We Burn on the Playa of the
Black Rock Desert
& We fear no evil
for the Man is on our side
Surely Faith & Love will follow
All our Lives
& We will dwell in the house of Love
Forever

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Postby Ratty » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:08 pm

Another simple gift is a camelpak with water... at least ten parched people a day will approach you begging for water.

I've had EXACTLY two people ask me for water. (Since 2008)

By the way it's called a CamelBak.

Lend a hand. People need muscle. People need your time and patience.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

bestia
Burning Since: 2015

Postby bestia » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:32 am

Its so great to know that we are our own best gift to give. Our pure loving energy directed at another individual is sooooo powerful…it makes no difference if its making them a drink, offering a sun tan lotion massage, asking them if they are having a good time and genuinely listening to what they have to say.
Cheers, Bestia

Return to “Philosophical Center”